4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Komandoo Maldive Island Resort

Wonderful Komandoo

by Lucieee about Komandoo Island

The service, rooms, staff, food, snorkelling are all excellent on Komandoo. It is small, romantic and idyllic. The rooms are lovely with an outside bathroom. The food is all buffet style but great choice. A special mention to the lovely 'Riza' who works in the Restaurant.

Would recommend for couples and for the fact that you get to transfer by Seaplane, which is a real treat. Views over the atolls are spectacular. No pool (which for me is a bonus), no children ("), a lovely relaxing holiday in perfect surroundings.

Lovely island and people

by TripAdvisor Member russt1969

This island really is paradise on earth. The staff are all friendly and very willing to help. They made us very welcome indeed. The food is 1st class. Be prepared for great food. Always a good choice.
I've stayed at one other island in the Maldives and by far Komandoo is the better one.
Well worth the 10 hour flight from Gatwick and then the 40 min flight on a sea plane.

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member Mopps

Having read a couple of negative reviews I was slightly apprehensive but I needn't have worried, this place is paradise! The viilas are clean and spacious and the whole island is beautiful. Its very small which means you can stroll all the way around and also get to snorkel on both sides, each of which has very different coral so the snorkelling is great and varied. The food is wonderful though as a vegetarian the choice wasn't great, having said that I certainly didn't starve! The staff are friendly and helpful and there was NEVER a problem getting more than a couple of drinks at meal times, our glasses were never empty and nothing was too much trouble. The spa is wonderful also. With regards to the previous reviews mention of rubbish, there was some whilst we were there. There were a few storms and a nearby island appears to have a fair bit of rubbish which washes over to Komandoo, but it really wasn'y an issue. The beach is raked (as is the whole island) every day and rubbish collected so it really isn't an issue. They obviously can't control what the sea washes in but they do their utmost to remove anything that washes up so don't let that put you off. If you're after a busy, noisy holiday then this place isn't for you. If however, you want to chill and have peace and quiet then Komandoo is the place to go!

Water Villas are well worth the extra

by TripAdvisor Member MikeDoncaster

The holiday in Komandoo was excellent. We Have been to the Maldives 4 times, to different hotels. This was the best one we have stayed in. We stayed in the water villas. Well worth the extra. The decking is extremelly private, there are screens sheiling you from your neighbours, with a double day bed, double lounger and table and chairs. The rooms are actually better than the photographs in the brochures. If its raining you can borrow DVD's from reception.
Food is extremely good, service is excellent.
Down sides:
They charge for snorkling equipment - so take your own. We only took mask and snorkle and had to hire the fins at $3 a day ($84 for two people two weeks) so take some with you.
The cocktails in the bar are not included - but I do not drink cocktails anyway.
Thats it, and I can normally find much more to complain about

Not acceptable and a disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member Maldive_lover1

We’ve just returned from Komandoo and will NEVER be visiting again.
We complained on our first day (within an hour of arriving) the villa was nice enough and we decided to go for a walk along the beach. We were shocked at the amount of rubbish littering the shore as we stepped outside our door (nappies/diapers, sanitary towels, assorted wrappers and even a flip-flop), We phoned Guest Relations and asked to change rooms to the other side of the island (this island really is 2 different halves, one paradise, the other a dump). They advised us that they would check and get back to us.

Several phone calls (by us) later and still no respnse, we walked around to reception to see them in person and asked to speak to the manager who shrugged his shoulders and was no help whatsoever. We were told that the island was 100% capacity which was a lie as there were several empty villas which were apparently being held empty for nearly a week for "repeaters"!!! (sound business sense!!) The staff were given extra beach cleaning duties and patrols came around cleaning but the beach was littered again 10 minutes after their patrol. The excuse was there had been a storm and lots of rubbish was being washed up (from where?)

Obviously the appearance of the rubbish is not their fault but maybe someone should address where the problem is originating from seeing as this is an on-going issue. We've paid a lot of money to go there and we are paying just as much as people on the "clean, nice" side of the island where they put the "repeaters". The newcomers it seems have to put up with the rubbish, not exactly the way to foster repeat business you would think.

It's not just that side which has rubbish, in fact the whole island has rubbish caught up in the breakwaters, in the coral, even floating around the restaurant. 44 gallon oil drums were hung from the end of the jetty in the sea to “clean them out”, the result is an oil slick that was all over the fish and heading for shore, We were so shocked, the staff comment was “why is everyone always bothered about keeping the Maldives clean”!

A week and a half later, we were moved to our second villa where some of the lights didn’t work, the sink plug was broken and the safe didn’t work! It was a struggle to get more than two drinks with your dinner on All Inclusive. Our waiter told us if we gave him a big tip he would give us good service! I thought a tip was a reward for good service not a bribe! The staff are not typical of the Maldives, it was a big surprise and disappointment as we have visited other islands in the Maldives and received much better service, We now advise people not to go to this island and for repeaters to Komandoo, I would say visit other islands as we have done and you will understand why many people are complaining. Very poor standards and not very good service at all. Negative comments seem to "disappear" from the guestbook on their website, not giving a true indication of people's opinions. Our decision to go to Komandoo was based partly on comments in their guestbook and I wonder how many other people's decisions are affected by this. It makes me wonder how long this practise of deleting negative comments has been going on.

I have photos and videos of the rubbish if anyone is interested. I shared these with Guest Relations who just shrugged their shoulders and blamed it on the neighbouring island. The one redeeming feature of Komandoo is the staff in the Dive Centre, they are fantastic and seemed to be the only ones interested in keeping the Maldives clean, even collecting rubbish on dives.

The food was good and some of the staff were friendly but unfortunately badly let down by the rest.

We leave Komandoo with the feeling that they just don’t care… This was our big holiday and feel very disappointed, nothing can change that (not that they even tried to!).

Absolute paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member Emma&Ade

We have recently returned from our honeymoon in Komandoo (our first ever visit!) and must say that we had an absolutely amazing time.

I am really suprised by a couple of the other reviews written on this website as I must say that we only have positive things to say about the island.

When we arrived we were welcomed by the Maldivian Band and were the served with a fruit cocktail and cocunut ice cream - which was wondeful after such a long journey.

We were then shown to our room - a Jacuzzi Beach Villa which was beautifully furnished, exceptionally clean and which exceeded all our expectations.

The scenery around the island was stunning. The beach was absoultely beautiful - soft, white sand and the sea was clean - we swam in it everyday. We also sat on the terrace in the restaurant on a number of occasions and watced the fish and baby sharks swimming around (no signs of oil drums when we were there!!!)

We found all the staff extremely friendly and helpful. Our waiter, Wahaab was a star and we never had an empty glass! I'm really suprised to hear people saying that they struggled to get more than two drinks at mealtimes with the AI package as this was never a problem for us. The food was also wonderful and we were extremely impressed by both the quality and choice. Silva and Ahmeed in the bar were legends and kept us entertained and topped up with drinks whenever we were in the bar.

We also used the Dive School and the Spa while we were there and were extremely impressed with the quality of service in both. The Swedish Aromotherapy Massage was amazing!

All in all it was an absolutely amazing holiday and we couldn't have chosen a more perfect destination for our honeymoon.

Relaxing Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member CrystalandShawn

We honeymooned here after getting married in Sri Lanka, we did a lot of research into finding the best island for us & we certainly weren't disappointed with Komandoo.

We arrived to a wonderful warm welcome & were more than happy with the Water Villa. We requested a certain number & were given the exact one (Eagleray 7) We found it helpful to know beforehand that if you are staying in a Water Villa you should request Eagleray 7 or above or you may get a view of the industrial side of the island. (Not that it's awful but it's good to know this information before you book so al least you can put in a request).

The Water Villas are fabulous & you feel a fantastic sense of being in paradise when you wake up every morning in the middle of the Indian Ocean! If it is total relaxation you want then this is the place. Watch for mosquitoes on the deserted island. You will be offered free trips there every day. We went & it was fabulous as we were on our own for 3 hours. We got bitten a fair bit but the snorkelling here was great.

Food was good, nothing outstanding but it was nice that there was a lot of variety. The house wines aren't up to much either but pleasant enough. There were a few miserable faces in the restaurant from other holiday makers, we found it quite strange considering it is such a popular honeymoon destination! It didn't stop us from being happy though. The staff are pleasant, laid back & quiet people, a contrast from the Sri Lankan people who are very warm & friendly. Just a cultural difference.

Snorkelling is good although sad to see a lot of dead coral. Island is clean & just as you imagine it to be - paradise!
We enjoyed our time here & satisfied a travel dream, we have had a picture of the Maldives in our bathroom for a while & used to look at it whilst lying in the bath, imagining being there. Now we can add some pictures of our own!

Highly recommended.

KOMANDOO RESORT- LHAVIYANI ATOLL

by DOUGALSMUM

"A stunning alternative to kuredu"

Having decided that kuredu was too lively for me i transferred to komandoo resort, which is run by the same company as kuredu-but is totally different in style and content.
Komandoo is approx 30 mins by boat from kuredu, and in fact can be visited on one of the island hopping trips from kuredu.
It is a very small island - only 45 rooms (compared to kuredu"s 300+ rooms) with a lovely welcoming atmosphere, starting when you get off the transfer boat and are greeted by bodu-bera drums and all the staff smiling and wishing you welcome, the coconut drink (straight from the shell) and icecream you receive whilst filling in your registration form is a lovely and thoughtful touch- typical of this island and its staff.

"accomodation"

All accomodation is of the same type on komandoo- all are deluxe bungalows ON the beach- literally steps from the waters edge, the only difference is weather you have a room on the sunset or sunrise side of the island. I personally prefered the sunrise side which led straight into the sheltered lagoon, but other people prefered the sunset side, even though (or because) it had a view of the local island opposite.
All rooms had cd players, tea/coffee makers, minibar, aircon and fan, you had a lovely wood deck with chairs and steps straight onto the beach where you had two full length sunloungers, the bathrooms were typically maldivian (part open air) with twin sinks and luxurious glass tile shower.It goes without saying that all rooms were kept spotless and well maintained. An added bonus was the two litre bottle of water provided free of charge daily.

It was a lovely bathroom and made for a very entertaining shower watching the family of geckos that were in residence ( see my maldives kuramathi page animals of the maldives travelogue)

If you get up early enough you will see some fabulous sunrises- this one taken from my bed!

"YOUR OWN ISLAND"

One of the unique trips offered at komandoo is a half day trip to a deserted island, just opposite komandoo- the trip is for a minimum of two (very romantic) to maximum six guests ( to maintain the "deserted" feeling, it runs every day AND ITS FREE OF CHARGE!
To be honest i never went on it as the atmosphere on komandoo was so calm and relaxed that i didnt feel the need to escape.

"THE FOOD IS EXCELLENT"

The food is excellent with so much choice! fabolous sand floor restaurant with a sundeck over the lagoon if you get there early enough you might be lucky enough to bag one of the tables on the sundeck( particularly nice to eat breakfast out there)
The bar is is quiet but friendly the "demon" pouring the lethal cocktails is the fantastic "Silva", who not only is a first rate barman but an entertaining character as well- but be carefull of his measures!!
Talking of entertaining characters- most nights the music will be played by the inimitable ALI - , Ali seems to be everywhere, hes at reception, hes on the trips , he"s there to book you in on arrival- then he"s the d.j at night- I"m begginning to suspect he is one of quads!
The bar (theres only one ) is situated between the restaurant and the reception so its a great place to sit and watch the world go by during the day.

"A Fabulous destination"

All in all, if your idea of a perfect holiday is somewhereVERY quiet with fantastic scenery, great food and first rate service- komandoo is for you

"BEWARE OF THE MEASURES!"

The building in the photo is the bar- enter with extreme caution!, this is the lair of the fiend known as Silva who's drinks measures are legendary-enter at your own risk!
ONLY JOKING-Silva is the wonderfull barman who is excellent company and by the end of your holiday will no doubt be a trusted friend- but you do need to watch out for those measures- pack plenty of alka-seltzer!
Just behind the bar is the spa, and just next to that is the restaurant-all built to blend into the scenery.

MALDIVES SCENERY VIEWS

by DOUGALSMUM

"WHEREVER YOU LOOK-STUNNING VIEWS"

My second visit to the maldives took in kuredu and komandoo island resorts (take a look at my kuredu page for more info).
Here are some of the views that i saw.
The first picture shows komandoo island taken from the jetty , with coral garden clearly visible.

"ITS ONLY WATER!"

Yes sometimes it rains in the maldives- but its only water!, the rain soon passes, and anyway you are in paradise who cares about a bit of rain.

"SPECTACULAR SUNSETS"

The maldives has spectacular sunsets in abundance, in fact you can get quite blase about them-till you get home and realise what you are missing.

what bar do you know with a view like this.

Not all islands have pools, lets face it they dont really need them with the indian ocean on your doorstep, but those that do have stunning views.

"THE STEREOTYPICAL MALDIVIAN ISLAND"

Go on any boat trip and you will see the atolls are peppered with these beautiful idyillic little islands

"YOU WILL ALWAYS BE GREETED BY A BEAUTIFUL ISLAND"

ON arrival at your chosen resort you will always be greeted by a beautiful sight-no matter what size island and whichever atoll they are situated in, they are all beautiful.

DOUGALSMUM"S TRIPS TO THE MALDIVES

"I"VE FOUND PARADISE"

HAVING YEARNED FOR ATRIP TO THE MALDIVES FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER, I FINALLY MADE IT-AND IT WAS EVERYTHING THAT I DREAMED IT WOULD BE.
THE SCENERY IS EXACTLY LIKE IN THE BROCHURES (SO THEY ARENT TOUCHED UP BY COMPUTER AFTER ALL)-BUT BETTER.THE ISLANDS ARE SPECTACULARLY BEAUTIFUL, ABOVE AND BELOW WATER.
(THE PROBLEM IS ONCE I HAD VISITED THE MALDIVES ONCE I WAS HOOKED AND HAVE TO KEEP GOING BACK TO TRY DIFFERENT ISLANDS-SO THE FOLLOWING TIPS ARE CATAGORISED BY ISLAND , KURAMATH-JULY 2002 & KUREDU & KOMANDOO JULY2003)
DONT FORGET TO TAKE A LOOK AT THE TRAVELLOGUES AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE FOR PHOTOS OF VARIOUS ISLANDS, ACCOMODATION AND WILDLIFE!

"WATER BUNGALOW OR BEACH BUNGALOW"

ITS ONLY A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE, BUT IT SEEMS A SHAME TO GO ALL THAT WAY AND NOT STAY IN A WATER BUNGALOW. HOWEVER IF FINANCES WONT STRETCH TO THAT-OR YOUR ISLANDS DOESN"T HAVE WATER BUNGALOWS (AND SOME DONT) THE BEACH BUNGALOWS ARE USUALLY JUST AS COMFORTABLE AND ONLY A FEW YARDS FROM THE SEA.

KOMANDOOKOMANDOO

komandookomandoo

a bathroom on komandooa bathroom on komandoo

arriving at komandooarriving at komandoo

Komandoo

by slimdebs

Hiya! I have just found this site and it is brill. But my fiance and I are heading to Komandoo in December and wondered if anyone had been or is goin? Is there anything you can tell me about it? I would love to hear from someone who has been!
Debs x

RE: Komandoo

by HEB

Hi
I haven't been to Komandoo, but have just returned from Kuredu, which I believe is the larger sister island in the same atoll. Only saw it from a distance as we sailed by on a Yatch. It is closed at the moment as it is being refurbished and upgraded...we saw the water villas being built. I am sure it's standards, quality and service will be as the other islands in the group, which we have visited 3 of, you will most definately have a fantastic holiday in paradise. If you would like any other information about the Maldives please get in touch.
Happy holidays.

RE: Komandoo

by fenyo

Hi,

we were in Komandoo in 1999 for our honeymoon and it was truly wonderful - lots of space, wonderful water, very nice bungallow, peace and quiet, excellent food, and real "no shoes, no news" philosophy. However,...we heard they're putting up water bungalows and we think that would make it more crowded and also ruining the view if you're on the beach bungalow...I would in this case go for a water villa therefore. have a great time!

Komandoo or Centara Grand Island for Honeymoon?

by p2sh_exclamationMARK

Im going to the Maldives from Jan 4th - 10th and was initially booked to go to Centara.

However, given the delays in opening, I have been exploring "similarly priced" options. ( I paid 58OOUSD for 6 nights All Inclusive including transfers - seaplane @ Centara).

I understand that the "normal"cost for Centara would be closer to 9000USD for the same. However, I can only afford 6KUSD.

The closest/best I cam up with is Komandoo..

Where would you go for a honeymoon, and why?

Re: Komandoo or Centara Grand Island for Honeymoon?

by Odinnthor

I will agree that the Maldives are a great destination too often overlooked, however these prices are just way out of the park. I have several times in the past had to deal with new resort openings, - (I was a Five Star Tour Director), - and it was rare for a new resort not to have opening jitters and problems to be ironed out in the beginning.

The Centara, is, - or will be a truly unique destination, but as you can see by their website, the first three weeks of opening are listed at $400.00 per day for a Beach Suite, jumping to $1,100.00 per day for the period you want, and to get even higher later. Too close to opening to pay that kind of prices.

The Komandoo is a better choice simply due the above. Cannot tell the rates, but judging from the diving prices, they are likely in the same range as the Centara.

Please bear in mind that I have not stayed at the Komandoo, but do have vast experience in high priced accommodations. Given the choice, I would select the Komandoo over the Centara, - this year. Next year, the Centara should hve ironed out any opening problems.

All that being said, - I would be more inclined to select a destination like Bora Bora, and by that I am mainly considering water deluxe villas, which I assume is a great attraction. You could likely charter a private yacht with the money saved.

Re: Komandoo or Centara Grand Island for Honeymoon?

by adelinemmc

Hi
I have not stayed at Komandoo but I have sailed by it recently and it looks nice. It is a more upmarket destination in comparison with Kuredu where my diving cruise started from.
I heard good things about the island but this is hearsay only. If I had teh money, I'd stay there based on what I briefly saw, what I heard and their website.

Happy honeymoon!

Best room number at Komandoo? Jacuzzi water villa

by pistasjis

Hi,
we are about to book a jacuzzi water villa at Komandoo and are just wondering if some are better that others i.e. more secluded, better view etc.?

Best regards
Berit Nordgarden

Re: Best room number at Komandoo? Jacuzzi water villa

by Lucieee

I personally prefer the villas on the sunrise side of the island as they look over to the 'desert island' whereas the sunset side looks over to the 'local' island, there is normally more breeze on the sunset side though!

Comments