PO Box 2015, Male, 20-02

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Baros Maldives

Excellent accomodation on Baros

by dhod about Baros Island Resort

The standard of accomodation is excellent. All rooms have a fully equiped bathroom with running hot and cold water, air conditioning, mini bar and tea/coffee making facilities, built-in wardrobes and a safe.

Our room had an enormous king-size 4-poster bed.
The villas are of traditional style with thatched roofs, and each beach villa is only a stone-throw from the beach. Excellent standard, traditional style with all the home comforts.

Full Board versus Bed & Breakfast

by TravlinTone about Baros Holiday Resort

We opted for the full board option at Baros as opposed to B&B but there appears little difference in cost. Full board cost us approx $50 a day, The downside was your are restricted to eating in the main restaurant with a very limited choice of meals (usually a fish or meat main course or vegetarian alternative) except for the two big buffet nights in the main restaurant. 'Pay as you go' was about $20 for a light lunch and $30 + for the 'event' buffets (a la Carte more expensive). On half/full board you can eat in one of the other two restaurants and get a pathetic $6 credit against your meal.

Baros Island

by TravlinTone about Baros Holiday Resort

Baros is a tiny Island (8 minutes to walk around!) with 70 + villas and water bungalows . The majority of guests are from the UK plus some Germans and Japanese newlyweds!
Baros is just a 20 minute speed boat ride from Male airport but its a million miles from the rush of working life in the West.
The Island was everything you would expect, sunshine, good food, friendly staff and excellent snorkelling around the 'house' reef. Also like most resorts it was also fairly expensive. Budget a minimum $90 a day for food and drink.
We wanted a water bungalow and contacted the resort direct but at $150 a night supplement we decided that $1,000+ would buy us another short holiday(!) so we stuck with out original booking of a deluxe villa. We were delighted with our choice for the following reasons:
- The water bungalows are subject to whatever the weather throws at you, wind, searing sun etc
- All the island villas are just a few meters from the beach. We had our own private thatched sun shade and sun beds just a couple of steps from our door. If water bungalow guests wanted to go on the beach there was a walk and search for a spot as most of the sun beds are allocated to the villas.
- We had one of the recently upgraded villas with a fabulous outdoor shower (as well as two indoor ones!)

Baros, absolutely stunning!

by TripAdvisor Member SilverMermaid

We visited Baros last September and I have to say we thought it was the most beautiful place we had ever seen. Yes, it was quite expensive but the waterbungalow we had was absolutely stunning and extremely luxurious. Food was plentiful and delicious, particularly in the Lighthouse restaurant, which was just magical. The chef at the lighthouse cooked our lobster bisque in front of us, and it was truly the most fantastic meal I have ever had. The rays serenely gliding by, just inches from the tables on the deck of the Lighthouse, were surreal.

My husband and I have an agreement that we will never revisit our holiday destination, no matter how much we enjoy the place. However, for Baros, we have had to break that agreement, because we just enjoyed out holiday so much. We're going back in March, and I just cannot wait!

The Spa is beautiful, and you feel really pampered and floating on air when you have treatments there. The staff are extremely attentive and make you feel really special. My husband did the scuba diving course and he was full of praise for the diving team. We found all the staff to be extremely polite and they really couldn't do enough for you. The head waiter in the Lime restaurant was particularly kind - we expressed to him how much we enjoyed the Tom Kai Kai soup, and the next day there was a parcel for us which contained the recipe, and a selection of the ingredients which we needed to make the dish!

To sum up, Baros is stunning, special and totally memorable, and I can't wait to go back in March. (The cocktails are to die for!)

Baros- mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member raiza

All island is the Maldives are just beautiful with white sand,palms and a wonderful underwater-world.So that is not what we are goind to judge,just the resort.
As having an early departure we had to look for a hotel with speedboat-transfer reasonally lose to the airport,and booked Baros,as we wanted high standard accomodation,no plastic chairs and no allinclusive.Baros belongs to the chain SLH so my expectations were skyhigh as so was the price aprox 900 $ per night in watervilla with breakfast.
Watervillas-beautiful inside-but faded wood outside(they were being repainted)Some people that written that there is not much of wildlife on the island-true-how could there be,there is not one single inch left of natural environment for any wildlife.It is not possible to squeeze in even one more bungalow,they are really tight together.Wlkways behind the bungalows are beautiful with plants and flowers-but it is just too manicured,too perfect,and I found there was no true Maldivian feeling over the place.
Housereef-ok,but I have seen better in other resorts.Funny to see a lot of people snorkelling around watervillas and westside of the island where there was only dead coral,nothing to see at all.I wanted to shout out-hey all you-snorkel around the Lighthouse and OUTSIDE the barrier-THERE was good coral and big sharks.
The turndownservice at night-only closing curtains,removing rubbish.I am spoilt after staying in Mina A Salam( see my review of Mina in Dubai)-herre no towles being changed at night,no candles in bathroom,no new toileteries,no fruitbasket(just 1 piece of fruit per day and person)no chocolates on the bed.In Dubai you get boxes with dates and sweets,newspaperetc.etc.
Internet-you buy a voucher for 24 hours for 20$.Very often it is not possible to logout.We then disconnected the whole computer but that DOES NOT turn off the time-countdown like the staff says.They are aware of the problem.We should have been given a free voucher.We actually bought a new voucher,but came across the same problem over and over again,so we were just fed up and gave up.Inter net- a ripoff.
Staff in restaurants and bars-nice,quiet and friendly,but waiters no very experienced,exept in the Lighthouse where service was exellent.So was the food in the Lighthouse,but that was the quality that I had expected in all restaurants.Lime was average-a la carte lukewarm,overcooked fishdarkbrown burned pizzas.Cayenne grill-overcooked chicken,The Maldivian night and seafoodbuffet were excellent.Sailsbar-livemusic 3 times a week-do not miss The Pedritos Band on tuesday-they are fantastic.I tried through reception to get a CD with their music,but could not.I will get in contact with Full Moon resort.-that is where they are stationed to see if I have better luck there.
Compliments to the dutch guy at the divingclub-he showed me the stingrays that appear every afternoon at sunset-he was truely and naturally friendly-not like in the reception where the friendlyness appeared artificial-like switching on and off a lightbulb.
For our departure we were told by reception that were was a wakeuppcall at 5.30 am,bellboys to pick up luggage at 6 am and boatdeparture at 6.30 am.NO wakeupcall,NO bellboys.Thanks to my mobilphone that I used for wakeup.otherwise we could have lost our flight.Wakeupcalls MUST WORK 100 %.Baros did not live up to my expectations as a real 5-star luxuryhotel,the prices are far to high for what you receive.There seem to be a lack of interest sometimes when you request things-i wanted some 5 cl bottles of whisky and gin at the end of the stay as we did not have time to drink a big bottle-after 1 and 1/2 day the reception said that only big bottles were served in watervillas-end of the story to the receptionist.Big deal sending little bottles?It was easier saying-sorry mam.
Many before me have said the same-the whole island is like a big money makingmachine.
On the whole we hade a nice stay-but would I return? probably not-there are other resorts with the same sand,sun ,palms and beaches much cheaper with good service

Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member Joanne62

I have stayed on Baros twice, both before & after the renovations. I totally disagree with everything DMCMoscow says in his review. Baros is paradise, everything about it is perfect, it may be a little expensive, but you get what you pay for & it is certainly worthy of the 5 star rating. The 10% service charge is apparantly shared EQUALLY amongst all members of staff & rightly so, the service is excellent.
I have no hesitation in recommending it & will certainly visit again.

Ultra luxurious

by TripAdvisor Member moraly

I went to Baros from Jan 8th to the 15th. The experience was amazing. We stayed in the Baros Villas which I actually liked better than the more expensive water villas bc we were able to walk right out onto the sandy beach. There was plenty of privacy and our room was simply amazing. Not only do you get an indoor shower and a bathtub big enough for 2, you also get a fantastic outdoor shower. The bed was wonderful-Every night I passed out the minute my head hit the pillow.

Our time at Baros was extremely relaxing. I got my scuba diving certification after doing the confined water dives in New York. The instructions at the Baros dive center were so friendly and helpful. They really made my open water dives easy and special. Baros has a beautiful house reef which I hear some of the other islands in the Maldives do not have.

We did about 3 private fishing trips where we got the boat and the crew for the price of around 700. Expensive but it was fun...

Speaking of expensive- that is my only complaint about Baros. It was very expensive but you should know this when you book any 5 star hotel in the Maldives. After one of our dives we went into the main restaurant ( there are 3 restaurants on the island, all great but the main one is the Lime) We asked one of the staff if we could get 2 cereal boxes and some milk to take back to our room but he let us know he could not give ' take out food' and it would have to be delivered to the room. $40.00 for 2 teeny tiny boxes of cereal. But - Like I said- I guess you can expect this anywhere in the Maldives...

The food in the restaurants was amazing and the chef ( who is super friendly) even prepared the mahi mahi and the jack fish we caught during our fishing trip for a wonderful dinner at the Lighthouse Restaurant ( the fanciest restaurant) The breakfast they served in the Lime( which was included with our room price) was the best breakfast I could imagine. Every morning we ate ourselves silly. Anyone who says that the breakfast was too repetitive has to be kidding. You can get omelettes, pancakes, waffles, salads, yogurts, pastries, cheeses, soups, cold cuts, fresh fruit... the list goes on and on... but to sum it up- you can come up with Lots of different breakfast options for the week you will be there.

We did not have any problems with our room on the trip but our friends we were with had problems with their water pretty much every other day. It got a bit frustrating when all the manager would say to this was "sorry" and give a smile;However, he did make up for it on our last day when he let us have our rooms for a very late check out which normally would have cost half a days stay.

The Sen Spa was amazing. We all indugled in some massage therapy and it was wonderful. The Indian head message was my favorite. All the women in the spa were extremely professional and very friendly. In fact, all the staff on the island were this wonderful.

I guess that about sums up my stay at Baros. I will never forget my time there. I will miss not wearing shoes for the whole week ( seriously) and I will miss playing with the wild stingrays that swam right up to us on the beach. I will miss the baby sharks near the dive center and the little hermit crabs too.

Baros was an amazing experience, and coming from New York City, it really was exactly what I needed - Rest and relaxation... Beautiful and wonderful- I recommend it for couples seeking the ultimate in laidback luxury...

I will post my pictures soon!!

Paradise!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Erica31

My Husband and I stayed at Baros 29th Jan 2007 for 8 nights for our honeymoon. We were married on 22nd December we both have children so thought we would do christmas at home and have something else in view to look forward to.
All I can say is that the picture in the brochure is exactly how Baros is ...simply fantastic!!!
We arrived at Male airport to be greeted by a lovely gentleman from Baros who carried our cases to the harbour where we boarded the speedboat. Once on board we were given lovely lemon scented cold towels and a bottle of mineral water...much to my delight as I suffer from sea sickenss!! The trip was only about 15-20 minutes and was simply fantasic the view , the sea we were speechless. We arrived at the jetty greeted by the Manager and taken to reception....we were again given wet towels and a Champagne and Mango cocktail...Delicious.
We were then taken to our villa. We had pushed the boat out and decided to go for a Water Villla, just perfect, private, and our own space. Bed was so comfy pillows were like marshmallows!! Bath over looking the sea, gorgeous decor we could have not wanted for more, we got bottle of champagne fruit and choc's as well as Dinner on the Beach due to it being our honeymoon.
Staff were attentive and so helpful but then there were 130 guests on the Island and 250 staff so we expected no less. Food was excellent, location excellent, staff excellant...It was magical and perfect and so romantic.....Was all we could have asked for and more. I was so glad we picked this Island was much more personal than the likes of The Hilton gorgeous there but your just a number. Would strongly recommended anyone goes to Baros.

Perfection

by TripAdvisor Member Londoner37

I have to say that I could not disagree more strongly with the review of 'DMC Moscow'. I have just returned from my 5th visit to Baros and can, with no hesiation, say that it is the most fantastic place I have ever been to relax. I believe that the group of people that we met briefly on the island that were back for their 55th visit might agree!

The people are an utter delight - they have the balance between attentiveness, friendliness but not over familiarity, that so many of the maldivian islands have not quite got yet. The service that my entire family have received on a total of 17 visits between us, has always been outstanding. Nothing is too much for them and absolutely everything that is done for you is done with a smile.

Male is attractively close to Baros with a mere 20-25 minute speedboat transfer - SO much better than a seaplane journey at the end of an already long flight to get there. You step on the boat, you are hot and tired and the first thing you are given is an ice cold cloth to mop your brow that smells out of this world! It starts there and just continues to get better. There is no down side, I don't believe, to being this close to Male - you can have no doubt that you are in the middle of nowhere, there is not a sound other than the noise of the wildlife and the sound of the waves.

With the renovation of the island prices have no doubt gone up but you can see why. The rooms are beautiful. We stayed in a Baros Villa that opens directly onto the beach. I would never choose to stay in a Water Villa - personal opinion maybe, but clearly, from the fact that several people from the Water Villas decided to come and take the loungers of those from the beach villas (they were promptly asked to leave I hasten to add) they do not hold as much appeal as they first seem. They are obviously secluded and beautifully furnished but I would certainly miss having the beach outside my door. The Baros Villa was a wonderful size, incredibly comfortable bed and beautiful outdoor shower - an entertainment unit, should you require it with DVD and CD players and plasm screen TV hidden away in what looks like a blanket box at the end of the bed - you wouldn't even know it was there.

Everything has been thought about in Baros - the little touches that make such a difference to your holiday have been seen to. Everything is spotless, smells wonderful and tastes wonderful too! The food has improved since the new Australia chef has come to the island. Food is not cheap but considering you can have a 5 course dinner cooked too this standard in the middle of the Indian Ocean never fails to astound me.

The Sails Bars is perfection as far an I am concerned! You sit under the palm trees at night with the moon shining through with your feet buried in the sand. There is live music three times a week which is fanastic, the standard of the bands has always been high but they have even improved on this since the island re-opened.

I could continue for pages and pages more about this place but I fear it could get somewhat boring! All I can say is that it is perfection. It is places like this that make the everyday grime worthwhile so that you can escape here every once in a while for a taste of absolute paradise. I've only been back a couple of days and I am trying to figure out when I can go back!

Baros Resort, Maldives

by TravlinTone

"Baros Holiday Resort"

Tipping - 10% will be added to everything you purchase for service. Recommended tipping is $10 per person per week for both your waiter and the guy who services your room. Double it - these people from the third world need your money more than you do!

The resort is aimed at couples wanting a quiet holiday. There are virtually no children's facilities, hence virtually no children (hurray!)
There is entertainment in the bar several nights a week but the best entertainment was the feeding of the sting rays and reef sharks on the beach at 17.30 every night -simply magical.

We never saw a mosquito (they spray the Island) but there were a few biting insects.
The snorkelling around the house reef was great, particularly if you go outside of the protective wall to the edge of the reef and stare into the Abyss! How often can you say you've swum with rays and sharks!? We didn' go diving but people we met said it was everything you'd expect and the video they show one evening in the bar shows the full glory of the underwater Maldives.

The food was very good and there was plenty of it. As with all the resorts virtually all the food, except for local fish, is imported (even the milk and the prawns came from Australia!)
We opted for the full board option as opposed to B&B but there appears little difference in cost. Full board cost us approx $50 a day, The downside was your are restricted to eating in the main restaurant with a very limited choice of meals (usually a fish or meat main course or vegetarian alternative) except for the two big buffet nights in the main restaurant. 'Pay as you go' was about $20 for a light lunch and $30 + for the 'event' buffets (a la Carte more expensive). On half/full board you can eat in one of the other two restaurants and get a pathetic $6 credit against your meal.

Mobile phones work brilliantly at the resort and at 1 pound 69p a minute ($3) from UK Vodafone this was considerably cheaper than the $7 the resort charges for IDD. (TOP TIP - make sure your phone is unbarred for roaming AND that you have a nice big credit limit)

Trips from the resort were expensive (a captive market!). We did the trip to Male (TOP TIP - make sure you take your sun screen and insect repellent, particularly for the markets). An interesting couple of hours but little to do when the guide leaves you for the last hour. The optional 'Maldivian tea' at the end of the trip was a surprise and a delight (don't plan a big meal that evening!).

The Spa is great - say hi to the therapist Panatan from Thailand if you visit.

Visit the Universal guest book for more info http://www.unisurf.com/guestbook.html

Baros, MaldivesBaros, Maldives

Baros- A local resident!Baros- A local resident!

Baros- A typical Deluxe roomBaros- A typical Deluxe room

Baros- feeding the StingraysBaros- feeding the Stingrays

Baros resort

by chuidavid

Does anyone know about the Baros Resort?

RE: Baros resort

by nakatcha

It's only just been re-opened after a refurb so you'll be lucky to get an up to date review. It is a lovely island but as to how it is run and what the facilities and accommodation are like now I can only recommend you check the Universal Resorts website and decide from the artist's impressions! It was a sister island to Nakatcha (Huvafenfushi) and is close to Ihuru and Vabbinfaru (Angsana and Banyan Tree) but all four of them have changed out of all recognition since I was last at any of them. Baros at least has kept its name!

Baros Island Resort

by Julie77

My partner and I are getting married in Sri Lanka in August followed by a 1 week honeymoon at Baros. I havn't seen any comments with regards to this island so if anyone has been could they please let me know what it was like e.g rooms, food etc.

Thanks
Julie

by MattTB

HI Julie,

Well, I didn't actually stay there, but I wanted to, unfortunately we could not find a good deal at the time we went. I read lots of good things about Baros on the net, it's small and the house reef is supposed to be good and close to the island.

We went to Fun Island as a cheaper alternative and had a great time, see my Maldives page...

Re: Re: Baros Island Resort

by MattTB

Pretty much sums up everything I've read out there....

by Starmaine

Julie,
I just returned, yesterday 07, April, 04 from Baros.

I'll give you my email and if there's anything you'd like to know, I'd be happy to pass it on.

charmaine@therussellsonline.co.uk

by dhod

Its beautiful, perfect for a honeymoon. Small and very romantic.
Have a look at my Maldives travel pages for photos and info.

p.s hand feeding the stingrays is not to be missed!

Baros Vs Sun Island Resort

by NADA90

Hi All
Heading to the Maldives next Aug 06, we are a family of 4, our kids are 14 & 15 ys, we are up to a lot of swimming, snorkelling and some diving, which island is best for us!!!

Thanks

RE: Baros Vs Sun Island Resort

by MOSSETT

been to the maldives 4 times, and really enjoyed sun island,it is very big but has lots to do with watersports jet skis etc not much chance of getting bored, service in the bar can be a bit slow but the beach bar is superb, lots of small sharks and rays next to the beach

RE: Baros Vs Sun Island Resort

by sioux2

went to sun island last year in june,there is loads to do, the island is the biggest tourist island and it has its own website under sun villas. I would have gone back again this year but for the price.

Comments