Irufushi Island, 2036
The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives
Expedia.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Costs 104% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Hilton Maldives Iru Fushi Resort & Spa

if your a diver read this

by TripAdvisor Member poppypup

All in all we had a nice stay at irufushi but have since found out they dump their rubbish in the see (this information came to us from a european employee) I would never stay there again or any of the sun resort hotels. When they ask you in the information booklet to take your rubbish home with you please do because these people are suffocating the seas.

Beautiful resort but very expensive

by TripAdvisor Member EwelinaH

We went to Irufushi in October and stayed there for 8 days in a Jacuzzi water villa. It was our first trip to the Maldives and we expected it to be paradise like. And I’m sure it would have been, had we been gone at another time and maybe to another hotel. Irufushi wasn’t my first choice but we eventually decided for it as we thought it would all be fresh and new. Also, it looked really stylish online. And it WAS all stylish and new. Our villa seemed just too good to be true. Very spacious and comfortable (the best bed I’ve ever slept at), really pretty decorated, nothing kitschy, big terrace with a couch and 2 day beds, Jacuzzi. The bathroom had it all: huge windows with a view directly at the ocean, a bath tub with Jacuzzi, big shower – just wonderful. And the island itself does make a good impression too. What we especially liked were white, sandy beaches and crystal clear waters – just to die for! We went for swimming between the Jacuzzi water villas and water villas as the ocean was very quiet there and it wasn’t very windy. The part where the planes land seemed to be extremely windy. We did some snorkelling but didn’t go out too far so we didn’t see too many interesting fishes. We almost never went to the pools although they looked great with comfortable beds and fresh towels provided. We preferred the beach and warm and clean ocean.

As the weather was extremely windy they cancelled all the trips. We only made it to the Dolphin cruise and that was great fun. Unfortunately, missed the local island although we were on the list for almost one whole week and were asking everyday if it was taking place (no good service provided when it came to giving you info). It could have taken place the last day we were there but the manager said he needed 6 people at least so that it pays off. We were only four and so he said it’s too expensive for the hotel. It didn’t matter that we waited the whole week for it due to the windy weather. Making profit counted more than happy guests. It does leave a bad taste.

From day one we had problems with cleaning services. When we arrived, the bath tub had a dark brown circle of dirt at the top. It looked like they just cleaned the bottom part – really disgusting! The room boy was a disaster! He almost didn’t speak any English and you literally had to take him by a hand and show him what you meant. He only did the minimum and you could tell he just didn’t care. Not even once did he mop up the floor in the bathroom, not talking about changing our bedclothes during those 8 days. I saw him only once changing the pillows. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t need it to be fresh everyday but after some 5 days it got kind of dirty from the after sun lotion and other skin products. The windows were dirty too. We asked him and the people at the reception several times to clean it but eventually gave up. A shame though, as it ruined your experience of looking at the ocean. But the worst is yet to come. We found a wine glass in our Jacuzzi. I actually almost sat on it! But what it meant was that the water had not been changed and we actually “inherited” it from the previous guests. I guess in a 5* hotel you can expect the water being changed after the guests leave. When we complained to the reception the first reaction was a laugh (I didn’t think it was very funny). Then he promised to send someone to change the water and clean the Jacuzzi. The same room boy came late in the evening with only a towel. This gives you an idea of how his cleaning services were – he just couldn’t be bothered. We sent him back saying he should come the next day and bring any detergent with him. He managed to explain that there was no need to change the water since the Jacuzzi had very good filters. Right!

Reception services were ok, although some of their staff had no idea what was going on. They had this I’m-clueless face on and once you saw them you knew you should go to someone else. The one we especially liked was Shamin. He was very nice, well informed and exceptionally helpful! So if you need an advice, go to Shamin.

As for the Iru restaurant, we had a great waiter – Sanjeewa from Sri Lanka. An extremely nice and always smiling person and good to talk to. We got a great service there. Food wasn’t that good though. It was too European for my taste. We only had one night when they served predominantly Indian food. The rest of our stay was just far too many noodles and definitely not enough fish (and that served wasn’t even good) and sea food. It’s ironic that on such an island you have to pay so much money to get a fish. We went to Islander Grill once as we desperately wanted to eat something different and more exotic. I got lobster and my husband got a fish. For this and 4 glasses of wine (+10 service charge) we paid almost $ 300. We didn’t go there again although it was a very nice restaurant with very attentive staff and really good food. If the prices were lower I’m sure we would have gone there again.

That was the general problem – the prices. Incredible to charge $ 5,50 for a small coke, $35 for burger or $15-20 for a cocktail plus 10% service charge on top of everything. The only time I didn’t pay any service charge was when I bought postcards and stamps. You had the feeling you were just being ripped off! This is not really good tactics if you want to bring more guests to the hotel and I’m sure they do need more as it wasn’t full when we were there. Everything was just ridiculously expensive and that on top of what you already paid for the whole trip (and trust me, we did pay a lot – it wasn’t anything like a special offer). Also, they want you to give tips additionally to the 10% service charge which I think is a bit too much. But one just feels weird not giving anything when signing the bills so we did give some from time to time.

We used spa twice. We booked 2 different massages but got exactly the same both times. Nevertheless, it was good and relaxing. The price was OK ($70 for the whole body massage + 10% service charge, of course).

After all we did have a good holiday but I’m sure one can get a better offer at a same class hotel for less money. Irufushi is nothing special and it still has a long way to go. It was our first trip to the Maldives and we would love to go back one day but not necessarily to Irufushi.

Lovely accomodation, nicely styled resort .... but........

by TripAdvisor Member justen

We were at Irufushi for first 2 weeks November. ,we had great weather and on the whole enjoyed our holiday.The resort is beautifully styled, nicely landscaped and well appointed with plenty of ammenities No complaints with our Beach Villa , probably the best we have stayed in, spacious, well fitted and comfortable, although some of the finishing off was a bit shabby and the outside furnishing fabrics were already marked with unsightly sweaty stains from previous guests and needed covering with a towel before sitting in the chairs and loungers.We were situated half way between the jetty and the Islander Grill on the sunset side of the island .

The food in the main restuarant was generally very good but some of the counters were quite congested with guests waiting for pasta , noodles or desserts etc I did without rather than stand queing for 10 minutes but that said, the buffet was as good as the best we have experienced elsewhere.

We had no real issues with service, our waiter went about his work quietly and professionally, the service was particularly good at the Reflections bar thanks to Jee , Julius, Edwin and Raf but I have to say less so at the Fluid bar ,where the waiters did not look very happy at their work .We made several requsts to house keeping all of which were met quickly and without further reminders, our room boy was OK if not brilliant. After the first 3 days he told us we were no longer able to have satchets of Nescafe although when we rang house keeping they delivered it to our room without problems, presumably they were trying to get you to use the $4.40 a hit Nespresso capsules in the room .Incidentally the retail price of which is 26 pence.and as much as I enjoy Nesspresso I could not bring myself to pay so much for it .If you like Nespresso take your own !!
I had several " wake up " calls from the front desk and all were carried out as ordered on time .Our transfers either way were fine and on time , except one suitcase arrived 6 hours later, which complicated things a bit the first evening .

The beach is nice all round the island and kept clean but there are problems at either end with erosion and unfortunately sandbags held in position with scaffolding do little to enhance the appearance and rather shatter one's illusion of an island paradise.

We did get bitten a lot from mozzies and perhaps ants especally the first week as did most people that you spoke with. We used sun cream and aftersun with repellent in addition to "Deet " spray on exposed areas , especially , feet and ankles and we still got bitten , worse than we have experienced previously in the Maldives.Insects in our room and bathrooom were a also a bit of a problem but we kepy them at bay by using the spray in our room every night just as we left for our dinner.We did see a few rats twice in the undergrowth at the reflections bar and twice on the footpaths at night but saying that we have seen them at several other resorts too.

The prices of food and drink are frankly insulting and one had the feeling that every time you ordered something that it was a poke in the eye.$8.80 bottled water in your room, $6.60 a cup of tea or coffee at Waters Edge . Needless to say the speciality restaurants were always empty.I resent having my pants taken down every time I order a drink or sandwich and that is how it felt .

The same is true of the diving , more expensive than we have experienced elsewhere by far, and frankly with exception of 2 dive sites namely Cohens Dream and Christmas Rock not worth getting out of bed for .My Buddy and I have 11 previous visits to the Maldives and several hundred dives between us and we were truly dissapointed, for the first time in the Maldives, with the quality of diving at Irufushi. The reefs are none too healthy lots of dead or distressed coral and one pretty much like another. The whole Atoll seems quite shallow around 25 meters , and the islands themselves are spaced quite far apart so there is effectively no channel diving .Therefore you do not get the big currents as the sea pushes between narrow deep channels formed between islands and reefs that are close together on the outer edges of the atoll, and in my opinion where one finds the best diving in the maldives and most prolific fish life.We did a couple of dives on the house reef.it starts around 5 metres and drops to around 18 metres, surprisingly the coral there is not too bad and quite a variety of fish life too.The dive centre is fine and the staff were quite heplful and professional .On the dive boat we were often briefed by Shareef whom we found especially heplful, informative and an all round good guy.If you need to hire equipment, it is of good quality and of course all new,but pricey too.

Noticable was the amount of rubbish in the water around Irufushi and neighbouring islands, all manner of stuff, our friends were unlucky enough to surface from an afternoon boat dive surrounded by tampons and nappies.I tried the snorkelling from the pier at the end of the JWVillas and after swimming out to the reef edge found myself surrounded by all sorts of rubbish in the water and quckly returned after just a few minutes .We heard that there had been complaints of sewerage and effluent in the water around the JWVillas,and from time to time you could smell a rather unsavoury smell on the sunset side of the beach near to the Islander grill.One evening at low tide opposite the Islander grill, the the small waves were forming balls of foam on the tide line on the sand, some were about the size of small footballs,this was subsequently blowing about a little in the wind , indicating to me, at least, that the sea was far from clean , in spite of the lovely blue colour . !!

Finally there were quite a few children on the island most of whom were very well behaved but there were just a few who were'nt.....not what you want on your island paradise....

Would I return ? probably not and certainly not for the diving.

Chilled and Relaxed.

by TripAdvisor Member Wayne_Stephen

We have just returned from 2 weeks All Inclusive at the Irufushi Beach Resort and Spa.

The Island is very impressive with beautiful beaches, well situated pools and three bars. As we were on AI we ate at the IRU (main restaurant), our waiter was great and on the ball clearing tables and seeing to our needs. The food was lovely and plentiful with many different dishes, even fussy eaters shouldn't have a problem. Those reviews that have moaned saying food was the same may be should have gone to the a la carte restaurants (3 in total). The IRU did at times get a little busy and the odd Q formed but so what get over it, a five minute wait is not going to kill you. What was a little annoying at times were the odd ignorant holiday maker that spoke to staff like something they had stepped in and trying to push in (NOT THE BRITISH).

We stayed in a Beach Villa (Rm 219 Sunset Side) The villa was quite simply fantastic with ample space, good fittings, excellent facilities and great decor. The villa also had a private pathway which led to a pagoda right on the beach which boasted a ceiling fan, a table and chairs and also a settee. Even though it was great to watch the sun set whilst sitting on your pagoda i would request a room on the sunrise side between the two lots of water villas. This is mainly due to the odd arrival of sea planes which landed and moored to close to the beach, i found myself inhaling the fumes which wasn't to pleasant. (see picture). This however was not everyday and it didn't spoil my holiday,but others may well disagree.

The Spa was very well equiped and the biggest in the Maldives, the staff were very nice, you can have every massage and treatment possible to help you relax. The prices were not bad, i had a head, neck, shoulders and back which cost $71 incl the 10% service charge.

The Watersedge (main bar) is massive and very hard to fill, The resort put on various themed nights but struggled for customers due to the size and possibly the build up music (utterly boring put people to sleep) before the compare came on duty. Once the compare arrived it did get better but just didn't seem to lift people enough, which was a shame.

The recreation facilities are excellent with two big pool tables, dart board, table tennis, gym and karaoke room, you could also hire DVD's, board games etc (free).

All in all we had a great time the only thing that annoyed us was the fact that we were not allowed to return to our room with a drink from the bar or sunbath outside our villa with a drink from the bar, as the mini bar was so expensive in the room and the fact we paid for AI we were not prepared to pay $55 for a small bottle of vodka and $6 for the coke to go with it.

We have now been twice to the Maldives and our first time we went to Komandoo, out of both Islands i would choose Komandoo everytime.

Awesome but expensive

by TripAdvisor Member Anna1968

Ok this resort was not our choice. We booked Filitheyo but on Male Airport were told that Tui Germany cancelled our booking. There we were, on the airport with no idea where we would sleep. After about 6 hours of waiting we were informed that we would be travelling to Irufushi. No idea where it was, how it was etc.

First impression was upon arrival. It is a "naked"island, almost all trees have been removed due to the buildings.
The Bungalow (we had 271) was beautiful, the bathroom just excellent although there wasn't a make up mirror, a little seat at the dressing table, just minor things were still missing. The private beach house was very nice but we didn't use it during the 2 weeks. The beach on our site was excellent but 50 meters from us they were working on the beach and up there it wasn't looking like you would expect. (they were creating new beach by putting sand from the sea to the landside with a lot of constructions to prevend the beach from decreasing) I have pictures that show this work. The metal constructions are also on the side of the Jacuzzi Waterbungalows.
I would not choose for a Waterbungalow, the sun is too hot and it does not give you any shade. A couple from the Waterbungalows asked us after 2 days if they could use our extra beachbeds, as they were boiling on their sundeck!

The service is very good, but I do share the other reviews regarding the service in the restaurant.
The food in the restaurant was ok, but not my choice to have every day or Wok meals or Pasta or Rice... that's it.. for about 1 week there were no tomatoes, the other week no cucumber. that's life on this island which I have never experienced before (this was my 5th island on the maldives).

We were on half board, which is ok on this island. USD 90 per person per day extra for AI is really not worth. On the other hand the cheapest bottle of wine is USD 30, beer USD 5, water USD 5 (so grazy, but you can drink the water from the tap so please fill the empty bottles with this water, it's the same!), cocktails starting at USD 15 up to USD 20. DUring happy hour USD 9 but then there were only 9 cocktails to choose from and not the one that are listed more expensive..

Furthermore during all day there were constructions going on. Not really very noisy, but you hear them. Our room was also close to the generator, but you could also hear this from the reception. When we returned home, we had to get used to the silence again (!).

All the employees are very very nice and for them you really want to return to this island. But otherwise there is still a lot to do, the trees have to grow, the prices have to come down (but the russians still pay these prices, so I guess that they won't come down).

Guest on this island are from Austria, Germany, UK, Asians and Russians, so beware!

This could be a 5 star experience with a few changes.

by TripAdvisor Member UKaussie

We have just returned after a family holiday during half term week. Apart from the first day we were blessed with glorious weather. Irufushi has a lot going for it. Lovely vegetation, a beautiful lagoon and sugar white sandy beaches. But like most other reviewers to date there are a few issues which take away from the overall experience. Our previous experience of the Maldives was the Banyan Tree on Vabbinfaru which was in every respect a 5 star stay.

The Pros:

1. The rooms. We had Beach villas numbered 230 and 231. Both are very spacious and easily on par with the Banyan Tree. The open air bathrooms are huge and the outdoor shower great (there is also one undercover). Plenty of nice toiletries, and lots of different areas to sit with indoor and outdoor lounges, the sala at the back and a separate covered area next to the sand. The aircon worked well and the facilities : Bose sound system for CDs and a flat screen TV much appreciated by our teenagers.

2. The Beach. We were on the north eastern side of the island. Beach on both sides was lovely but worn away by the water at both ends of the island. This was a similar experience to the Banyan Tree. The lagoon is large all round the island and the water very clear and warm. The sand was pristine.

3. The activity centre. Was great on the rainy day we had. Free use of baby football table, various board games, two pool tables and DVDs to take back to the room.

4. The swimming pools. Both were very nice. We spent most of the time at Reflections, the infinity pool on the north side of the island. Plenty of comfortable beds to lie on and lots of shade if needed under palm trees.

5. The vegetation. Lush with some fruit bats, banana trees as well as palm trees.

6. The Dive centre. First rate. We obtained PADI Open Water qualifications during our week. The staff very professional and the dive sites (particularly Koen's Dream) fantastic. Full of fish. Equipment all new.

I should mention that there are a lot of colourful fish on the house reef. The problem is not a lack of fish but getting out to the outside of the reef. At low tide it is impossible to get across the reef. At high tide it is passable but only just. They need to have a few cut outs through the reef. There is one off the dive centre but there was quite a current there on the first couple of days. I agree that this is a disappointment for those just snorkelling. The diving is very good.

The cons:

1. The cost. I agree that it is ludicrous to be charged $22 (inclusive of 10% service charge) for cocktails. We had two poorly made and watery ones and decided after that we would drink the smoothies and lassis, which were very nice. No nibbles were offered or for that matter seemed available with very over priced drinks (again unlike the Banyan Tree on both scores). Wine very expensive. $70+ for a bottle of Aussie Sauv Blanc. No reason to rip everyone off quite so much. I am sure that the vastly under utilised bar men would have far more to do if the prices were lowered a bit as everyone would enjoy more drinks.

2. The water. Lethal in the well equipped gym (which we used) not to have a water cooler. A bottle of water to be signed for has to come from one of the bars. All water we drank during our entire stay we had to pay for.

3. The service at times. Our worst experience was on arrival. After an overnight flight, a two hour wait for a seaplane at Male and then the 45 minute flight we had to spend over 30 minutes checking in (they had not thought to put us up in two adjoining villas although this was sorted) and we then had to wait a further 45 minutes for our bags to arrive at the room when all we wanted to do was change into our swimmers and jump in the lovely water. They can learn from the Banyan Tree where the whole thing took 10 minutes and the welcome drink was not stingy in size either ! We also never received an early morning wake up call when requested. It took three telephone calls for a further duvet to arrive. Our waiter staff at the Iru restaurant were fine though.

4. Food cost. A burger with service charge cost $38.50 for lunch. While it was very nice it was just a burger. While our kids ate lunch most days we often did without given the cost. We came back lighter than when we left on holiday !

Other comments:

We just ate in the buffet Iru restaurant as we were on half board (as most people seemed to be). The food was all very nice but it was getting rather samey by the end of the week. There is only so much buffet one can take. Plenty of choices at breakfast. Donuts really nice as was the museli. Overall, we thought the food was good. Not many people seemed to eat at the pay for restaurants and we turned down the offer of a seafood buffet at $100 a head one night (before service charge)!

I am sure if they offered a discount to half and full board guests at the a la carte restaurants like other resorts do then they would get more custom.

The shop should stock some nibbles apart from a few Mars bars. Crisps, nuts etc.

All in all we had a lovely week full of good weather. Guests before us had had a week of ordinary weather and that would have made the various irritations mentioned above more annoying.

Do bear in mind that everyone arrives by air taxi (lovely views of the various islands and atolls) but that if the weather is bad, they may not fly. It was touch and go on our way up as to whether or not we would be able to land. We did. We met one couple whose early morning flight (we had one too later in the week) had been cancelled because of the rain. They would miss their flights in Male and faced the prospect of a possible 5 hour speed boat trip to Male on choppy seas ! Not sure how often this occurs.

If they lowered the prices by about 30% on food and drinks, supplied a bottle of water to each room everyday, created cut outs to access the reef from the two overwater villa piers and sorted out some of the service niggles, I think Irufushi would be a great place to holiday.

Overall I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. Have erred generously by giving 4 stars as the island is beautiful and the rooms great.

Charging 5+ star prices for a 3 star experience - an honest reveiw.

by TripAdvisor Member mitzie2

I would like to start this review by telling eveyone that my partner and I travel worldwide on a regular basis staying in 5 star hotels frequently on business - therefore we have a very good idea what constitutes 5 star service. Also I should state that it's the first time that we have ever had to complain so I promise you we're not serial complainers! I just really wish that I'd known what I do now before we booked Irufushi.

We have just returned from a 9 night stay in a Water Villa at Irufushi and let me start by telling you that the accommodation was superb with all the amenities in your room that you'd expect from a 5 star hotel. The Water Villa has a private sunbathing deck with access to the lagoon from your own set of steps into the water which is quite simply stunning.

Prior to our departure from the UK I had been keeping an eye on this site to pick up any tips etc as this hotel as you probably know has only been open for around 3 months. It seemed that a lot of people were recommending the option to upgrade from the Half Board option to All Inclusive. We were quoted $90 per person per day to do this from HB. On our arrival at the hotel we were told we had to speak to reception about this the following day. A word of warning re All Inclusive. ALL MEALS MUST BE TAKEN IN IRU RESTAURANT. ie x3 buffets a day. The lunch buffet is exactly the same as the dinner one and if like us you'd prefer just to have a snack by the pool at lunch then its not really a good option. We found that it was better for us to stick with our HB option. Having a beer with lunch, a cocktail before dinner and then a bottle of wine with dinner still kept us under $90 each and we were free to eat where we wanted to at lunch time. Prices apparently have been dropped slightly since original opening. 1.5 litre bottles of water cost $6 plus 10% service in your mini bar (the first 5 star hotel I've ever stayed at that doesn't supply complimentary water in your room) and $5 plus 10% at all other outlets.
On our second day we went to reception to ask what offset we would receive against our bill if we decided to eat dinner at one of the hotels other 3 very nice looking restaurants .(Obviously being on HB dinner is included in the price however we did not wish to eat a buffet which was pretty much exactly the same every night on all 9 nights!) We were told by a "Supervisor" that despite the fact that we have already paid for dinner in our holiday price you are expected to pay again to eat in the Trio, Flavours and Spice or Island Grill. A sample bill for a three course meal with a bottle of water and the cheapest bottle of wine will set you back in the region of $250!!! Lovely food but an absolute rip off!! We asked to speak to a Manager about this. By day four still no one had got back to us. My partner had to chase up again on day 5 and then we were offered a $15 per person offset but only through sheer determination. ALL other 5 star hotels that we have stayed at in the past have offered some sort of offset.

The service in IRU restaurant was simply unacceptable. For the first 3 nights there were only 3 waiters in our section looking after approx 50 tables this then became 4 on our 4th day but didn't seem to make any difference. As it's a buffet all they have to do is fetch drinks and clear plates etc, but on most nights we were finishing our desserts with all the plates of our previous courses on the table! You have to sit at the same table every night and are served by the same waiter so if yours isn't on the ball as a lot of them were not then ask to be moved to another section. It's not their fault really they just don't have enough staff to cope as all the guests are eating in IRU as they don't want to be ripped off in the other restaurants.

You also have to pay for ALL Watersports including non-motorised ie kayaks, windsurfers etc. $20 plus 10% for 1 hour on a windsurfer!

All in all we had many little niggles during our stay which related to the level of customer care offered to the guests and the exorbitant prices charged. My partner spoke to the resort manager for 20 mins one morning to give feedback ( as no one else seemed remotely interested in us). His response was that he was "embarrased" and that he would "get back to us personally". Needless to say we never heard a word. On the morning that we were leaving he and a assistant manager came over to us whilst we were waiting in reception for our departure transport and with a smile on his face asked how our stay had been obviously having forgotten us and the fact that he was supposed to get back to us about our other issues. I am now in the process of taking things up with Sun Hotels and Resorts Head Office as the manager was completely ineffectual.

We paid £5000 to stay HB for 9 nts in a Water Villa and then our room bill came to $2000. So as you can see not cheap. We visited 2 of the other restaurants and also the Spa (which was one of our only positive experiences of the holiday - do try to go!) We really do feel that for the money spent we could have gone to a much better resort and not have had the frustrations which we experienced on an almost daily basis. Think very seriously before booking here as you DO NOT get value for money which you can at other resorts.

Wow - Really Nice Island - But Expensive with the 10% Charges

by TripAdvisor Member BTTB

We have just arrived back on Saturday 15th Nov and since we were keen to find out as much as possible before we arrived - we thought we'd add our review asap.

It's a New Island - yes it's got it's issues but if you are going to this island expecting it to be cheap Think Again

OK people have already mentioned about the 10% service charge on everything - but we discovered the following:

There was No 10% on your mini bar (even though the price list in your room mentions this)

For example - It's $6 for a 330ml can of Tiger beer in your room, but Buy it in any of the Bars and it will set you back $8.80 - so it's cheaper to chill out on the beach or grab a beer or two at the end of the night on the beach.

There is No 10% on Diving which is just as well as it's very expensive and after 42 dives between us we personally think it is shadowed by other Atolls.

And if we returned it would not be for the diving.

I have the dive prices which Irufushi provides: as an example :

if you do 1-5 dive (with your own eqpt) $49 per dive
if you need more than tank and weights then they class this as you have to pay the include eqpt price which is $61 per dive

When you add the price on the boat ($30 + 10% = $33) for the 2 tank dive the price is very expensive and gets close to $155 for a morning 2 tank dive - Quite Expensive - especially since the dive sites are poor compared to elsewhere

The price does come down but not nearly enough.

I can recommend doing 3 sites - even with the poor visibility we experienced. Koen's Reef , Christmas Tree and Snow White but the others just offered corals like Snow White but nowhere nearly as nice - save you money - I wish someone would have let us know before hand.

These are the only negatives

We were in the rooms on the far side of the island (Rm 240-Rm 270) between the water bunglows - its a 10 minute walk to the IRU and the Dive Centre - but the walk along the beach is very nice

Now a word of advice try to get a room in the 240s or 250's for the best beach - Rm270s where to close to a noise generator which a couple we met were allocated - they moved within 1 hr of arrival due to this noise

If you end up in other rooms be aware there is some sand bagging to limit the tide impacting upon the beach

The Positives are:

We were Half-Board and the Food as excellent - the Noodle and Pasta Stations were great - the breakfasts - offered good cereals , an Egg/Omelete station nice plenty of fruit

To be honest the food is so good in the Iru , you don't need to go to any of the other places

For Lunch head to Fluid or Waters Edge the prices there for the same food as in Reflections - these two were cheaper on some dishes by between $6 - $12 each which is alot since its the same food ?

The basic accomadation is stunning the resort is great, I have seen comments about the staff - all I can say is the staff we met were great , very friendly - Everyone was really nice.

The Dive Team (Sharif , Bruno, Benware, Neaz , Amy and Koen) were absolutely Awesome as were the Lads on the Boat who were very helpful.

The Gym is nicely equiped and air conditioned

++++++++++
Better still if they offered a pertcentage towards a meal in the other resturants we'd have gone and tried them out - but the food in the IRU was so good it seemed crazy to us to go pay $100 -$200 for a meal elsewhere

If they sorted out the expensive prices and reduced the dive prices we'd definately go back

Finally I'd like to say "Hi" to Phil, Sheena , Eric "the Viking" and Crazy Stu for making the Holiday even better ;0)

Enjoy

Garry & Elaine

PS. We are looking at one of the other Sun Islands for our next trip

Excellent stay

by TripAdvisor Member MiniMoscowRussia

Excellent hotel. Good island, very a clean sand. That is good for such idlers as I and my wife, here the ideal sea and a beach, there are no sharks and fishes and slopes but if you wish them to find that it is possible to float by a boat with a mask. And on island a full relaxation and the pure sea - ocean. The country house has 80 metres, but the private territory is much more, private armchairs and sofas. A back court yard and jacuzzi. A full minibar lcd the TV and a sound bose. In the hotel some bars and restaurants where all is inexpensive enough in comparison with москва. Wine is cheaper even than in the Moscow shop I do not speak already about restaurant. A bottle usual chainti antinori only 75-80 USD, porter Lion 8USD, heineken beer 6USD. In general very much I recommend if want the pure sea, the big country house and a good grill restaurant

Brilliant resort

by TripAdvisor Member AndyandCheryl

An excellent island with brilliant facilities. We had a beach villa, loads of room, a fantastic bed and top class fittings. This was the base accommodation but was still the best hotel room we have ever stayed in and in our opinion had several advantages over the more expensive water villas, namely the amount of space and direct access to the beach. The room cleanliness was flawless unlike some of the reviews we read. This resort is new and i think until all staff are trained to the same standard, some problems may still arise. The beach villa itself had its own sunbathing area complete with its own shaded area. The whole villa had a lovely relaxed feel. The bathroom was truly amazing, all outdoor complete with jacuzzi bath. If you see the photos, they don't do it justice until you see it with your own eyes.

Service in the IRU restaurant was good and the food was more than reasonable. It would have been nice to eat at other restaurants occassionaly on the all inclusive plan though. If you are going to go to this island, go all inclusive, if you don't expect to have your pants taken down! Everything is outrageously expensive, 9 dollars for a cocktail in happy hour is quite frankly almost rude. Just make sure you go all inclusive.

Water sports and the Dive centre are first class but again a little expensive. The dive sites are great, make sure you try Koen's dream if you are into diving. Snorkelling off any of the water villas or the dive centre is good and easily accessible. The beaches all around the resort are kept immaculate at all times too.

All in all, a truly excellent resort, brilliant rooms and somewhere I would go back to.

Help me with choosing the resort !

by maldivi

Have anybody been to one of these resorts:
-REETHI BEACH
-VAKARUFALHI
-VILU REEF
-PALM BEACH
-ANGAGA
-MEERU
-VELIGANDU
-IRUFUSHI
Please, give me some advice, which one to choose. I prefer nice beach bungalow,nice beach and lagoon for swimming (going with a 10 years old child), snorkelling site not to far from the shore, good food , nice beach bar..And which part of the island has the best beach ?
Thanks for the answer

Re: Help me with choosing the resort !

by alli8

Hi, I went to reethi beach april 2008. My first time in the maldives, not a bad word to say about it. The place is perfection, amazing beach all the way round,powder white sand, crystal clear, calm water, (no walls, just the odd sand bag, and a lovely calm bit next to the water villas), fantastic snorkelling and diving. It was my first time snorkelling, and i couldn't believe my eyes! My partner dived, and he assured me he saw just as much snorkelling. If your ten year old likes little nemo, he will think he is in the film! Great food, and alternative restraunts if you fancy a change, beach bars and exceptional staff.
I would highly recommend it to you.
Hope this is helpful x