Hovsgol Nuur Hotels

Our Members Say

• ardiinbagatur profile photo ardiinbagatur
  • Reviews: 1

Bonda Lake Camp: Hovsgol Nuur Bonda lake camp

Bonda Lake Guesthouse would be happy to welcome you in Hatgal, Hovsgol.
You will find in there Mongolian gers and rooms for accomodation, hot showers&sauna,internet, Mongolian and European cooking, and experienced Mongol guides for horse, hiking and fish trips in the area. And above all, friendship, laughs,Mongol songs and culture.
A great family place, well run and with full of advice about where to go and what to see around the nearby Lake Khovsgol and Darhad Depression.
Bonda Lake has organised horse trips since 1993.Their guides know very well the area and can organise horse trips corresponding to your needs.
Hovsgol offers landscape beauties from the steppes to the great Siberian Larches forest, mountains and pristine lakes and rivers, but also the discovery of Mongolian herders way of life and culture

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written January 29, 2011

• TomJenner profile photo TomJenner
  • Reviews: 2

Toilogt: Best ger camp in Khovsgul

I visited Khovsgul lake with my family in June 2009, so in preparation for the trip I asked around for suggestions for places to stay. I am interested in birdwatching, so asked one of the country's leading bird experts for advice - he said Toilogt. However, I also wanted some general info so I asked a friend who owns a local travel company and who was providing us with a guide for the drive up - she said Toilogt. I teach at a school in UB and some of the students asked where I was off to for the summer. When they heard I was going to Khovsgul they also recommended Toilogt. I didn't need a fourth recommendation.
I haven't visited any other camps in the area, but I have stayed at numerous ger camps elsewhere in the country and this was really top quality. The gers were comfortable and they kept the fires going at night by stocking up the wood every few hours (there was quite a bit of snow when we visited). The food was good and they had some very good quality musicians and dancers performing most nights, with some throat singing. I had a car and did my own trips around the area, but they can arrange trips for you and they have horses on site.
It is run by Hovsgul Travel (http://www.hovsgoltravel.com/camp.html), who have their main office near the Kempinski Hotel (on the other side of the big roundabout, heading south on the left). I seem to remember that it was about $45 per night for full board. Like most places in Mongolia this is per person, not per ger, so sharing doesn't make it any cheaper.

Tom

They look after you well. Its like they know what a tourist wants. However, it is run by Mongolians. The location is fabulous, beside a small lagoon on the main lake, which is surrounded by mountains.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written March 29, 2010
Tip Photo

• hongmingd profile photo hongmingd
  • Reviews: 49

Toilogt and Jankhai: The best camping ground in mongolia

From Khatgal, you can reach the gorgeous headlands of Jankhai, and also Toilogt where there is a rash of ger camps. But from here then the road gradually deteriorates, so you would find difficulties to walk further.
Khovsgol possibly the best place in mongolia to camp, there is endless fresh water, plenty of fish, and hiking is outstanding. There is some confusion as whether tourists can camp anywhere. Actually you can pretty much pintch your tent anywhere you want, try to stay 100 m from other gers, you should never camp or build fires within 50 m from the shore.

Need more to say? experience the camping yourself...

• Opinion of Price: least expensive