UB Guesthouse

UB guesthouse
HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Average

• Not professional

My opinion is pretty simple, they need to become more professional.We got a twin bedroom on Sunday and at first I said that we gotta be at least up to Wednesday, but on Tuesday morning(8:40am) a staff knocked the door noticing me that they have the bedroom we were was booked online and we gotta leave before 11am, honestly I didn't know what to say, I was with my mother in law and the option to have a common dormitory wasn't that comfortable. After few minutes I went to office and said that it wasn't professional and so on, he said: "you know I'm just a staff, talk to him" him(small rude guy) even didn't turn to talk to me and spoke in Mongolia with the staff, I said that we could speak in English once we spoke before, so he didn't talk to me. The staff said they booked another similar bedroom in other guest house, so we walked through and when we got there the girl just said nobody had booked anything here, so I just realized they were fully me with ***, as I was in hurry to buy my tickets back we got the corridor and I asked them to put the sheet on the beds and I also put my bags on them, when I returned at night, there were other people on our beds and they just put away my stuff. I couldn't stand for this situation anymore, I went around to check another place, we packed our things and we went to office to check out, the woman that talked to me, asked why we were leaving and why we disliked it, I used the same words above and I heard that I was not educated(kind of not adequate), I asked for respect and that she stopped yelling with me, so she kept saying why, that I wasn't right, that they gave the noticed with enough time and so on, thats how works their system, bla, bla,bla. I just said that I was pretty happy and that I'd like to pay and leave, after few minutes she finally got the payment and we left.So in case you gotta get a room there, make sure about the dates, because I'm pretty sure they won't aware you beforehand.

Unique Quality: Central and clean.

Directions: Close to the main square and avenue.

• Not professional

Unique Quality: The place is pretty central and handy, it is quite clean.

Directions: Close to main square and also the main avenue.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

A CHEAP HOSTEL IN ULANBATAAR

Having booked ahead for this hostel accomodation from Beijing one of the determining factors that I stayed here was the pick-up from the Railway Station and the close proximity to the city centre..Although it was usually rather busy there were enough bathrooms and showers to facilitate the customers..There was a good breakfast in the morning with hot tea and coffee avilable all day..

Unique Quality: The location is always important to me and the location for this hostel was good..The hostel was kept clean and the breakfast every morning was good..The proprietors were helpful with information although they really pushed for people staying there to take many and varied tours..There is also for hire good safety lockers for your valuables
    Unfortunately I have no photos of this Hostel
    E Mail ahead for Railway station pick-up

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL HERE WHEN OUT AND ABOUT AND ESPECIALLY AT RAILWAY AND BUS STATIONS AND ALL MARKET PLACES THIS IS THE PICKPOCKET CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

The Best Rated Place in All of UB!?!?!?

Because there really aren't any brand name hotels in Mongolia as of yet I basically researched the internet as far as places to stay went. I didn't need anything flash, just something right in the area around the city center where some minor attractions and nightlife would be within walking distance. So, I decided on the UB Guesthouse because apparently it is the highest rated place in all of UB.

In truth, I can say the following: I've slept in concrete and bathtubs that were softer than the bed I had. Also, for all the luring this place does in getting people to stay here (the packed them in while I was there), they can certainly do more than offer just one internet station and they should expand the kitchen or offer another one. Another thing I suppose I can moan about is the fact that there is a curfew, which they justify by saying that UB is a dangerous city to be in late at night. But what also can be said is they charged me $16 a night for a private room, so therefore, my expectations were met : ) Its a place I would recommend because of the price, the location, and the knowledge of the owners (they sell their tours pretty hard. Good thing I didn't need them since I know people in UB). I'm not sure I would stay there again though because of the curfew. Until then, I hadn't had curfew since I was 8 years old.

Unique Quality: In a Soviet style apartment complex. Location was outstanding. Sukhbataar Square, State Department Store, the museums, and the Gandan Monestary were all within close walking distance.

Directions: Roughly the intersection of Juulchny and Baga Toiruu Streets. Across from the Trade and Development Bank

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Cheap backpacker vibe

I only stayed here one night as I was going on a tour the next day and when I pulled up outside the rather grim exterior of this guesthouse, it didn't bowl me over with confidence. But, once you get inside, things aren't too bad considering how cheap it is. My room cost T12,000 (about US$10) and, yes, was small with nothing more than a table and chair. All rooms have communal bathrooms which do tend to get a bit dirty with hair etc but there is a good backpacking vibe here with a very small communal area where there's a TV. Breakfast is nothing more than bread/toast, jam and coffee and there's laundry and one internet PC so you have to wait your turn. Staff here are very friendly and answer all manner of questions. If you're backpacking on a budget then this is OK and is well located but if you've got a bit of cash then go elsewhere.

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Cheap and clean

UB guesthouse is a hostel in the city center. It's run by a Korean couple and it has good reviews from many travellers.

Apart from staying there, you can also arrange an inexpensive tour after arrival. People get asked after arrival whether they are interested in a tour and as soon as there are a few they decide on the length, shop and set off in one of those Russian style high legged vehicules. I've seen photos of people that have been on such a tour and wished that I could go myself but I had another pre-arranged programm.

I stayed twice in this hostel in dormitory rooms. They are mixed dorm. You may want to bring earplugs. There are several bathrooms with working showers and a small kitchen where you can cook yourself.

The cost of a night in the dorm is USD 5.00 including bread, jam and tea for breakfast. You can also get your clothes washed there. They do it for you for a small fee. You have to hang them for drying yourself but this isn't a problem as the place is well aired and there are lots of coat hangers in each room for that purpose.

One thing that some people consider a drawback is that you need to take your shoes off by the door and leave them there. So no smelly shoes in the rooms allowed.

Unique Quality: In the living room there is a TV where the travellers watch dvds non-stop. The hostel is rather intimate and cosy. They also offer a free pick up from the railway station.

You can book your bed ahead and believe me this hostel is extremely popular! If you want find your own way there, make sure you print out the instructions from their website as the entrance is not on the street side.

There are also lockers available. I must admit, I didn't use them. You can pay in USD or Mongolian money.

• exitnotebook's Profile Photo

Your Yurt Away from Yurt

It’s got everything you’d expect in a hostel: kitchen, free internet, security lockers, an extensive DVD collection of movies still in theatres, lots of bathrooms, etc. Where UB Guesthouse really set themselves apart was in their staff, especially Bobby and Mr. Kim, the wife and husband duo that run the place along with their intrepid staff. One staff member got our trans-Siberian train tickets for only an extra $5, which is around $100 to $200 cheaper than if you book them through an agency. They also knew exactly where I could get my Russian visa reliably and as quickly as possible. This was the third country I’d tried to grab my visa in and was running short on time and money. They also arranged an overnight horse-riding/yurt camping trip for $40. It was the end of winter and snowy. The yurt was very, very hot. Take shorts. More info and video at www.exitnotebook.com

Unique Quality: Free pick-up from the train station.

Directions: It's a short walk east of Sukhbaatar Square.

• mprevot's Profile Photo

best guest house in town

kim runs this guest house and he knows what travelers need. you find any information and help you can think of. there are lots of other travelers to meet and it's easy to organize a joint jeep trip.

a bed in adorm costs only 4$, including breakfast.

Unique Quality: very clean, great facilities, central.

Directions: walk north Baga Toiruu street and after the cinema theres a sign on the left side of the street.

Comments