Nepal Hotels

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3692

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

EVEREST HOTEL, KATHMANDU: PIGEONS HAVING SEX IN YOUR WINDOW

When I checked into this large hotel, I was told by the man at reception that the Everest had been the first luxury hotel in Kathmandu. It looked like it had not been updated since that day long ago. The carpets and walls looked dated, the man at reception looked dated, even the sign announcing the pool closure for renovation looked suspiciously old. You guessed it – it got worse from there. Yes, I was taken to a standard room despite booking something better. Up the old looking and sounding elevator through a dated looking corridor to a door. And inside? Yes, a weather-worn looking room. Dark, gloomy and that was some of the better qualities. A quick glance into the small bathroom revealed cheap toiletries and not much else. My bed felt cheap and was definitely not ‘luxury’. Unless it was a hold over form when they opened years ago. After the staff member left I went to investigate the fridge. Hmm. No, not plugged in and the electrical connections at the back of the desk looked dangerous. When I did plug it in, a high pitched whine ensued. A very loud high pitched whine. I had had a long journey from India and I just wanted sleep. I was ready to go to reception and ask for another room when 2 amazing things happened. Not good things. Very very bad things.

First I heard flapping. Yes, flapping. And squawks. And then something that sounded like cooing. I opened the blinds and I was presented with a dozen pigeons have an orgy of both sex excrement at the same time. Just think of Alfred Hitchcock’s movie the birds, with a lot more poo and you can smell it.

OK, so yes, I have enough going for me to ask for a room change. And then it happened.

Yes, the BAND started playing! What band. Well the large band with large speakers on the stage in the bar right above my head! Yes! I was staying in the room from hell!

Let’s just say the staff came to the room and said the pigeons were not that bad and band? What band? Just then the band stared playing again. “That band – show me a new room!”.

I was ‘ upgraded’ to a club room. Slightly larger with a sofa in it. The bed was still bad and I had a hard time sleeping. When I woke up the next day I could see my old room and why all the windows on one side of the hotel had hundreds of filthy pigeons. All the rooms large open concrete cradles for air-conditioning units. At some point in the past the hotel had purchased a single massive air-conditioning unit for the whole hotel and put it on the roof. This left dozens of massive, purpose- built pigeon habitats. And they were definitely breeding. Believe me I watched them at it. Luckily I was able to organize a move the next day to the much better Hotel Himalaya. Please read my review here.

The hotels had some plus points, kind of. You could sit on the roof outside and have an over-priced beer from one of the 6 bars and restaurants. And yes, one of them has a large stage with large speakers. The breakfast buffet is ok except for the omelette chefs. Those guys are fantastic, but they make them cook outside. Weird. Other than that there is a gift shop in the lobby.

When I stayed here they also had dug up the busy road outside and mud, dirt and dust flew everywhere. This was a very bad and short stay. I recommend, for the same price range, that you stay closer to town is one of several nicer hotels. The Everest has had its day and time has moved on. Well, with other hotels it has anyway.

HOTEL OVERVIEW
• 160 rooms (some non-smoking) and built in 1981
• 4 restaurants, 1 bar Bugles & Tigers) and a roof top beer garden
• Casino (gamble enough and the room is free)
• Free Wi-Fi
• Gym, sauna (chargeable) and pool (closed when I was there)
• Small shops, air-conditioned throughout, money exchange
• Café next door
• Tennis court
• Beauty center
• Complimentary daily newspaper (in the lobby)
• Travel Services, baby-sitting, Airport shuttle

ROOMS:
• 4 types: Superior, Deluxe, Club Double, Suite
• Club Rooms have a sofa and are located away from the pigeons
• Coffee/tea making facilities and a fridge
• Air-conditioned and non-smoking

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written August 11, 2013

THE BAND ABOVE MY BED !

Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge: Once In A Lifetime Experience

When you arrive and walk into the resort’s main room, there is immediately a feeling of relief from the hot, humid outdoor weather as the large bamboo ceiling fans gently circulate the air. The main room has comfortable seating and beautiful traditional Tharu décor. We were served cold lemonade and met Dibi, the resort manager, who described our accommodations and upcoming schedule of events. There was a sense of calm, cool, comfortable, relaxation, with attention to detail and service, that instantly felt luxurious. There are only 11 rooms at the Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge, but only three were occupied while we were there, including ours! So, there were only 6 guests at the resort. We definitely received very personalized attention from every aspect of the resort. The resort manager was happy to assist us with anything we needed.

Our room was a large room with two beds, a sitting area and a private attached bathroom with a shower. The room had ceiling fans and mosquito netting over the beds and the décor was beautiful, traditional Tharu village designs and materials.

The lodge has an organic garden on site that is used for many of the meals served. Lunch was usually a traditional Nepali meal. The food was delicious.

There was attention to every detail at this resort and a great effort to use traditional Tharu materials. The staff was extremely accommodating, pleasant and helpful.

Because it was low season, they were offering a special rate. The person who took the reservation was very helpful and spoke perfect English and simply asked for an email confirming the reservation. The number was +977 (0)1 4411225; reservations@tigertops.com. The low season rate was $144 per person, per night ($180, including taxes and fees). (I believe the high season rate is $250 pp) This rate included everything at the resort – 3 meals a day and all safaris, including elephant safari, river safari, jungle walks, elephant feeding, bathing, cultural show and anything else you can think of. While this rate was certainly more expensive than the resorts in Sauraha, when you consider all that is included, and the taxes and fees that will be added to all resorts, it was a very good value. It turned out to be one of the best decisions we made on our entire trip!

Tiger Tops resort has 8 resident elephants! They are extremely well kept and the guests are invited to visit, feed, bathe, ride and go on safari with the elephants. The handlers are exceptionally well qualified and have a great rapport with the elephants so that the elephants understand the commands and there is no hitting of the elephants at all. For us, getting to spend up close and personal time with the elephants was a once in a lifetime experience and well worth the extra cost of this resort!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: National/State Park, Jungle and Rain Forest, Safari
  • Written August 4, 2013

Lodge Main Room

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fewa Hotel Lakeside: Fewa Hotel - Pokhara

I liked the location of this hotel right on the lake and Mike's Restaurant on the property, also lakeside. My agent Nirmal Nirkami with Himalayan Magic Adventure in Kathmandu overcharged me considerably for this booking. He charged me $85 for a lakeside room during low season - May. We wanted a nice hotel after our trek and he booked this hotel for us. I found the hotel to be a pretty basic lakeside room. We arrived in Pokhara at night and this hotel was very difficult to find. Everyone kept asking if we wanted to go to Fewa Prince Hotel, which is a different hotel. We ended up having to call the hotel and have someone come to meet us on the main street to take us down the small alley to this hotel. We found out that this Fewa lakeside hotel is referred to as Mike's Restaurant or Mike's Hotel.

The lakeside rooms have a bedroom upstairs ( a very narrow and steep set of stairs) and the sitting room and bathroom are downstairs. The size of the room was fine and there was hot water in the shower. We had to leave Pokhara early in the morning and didn't get to really experience the hotel and lake, but I thought the hotel was okay for the right price. ( I didn't check into the price offered by the hotel, but I am sure it was considerably less than I paid.) I loved waking up next to the lake and enjoyed having breakfast lakeside at Mike's Restaurant.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Sailing and Boating
  • Written June 22, 2013

View from our Lakeside Room

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kathmandu Prince Hotel: Hotel near Thamel

This hotel is in Chetripati, just outside of Thamel. I thought the location was good, because it is close enough to get to Thamel in a few minutes walk, but not as noisy and crowded as Thamel. However, it wasn't the best hotel and hopefully there are better hotels in Chetrepati. The beds were hard as a rock and the room and bathroom were not especially clean. The lobby and hallways were very clean and the breakfast served in the lobby restaurant was fine. I would say this hotel was just okay. Certainly the beds could have been softer. However, it did have a private bathroom and a ceiling fan. My agent arranged this hotel and charged me $25 dollars. It can probably be had for less money if you walk in on your own.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written June 18, 2013
Tip Photo

Woman knitting in the quiet courtyard behind hotel

Dwarika's Hotel Kathmandu: A Tribute to Nepal's Heritage

You absolutely must visit this hotel! Even if you just go there just to have a drink in the courtyard and wander around to soak in the architecture and collection of artifacts from the 13th century forward. This hotel is a cultural heritage hotel that is a beautiful, relaxing oasis in the midst of the overwhelming crowds, traffic and chaos of the city of Kathmandu. The moment you enter the courtyard, you notice a lovely scent throughout the hotel and grounds, that is in sharp contrast to the dust, dirt and pollution of Kathmandu. (Most locals in Kathmandu wear masks that cover their nose and mouth to filter the gas, fumes and pollution in the streets from the vehicles.)

There are 86 rooms and suites that are luxurious, and unique, with custom, hand-made designs. The clear intent is to capture the essence and spirit of Nepal and I think they have done just that! The hotel was extremely attentive to detail from the moment I first contacted them by email. It is expensive, but I stayed there during low season and there was a very good special rate. It was well worth the cost to stay and experience this hotel.

Dwarikas is a heritage hotel that houses ancient architecture, carvings and artifacts and is built in the ancient Newari style of Kathmandu. It is a much like a living museum, built with handmade bricks and incorporating original wood carvings that are centuries old and historical artifacts from the Nepali culture.

The restaurants were excellent. There is one restaurant that serves traditional Nepali fare, serving a dinner of 6 to 22 courses. We chose the 6 course meal and found it was very good, but not that much different from the food we had on our trek in the Himalayan mountains. The sushi restaurant was truly wonderful and we ate there twice! On Friday night, they had a traditional Nepali barbeque, that was extensive. It seemed as though there were also many residents from Kathmandu at the barbeque, not just hotel guests. Breakfast each morning was an extensive buffet of hot and cold items, local breads and cheeses and made to order omelets. It was a great way to start the day!

The hotel has a spa and part of our package included a massage, so we enjoyed the Himalayan Trekker's Massage. It was wonderful and I didn't find the prices to be too extravagant. In the mornings, yoga is offered free of charge. It was a unique yoga experience, very different from yoga in the western world; an older Nepali man lead the class with moves that included belly rolls and aerobic moves for digestion. You definitely engaged muscles that you don't normally use! There is also a very nice gift shop on site. If you want to avoid the overwhelming shopping experience of Kathmandu and the "bargaining" of the street vendors, you can find some very nice things in the gift shop.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Arts and Culture, Architecture, Spa and Resort
  • Written June 18, 2013
Tip Photo

• bakish profile photo bakish
  • Reviews: 1

Hotel Parkland

I thoroughly enjoyed during our stay at Hotel Parkland. The surroundings were so pleasant and naturally full of green scenery. The customer service was excellent including the food. I would like to recommend this hotel to all the travelers who are planning to visit sauraha Chitwan Nepal.

I found that the green scenery was the most attractive aspect of the hotel.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Birdwatching, National/State Park, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 20, 2013

Trekkers Lodge: Mardi Himal Loop Night 8

My last night on this little trek was at Ghandruk - We first past through the old Gurung village, then after about another 10 minutes walking we came to a series of lodges. I first chose “The Sakura Lodge” but wasn’t so impressed with the attitude of the lodge owner so we moved onto “The Trekkers Lodge” which was actually more like a hotel than a lodge, even providing guests with towels as well as clean comfortable beds with freshly laundered sheet and pillowcase – Also the food was very good and a nice large comfortable dining room to eat in
At 150NPR for a room it was a Bargain too !!

• Related to: Backpacking, National/State Park, Hiking and Walking

Sunrise from Trekkers Lodge

Little Paradise: Well away from the crowds

On Day 8 we took lunch at a lodge called “Little Paradise” at Ghandruk Kot – I had been recommended this delightful little lodge my a frequent visitor to Nepal and after taking lunch there, I am happy to also recommend this beautiful isolated little lodge – Especially for those wishing to take a day or two “Out” just to relax, eat good food and take in the magnificent mountain views.

Little Paradise

The Jhinu Guesthouse: Mardi Himal Loop Night 7

Day 7 was a very short days trekking, only about 2 hours, so we arrived at Jhinu mid morning, selected The Jhinu Guesthouse, had a coffee and headed down to The Hot Springs – As hoped, these were nice and quiet, so we did all our washing and relaxed in the warm waters for a couple of hours before returning to the Lodge for a late lunch.
Then spent a relaxing afternoon on the patio talking to trekkers before a good dinner and an early night.
Nice clean rooms, inside toilet, hot showers available (But we had bathed at The Hot Springs) good food and run by some very nice people so a great choice for Jhinu and at 200NPR for a room, not too expensive either ;-)

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Backpacking, National/State Park

The Jhinu Guesthouse

The Hiunchuli Lodge: Mardi Himal Loop Night 6

The trail down from Forrest Camp to Himalpani was incredibly steep, so after a quick stop for coffee we only walked on as far as New Bridge (Himal Kyu)
Here we had lunch and as our next stop was going to be Jhinu for the hot springs, and we had been told that these got very busy in the afternoons, we decided to stay at New Bridge.
We selected The Hiunchuli Lodge in the middle of the village which had nice clean rooms, an inside toilet and a nice patio area to sit outside – The people running the lodge were very friendly and my only complaint was that I ordered my dinner for 17.45 and it was 19.00 before it arrived – And I was the only trekker staying in the lodge !!
But the food was good, plentiful and inexpensive so still a good choice for New Bridge
My room was 150NPR

• Related to: Backpacking, Hiking and Walking, National/State Park

"The People Behind the Places (R)" Rob in Nepal

We again selected the same Lodge in Forrest Camp: Mardi Himal Loop Night 5

We again selected the same Lodge in Forrest Camp on the way back down – We had left some washing to dry on the way up and the lodge owner had looked after it and put it away once it had dried and returned it to us when we arrived – This saved us both a bit of weight as well as carrying wet washing on the way up.
This time we had to share the facilities with a large camping group – But they were nice people and we had a good “Crack”
We received a great welcome and it was nice to stay again at this beautiful little lodge

The Camping Field at Forrest Camp

The Lodge at High Camp: Mardi Himal Loop Night 4

There is only one lodge at High Camp so no decision to make where you stay. But it is a wonderful Lodge with nice clean bedrooms and a wonderful dining room with a great fire. The toilet is outside, but not too far away and clean.
Again, Good food at a very reasonable cost, especially when you take into consideration the altitude of 3550m (And not 3900m as on the trekking maps) and run by very friendly people.
I paid 200NPR for my room, so not an expensive choice either ;-)

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Backpacking, National/State Park
Tip Photo

Machhapuchhre at Dawn through bedroom door

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The 2nd Lodge at Low Camp: Mardi Himal Loop Night 3

As there was only one Lodge open at Low Camp we didn’t have to choose, there is a second lodge that will probably only open in the main autumn trekking season
Ours was the upper one of the two, simple bedrooms and a very simple separate dining room, but it did have a fire and as we were now at around 3100m the nights were getting markedly chilly ;-)
The toilet was a bit of a hike but was reasonably clean
Good Food at reasonable cost so although very simple, still a good choice of stay and not too expensive at 150NPR for a bed

"The People Behind the Places (R)" Rob in Nepal

Rest Camp: Alternative choice for your second nights stay

There is now a new lodge between Forrest Camp and Low Camp called “Rest Camp” – This doesn’t appear on the trekking maps and is about an hours trekking above Forrest Camp. It would make an alternative choice if Forest Camp is crowded, or if you are on a tight schedule.

• Related to: Backpacking, National/State Park, Hiking and Walking

Ang modelling a sunshade at Rest Camp

The 3rd Lodge at Forrest Camp: Mardi Himal Loop Night 2

We selected the last of the three lodges in Forrest Camp for second first nights accommodation on The Mardi Himal Loop. This was again around 4 hours trekking, so another short days trekking.
We chose this lodge primarily because it had the nicest dining room, a separate building opposite the accommodation, There isn’t a fire but the owner said that they were hoping to fit one later this year
There are only 3 rooms available which are simple but clean (2 of them have 3 beds) and there is a clean outside toilet not too far away as well as a hot shower available for a small charge
Again, Good food at reasonable cost and run by very friendly people so a good choice for Forrest Camp
Again I paid 100NPR for my room, so not an expensive choice either ;-)

Our Lodge at Forrest Camp