P.O. Box 9432, Thamel, Narsingh Camp, Kathmandu, Nepal

Agoda.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• jerjc99's Profile Photo

Very poor value. Not recommended at all.

This is an overpriced, badly managed 2-star hotel. You pay for internet in the room, but you don't get it, except intermittently and even then the connection speed is pathetic. They blame it on the ISP, but the internet café 20 metres down the street has a good service and it is uninterrupted.
    You would think that US$40 per night would include electricity round-the-clock. But it doesn't. They only switch the generator on if you beg them to, and they act like they are doing you a favor.
    They don't know what clean is. Everything is full of dust and grit. The elevator breaks down or stops short of the floor you want. The maid left my room unlocked after cleaning it, so it was open to theft all day. If you complain, the manager and the reception staff become rude, verbally aggressive and insulting. The room rate doesn’t include breakfast, but it does include blaring loud music from the huge discotheque next door. It’s guaranteed to keep you awake until the wee hours.
    On top of all that, on checking out they stung me for using MasterCard, claiming that the Finance Ministry obliges them to convert the dollar rate into local currency at a really awful exchange rate.
    To summarize, this is the most unpleasant hotel experience I have had during 20 years of living in and travelling around Asia. The Excelsior is appalling value for money. Don't let them put you through what they put me through.

Unique Quality: Don't be fooled into thinking the rooms have great views. Some of the rooms may have had a decent view years ago, but because of the many buildings that have sprung up in recent years, NONE of the rooms has a view of the mountains today.

Directions: The hotel is located in Thamel. Lots of shopping, food, coffee, money exchanges, convenience stores.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Hotel Excelsior Revisited Wonderful Hospitality

This time when I visited Kathmandu, I wanted to stay at The Hotel Great Wall, I also called them from India for booking but somehow, I was not getting Mr. Ritwik Das on call. He is the person who arranged my stay there last time. I even booked my room but at the last moment I changed the decision as I could remember that there was a dancing bar next to hotel who make lot of noise and has become a den of bad things.

So, I called Mr. Hiran Shahi, Manger of Excelsior and asked for a room. They did not allow any discount and also charged for double occupancy but yet I found it was cheap and much better what we get in India for that price. I had to pay Rs1000/- NPR ( USD$14) for single occupancy, but the room was airy, clean and safe, without any noise.

The staff were very helpful and courteous this time, especially we the Manager Mr. Hiran and I stroked a cord. That was the gain this time.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Kathmandu's Clean Budget Accomodation

I dont' know whether I should put this tip on "Tourist Trap" or hotel accomodation tip.
    Before going to Kathmandu, I checked our VT members of Kathmandu. I found Mr.Furi G.Sherpa, I requested him for help to locate me a hotel with in my budget( I went to Kathmandu after 16 years with family, I wanted to have little safety as the condition of Nepal has deteriorated since the Monarchy has gone. Moreover, I did not want to venture out in Thamel after landing in the late afternoon with family & luggage). Well I had little knowledge about the fact that Mr.Furi Sherpa is a full fledged travel agent, with a partner Mr.Lakpa Sherpa. Both offered me transfer from Airport with receiving and accomodation at very reasonable rate. The rate offered was good by our Indian standard and I was happy that I had a good bargain. Later after meeting some people and friends I learnt that tourism is in shambles in Nepal as very few tourists are coming to Nepal due to Maoist problems. The hotels are offering more and more discount ( usually 40-70% on printed tarrif) to get tourists for their rooms. We cross checked this and found it to be true. you can get Four Star room in Kathmandu for Rs1000 Indian or USD$ 25! We immdiately decided not to stay in Hotel Excelsior on our return from Pokhara and try another hotel, though we had nothing against this hotel. Another thing I did not like was Mr. Lakpa told me not to pay any amount to hotel directly but pay him and he will give me a bill instead. Now it was clear to me that he managed a hefty comission. The hotel sold the room directly to Mr.Sherpa, perhaps they survive on that. Before going to Kathmandu I sent an email to the hotel asking for rate, they never replied my querry.

Unique Quality: The room had comfortable bed, hot & cold shower, fresh towels, blankets everything a good budget hotel should have. The staff behaviour was excellent. I was even allowed to make one or two local calls for free. Anyway local calls are only Rs2/- per three minutes and they charge Rs5/- per minute from the tourists. Our stay was comfortable except for the reason mentioned above. The location of the hotel was great.

Directions: Ask for Narsingh Chowk.

Comments