Block No. 16/57 Thamel, Ward No. 29, Kathmandu, Nepal

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Hotel Thamel

NAMASTE

by sa-mi

After 22 hrs of fun on the plane, we arrived finally at Tribhuvan Intl. Airport of Kathmandu/Nepal. Much to our surprise, our baggage made it too, on the same plane AND in one piece. For the first time we noticed that we did overpack - the stuff is so damn heavy!!! As we stepped outside the customs area and made first contact with the local population, our baggage got even heavier since each of us had 10 friendly Sherpas hanging on our backpacks trying to help us. As usual in these countries, everybody has a special deal, a special hotel, a special Tuk Tuk (Taxi) or the best way to show us around and have the best time of our life - for no money of course. Since we were pooped, we decided to take the lazy way and got a hotel confirmation incl. taxi ride right away at the airport. So we ride in our bigger Tuk Tuk and our driver drives us carefully around the lazy cows who hang around on the street (and we were reminded not to touch or hurt them - they're holy in this country). Our hotel, a recommendation to everyone, Hotel Thamel - with balcony overlooking kathmandu, shower and toilette (which is flushing all the time you press the button, but it doesent mean that the "stuff" (sandras) gets flushed away), costs us only 13 usd... which means luxury. In the afternoon we strolled around in the Thamel area experiencing the amazing cultural mix of western and oriental style. So many colors, sweet smells the air from the scented sticks and curry like herbs and flavours (sometimes you also catch a dump and urine breeze...:-)!!
We found at least 10 guides that promised to climb the Everest with us by tomorrow (very cheap). Today we switched hotels and now we are sleeping under the roof from a Dalia Lama Hotel. We just visited the Swayambhunath (Monkey Temple). Sitting on top of the hill west of the city. Amazing - A must see. Just slogging up the 365 steep steps makes you feel that you have earned your admission and shows us that we are not built to climb the Mount Everest. As we sit now at the bottom of the mountain and having a beer we've earned by climbing the stairs up and down, we got our first houndred mosquito bites an a little taste of the monsun rain.
CHEERS... further updates to follow.
- May 4th -
On the way back we learned the difference between the real SADHUS (holy man) and the not so holy one. They chased us for miles for a Rupee, which is not so holy for the Hindu believe. But German and Swiss footwear is faster!!!

The Courtyard Hotel, ThamelThe Courtyard Hotel, Thamel

The new Airbus 320The new Airbus 320

In front of the Buddha Air Mountain  flightIn front of the Buddha Air Mountain flight

Buddah Bar - KathmanduBuddah Bar - Kathmandu

Sabine Grüneklee is missing in Kathmandu

by mikee68

Hello,

I´m looking for my sister Sabine Grüneklee (international spelling is
GRUENEKLEE) who is missing since 16th October 2005. She's 31 years old,
1,68 m (5.51 ft.), skinny, has green eyes and ties her brown hair to a
pony tail. During her holiday in Nepal she stayed a longer period in
Kathmandu. The last time she has been seen in the Blue Horizon Hotel,
Thamel. There she's been noticed departing with a small backpack to
propably start a day trip round Kathmandu. But she has never come back.
That is very untypical for her, especially since she was supposed to meet
her boyfriend at the airport of Kathmandu on the 18th October.
Unfortunately she has never shown up there.
We are very worried. If you know anything about her, about her current
situation or if you have seen her since 16. October 2005 please let me
know. Below's a picture of my sister and another of her backpack.

For further informations (a picture and another of her backpack - or german, spain and french version): http://www.hasenfus.com/sabine/

by AmyLeeGee

Hi there,
I visited your webpage. I feel so sad for you. I hope that you find your sister very soon. I have a friend who is a tour guide and lives in Kathmandu - I have sent him a link to your website. He is often in Thamel and I will ask him to keep a watch for her.

My thoughts are with you!

-Amy-

by ericaj.

There is a small community of Nepali immigrants in Hamburg that maintain small businesses and/or apartment buildings in Kathmandu...I have forwarded your link to a couple of friends here with hopes that maybe someone may have seen her from the young reletaives they have at home. Our hearts are with you...

e.

by tremendopunto

Im really sorry to hear that, but everything fits to the newspaper article I read a couple of days ago. The mortal remains of a female traveller have been discovered in the Nagarjun Woods close to Kathmandu. They believe she is from Munich - I hope it is all just a confusion....

Accommodation in Kathmandu...

by lovelyliola

I have had a tour company recommend one of two Hotels in KTM- Hotel Marshyandi and Hotel Thamel. We are a middle aged couple not looking for a party, comfortable surroundings with private facilities and preferrably Nepalese owned/operated. Does anyone have any experience of these two accommodation houses?

RE: Accommodation in Kathmandu...

by butterfly_girl

I am not sure about the two hotels you listed, but I would highly recommend the Hotel Vajra, it is not right in the middle of Thamel, so it is a quieter, more peaceful hotel. I really enjoyed my stay there. They also have a nepalese dance show and nice restaurant... and as an added bonus, each morning you can hear monks chanting from the nearby Buddhist temple. The rooms are clean and simple and the price is reasonable.

RE: Accommodation in Kathmandu...

by Saagar

The Marsyangdi is fine, Thamel is more hustle and bustle. Another one is Tibet Hotel in Lazimpat. For quiet surroundings (but far out of town, Godawari Resort may be something). But you cannot have everything, probably, so stay in a central location in Kathmandu (the Vajra is fine, though..., but some ways out from evening life), and try some more rural and quiet settings in Chitwan, Pokhara, Nagarkot or whichever other places you are going to. I don't know about the Marsyangdi, but some fairly fancy hotels I know from gutwrenching experience do not maintain the same standards in the kitchen. Do opt for outside meals and do not feel obliged to eat in your hotel. Near the Marsyangdi there is a good choice of quality restaurants.
Saagar

Travel Tips for Kathmandu

3 National Parks Wildlife Adventure Saafri.

by Deepakmainali

Bardia National Park in the western Terai and Royal Chitwan National Park in the central Terai lowlands and Koshi toppu provide some of the best wildlife and nature viewing places in Asia. Visit a wonderful world of lush sub-tropical jungles, tall elephant grass, lakes and rivers which is the home to some of the most endangered animals on earth, the elusive tiger and the prehistoric rhinoceros, including many species of mammals, birds, insects and reptiles are some of the examples of endangered animals which are being protected in both the National parks. Adventure Zone Trekking & Expedition (P) LTD has developed a tour by elephant back, jeep and boat. Savor the forest and its unique sanctuary on a quite nature walk with a local guide.

For the more serious bird watchers the Kosi Tapu Wildlife Park, in south-east Nepal provides a unique venue for watching migratory waterfowl, waders and shore birds that congregate along the Koshi River from December to February every year. We have a choice of jungle lodges, tented camps and guest houses from where you can explore the Himalayan parks and its wildlife. Nepal’s most famous National Park (Chitwan National Park) is situated in the Chitwan Doon or the lowlands of inner Terai. Covering an area of 932 sq. km. the park includes a hilly area of Siwalik range covered by deciduous sal forest. This ecologically diverse area is the last remaining home in Nepal for more than 300 of the endangered Asian one-horned rhinoceros and harbors one of the largest populations of the elusive and rare Royal Bengal tigers. Besides rhino and tiger, Chitwan also supports a great variety of flora and fauna. There are four species of deer, wild dog, wild cat, crocodile and the park is the paradise for 450 species of birds.

Jungle activities include jungle safari on elephant back, canoeing, typical tharu dance, jungle walk, bird watching and visit of crocodile hatchery. The program can be one night to 4 nights long depending on your time available. Chitwan can be reached by car, raft, and flight and by bus.In a single jungle safaris tour in four major and prominent national parks in Nepal, we have tried to give short, simple and sweet introduction and activities taken place in and its value for visiting for particular purpose. It is not necessary and compulsory of visiting all the places in a single tour you can choose one of it, two of it or all of it depending upon the time and budget you plan. Not only this, all most all of our programs and itineraries developed and designed are customizable. So, feel always very comfortable to ask and make your plan by yourself and let us know what kind of tour you like and which of the place you think is more important and valuable for you to do. We will plan for you accordingly keeping your interest and budget in the centre.

Day by day Itinerary [Click here for detailed Itineray]
Day 01 - Arrive in Kathmandu 1350m and transfer to Hotel.
Day 02 - Kathmandu Sightseeing
Day 03 - Fly to Nepalgunj and transfer to Royal Bardiya National park after lunch jungle activity.
Day 04-05 - Full jungle activity.
Day 06 - After breakfast transfer by private vehicle to Chitawan National Park.
Day 07-08 - Full jungle activity at Chitawan National Park.
Day 09 - After breakfast Transfer to the Koshi Tappu National Park especially for bird watching.
Day 10-12 - Full jungle activity.
Day 13 - After breakfast arrive Kathmandu from Koshi Tapu National park.
Day 14 - Free day at Kathmandu.
Day 15 - Final departure from Nepal. PAirs of shoes, sun glass, sun cream, simple sleeping bag and good digital camera.

What is there to shop in Kathmandu-5

by goutammitra about Nepali Madal ( Drum) & Guitar!

The Nepalese Madal is a unique Drum you can buy for your friends or yourself. It is unique in nature and sounds sweet. Try to hear some Nepalese folk song and you will find extensive use of Maadal! Also featuring Spanish or Hawaian Guiter, you can also buy for yourself as they are very cheap compared to west about 1/10 th of the price and sounds well!

Please go in for bargain in Thamel area as the shopkeepers of Thamel area do not like Nepalese people as their customer as they feel Nepalese people would pay only genuine price, where as an westerner will pay them ten times more since he does not know the real price! Bravo! Madal would be available for Rs 300 -400 and Guiter for Rs.1500- 5000! A bargain indeed.

A piece of my country in Nepal...

by schlumpf about La dolce vita

Definitely a place to come if you want to eat well!
After more then 3 weeks in India, where I had a fatal match with the indian cousine and moreover with their igienic conditions, once I got in Kathmandu, I asked to my nepali friends, (thanks again Phritu!!!) to take me into a place where I could eat something good, accordling to my abits.
That said, my friend brought me in the center of Thamel, a.k.a. the tourist ghetto of Kathmandu, where there is an amazing and beautifull place to eat, called “LA DOLCE VITA”.
This place is an italian restaurant and has such a nice things to eat that goes from hundreds kind of pizza, to pasta, lasagne and so on.
They offer also such a “disocutned menu” that offesr you a pizza plus a coke and coffey for less then 100 nepali rupees which is definitely a great price!
The view from the balcony, like the balcony of Julia+Romeo, is something amazing, a lot of people walking ups and downs, and you are doing what?! Degusting an amazing lasagna with the home-made pasta! Unbelievable, if I could close my eyes, I could hear my mum asking me if i wish to have the second piece of that food!!!
I am italian, and I can assure , the lasagne are the most nicest one I have ever had outside my own country!
A great place to chill and moreover a great, centrally located and cheap place to eat!
Com’on y’all!

"A Kool Kitchen"

by illumina about Chameleon Diner

Again situated on Freak street, this lovely restaurant is upstairs in a gorgeous Newari house, which is really atmostpheric, and has a lovely view through the carved windows. My partner's momo sizzler looked great, and I ate water buffalo meat for the first time! The tag line, 'A Kool Kitchen', is their own!

Comments