Value Score No Data
Good For Business
A very decent hotel, away from the Thamel noise
I have stayed here twice now, over the last 2 years, both in November during mountaineering trips. The reasons I will continue to come back here are:
1. It is just far enough from the touristy and crowded area of Thamel, that is a popular place for shopping in Kathmandu. I have stayed in Thamel hotels too, but I prefer staying away from the noise. You can briskly walk down to Thamel from here in about 15 minutes.
2. The hotel is very decent, in that the accommodation was clean but not plush, the rooms are good-sized but definitely not cramped, the beds are not soft but also won't break your back, the toilets are not 5-star but have all basic facilities in working order.
3. There are a couple of working computers in the lobby where you can access the internet for about 50 rupees for an hour (cheap). Wireless internet is available in the lobby for some 150 rupees for a day package or 50/hour. Cheap enough to check mail once a day.
4. The restaurant is good, I dare say. I have dined here 3 times over my 7 days of stay here and I haven't been disappointed or come down with diarrhea. I especially relished the chicken momos.
5. The staff is usually attentive, friendly and polite. Of course you might find a brattish attendant once in a while, but that is true of most hotels anywhere in the world.
Unique Quality: 1. Roof top restaurant, for a quiet evening read with a beer
2. Just far away from the maddening crowds of Thamel, yet walkable
Directions: Ask for Radisson hotel (5 star); turn right into a lane in front of Radisson and go about 30 metres. Hotel Tibet is to your right.
In Lazimpat: Hotel Tibet
Stayed here for three prolonged periods, one of these times I came and went three times. Booking and such services always impeccable. I figure that the place is popular also omong climbing teams, and Hotel Tiibet has its own hangers-on - repeat visitors treated like family. Very nice and sympatetic owners.
Didn't use too many of the hotel's services on offer, but the average users' stuff: laundry, room service food, telephone, writing/PC use in the room etc.
The electricity plugs were odd, but I managed to pry them open with a pen.
I have never been fond of their breakfast or lobby restaurant ("The Himalayan"), but the Tibetan outfit "Lhasa Kitchen" on the roof top is good. Some people in a party I once brought there got very sick by eating the a la carte food here, and I figure the kitchen staff isn't the most hyginenic or competent crew about.
Meeting rooms available on the top floor.
Unique Quality: It is quieter here in Lazimpat than in Thamel, the downside is that there are less diverse businesses in the neighbourhood. Super friendly and helpful hotel staff. Prices can be negotiated, often discounts for organisations, groups.
Run by a Tibetan business lady of stature, power and charm.
Business centre of sorts on call, with people that can assist you in business matters, computing, ticketing and the like.
A low key Tibetan carpets and curious store opens upon request
Good beds, big rooms, but a bit on the dark side - Tibetan architectural trait? I once needed a fridge beyond the minibar size as I had perishable goods for my embassy, and they promptly installed one.
I rarely watch TV while in KTM, but there is a TV in each room.
Plenty of eateries nearby if you take my hint regarding the hote kitchen standard.
Good outside terrace for an evening drink served by the Lobby Bar.
Directions: Along Lazimpat north of the Royal Palace, turn into the alley that leads to Raddisson Hotel, turn right at the entrance square to that hotel and proceed till the straight end (200 meters) and you'll be there.
Great Hotel. Nice rooms with en suite. Friendly staff. Great breakfast.
Only negative slighty out of the way near the Royal Palace. Still able to walk to Thamel but crossing the main road can be risky.
Unique Quality: Great views from the roof
Popular Hotels in Kathmandu
67/27, Z-Street, Thamel, Kathmandu
Taragaon, Boudha, Kathmandu
JP Street, Thamel, Kathmandu
Explore the World
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Valemount
- Barcelo Lina Santo Domingo
- Russell Hotel
- Town And Country Inn
- Sandcastle South Beach Resort - Myrtle Beach
- Fairmont Singapore
- Langkasuka Hotel
- Hotel St. Gregory Park
- Grand Burstin Hotel
- Samba Vallarta By Pueblo Bonito
- Rosewood Victoria Inn
- Eden Hotel Amsterdam
- Hotel Medium Confort
- Hilton Garden Inn Times Square