Taragaon, Boudha, Kathmandu, Nepal

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Good facilities but a bit isolated

Stayed almost 3 weeks on business in April 2011. The public areas are nice and the rooms are looking dated but are clean. The bathroom is large and has a soaking tub. We upgraded to the executive floor but I'm not sure it is worth it. You get a continental breakfast in the club room but the full breakfasts in the main restaurant are great and come with the room. There is a two hour happy hour from 1730-1930 every night with finger food and drinks which is nice and you can borrow their laptop for free ($8 an hour in the business center). The Indian buffet in the restaurant for dinner was a disappointment but ordering Indian off the menu worked out well. The pizza in the bar was very good. The hamburgers and local dumplings in the lobby bar were also good. The hotel is isolated so aside from a historical Stupa nearby there isn't much to see. They is a supermarket about two city blocks away out the back gate. The front desk staff is a bit disorganized. For example they couldn't change US$100 one day. They also wanted me out of the room by 1700 hours (I had a 2330 flight) until I complained to the asst manager and got to stay until it was time to leave.

Unique Quality: Good food at all the restaurants.

• edelng's Profile Photo

Nice architecture hotel

This is a lovely hotel. The air in the hotel's vicinity is great. You can feel the difference when you are out in the street. The water seems clean and safe. So far, I did not suffer any stomache upset drinking their water. The room was very spacious. There was a large marble bathroom with a bathtub and a speparte shower. and I will definitely be going back again this October. The minus point is they gave one set of towels, always had to ask for one more. Otherwise, the overall service would be great.

• MASRYNA's Profile Photo

one of the best hotel in Kathmandu

Really like this hotel. Nice view. They have a casino that always pack at night. Good service. What else i can say its 5* hotel.

Unique Quality: Overlooking landscaped garden and swimming pool with view of the Boudhanath Stupa

Directions: Located 4km from the airport and walking distance to Boudanath Stupa

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

Kathmandu's Other Royal Compound

A huge compound that reminds me of the palace in Lhasa. There are wonderous views across the swimming pools towards the giant stupa of Bodhnath. It is a quiet oasis from the sometimes chaos just outside its walls. Needless to say, it is quite a contrast to the poverty just outside, too. One night is about equal to the average annual salary.

Unique Quality: There are great business meeting rooms, ballrooms, restaurants, pools, gyms, handicraft stores and a wonderous view of Bohdnath.

More about Hyatt Regency Kathmandu

The BEST hotel in Nepal

by Geisha_Girl about Hyatt Khatmandu

Staying at the Hyatt Kathmandu was like staying at a Royal Palace. Certainly quite fit for a fairy tale princess!

They have a state-of-the-art facility equipped with beautifully decorated rooms and lobby.....a great fitness center.....and exquisite menu in their restaurants.

I indulged 2 nights at the Hyatt. The rates were well below the average rate at any Hyatt around the world.

The only drawback is that this hotel is located quite a ways from the central area of Kathmandu....sort of tucked in a little area (not too far from the airport).

Great service and nice luxury compared to the guest houses I stayed at in the mountains.

Great Hotel in Kathmandu

by TripAdvisor Member jjyw

Spent 5 days at the Hyatt Regency Kathmandu with some friends.

Overall had a great time here as this is by far the 'best' hotel in Kathmandu. By best I refer to the fact that they have all the comforts of home but the trade off is again something corporate. The thing about Nepalese hotels is that a self proclaimed 4 star hotel is really a 2 star hotel. I would rate this one as a 4/5 star hotel as it has all the amenities and quality of hotels back in the States.

Additionally, they try to make the style Nepalese which I think they did a great job of.

-------------
Comfortable Rooms - Rooms were simple but comfortable

Great View of Boudanath Stupa

Breakfast downstairs was quite good

Helpful staff at Check-in and arranging tours/flights of Everest

-------------

A bit removed from the tourist haven of Thamel. A taxi ride back at night through the dodgy neighborhood can be unnerving for some.

Superb Service in Kathmandu

by TripAdvisor Member Crazy_Canuck077

I've just returned from spending a total of 16 days at the Hyatt Regency, Kathmandu. Though I went at in the wrong season, Monsoon, this Oasis in the middle of chaotic Kathmandu made the trip worth while.

I arrived at the beginning of June and was picked up by the a hotel driver without a hitch from the airport. Driving through the city to the hotel was manic, as was expected, however when we turned into the driveway of the Hyatt the noise of the streets faded behind me. The beautifully green gardens and sheer size of the hotel building itself almost looked out of place.

I stayed my first week not leaving the hotel the first three days. Sitting pool side, sipping cappicinos, and just enjoying the space was superb. Walking about I was greated with a 'Namaste' by name and a smile. When I finally did decide to go and explore the daily shuttles to the various tourist spots around the Kathmandu Valley made it easy.

I left for Pokhara to go trekking for three weeks and stored some belongings at the hotel. There was no issue as to the amount I left behind.

Upon returning to the Hyatt to spend an additional 10 days I was greated with many smiles and 'welcome back', again by name. After checking in I went up to my room and had a 'Welcome Back' card waiting for me in my room along with a box of chocolates (from the Rooms Director). The room itself again was great. Living up to the Hyatt quality of cleanliness, simple yet classy style and all the amenities one expects.

This second stay I upgraded to the Club Level. In the morning continental breakfast was simple and nice and all day beverage & biscuit service made for a great excuse to indulge. In the evenings from 5:30 to 7:30 PM was canape and cocktail time. Again a lovely place to unwind from the day's activities.

The spa & healthclub was okay though they're currently making some changes to take it up a level. There are two restaurants and one cafe in the hotel. The Rox is by far superior offering a classy ambiance and select menu. The open kitchen plan adds to the bar/
restaurant style plan. I payed US$110 per night which is likely because of the time of year I was visiting as I was really happy with
the rate. As a single female traveller it can sometimes feels overwhelming being in a new and very different place. The staff at the Hyatt made me feel completely at ease and ensured I had everything I needed. It's important to note too that around the city I never felt threatened or uncomfortable. I think it's safe to say the service was amongst the best I've experienced. Overall my stay was wonderful.

Absolutely the best in kathmandu

by TripAdvisor Member madhup

Had been to kathmandu several times in the last 10 years but had the opportunity to stay at the hyatt for the first time and wihtout a doubt will be staying here on any subsequent visit to kathmandu.
I feel compelled to write about hyatt kathmandu as i have never enjoyed my stay so much as i did in this beautiful property amidst the dirt and pollution of kathmandu city.

It was impeccable service by the staff i was there with my wife and 18 mth old kid who absolutely loved there pool and stayed in it for almost 2 hrs a day. The only jarring part of my stay was the behaviour of the manager at there fine dining restaurant ROX,no surprises that it almost runs empty most days thanks to the behaviour of their manager.

The place has a beautiful lobby, clean rooms they are large and aesthetically planned, nice cafe where breakfast was served very attentive staff although i seemed to get the feeling that they were expecting a tip whenever i even glnaced at them.

Well kept manicured gardens made it a joy to walk during the evenings and especilaly after it had rained, great view of hte boudnath stupa was visible from my room and took some great pictures.
All in all the best place to stay in kathmandu and most definitely will be viositing it agian next year.

A little piece of heaven...

by TripAdvisor Member Adventure4fun

I spent 1.5 weeks at the Hyatt in Kathmandu and it was a thoroughly memorable experience. The city of Kathmandu is hectic with all its frenzy but the moment the hotel's shuttle entered the gates it was a different world. Truly a little piece of heaven...

The first thing you set eyes on are the grounds which are beautiful - lush trees, colourful flowers and beautiful statues. I was always greeted with a warm smile and 'namaste' from the hotel staff. As you wonder into the hotel the feast for the eyes continues with a tranquil water fountain and pond that is laced with candles in the evening to make the ambiance even more welcoming and warm.

The hotel and its rooms are immaculate - the cleaning staff do a very good job. I stayed in another hotel in Nepal during my stay that was a similar rate to the Hyatt and was no comparison to the Hyatt, especially with respect to cleanliness. You never have to worry about anything scurrying in your room at night when you're at the Hyatt! The rooms are modern and comfortable. I especially enjoyed the large, sunken bathtub - that was a real treat.

All staff went 'above and beyond' the call of duty, aiming to make my stay pleasurable. The staff had a knack of always making me feel like I was at home. The Hyatt offers shuttle service several times throughout the day to the city and to/from the airport which I found to be extremely convenient. It is evident by the finer details that this hotel is very well-run and operated.

The pool is very beautiful and clean - a really nice way to relax. The hotel also has a 1.5 km jogging track through the trees around the hotel grounds which was an extra bonus - going for a walk amidst the tranquility of the hotel; not having to contend with the craziness outside the Hyatt's gate.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Kathmandu - you will not be disappointed!

Excellent value for Money

by TripAdvisor Member JohnsonFive

My wife and l spent a week in this fantastic oasis on the outskirts of Kathmandu.
After the hustle and bustle of the city it is indeed a delight to retreat to the comfort and elegance of this Hyatt Property. The first impression and all subsequent impressions are second to none. All restuarants whilst a little expensive, are excellent. Breakfast was not only excellent, but the staff were more than helpful.
If you have the opportunity spoil yourself, and stay on the top floor in a Club Room. It is well worth the treat. In the Club Section we found the staff literally exceptional, and nothing was a bother. They really made our stay. Thank you.
About 500 metres over the back fence here is a well equipped Supermarket. You will need to be let out by a guard, but the experience is well worth the adventure.
The grounds are maintained exquisitely, and staff are generally more than polite.
The Bell Desk Staff are also worthy of mention and their experience was extremely beneficial and greatly appreciated.

You must catch a taxi into Thamel, it is worth the experience, but the Hotel runs a free shuttle several times daily. A tippinh culture is in place in the hotel, but franky l found their service to be totally worth it.

If you do nothing else in Kathmandu take a morning flight to Mt Everest, it is an experience to behold.

The ony letdown in the whole complex was the co located Travel Agent. When they were there, they were not particually helpful and were the only drawback to out time in Kathmandu. I can strongly recommend Himilyan Encounters whom are situated within the Kathmandu Guest House in Thamel.

In all, the Hyatt was an excellent Hotel.

Comments