International Guest House

oceania26's Profile Photo

Good Guesthouse

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 20, 2008

Perfect location because it's outside of Thamel but close walking distance with all amenities near by. The court yard and patio are absolutely gorgeous - tropical plants and flowers everywhere. Great way to start of your day by eating breakfast in the patio. Though it's not quite in the heart of Thamel it is still quite noisey at all hours of the day but I'm sure it's way better than the sounds in Thamel.

The inside decor on the main floor is great too but the same can't be said for the actual rooms - at least not the standard room. Though I'm sure it's cleaned thoroughly the fact the the rooms are dark and dingy gives the appearance it's not so clean. The curtains are disgustingly dusty and linens have stains on them.

Great breakfast - excellently priced - keeps you full until dinner.

I wish the rooms were brighter especially since the electricity is off most of the day! I'm not quite sure if it's the whole city or just the hotel because the front desk has electricity (for payment/phone, etc).

The advertise free internet but they are 2 very old and EXTREMELY slow computers so unless you want to send of a quick email, I would suggest to go to a internet cafe.

Free airport pick up is also included but no one showed up to pick me up even though it was confirmed - the owner said this is because I didn't indicate if it was am or pm - well I checked the email sent and I did indicate and also most flights into KTM are in the morning and early afternoon - he should know that. I think he was just covering his butt but anyways I took a taxi and they paid for it (the tourist information at the airport called the hotel and arranged for a taxi).

The staff are very friendly, helpful and attentive and provide good information. The owner is not always quite so honest. I would not recommend going on a day tour with them because you're paying 2000 rupees for the driver to drive you around (4 hours) but it's not actually a guided tour, you have to pay extra for that.

We took the taxis ourselves it cost 250 rupees to each site for a total of 750!

I would also caution against going to the pashmina shop that is recommended as well since it's more expensive.

Unique Quality: Excellent views, location and breakfast. Great way to meet other folks

JoseMonteiro's Profile Photo

Feels like home

by written on August 30, 2007

We arrived in Kathmandu and the van from the hotel waited for us under heavy rain. After several "namaste" and a short ride we arrived to the International Guest House where we were received by it's friendly staff. You can't avoid, imediatly, a feeling of being at home: the rooms are confortable, the staff is very cordial, the hotel is so nicelly decorated... I loved, particularly the garden and it's sofas where I used to rest after (or before) another day in Kathmandu, drinking black tea or beer.
A word for the staff: Mr Mukheya Gurung - thanks for the hospitality. We became friends and that resumes everything; and for all the others (sorry, don't know the names), thanks for your simpathy.

Unique Quality: The facilities are very good, rooms are very good and clean. The place I loved most was the garden, a small oasis in the city. The roof top is also a great place where the 360º view to the Kathmandu Valley invites you to spend some time there.

Directions: Close to the touristic area in Thamel, the IGH is close enough for you to get there (2/3 minutes walk) but also far enough if you don't like the confusion of very "westerned" cities.

traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Peaceful surroundings close to Thamel

by written on April 18, 2007

Despite being very close to Thamel, it is in a peaceful setting. The garden is enclosed by high walls that blocks out the sound of the traffic. Great place to relax in. Our room is a standard room which is spacious and comfortable. The rooms are cleaned every day, which is something that we haven't experienced for some time. Staff are really friendly. We have paid $16 a night for the room. Certainly good value for money. There is no curfew unlike other hotels that are around.

Unique Quality: Peaceful surroundings within a few minutes of Thamel. The whole of the hotel is designed for you to relax in, the garden, plenty of comfy chairs in the lobby, on the balconies that wind around the rooms.

This is now our second stay here, this time we were offered a bigger discount than before as it's May.

Directions: From Thamel, go along 7 corner, cross over Paknajol, hotel is just in front of you to the right. It is well sign posted.

undisputed's Profile Photo

Nepal stay

by written on December 27, 2005

Excellent guest house.Good service.But hot water only for limited hours.Heater available for extra cost

Unique Quality: Typical Nepali architecture

• Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation
  • Free High Speed Internet

Kathmandu Travel Forum

Need advice about Kathmandu, Nepal? Visit the Travel Forum for Kathmandu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kathmandu hotel reviews