Laughing Buddha Home

Thamel, Kathmandu, 14467, Nepal

More about Kathmandu

Water tank in the royal palace BhaktapurWater tank in the royal palace Bhaktapur

Street scene near the rani PokhariStreet scene near the rani Pokhari

Thamel areaThamel area

Stone Carving in PashupatinathStone Carving in Pashupatinath

Hostels

by galaguiba

Hi there, can anybody recommend a Guest house or Hostel in Kathmandu?
I will be there from the 29th of August 2010 to Sept 3rd.

Also: anybody going to Bhutan Aug 26-29?

Thanks!

by into-thin-air

I would choose The Hotel Nepalaya in Kathmandu, this is on the edge of Thamel and is set well back from the main street so well away from both traffic and bar/restaurant noise and only opened at the end of last year so is practically brand New and a bit more upmarket than the average backpacker haunt, Nice Large well furnished rooms with private bathrooms, 24 hour Hot water (Reliable) Comfortable beds, satellite TV, Osculating fans or AC for an extra charge. Nice roof terrace too.

They will also give you a free airport pick-up if you are staying more than 2 days, if you think the web-price’s are too steep then email my preferred agent as he can get you a good discount ;-) His contact details are on the travelogue entitled A Very Important Decision on my Nepal page.
I hope that helps a little but If you need more info then feel free to drop me another line

Good Luck and Happy Travels

Rob

by galaguiba

Thanks so much Rob, this is most helpful.

Silly me, I just needed to check on other 32 people asking the same as I did.
All answers are there.

by lahoree

Hotel GreatWall in the center of Thamel inside a street. Peaceful location, neat and clean. Just about $10 a day. Just ask a taxi driver and he will drop you there.

by simon_russo

I agree with this post..i did like Hotel Greatwall in Thamel...

by galaguiba

Thanks Guys, I will check on your suggestions, and post ANOTHER note on Bangladesh, Dhaka, see if I get any good stuff as well.

by ryneann

hi i will be in kathmandu on 24th to 28th Aug. I am planning on staying at Kopan Monastery.

I will be travelling alone also.

Travel Tips for Kathmandu

Kathmandu - Still a fantastic place

by XKuger

I should say that my favourite thing about Kathmandu is the numerous fantastic handicraf t and sovineer shops in Kathmandu all at affordable prices to buy stuff.

The Sherpas are nice people with a fantstic warm heart who welcome everyone with open arms.

An nice experience over all My fonest memories would be the wonderful Sherpa people that I met during my Trek to Everest Base Camp. Really nice people who were very warm friendly and open.

The superb mountains all around you that almost makes you feel how insiginificant you are in front of these huge peaks.

Un forgettable memories.

Nepalese monkeys

by SLLiew

Monkeys are found in temples and are tolerated although they do cause havoc in their hunt for food. Hanuman is the monkey god in Hindu religion. Also naughty monks are thought to be reincarnated as monkeys.

Pashupatinath, Bagmati bridge

by sachara

In Pashupatinath stand the most important Hindu temple of Nepal on the banks of the Basmati River. It is even one the most important Shiva temples in the on the subcontinent, so also visitors from India come to this holy place.
The Basmati River is a holy River and so is Pashupatinath a popular place to be cremated. The burning ghats are just north of the footbridges.

Pashupatinath is 5 KM west of Kathmandu and can be reached by bus. Go off at Gosala.

Taxis of Kathmandu.

by goutammitra

Seeing around is the most important part of our travel and if you cant see in detil even after paying lots of money, it is only our badluck. In Kathmandu, most of the tourist either travel alone on foot, on bike, on Motorcycle or by taxi arranged either by hotel or by a travel agent. In most of the Kathmandu hotels they have a travel desk, who arrange taxi for us at a very high price. Though Kathmandu taxis are comparatively cheaper than our Kolkata taxi, but booking for the day costs very high amount. The travel agents will give certain fixed destinations at a very high price after taking a great cut from the taxi bill. Most of Kathmandu taxi and private cars are old or second hand. The first day we paid Rs 2000/-( or USD$ 40) per day. Next day I took a taxi from Kathmandu street and bargained for the day for Rs1000 (IC, USD 20 day) for more distance and more coverage. Bonus, if you treat the driver as your friend he will show you the most inner parts of the place or keep your extra wishes for free. We took Hari for three days and showed more things than we expected. At places he also worked as our guide!!!

Classy Thamel Restaurant...

by chazgilbert about Third Eye Restaurant

The Third Eye is one of the finest restaurants in Thamel, offering quality Tandoori, Mugali and Continental Dishes. A very traditional feel, good music, and friendly staff.

There's a sit-down section at the front, and a slightly more cultural, but informal section with low tables and cushions at the back. Chicken Tika Masala, very nice. My first meal in Kathmandu!

Tandoori dishes are especially good.

Comments