Kathmandu Hotels

Our Members Say

• PSharma profile photo PSharma
  • Reviews: 2

Local: Local Hotel

There are different type of hotels in Kathmandu (five star hotels to local inn). I was on a budget hen I visited here. So I decided to live in a local inn. It was not very easy to find a cheap hotel. Nepalese hotels are usually cheap if you compare it to US hotels but if you search you can find hotels in $2/night (that's not including breakfast).

Well from price I think you can tell it was not a great hotel with pool or anything. There was a bed and a small bathroom. That was good enough for me. I went to local cyber café to use computer. It was cheap too about 20 cents/ hour. I went to local restaurant to eat.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Singles
  • Written August 21, 2013

• toosahn profile photo toosahn
  • Reviews: 18

Hotel Nepalaya: Good value for the money

I spent five nights at Hotel Nepalaya and I think it is in a great location in Thamel, the tourist area of Kathmandu, and it is a good value for the money. The staff is very helpful, friendly, and they speak excellent English. This hotel readily accepts credit cards but adds a 4.5% surcharge, which is common in Nepal. I had a hot shower every day, clean room, extra blankets, although I didn't need them, and best of all, when the electricity goes off, as is common in Nepal, they have a light bulb that still works off the generator. That was so helpful! They also have two computers with internet in the lobby, but one morning when they weren't working for some reason, they allowed me to use the hotel laptop which I thought was so nice of them. Breakfast on the roof was nice, lovely rooftop. Mediocre food, but I found that to be true for any hotel I've stayed in in Nepal. This was my second trip to Nepal, and I liked this hotel much better than the first one I stayed in. For what I paid, I felt it was a good value, and breakfast was also included. That 24 hour light and hot shower made this budget option great, in my opinion.

Nice rooftop views, very helpful, friendly staff

• Related to: Backpacking, Adventure Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written April 6, 2013

• Skibbe profile photo Skibbe
  • Reviews: 567

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ti-Se Guesthouse: Peaceful spot with a helpful staff

This is just a short walk from the Boudhnath Stupa and a few miles east of busy Kathmandu. It is owned by a Tibetan family and the restaurant is vegetarian though even a carnivore like me enjoyed it. My room had a view of the stupa.

The staff really bends over backwards to help you and make you feel welcome. You can trust their advice. They keep a very friendly atmosphere here.

• Written July 25, 2012

• cachaseiro profile photo cachaseiro
  • Reviews: 1924

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Kathmandu view.: Decent budget hotel with a good restaurant.

I stayed 3 nights at Hotel Kathmandu view.
I first of all chose the hotel because of it's location right in the center of the city, in a street where there is also a little life in the evening.
The hotel is located in Thamel and is one of those charming old places with a bit of dirt in the corners, but that is fine with me as long as i have a decent bed and a bathroom and i had that at the Kathmandu view.
My room was on the tthird floor and should i come again then i will insist on getting a room a little lower as the hotels free wifi sometimes was hard to catch from my room.
The hotel also has a restaurant and i ate there several times as it was absolutely brilliant.

A suprisingly good hotel restaurant.

• Related to: Food and Dining, Budget Travel
  • Written May 27, 2012
Tip Photo

My room at Hotel Kathmandu view.

• cachaseiro profile photo cachaseiro
  • Reviews: 1924

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Langsisha Guest House.: Cheap and simple guest house.

Langsisha Guest House is a simple Guest House situated in between Thamel and Durbar Square.
I stayed there a couple of nights and found that the Guest House itself is quite cosy with a nice courtyard, cheap and friendly little restaurant, but my room was a little too shabby for my liking.
The bed was ok, but the room was quite damp and the Guest House had power cuts 90% of the time i stayed there so i could not turn on the light or the fan.
I also only had running water for a few hours while i was there and i do like a quick shower when i get home from a long day of walking, so i was not totally satisfied with the place.
they might be excused for the power cuts, but i did notice that the buildings next door were not nearly as badly affected we were.
But the price of the place was so cheap that i will not stand and moan too much cause i only paid 6 dollars for a single room and then you have little right to complain i think.
All in all it´s an ok choice for a backpacker on a budget as the place is quite friendly with a cosy atmosphere.
They also had free wifi that worked roughly every second time i tried to use it.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 9, 2012

Langsisha Guest House.

• sandrakbk profile photo sandrakbk
  • Reviews: 2

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BAGPACKERS in Thamel: Cool Little Hotel with Great Prices

I have stayed at Bagpackers in Thamel two times and I really like. It is clean, and the staff is really friendly and helpful. Cost will be about $20 per night as of 2011.

I think it is a place where a lot of travel agents and international guides stay. They hang out on the rooftop, chat and maybe play a guitar. But it is never too noisy. Just right.

It's small and a little hard to find. I like the rooftop garden.

• Related to: Kayaking, Hiking and Walking, Adventure Travel
  • Written March 5, 2012

Hotel Chautari Kayman: Very good hotel at Nagarkot

Stayed two nights, enjoyed my time here. This was a leisure trip, so no work clutter destroyed my time and mood - very nice.
Stayed overnight in a separate de luxe bungalow within the same compound.

Excellent view, of course, situated at 2015 maslgood food focussing on Nepalese, Indian, Chinese and Continental (that's nearly all, then?), viewing terrace overlooking the East Himalayan mountains.Forex counter, safe deposit for when you go out for a hike. Good place for conferences as well, they have facilities for about 60. Strikes me as a good place to arrange a marriage party!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 13, 2011

Samsara Resort Hotel: Nice hotel in Thamel, good location

A quite standard issue hotel in the northern part of Thamel, downtown Kathmandu. Definitely not a resort, and definitely not "samsara". But good service, good rooms for the price compared to e.g. Kathmandu Guest House. A bit cramped feeling when I looked out of my room, right into the next hotel's windows.
Electric outlets in odd places, but they worked.
Good breakfast buffet, but very small and cramped eating area. You hurry to eat and leave, not a place to linger over the newspaper.

Nice reception area, service minded staff, good and intimate bar area for a night cap.

• Related to: Business Travel, Backpacking
  • Written November 12, 2011

• Liatris1 profile photo Liatris1
  • Reviews: 145

Holy Lodge: Good budget in Thamel

We stayed at Holy Lodge 2 times. Both times we got a large double room with a small bathroom.
There is a shared terrace, and the last time we stayed in the room next to the terrace. The standard is ok to for this budget.

There was usually power cut at 8 in the evening, and then the generators started... It lasted for 1 to 4 hours. The hotel across the narrow street had the generators placed in our direction, so it was a releef when they turned the generators of.

No restaurant at the lodge, but it was possible to order food anyway. They went to the sister lodge where they have a restaurant.

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written October 1, 2011

• mamtap profile photo mamtap
  • Reviews: 124

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hyatt Regency KTM!!~~: Hyatt Hospitality!!!

Hyatt is already carrying a brand name in the world of luxurious hotels. Not only in India or Nepal, it has gain popularity in most of the parts of the world. You can book your stay through Internet as they have their own website plus you can also get discount rates as some booking sites are offering discounts. I love their food, specially Japanese Food and the Mushroom cuisines. Their services are A-One and they'll do anything for the satisfaction of guests.The only facility lacking (I feel) is no WI-FI in the Hotel. :(

Hyatt services include 24hr room service, airport transfer, business center, safety deposit boxes, internet access – LAN, valet parking and first-rate sporting and leisure facilities will find pool (kids too), massage, gym and sauna. Time flies in the Regency Club and their Sushi are my FAV. :D

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Casino and Gambling, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written September 1, 2011
Tip Photo

Hyatt frm da Room... showing ROX Bar!!!

• narkaji profile photo narkaji
  • Reviews: 13

Hotel Sunset View: Pleasant place to stay

We only stayed there for one night when my wife was returning from the UK but we found our short stay very pleasant. The hotel is in a secluded part of Naya Banewsor. We chose the place because it was conveniently located near the airport. The lobby is small but nice and the staff are friendly. We stayed at the newly constructed wing where the rooms are spacious and the balconies offer a beautiful view of Kathmandu. The hotel also has a restaurant which serves authentic Japanese food. In the evening we had dinner there and tried their speciality of barley noodles which was interesting. The breakfast is complimentary a mixture of Japanese and continental dishes.

They have a lovely manicured garden which is ideal to sit and relax. Though it is in the middle of the city, you feel you are more in the countryside. I think this is the perfect place if you are transiting through Kathmandu and want to stay close to the airport.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written July 18, 2011

• narkaji profile photo narkaji
  • Reviews: 13

Hotel Sunset View: A Quiet Retreat

We only stayed there for one night when my wife was returning from the UK but we found our short stay very pleasant. The hotel is conveniently located in secluded part of Naya Banewsor. We chose the place because it was close to the airport. The lobby is small but nice and the staff are friendly. We stayed at the newly constructed wing where the rooms are spacious and the balconies offer a beautiful view of Kathmandu. The hotel also has a restaurant which serves authentic Japanese food. In the evening we had dinner there and tried their speciality of barley noodles which was interesting. The breakfast is complimentary a mixture of Japanese and continental dishes.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written July 18, 2011

• stamporama profile photo stamporama
  • Reviews: 208

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Nepalaya: Reasonably priced with breakfast

The whole stretch of Thamel street is a bewildering array of souvenir stores, restos and hotels all lumped together. It can be mind-boggling to choose the best one for you as location would be a non-issue.

This hotel was recommended by my local agent Nirmal Nakarmi (see my Transportation tip about him) as he offered me a rate lower than what the hotel website advertises.

The hotel is basically OK as it is located on a back alley that's 20 meters from Thamel street so the street noise does not reach you. It's a 7-story building with a lift that's nice to have (if there's power), hot shower, cable TV, a rooftop cafe for breakfast, and a stored luggage area beside the reception. During power outage, the room has a single light bulb that's solar-powered that you could use. But the hotel does have its own generator so if the power shedding sked runs too late only then will they turn it on.

For some reason, the temp in my room was constantly cool even when there's no electricity or aircon present!

Downside: when I got into my room, there was an empty water bottle that was not disposed of by the housekeeper. The wooden closet wouldn't lock, and they do not have a metal in-room safe. The worst part was when I discovered the following morning that one of the linen of my blanket had a big yellow stain on it! Good thing another sheet separated me from it or I may have developed a skin rash or something.

I would NOT recommend this place even if the price was great.

Well it's right smack in the middle of the tourist district which is all souvenir and handicraft stores, travel and trekking offices, restos, bars, other hotels, etc. So the location is convenient.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 10, 2011

Hotel reception

• illumina profile photo illumina
  • Reviews: 1057

Annapurna Lodge: Hippy hangout

We stayed in this simple hotel on Freak Street, preferring the quieter nights and proximity to the Durbar Square over the tourist delights of Thamel. I think we paid 350NPR for a double without a bathroom. The lights were often out, since there are frequent power cuts in Kathmandu, but the staff bring you candles. Hot water is also a bit hit and miss - best to have a shower at around 4pm!
The restaurant downstairs is good though, and very atmostpheric.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written April 19, 2010

Hotel Greewich Village: Far from the Meridian - close to embassies

Stayed overnight here a few times for meetings and conferences. The place is good, and close to significant things for the business and conference traveller, like international businesses and organisations' hq's in Pulchowk/Kupondole area, embassies, the UN building etc. For the average toursit on his or her own it makes perhaps less sense to stay here, quite distant from KTM city centre and sights.
The hotel is good, has a view toward the seting sun, a pool and reasonalbly good in-house services and amenities. The Summit, the Himalayan and the Greenwich compete for the same segment customers, and Greenwich has been for a while, so they must do reasonably well.
Linked to the company that owns the Godavari resort.

Pool and a good bar is always welcome returning to your temporary home after a streneous and dusty day (or weeks!) out.
Not a big hotel, you will not become just a number hee.
Several good restaurants nearby, catering for an international clientele.

• Related to: Seniors, Business Travel