Ever Green Guest House

Lake Side, Baidam-6, Pokhara, Nepal

More about Pokhara

Phewa TalPhewa Tal

Streets of PokharaStreets of Pokhara

Waiting For Bus? Kathmandu 71KMS!!!Waiting For Bus? Kathmandu 71KMS!!!

The Toilet of the room.The Toilet of the room.

Annapurna 4-day trek

by Mac____

Hi!

Could anyone recommend me a cheap guide,who can take me to Annapurna from Pokhara or directly from Kathmandu?

by into-thin-air

If you are looking for “Cheap” then you should consider using a porter/guide, this is usually a guide who is studying to become a government licensed guide but hasn’t passed all his qualifications, Ok, they aren’t as experienced as the fully fledged government licensed guide, but are usually very keen, speak some English and also carry a proportion of your gear. Also you are helping someone who is trying to progress up the ranks in the guiding world !!
Their prices are $15 to $20 per day including their food, accommodation and insurance, but not including transportation to and from the trailhead or tips.
My own recommendation to secure one would be to contact my old friend Nirmal at HMA in Thamel(all his contact details are on the travelogue entitled “A Very Important Decision on my Nepal page) – I have listed my reasons on why to hire your staff through an agent rather than off the street on my Nepal tips section on here – in fact you might well find it useful to browse these tips as there will be a few bits and pieces that will come in handy for you !!
Good Luck
Rob

by LeCeleste

into-thin-air gives the best information by far for Nepal.
However Himalayan Magic Adventures.... I would never recommend them.
I contacted him 6 month before doing the Annapurna Circuit , I had to decide quick cause it was the high season ...and he gave me a 18 year old boy who hardly spoke any English.
When I demanded a professional porter/guide I got one who had to ask the way from other people (he only knew the way from Jomosom-Pokhara)
Emails are misunderstood,many mistakes overall in what I asked for
The only thing Nirmal looked professional in ....was counting my money

Maybe talk to other trekkers about their experience when you arrive in Nepal.

have a great trek

Marina

by pentium5

I am doing this businee since 18 years.It is not my intention to give a young guide to any of my clients.Still I am really confusion my self.if you would not mind please tell me your trekking guide name and from which date you start/end your trek.For your kind information I only use goverment licence holder trekking guide only.

Thanks

Nirmal

Travel Tips for Pokhara

mosquito repellent

by equinoxe

Actually one can buy everything there... Raincoat (a portable one, so that you can always carry it on with you - as you never know when it's gonna rain), good walking shoes (as well as sandals), shower shoes Yeah, I always take toilet paper with me. :-)
Medical supplies - definitely something against malaria (I had bought the medicine in India - it's called Sudarshan - black, bitter tablets). It's good to have something against fever and stomache ache. I prefer natural medicine, so I bought most of the stuff in India, in ayurvedic stores... I had an idiot camera and I regret it now. But on the other hand, travelling with a good camera would be risky (we had a sand storm in Kali Gandaki gorge).

Western Grub

by illumina about New Family Restaurant

Most places on Lakeside do a mix of Nepali, Indian, Chinese and Western fare, and this is no exception. They do a very good Chow Mein, as well as beans on toast or cheese and tomato toasties (70NPR) for those feeling a bit homesick or under the weather!

Sunrise visit to Sarangkot

by Folbi

Order a taxi from your hotel to Sarangkot (leave at 6 am at the latest). After a few minutes walk you'll reach an observation point where the views on Machhapuchhare (the sacred "Fish Tail" reaching 6993m at its highest Himalayas views) and Phewa Lake are tremendous.
You can walk back to Pokhara in less than 2h. Ask for your way to local children who will be delighted to help you in return for some rupees.

Himalaya from the sky

by Pijlmans

We took the bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara, to see Nepal from near by, and went back to Kathmandu by plane to see the Himalaya from the sky.

Make sure you are on time at the airport to claim your seat next to the window on the right (as in correct) side of the plane of course ;-)

The view is worth the price of the ticket (about 80 dollars in our case)!

Hiking to Siklis village part 1)

by Saagar

Siklis village is the largest Gurung village there is, and one of the highest located ones, too. It is situated straight north of Pokhara, high on the western slope above Madi khola, below Annapurna II. The village has a west-southwesterly aspect and thus catches a lot of sunlight and warmth for it's altitude. Snow will fall sporadically during the winter. ACAP has its own brochure on Siklis, so I won't repeat all that info here. You will in any case have to obtain a 2000-NRS ACAP permit from the ACAP office in KTM or Pokhara Lake Side to visit as Siklis is located inside the Annapurna Conservation Area. Then you can pick up the brochure as well.
But why should you go???
It's a very nice village, with flagstoned paths and Gurung stone houses, very long and comfortable ones, some of them. The fields of Siklis stretch all the way from the Modi Khola at some 900 m altitude uphill past Siklis (1900-2000 m) to the grazing areas 1t 3000 m plus. In the lower reaches there is rice cultivation, while the upper part of the agricultural terraces are used for potatoes, millet, moola, wheat, buckwheat etc. It's a hard day's work to check on the fields!
Mules and donkeys bring the grains back to the farms from down below. To process the grains, numerous old and newer grinding mills are located along the small creeek passing through Siklis.
There are splendid views of hills and mountains, and with a little walking, immense mountains (Annapurna II and Lamjung Himal) become visible and loom above. Many day trips and outings possible from Siklis, and Siklis could be part of a longer trek as well. It's on the so-called Eco Trek route as well (see my tip later).
One lodge, a purpose-built building holds a kitchen area, dining area (below), and sleeping areas upstairs, some 10-14 beds available. Also room for tents outside. Located at the edge of the village, just when you arrive from below. See my accomodation tip on Siklis (later).
There is much to see and do in Siklis, so a stay of two full days isn' exaggerating it.

Comments