Casa Crystalla

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 reviews
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 5 reviews

Budget Travel Road Trip Business Travel

inadequate security in this hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 27, 2013

I can agree with other reviews of this hotel as regards cleanliness , value and employee friendliness , which is why I've stayed there frequently over the past few years .
However my stay there in January 2013 wasn't so good . My room was entered late at night , whilst I was out , by means of another key , a large amount of cash , my laptop computer , cell phone , watch and debit card were stolen .
I can accept that it was unwise of me not to make use of the available safety deposit box at the front desk , but its just that I was so trusting of the circumstances and employees . I thought all my possessions were secure because the room door was locked .
The manager subsequently apologised to me that this crime had occurred and permitted me to stay for two nights on a complimentary basis . I was grateful for that because I was left so short of money .
The police explained that a thorough investigation was stalled because the internal CCTV cameras were only focused in the lobby and main staircase , not along the corridors to the rooms . However all three accommodation floors are linked and can be easily accessed from the outside of the building by means of the internal fire escape staircase . They also put it to me that , over the previous months , many people have possession of the keys , and can easily have a copy cut , which can be passed on to local criminals , ie not just one key for guest , another for the housekeeping dept , but other illicitly held keys are in existence .
I'm certain that it was not a hotel employee who entered my room , however I find it difficult to think that there was no insider collusion . How else could the burglar have known that a foreigner was staying in this particular room ( that night only about nine of the twenty seven rooms were taken ) , furthermore that he wasn't using the hotel safety deposit box so it was likely there was cash in the room , and that I complied with the same pattern of behaviour , going out at the same time every night , and not returning for about two hours , and indeed was not in the room at that crucial time , so there was no risk of confrontation , disturbance and therefore possible apprehension .
I do find some comfort in that because if it had occurred whilst I was in the room , or even if I had returned early and interrupted whilst the burglary was in progress , confrontation might have resulted in a severe injury or even loss of my life , not just money and possessions . ( I'm 66 years of age , with some heart condition health problems ).
I wonder if there is some significance in that a few days after this crime , , it seemed that the two agency security guards , who were regularly assigned to this hotel , were replaced .
It doesn't inspire confidence , as I noticed that regularly in the early hours , the front desk clerk was dozing off with his head down , and the security guard was lying flat out on the sofa, almost like dead , or comatose , I mean I know its night , but I thought that the concept of being a shift worker was that you sleep during the daytime when your work duty is at night .
I think this hotel is not safe for any guests , whether foreigner or Filipino , . Certainly , as it seems the rooms can be so easily entered by means of illicit keys , it can't be safe for a young female to be alone in a room there .
I remained in the hotel for a few weeks before my flight home , because by credit card was the only means that I could pay , having very little remaining cash .
In that time I noticed that additional CCTV cameras were installed to cover the room access corridors .

For A Very Nice Stay in CDO

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 28, 2012

Was in CDO for training and Casa Crystalla made by 5 day stay in CDO a very pleasant one. Rooms are clean, service was great and had ok internet connection. Will definitely stay here the next time I bring my family to visit lovely Cagayan de Oro. The food of thier restaurant Mom's Corner were great. Loved your Lechon Kawali. ^^ . And at 650 pesos a night? Definitely got much more for what I paid.

Unique Quality: Clean rooms, fast internet connection on wifi and great food. All at a very affordable place.

Directions: Just a few paces away from the main road of Divisoria.

paolodecastro's Profile Photo

Affortable Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 9, 2012

The location is very accessible to everything.....fasfoods, cafe, plaza's, etc.. It is in front of Xavier University at the back of PNB Cagayan de Oro area. The price of a single room is Php 700+. The room is more than what you paid for with a nice and clean toilet...comfortable bed, flat TV....I am suggesting this place to all traveller's going to cagayan de oro. I also have noticed that business people prefer to stay here, I am not shocked since the place is very nice....affordable yet it feels like your in a high end hotel..:):) Two thumbs UP...for that

Directions: It is in the front of Xavier University at the back of PNB Cagayan de Oro

Nearby Casa Crystalla

Casa Crystalla

• Casa Crystalla Hotel Cagayan De Oro

Address: corner Pabayo & Toribio Chaves Sts, Cagayan de Oro, Philippines

Cagayan de Oro Travel Forum

Need advice about Cagayan de Oro, Philippines? Visit the Travel Forum for Cagayan de Oro and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cagayan de Oro hotel reviews