Dusit Thani Manila

See Amenities
suroyista's Profile Photo

Dusit Thani Manila - A Luxury Hotel

by written on September 18, 2011

As I have mentioned in my profile, I am a Hotel Enthusiast, regardless of category level. I find everything about it very interesting - from the building structure & design, to the smallest amenity & simplest service.

In this review, I will share to you OUR PERSONAL LEVEL OF SATISFACTION, base on our experience, by simply rating the amenities and services that we have used and availed during our stay. My rating will be from the scale of 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest). I will also highlight the hotel's outstanding qualities and features, if there’s any.

Now, if after reading my review you will find yourself asking; "is it really true?". Well, my only advise to you is, "go check in, and see for yourself..." ;o)

Ratings for Dusit Thani:
Concierge - 10
Spa (Devarana) - 10
Security - 10
Hotel location - 10

Unique Quality: Location - Situated in the heart of the Philippines's premiere financial district, Dusit Thani Manila hotel sits on the lap of luxurious sights and sprawling urban hubs that offer reliable access to city splendours, historic sites, meeting and convention centres.

Lobby - Everything you see in the lobby speaks for excellence. I can really say that everything has been considered and was given importance, even the smallest details.

Ladies in the lobby - I am not sure how to call these beautiful ladies, dressed in a thai-inspired attire, who are standing in strategic locations around the lobby. Everytime a guest pass by in front of them, they will give you a big smile and will bow down their heads (while their hands are positioned in front of their chest, just like the hands of the buddha praying ;o) ). Some of them can be found near the elevator, others are near the desk and even right in middle of the lobby. Well, not really sure what kind of concept they are trying to follow or project, but one thing is for sure their gestures or way of greeting every single guest surely gives a wonderful impact to the hotel. It gives guest a quick experience of royalty. ;o)

machomikemd's Profile Photo

Thai Owned

by written on July 2, 2011

one of the more budget friendly four star hotels in the Makati Area. The Dusit Thani hotel was formerly a Nikko Hotel Manila and was acquired by the dusit group of hotels thailand in 1990's and was renovated and is now one of the cheaper four star hotels in the makati area. The facilities here are excellent like having a san miguel bar, one of the luxe japanese restaurants in Manila called Umu (see my umu food tips) and is literally just across the street from the Ayala Center of Malls (Glorietta), Rustan's and SM Shoemart.

Unique Quality: they have average sized rooms but are very comfy. since the renovation, the rooms are now equipped with LCD tv's, internet connection, other amenities like large king or double beds and the usual mini bar and mini refrigerators. Again the rooms here are way smaller than the other hotels in makati like the Makati Shangrila or the Peninsula Manila but has a homey feel in it.

Directions: Ayala Center, Makati City, Manila, Luzon, 1223, Philippines

uysijessa's Profile Photo

the cheapest among the top makati hotels

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 25, 2010

wayne and i sometimes check in at makati hotels for various reasons. as i write this tip i am now checked in at the dusit thani primarily to watch the world cup and get some much needed rest. the dusit thani manila has greatly improved since its time as hotel nikko manila garden. however, there are still some kinks that need to be ironed out. rooms categories start with a deluxe room which would be the equivalent of a superior room at the manila pen or mandarin. however, compared to say mandarin's superior room, dusit's deluxe room is way better in terms of size and furnishings and much cheaper too! while a superior room in manila pen or mandarin or shangri-la will start at PhP7,000 you can avail of dusit's deluxe room for P6,000. not bad for a room that has an LCD TV, coffee and tea making facilities, in-room safe, complete bathroom amenities, etc etc.

of course as i've mentioned there are still some kinks the hotel has to iron out. for example, the drainage in our bathtub right now sucks. you'll have to stand in a pool of water while taking a shower as the drainage is unbearably slow. do take note though that it might just be with this particular bathroom (Rm 1011) as the bathroom of the room we previously stayed in did not have this problem. the t.v. while LCD and remote-controlled could have been bigger as it's place in the wall is too far from the bed. service during breakfast at the basix restaurant could also improve as they seem to forget the little (but important things) like a teaspon to mix your coffee, salt and pepper, milk and sugar.

overall i'd still recommend this hotel. it might not be the perfect hotel by any means but with a little more time and training and improvement by management it has the potential to be.

Unique Quality: the best thing about dusit is it's location. like shangri-la hotel, dusit is located at the heart of the makati business and commercial area. dusit is surrounded by malls and restaurants and these are all literally walking distance. heck, the first thing you'll see outside the hotel is SM shopping mall! as such, you'll always find something to do, somewhere to go to. and if you get tired of the commercial district ayala museum and the ayala triangle park is a short 10 minute walk. should you wish to venture farther out of the metro transportation is not a problem as the MRT (manila's version of a monorail/subway) is a stone's throw away. dusit is also located at the side of manila's major thoroughfare EDSA which is abound with buses and cabs and what have you. clearly its location is the hotel's most outstanding feature.

Directions: the hotel is across the makati park square mall and parking and also across SM shopping mall. it is located at the corner of EDSA and Pasay Road

farmbsc's Profile Photo

Great value

by written on April 19, 2008

We stayed twice during April 2008. Great value for $200/night. A nice change from life in the provinces. Not too impressed with the hotel's Thai restaurant. Great location. Great service. Clean nice room.

Best service in the world!

by written on January 31, 2008

I stayed at the Dusit Nikko Hotel in Manila over christmas in 2007 and the service was second to none. I have stayed at many five star hotels throughout the world including europe, asia, america and australia and the service was outstanding - every staff member remembered our names and greeted us by name each time we walked past. The hotel facilities are excellent - the DFit gym is better than a fitness first gym, the rooms were of a very high standard - we looked at many hotels in Manila and this one is the most reasonably priced hotel of all the 5 star hotels. The food was excellent - the BEST hotel food I have had anywhere ever, full buffet breakfast every morning and special banquets every night.

Unique Quality: The only thing I wished was different was the pool - it was quite ordinary and there was no spa/jacuzzi. There is a large area near the pool which could be used to make a jacuzzi, which may happen as they were doing renovations whilst we were there. The views were of Manila buildings, and the location of the hotel is excellent - right next to the SM department store, malls, and greenbelt eating and shopping district of Makati.

Directions: Next to the mall in Makati

Manilas worst hotels, Dusit Nikko and Hyatt hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 2, 2007

I wanted to stay there, I liked what i read on the internet, understood 5star is really 3 star in any other country.

They dont accept Pilipino Pesos, so support the Philippines and find one that does.
Multinational hotels are bleeding all the money from tourism out of the country.

Where Pinas gets poorer, Multinational countries rape the tourists dollars and take the money out of the country.

My money goes into Manila Hotel, for true 5 star service and it accepts Pilipino Peso.

Unique Quality: Arrogant and uneducated staff, so far up themselves, they make me feel like i am from a third world country.

Directions: avoid, its in Makati

Not what I expected for my $$$

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 17, 2007

I stayed here last September 2006 and was not impressed at all. I had to pay more because all the regular rooms were taken at the time of my booking, so instead I was booked for an executive room.

At first, I thought that the accomodations would have been better since it was the executive floor that had its own concierge lobby service and needed a special key to get into. But, boy was I surprised when I went into my room. The room was definitely old and shabby. The bed looked lumpy and the bathroom was definitely in need of a major renovation. The sink was cracked and the tub would drain slow. I'm glad that I only had to stay for one night.

The only upside about this hotel was its location. Its close to the Glorietta and Shoemart Dept. Store. But other than that, I will def. not stay here again!

Unique Quality: Good location to shopping malls. As soon as you step out of your hotel, the mall is right there.

Japanese Theme

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 23, 2006

Very clean and pleasant hotel and staff. Safety was important for their guests. All cars, buses ect were checked by security before entering the hotel enterance. Breakfast was fine,Eggs to order,bacon, toast, cereals,fruit tea and coffee ect. Some Japanese type dishes,what they were I can't tell you, too weak to try{for breakfast]I am afraid.

Housekeeping was very good.So to was the room service. Pool area looked clean and tidy. Doors were always opened for you on leaving the hotel with a greeting and a smile.
I am an Australian tourist, and I recomend this hotel & would stay here again. We booked via the net with latestay type company for a real good price.

Unique Quality: Just across the road from this hotel is about 3 shopping malls, a supermarket and countless places to eat. A short taxi ride from most markets.

Directions: CBD

shintarojon's Profile Photo

Hotel for Japanese Visitors

by written on June 3, 2006

(last date visited - June 3, 2006)

I didnt stay here but I visited my friend Ate Tintin who is working at UHI travel agency inside Dusit Hotel.

Unique Quality: convenient and nice place to stay-in
definitely expensive (dont know the rate per day)
usually Japanese business men opt to stay here

Directions: in front of SM Ayala along Edsa

vaughn.voyages's Profile Photo

Dusit Hotel Nikko

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 10, 2004

First of all, I've had a chance to stay for a night here because we organized a convention here..yes..WE..it's part of our course..convention and exhibit management..this convention, entitled "Metropolis at the Crest, A Night of Galore, A Night to Explore", was held at the Grand Ball Room. We had to stay overnight to prepare...and believe me..we haven't got a sleep!!! ..Anyway the convention is successful so..it's fun to see the fruits of your labor..

Unique Quality: I think it's like a Thai-themed hotel..

It's former name is Hotel Nikko Manila Garden..

Its located at the heart of Ayala Center (in the financial district of the country - Makati) so huge shopping malls and major business centers are just around!!!

Its near MRT Ayala Station

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Manila Travel Forum

Need advice about Manila, Philippines? Visit the Travel Forum for Manila and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Manila hotel reviews