Manila Hotel

Manila Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

"The Grand Dame of Manila (part 2)"

part two of my manila hotel tips will be a two part tip with more pictures around the hotel

the manila hotel is the oldest and most grand of the hotels in the Manila Area and is recently got a huge face lift and refurbished so that it has sort of a new look and other old time favorites were removed like the famous Cowrie Grill Steakhouse but they now sport a larger, more spacious Buffett in the Cafe Ilang Ilang where there are several international cooking stations. the Hotel is located just across the Luneta and the Quirino Grandstand and is just a stone's throw away from the Manila Ocean Park. The only drawback is that the area is far from the business and shopping areas of the Manila area that you need to ride jeepneys or taxicabs to go the other destinations.

Unique Quality: classical but comfortable rooms, wide and spacious views of manila Bay, they have two wings, the old wing with more old but elegant rooms and the new wing with more modern rooms. amenities include the standard free coffee, complimentary drinks and fruit basket, free high speed wifi. modern and spacious bathrooms and they give occitane bath products like shampoo and conditioners and herbal soaps.

Directions: One Rizal Park Roxas Boulevard, Roxas Boulevard, Manila, 0913, Philippines

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

The Grand Dame of Manila (part 1)

this manila hotel tips will be a two part tip with more pictures.

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

Fine Old Timer Hotel

Manila Hotel is not where we stayed while on our holiday, it is where my relatives stayed and had spend ten days with them at their suit room.The location of Manila hotel is right on the main boulevard; the hotel itself is few hectares with green shoreline. Without the Philippine traffic it’s about half an hour to an hour drive to the main International Airport. Staying at Manila Hotel is nearly a walking distance to one of the beautiful park within Asia it has it’s Chinese as well as Japanese gardens, a very topographical map of the country with sort of a dancing fountain in a man-made lagoon.

The Manila Hotel has a neighboring golf course, which is called Intramuros golf course; also it is known for the 18 hold golf course, which is also a walking distance.

Also there is a walled city of Manila. The very center of the church is and was about the 16th to or about the 19th centuries. People have put much investment on preserving and repairing the old buildings, which had been bumped during the American War as well as the Japanese War, there you will also find the museums and they had even placed restaurants. It is all worth a visit at all the nearby historic bldg.

Unique Quality: Of-course there is a large olympic swimming pool for guests and their guests as well. We used their massage service which was super relaxing as well. These hotel has all the comfort accommodation any 5 or 7 star can offer.

Directions: Intramuros, Manila

• Xdrive's Profile Photo

Manila Hotel, Old time glorfy, but not anymore

If you look for the old time glorify, it is the hotel you look for. It is near the Razel park, walking distance to there. It rate at 5 stars hotel, but I really do not think it is worth. Service is reasonable, but honestly, I could not see a smiling face while I stay there for 4 days. The room is big, the bathroom and tiolet is clean, but the furniture is old. I find ants in my tiolet. Breakfast is reasonable, but no newspaper to read. I ask twice to the waiters, but seems he forgot it...

Directions: One Rizal Park

Roxas Boulevard
    Manila
    Philippines 1099

• ajmacnab's Profile Photo

The Beatles at the Manila Hotel!

Find yourself with nothing to do in Manila? If you are a fan of the Beatles you might want to check out some of the sights in Manila associated with the Beatles' visit on July 4, 1966 including their stay at the Manila Hotel. Their visit to the Philippines was a significant event in their history...not necessarily in a good way!

Having just played a series of controversial concerts in the sacred Budokon in Tokyo, the Fab Four arrived in Manila as part of their World Tour in the summer of the 1966. If the 1960's wasn't already in turmoil enough....it was even worse in the Philippines under the strict control of the Marcos' gov't. What possessed Brian Epstein to book them into the Philippines at that time still is a wonder to this day! After landing at the airport, the four lads were wisked away and brought to the Manila Yacht Club and put on a private boat in the middle of Manila Bay. It was the 1st time they had ever been separated from their manager and the Beatles were quite shaken by this. The Yacht Club is still there and pretty much looks the same as it did in the 1960's. It is located on Roxas Blvd.

The Beatles stayed at the Manila Hotel just down the road from the Yacht Club. From the information I have obtained on the internet it is not 100% clear which rooms they stayed in. The Hotel itself has undergone major changes since then...with a major addition in 1976 of the "tower". The room numbers were changed in the old section of the hotel to accommodate the new addition. The Hotel itself has no records of room occupancy dating back that far but from what I understand they stayed on the 4th floor of the old section....possibly in adjoining suites 401-403-405 and 407. Paul McCartney did manage to sneak out of the hotel at one point and hopped in a taxi to tour the dowtown area.

The Beatles gave two concerts that day...one in the afternoon and one in the evening. According to the contracts signed, there were only supposed to be about 30,000 tickets sold for each event. The local promoters were greedy of course and managed to sell over 80,000 tickets for each show. The tickets sold for about $3 on average. The concert took part at the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium. It is still there and is pretty much unchanged from the way it looked in the 1960's. I asked the guards at the front entrance if I could go inside to look and they nicely obliged. The stage was set up in the far field with 80,000 onlookers in the field and in the football stands. Although the shows were terribly crowded and slightly unsafe, the two shows went off without any major problems. The football stadium is located in Pasay City right across the street from Harrison Shopping Plaza.

The next day the Beatles had a sceduled day off to relax before boarding their British Airways flight to London. They had planned to relax and stay in their hotel room. Without their prior knowledge, the President and First wife Mr. & Mrs. Marcos had gone ahead and planned a reception at the Presidential palace in honour of the Beatles. Apparently, their manager Brian Epstein was informed but politely declined the offer but the presidential office insisted. The Beatles were not even informed of the request so they obviously were not going to show up. The next morning, they woke up to a flurry of phone calls from the Press. They wanted to know why they had "snubbed" the first family! It was all over the tv news and in the newspapers. It was at this time that their manager made last minute arrangements to fly out of Manila. They packed up their stuff but they were not granted a police motorcade like they usually have arranged on these kinds of trip. They had to wait in the lobby of the Manila Hotel for a taxi! Now, the lobby has changed somewhat since then. The grand lobby as seen today was added in the mid-1970's along with the tower. The lobby in July of 1966 was the immediate part of the lobby as soon as you enter the hotel. It was just a long stretch of lobby back then that extended out to the right and to your left. It is still intact today and can be seen upon entering the hotel itself. The Beatles waited there and finally got a few taxis to take them and their entourage to the airport.

They never were paid for these shows. The authorities refused to let their plane leave the ground until they returned the money. This was a significant part of the Beatles history because it was after this incident that they decided to quit touring altogether! This was the final date of the Asian leg of the tour. The Beatles went on to North America from there and vowed to themselves to never tour again and to concentrate strictly on making studio albums. Their last concert live concert was one month later in San Francisco, California. None of the Beatles ever returned to the Philippines again.

• bustero's Profile Photo

Sad former self

Have stayed here a couple of nights and have booked friends here as well. The results were basically sad. There is a lot of charm as only a grand old hotel can have that can not be recreated with money, unfortunately this old lady hangs on with basically charm alone. The plumbing was eratic, the room old, the ac control was also not reliable. If you're looking for a hotel with a lot of old charm, then by all means. If you are looking for luxury, look elsewhere.

Unique Quality: Great views, great location for tourism but poor location for business as it will take you an hour to get to the main central business districts of Makati or Ortigas, Lots of charm and history but not much investment in the actual hotel for a while, maintenance is also spotty, lobby is one of the best in the Philippines. The hotel is also historical with a number of unique rooms such as the McArthur suite which was the home of Douglas McArthur for many years.

Directions: Right in the old area of Manila by the waterfront. In front of it is Luneta where the Jose Rizal the national here is buried. Also very near to most of the older tourist spots (heritage, cultural)

• Manila Hotel - A memorable experience

I stayed in Manila hotel the entirety of my stay in Manila during our June 2007 trip. This is my second stay in Manila Hotel. I stayed here during our previous visit in 2003 also. In each trip I stayed around 4 - 6 nights in the hotel broken up into 2 or more check ins. Manila Hotel is a slightly older facility than most other luxury hotels in Manila. I felt the hotel has been maintained pretty well. Their list price is around U.S$200. During all my stays, we were able to reserve at about half that price for a bay view room with breakfast.

During this trip we stayed in a Bay view room (once in 8th floor and other time in 14 th floor). The rooms are very spacious and well appointed. The toilet and bathrooms are just like what we are used to in the U.S. The beds are comfortable and the view really nice. They have hot water kettles, hair dryers and American plug points to add to the convenience.

I have stayed in luxury hotels & resorts all around the world and the service in Manila Hotel is one of the best all around service I have experienced. Every one you will encounter is well trained, knowledgeable in what they are doing, helpful and very efficient. It starts with the arrival and continues every day of your stay. I ate breakfast every day of my stay at ilang ilang restaurant and the service there was exceptional. I used the concierge service, business center, transportation services and every one of them was nothing short of exceptional. Manila hotel has it's own private taxi service operated by independent operators and the rates are fixed to different part of town. They are a little bit more expensive than the metered taxis, but are very very reliable. I used the taxi service quite extensively and actually called them back to pick me up also. They have a pretty big pool with a slightly outdated design with a walk up bar. The gym is really really outdated.

Overall an excellent place to stay.

Best Hotel in Manila!

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times over the past two years and have never ever had a bad experience. It is really a legendary hotel in itself. The rooms are very nice and the lobby spectacular. Everyone from Marlon Brando to Bob Hope to the Beatles has stayed there. In one famous chapter of the career of the Beatles, they were stranded in this very same lobby while their manager tried to squander a ride to the airport because their motorcade was cancelled after they snubbed the First Family (President Marcos and his wife) They apparently didn't show up at the Presidential Palace when invited. Marlon Brando had stayed in this hotel several times as has Bill Clinton and many Royal Family members. Last November I bumped into the infamous Imelda Marcos at the back of the hotel by the pool. She was there attending some evening dinner and function. It is a classic hotel and I would recommend anyone staying there! You can get a nice room facing Manila Bay for $92 (including all taxes and charges) on www.asiatravel.com.

Best Hotel in Manila!

I have stayed at the Manila Hotel 5 times in the past two years and it ranks among the best hotels I have ever stayed in. It is a blast from the past where the rich and famous stay. The Beatles stayed here in July of 1966 and found themselves stranded in the grand lobby while their Manager desperately tried to find a way to get them to the airport in one piece after having snubbed President Marcos and his wife. Presidents and Royalty stay here during their visits to the Philippines and of course this is where General MacArthur lived prior to the breakout of the Second World War. It still stands up to this day as a great hotel!

You might even meet someone famous there like I did in November of 2006. As I was leaving the hotel to go out one night I passed right by the former First Lady Imelda Marcos who was on her way into the hotel for a function. I ran back upstairs to get my camera from my hotel room and then returned to the lobby minutes later only to find her gone. I went out to the back of the hotel by the pool and found her walking down the stairs on her way to the dinner function. I approached her and told her I was from Canada and would like to have my picture taken with her. She gladly agreed. Of course, I didn't bring up the subject of how she and her husband stole millions of dollars from their own people. She might not have let me pose with her if I had brought that subject up! haha

I paid $75 for my rooms there the past two years with a great view of Manila Bay. I got these rates on www.asiatravel.com but I believe they have gone up to $92 the last time I checked. Still beats the prices on the Manila Hotel website of $200 for the same room!

• Manila's Great location

I just came back from my Manila trip. I stayed at the Manila hotel on March 28 to April 2. I would say that the moment you arrive at the hotel in the afternoon, there was no bell hop to help you with your luggages. I had to carry my own luggages to the lobby door until the security guard called a porter to help me. Not a good a good start.

The receptionist was A+ though. They tried their best to give me the best room with good views. They were well-manered. They offered to clean out the bar, so I will not be unecessary charged for drinks. I rather buy my own drinks from outside.

The room I got was superior, and was huge. There was a room for the bathroom, and a another room for the shower. The ligthing in the living room isn't that great. It is kinda depressing. The cable went on and off, and wasn't that clear on ocassions. The room was cleaned, and the sofa was well maintained. It looked new. The bathroom was filled with amenities like shampoo, conditioner, bath foam. They had a shaver and a toothbrush too. Good towels, and sheets.

The room staff were well courteous, and greeted me when they saw me. Everything I requested, they granted me.

The pool didn't have much staff. There was only one attendant, and he was lazy. I requested a towel, and he pretended he didn't understand me.

Unique Quality: The lobby is amazing. I took many pictures. There was good music in the lobby. The restaurants were outstanding. Great food, but expensive. I love the lunch buffet. Great chefs.

The pool side is amazing. You have a view of Manila bay, and the garden was well maintained. I will never forget the sight.

• nixca316's Profile Photo

The oldest luxury hotel in the land

There's so much history in this wonderful hotel. It was built in 1912 so you would think it is a raggedy, rugged or dilapidated place. It's not.

We've slept here several times and celebrated many parties (if you celebrate your party in one of the facilities, you get to stay for free or have a big, big discount).

I love the soft pillows, the ante rooms, the 24-hour room service...we get to have our very own Mr. Belvedere even just for a night.

During the Pope's visit to Manila, we stayed here and my friends even went up to our room/s to use our bathroom (some stayed to eat with us---heheheheh).
    ]

Unique Quality: It's so near many, many places...the Baywalk, Intramuros, Rizal Park, Quirino Grandstand, etcetera, etecetera.

INHOUSE DINING FACILITIES:

Cafe Ilang-ilang---whenever we hear the first mass at the Manila Cathedral, dad brings us here for the breakfast buffet

Champagne Room-If you want to dine in style, this is the place to go

Cowrie Grill- Seafood! =)

Lobby Lounge- listen to good piano music, wine and dine...

Pool Bar--Wanna celebrate parties big parties al fresco? This is THE place!

etcetera, etcetera =)

• ajmacnab's Profile Photo

Best Hotel in the city for your money!

I stayed at the Manila Hotel for four nights in November 2006. It was my third time in this hotel in a year. Its a great hotel and is one of the last great hotels in this part of the world. It is the hotel that houses Presidents and Royalty when they come to the Philippines. I even met Imelda Marcos out at the back of the pool the last time I was there (don't worry...it was in the evening and she wasn't in her swimsuit! haha). Asiatravel.com offers a deluxe room at this hotel for $75 USD a night including all taxes. You can't beat this deal as far as 5-star hotels go in Manila.

• Pimilan's Profile Photo

One of the nicest lobby in the world

I stay in the last building dating from 1976, i have a view on rizal park. Superb lobby, to come inside the lobby they check you like in the airport. My air condition doesn't make any noise ! Splendid restaurant. A landmark in Manila

Unique Quality: Wonderful lobby, nice garden, nice view from the room

Directions: Back side Rizal Park, on the bay

• kjyxw's Profile Photo

Manila hotel

Very good.Is like make a jump in the past.Good room service.I write good cos the food was perfect but not the service.1st time i asked to put the price of the dinner on the room but the waiter answer that was not possible so pretend from me money and he was without rest so taken 450p of rest for himself.Second time another waiter come in the room and prepared all the table and sayed that is naturallu possible to put the price on the rom.Gived him 1000p 4 extra.
    Perfect food well cooked and max quality.
    A lot of things to chose 4 breakfast but be smart dont go at the end cos you can find something finish! Never ask an hot choccolate or an italian coffe, what arrive is...i dont know!
    I stay only 3 days and was good but in the rooms (i changed 1cos i decided to stay more time) i feeled a strange smell.I was with my girl who is Filipina...local rate is a good thing!

Unique Quality: Great views from the windows but if u choose the bay view u will not see the city and if u see the city u cant see the bay.The pool is not so big but appair clean.I dont know if is usually or not but a lot of guards ouside the hotel stop every taxi or cars who arrive and in the hotel there is a metal detector.

More about Manila Hotel

Manila HotelManila Hotel

Running in front of Manila HotelRunning in front of Manila Hotel

Manila Hotel as shown in 2007Manila Hotel as shown in 2007

View of Intramuros from Manila HotelView of Intramuros from Manila Hotel

Poolside at the Manila Hotel

by three2four

Does anyone know if there is a good view of the famed Manila sunset from the pool of the Manila Hotel? Or is it covered by the garden?

Re: Poolside at the Manila Hotel

by noyps

you are better off at sofitel ( formerly philppine plaza hotel)... better rooms, better view, way better food.

am sorry, i know manila hotel is, or i should say, use to be, an icon.. but not anymore.

with regrets,

noyps

Re: Poolside at the Manila Hotel

by three2four

That doesn't really answer my question. I'm not looking to find out which hotel is the best place to stay.

Comments