Sofitel Philippine Plaza

Booking.com Orbitz.com Sofitel

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Cosmicomic's Profile Photo

Truly five-star

We stayed at Sofitel Philippine Plaza for a few days in July '11 when we went to Manila to watch Cirque du Soleil's traveling show, Varekai. What else is there to say? This is a five-star hotel with all the usual five-star trappings. (This was way before the typhoon hit, though; I imagine they're not so five-star at the moment.) My favorite part of the stay was eating at SPIRAL, their eat-all-you-can buffet. It's pricey, but worth trying at least once. Here's hoping they recover from the flood damage soon.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Now Known as Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Sofitel Philippine Plaza is a grand hotel which was formerly managed by the westin group of hotels but in 2007, management changed to the Sofitel group. It is the only "resort" hotel in the Metro Manila Area and is situated in the historic manila bay reclamation area and offers spectacular golden sunset views of Manila Bay. fully refurbished, the rooms are spanking new (see my pictures) and are large! the bathrooms are also large and a come on here is that it has many pavilion rooms for any occasions like conventions, meetings and air-conditioned tents also used for weddings and large parties. it has the best poolside in the manila area.

Another thing going for this hotel is the Spiral restaurant (buffets at 1,200 lunch and 1,699 dinner) which has multi-food stations that rivals the circles cafe and heat cafe of the shangrila group plus the good ole Siete Pecados Bar. You can also gamble here since there is a small casino branch of PAGCOR inside the complex.

Unique Quality: the large and grandiose rooms, the numerous function rooms for any activity, large air-conditioned tents and also it offers free shuttle bus to SM Mall of Asia, which is the 3rd largest Mall in Asia (about 3 kilometers away) that comes every 30 minutes. the rooms starts at $ 100 for standard and about $ 140 for twin.

Directions: CCP Complex Roxas Boulevard Pasay City 1300 MANILA, PHILIPPINES

• Cielo_Algaeed's Profile Photo

Hotel Philippine Plaza

Hotel Philippine Plaza is formerly known as Westin Philippine Plaza. It is only couple of months now that they changed the name coz its under new management. The whole Hotel is undergoing renovations and so some rooms are not ready for occupancy.

The one that we stayed the last time is a huge room with bar, living room and a room adjacent to it.

personally, i didnt enjoy my stay here. The room as big and clean but the linens looks and smell like it is centuries old. The carpet and the bamboo materials of the furnitures have their own contrasting smell. The lighting is definitely poor.

The lobby is grandous plus the staircase to their Spiral Resto...

The only draw back of staying here is the accessibility of getting a cab/taxi. The location is bit off from the main street.

• KookieDough's Profile Photo

A Resort Hotel in the City

Philippine Plaza is one of the long-standing hotels in Metro Manila. However, it was recently refurbished and it now has great rooms.

Another good thing about this hotel is that it does not fall short of entertainment and recreation. Aside from being near to a couple of malls, lots of bars and restaurants in the area, the hotel itself has a big pool, mini golf and slot machines, among other facilities.

Unique Quality: I love Philippine Plaza because of its beautiful swimming pool and nice poolside facilities. Apart from the big pool with slide, falls and bridges, there are hammocks by the poolside and overlooking Manila Bay. Really relaxing!

Directions: Right across the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) Complex

• simchie1's Profile Photo

Nice pool not 2 expensive if you wanna have exclus

This hotel got 609 rooms, pool that have underwater music that fascinates me.

for 68US$ isn't that expensive if you want to relax and jst enjoy in Manila.

I can recommend to those who love partying and shopping!!!

Unique Quality: HOTEL SERVICES

Child care facilities
    Concierge
    Currency exchange
    Facilities for the physically challenged
    Limousine service

Swimming pool
    Tennis court
    Tours organised

AND MANY MORE... than this cozy place can offer

Directions: located near compound of convention and trade centres and major performing arts facilities. The Ninoy Aquino International Airport is 20 mins away by car and sightseeing spots such as the Walled City are just 10 mins from the Westin Philippine Plaza.

More about Sofitel Philippine Plaza

French Influence and Renovations are making a big difference

by TripAdvisor Member DAL504

After reading the many reviews for hotels in Manila, I was a little leery about staying at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza. Their website wasn't fully disclosing photos of the specific property which was also not a great sign.

When we got there, however, we were pleasantly surprised. We got a room on the 7th floor (of 11) with a partial view of Manila Bay. The room was recently remodeled in a style similar to other Sofitels in the Asia-Pacific region - Dark woods, pillow-top beds, nice bathrooms. This renovation I think made a big difference. Although we didn't see a room on a non-renovated floor, seeing the carpet and the lighter colored wood in the common areas there gave us a hint of what it must be like and helps me understand the issues many of the other reviewers have had.

I must also say that the restaurant was quite good - they did buffet style for breakfast and dinner. The breakfasts were typical of fine hotels in that region with options for all types (western, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian) but with the added bonus of amazing French-inspired pastries. The dinner was similar and again, the desert wall was nearly impossible to walk past without diving in! The spa/workout facility was also quite comprehensive (though some of the cardio equipment could use an upgrade) and the common areas there and around the pool were beautiful.

Nice Hotel, Needs Work

by TripAdvisor Member wahcow

Went to the Philippine Plaza Hotel for 3 days in mid-dec 06. It was in the midst of a name change from the Westin to its present name. There was some renovations going on, but it was unobtrusive and generally kept out of sight. The Deluxe room was fantastic, with a great view of the ocean!

As it was in the midst of a name change, some of the amenities that is expected in a room like the Facility Brochures were missing. Thus, it was a hassle to find out what facilities were on offer in the hotel.

It was also very secluded and out of place. It was hard to get a taxi to go anywhere, and the hotel taxis were very expensive.

Breakfast was fantastic, as were the facilites on offer at the hotel. Generally, the staff were friendly and helpful.

Personally, will not be staying there again, as it's secluded and hard to get to other parts of town.

Pretty nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member Carogirl

We stayed 22.12.05-3.1.06 in this hotel( then it still was Westin Phillipine Plaza).
We visited many times in hotels website before making reservation.Website told about this luxury hotel, there was also many photos especially of big,beautiful rooms.We booked deluxe room.Well the room was dissapointed.Nothing like in photos and nothing deluxe. We went to reception and asked what is deluxe room here cause paid so much extra for that and the answer was that deluxe rooms are only in higher floors like 8 or 10.Seaside and balcony was nice!!!
Pool area was very beautiful and we spent there many nice moments(and also engaged in sunset time).Pool bar was okay but expensive. The restaurants were't anything excellent beside breakfast buffet which was so great.
Hotel offered New years eve party in the garden and about that must say that it was very nice and something to experience. Local shows there was also enjoyable.
We loved the location, cause didn't want to stay in central but not too far. It was easy to walk beach boulevard,restaurants or take local taxi. Hotel also offered taxis but the price was horrible. Philippine plaza is nice hotel to stay, but it cant't offer all what it promises.We would go to some other hotel next time. With the same price you can get much more.

not worth as a five star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member fredann

We stayed in this hotel end of janaury as my husband insist because we always stayed philippine westin plaza before we did enjoy alot the services and other facilities im hesitant to go back again due to the reviews we read prior our trip,westin bed is wonderful . but we are both disapointed when we went to our room, deluxe room,,, the room is like 3 star room and i gues some three star hotel are far better , the linens are unlcean.... for king size big only two small pillows as my husband described its a dirtiest room of all the five star rate hotel we had stayed before....I phoned my agent and told her the story and she phoned the receptionist and they told housekeeping is coming to cleaning,, no one comes, why they are going to room to the guest which is need to be clean,, we had a miserable day and night, we are not happy at all.. breakfast is on queue that day we were there , there was conference... so made a quick decision i phone other hotel and book the next day we transfer and we will never go back there again in our next trip to manila....

Back to the Past

by TripAdvisor Member LAK888

I am very disappointed with this hotel even if my family just stayed for overnight. We checked in late, around past 2pm and there was long queue with lots of people checking in and out at the same time. We waited in line for at least half an hour to get accomodated. I requested for 2 rooms with connecting door which I specifically requested during my reservation time and I specified when I checked-in again. They gave me room that is beside each other but with no connecting door. The room looked old and pillows were small. The furniture and bathroom were also old, much like those that still existed during the 70s. And the shower handles were hard to turn, I had to ask housekeeping to help me. Food at Spiral was good since it was buffet. We had breakfast and dinner. However, there were too many people all over the place. Also, I noticed that the drinking glass used for breakfast juice was not properly cleaned. I called the attention of the waiter and they immediately changed the glasses. The view of the pool area was great. And finally, in the lobby entrance. My husband had an incident wherein the valet attendant purposely cut him off while he was about to park our car in front of the lobby. They didn't even apologize even if my husband cited his wrong behavior. This was in full view of the hotel guards and attendants. They just laughed it off. Personally, I wouldn't be going back to this hotel again. I wouldn't recommend it to other friends as well.

Hotels looking at Manila Bay

by alybangbang

Can someone recommend a nice hotel that looks over Manila Bay? Thanks.

by asianbelle

Depends on your definition of nice, here are the hotels along the Bay area:

G Hotel by Waterfront - boutique hotel
Traders Hotel - 4 star
Bayview Park - 4 star
Manila Diamond - 5 star
Grand Boulevard - 5 star
Aloha Hotel - 3 star
Boulevard Mansion - 3 star
Hotel Miramar - 3 star

Although not along the bay, I think (but you can verify) some rooms at Hyatt Casino and Pan Pacific have views of the bay.

by stamporama

One hotel with an uncluttered view of the bay is Hotel Sofitel Philippine Plaza. The only problem with it is it's a bit far (about 1.5 km) from the city's streets and stores...though isolation can also be viewed as a plus (less noise).

by sibbick1

I see Aloha has already been mentioned.

I am happy staying there. You can see a video of it here:

Regards: Jim Sibbick