Eastridge Avenue, Rizal, Manila, 1940, Philippines
Asiatravel.com Agoda.com Expedia.com

More about Manila

pastapasta

welcomewelcome

My great uncles gravestone after the sand.My great uncles gravestone after the sand.

ambianceambiance

passport question

by bamboo_gypsy

Hello. Please forgive my fairly obvious question. My passport has space for 11 passport stamps... but not 1 completely blank page. i know the 59 day visa does require a full page.. but I will just be getting a 21 day visa (arrival and departure). Is it okay? Thanks!

by melek02

Actually it is not a visa for 21 days, but entry without visa, it is 2 small stamps so don't worry it should be ok.

by pgthompson

No problem, the stamp is a small one.

by sibbick1

Hello Leo,

Sounds like you have room for an extension stamp too.

The main criterie is six months validity. How long before your passport expires?

Regards: Jim

by SirHalberd

Some countries will add more pages to their passports.

The US passport, if sufficient time remains before it expires, can be modified by embassy or passport office. They sew in extra pages and seal the new pages in securely. I have had it done overseas a couple times. Depends on your country and if you have enough time left to have it done. Check with your passport officials. Easier to get it done in one day overseas while you wait. But you have to check first!

Like the other posts mention, for 21 days a small stamp in and a small stamp out. But check the expiration date! I always try to keep a few full pages available for the big visa stamps in case something comes up.

Good luck.

Travel Tips for Manila

I guess Manila/Quezon City is...

by rdinsmore

I guess Manila/Quezon City is a place where every corner you turn to now, is a mall. I will even dare and call it the 'city of malls'.
As far as food is concerned, I would probably try the eateries in the malls then venture out eventually. I think even though 1/3 of my life was spent in this city, after half a decade of being away, I will need someone to guide me and take me around. It seems the city is much more crowded both with people and cars than 10 years ago. Anyone who has not been in the city for a while will surely get lost, confused and frustrated. Gone are the spacious areas and old landmarks along EDSA. I have been away from the Philippines for almost 12 years now. But I really miss the turo-turo places in Chinatown. I did not get a chance to visit it last time I was there and for all I know it may not exist anymore.
UP Diliman is also very close to my heart. I would suggest for anyone visiting for the first time to give this place a peek. I guess since the city has been turned into a concrete urban jungle, UP Diliman seemed untouched. There are still trees and lots of greeneries in the campus.

Manila Tip

by Wenasje

Not exactly my fondest memory, but more an account of what I felt when I just arrived in Manila.
When I arrived at the airport I took a cab to the pension where I had booked my first night's stay. I was quite unprepared for my 4 month stay in Manila. I had only booked for one night since I figured I would probably find a place to live soon enough. (Eventually I did). Anyway, as soon as I dropped my bags in my room I went outside to take walk and get to know the area. I was staying in the 'Malate' area, a busy touristy and commercial area.

My first impression of Manila was one of confusion. I just got back from a 5 month stay in the US before I went on to Manila. Upon seeing all the tall buildings, huge shopping malls, fastfood chains everywhere, English written newspapers and hearing the US-style radio DJ's, I thought I had mistakenly took the plane to the other end of the US instead of Asia.

Though the Philippines were under Spanish rule for almost 400 years, there are not many remains that can show this. I gues the Americans did a pretty good job at 'Americanizing' everything when they followed up on the Spanish and stayed in the Philippines for about 50 years. Amazing what can happen in only 50 years compared to the 400 years before that...

TAGALOG WORDS

by littlegirl0130

It would be good that you learn some Tagalog words that can be of use during your trip...

Salamat - Thank you
Kamusta? - How are you?
Walang Anuman - Welcome
Masarap - delicious
Pahinge ng ____ - Can I have ____
Dito - Here
Saan na Tayo? - Where are we?
Pupunta tayo sa _____ - We will go to _____

*** will add some more soon....

Cellphones

by syllybabe

Cellphones are big in the Philippines...and I mean BIG. Welcome to the 'txting' (sms) capital of the world. People who text are sometimes oblivious to others around them to the point of being rude but please don't get offended...just politely ask them to stop if it bothers you.

matches,candles or a torch

by happy-travels

matches,candles or a torch for the black outs/brown outs. flip -flops buy them there, shoes for the markets. pac-a-mac for the rains. tampax - they are difficult to find polariser filter The ever versatile sarong for everything! - buy in Phil. String for hanging clothes.

Comments