3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotels.com Asiatravel.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

the former Davao Insular Hotel

this was formerly the number 1 hotel in Davao City in the 1960's but got a bit run down and was renovated and changed in Managment and now is a rival to the Marco Polo Hotel in accomodations. The Place was formerly called Davao Insular Hotel and is now renamed Waterfront Insular Hotel Davao due to new management. The hotel is located in a sprawling area with beach facilities and ferries to Samal Island which is across the bay at a 15 minute ferry ride from the hotel. The hotel is now famous for conventions and meetings and is very near the Casino Filipino in Davao City and the Lanang Golf course. The rooms here are not as spacious as the Marco Polo Hotel but has ocean side views and inside the complex are assorted bars and dining areas. The only drawback here is that they are not near public transportations like jeepneys or multi cabs but there are many taxis that wait in the front of the hotel ready to pick you up and go to whatever destinations you want.

Unique Quality: they have wide rooms here and sweeping views of the Davao Gulf and Samal Island.

Standard facilities:Air-ConditioningSatellite TVTelephoneMinibarTea & Coffee Making FacilitiesHairdryerRoom SafeRoom ServiceSitting Area.

Standard Room: Standard Rooms have garden views and are fitted with 2 single beds only. Bathrooms have a shower only.

Deluxe Room: Deluxe Rooms have garden view verandas, and are decorated to a higher level than Standard Rooms. They are fitted with 2 single beds only. Bathrooms have a bathtub with an overhead shower.

Prices start at 4,500 pesos per standard room a night if a local or a balikbayan and 7,000 pesos if a foreigner.

Directions: J.P. Laurel Avenue, Davao City

• Waterfrpmt Insular Hotel Davao

Yes but with caution about customer service.

My wife and I checked in at the Hotel on at about 12Noon, Sat. Aug. 18 together with our daughter and her friend.

Immediately, a room was available for our daughter and her friend. However, our room according to the Front Desk will still be available by 2pm. We had lunch at the coffee shop and about 3PM we inquired from the front desk, there was no room yet. Again at 430pm, i personally inquired again but to no avail.

My wife and i just stayed in the room of our daughter and when no call was received from the front desk, i went to the front desk personally and demanded for our room. That was 645PM already. Finally at 7pm we had our room.

On the way to the room, i passed by the Exec. Office and met with the duty manager. Sad to say, she never bothered to check/verify on our complaints and until we checked out on Aug. 20, nothing was heard from the hotel. The manager seemed to lack basic knowledge of customer service and down the line. Very poor customer service.

Two weeks before, i was at Apo View, and i must say, they practice good customer service. And so with Marco Polo and Mandaya hotels.

• eversure's Profile Photo

not the same insular i used to know

The area is nice but the room has seen better days. I saw a cockroach scurrying about near the mini-bar. And the paint in the moldings were chipping off. The only plus thing I could say is the beach. If you are looking to relax away from the maddening crowd, consider Insular. We paid 3000 a night for an ordinary double room 3 years ago. I've never been back. My hotel of choice now is Marco Polo.

• Iluv2surf2's Profile Photo

Davao Insular Waterfront Hotel

Davao Insular Waterfront Hotel
    This hotel is very affordable and would compare to accommodations in USA costing $200+ per night for only $54.

Each time I have stayed there I become more convinced it has the best accommodations, or at least is in the top 2, maybe 3 best in Davao. I haven't stayed at the Apo View or Marco Polo, which I understand are great. I'm probably to cheap to stay there, so it's not ikely I'll have a firsthand view, but you never know!

Unique Quality: This is one of the finest hotels I have stayed ANYWHERE. The accommodations are first class and the staff is very professional, friendly and accommodating.

"Located by the beach overlooking Davao Gulf and Samal Island, Waterfront Insular Hotel Davao awaits your discovery! Its one hundred sixty-room facility sparkles like a gem in the heart of the unspoiled island of Mindanao. Enjoy a dip on the hotel's swimming pool surrounded by lush gardens and a view of the beach. For health buffs, there is a jogging path in and around the gardens of the hotel as well as a basketball court, tennis court, pitch n' putt greens. One can also enjoy a stroll along beach right in front of the hotel."

I don't remember writing the above paragraph. It sounds like a promp piece and a bit flowery for my my style. But it is a great hotel.

Directions: Located in Davao City near the airport. Lanang, 8000 Davao City, Philippines

More about Waterfront Insular Hotel Davao

Waterfront Insular Hotel davao

by Brycekenshin

A great place to stay, with great accomodating staff and very flexible too. great food and a great view. I think one thing unique or kinda weird or absurd is that there's a sign at the beach that says "No Swimming"? kinda makes me wonder. the beach looks great the water is clear yet there's this pretty out of place sign... :)

Disappointied hotel experience

by shi612 about Waterfront Insular Hotel Davao

I stayed in the room 203. It was ranked Superior in their definition, but I can not believe there are even more poorly serviced rooms in this famous hotel. No bathtub in the bathroom; no hair drier. Wallpaper was worn. Furnitures were too old and dull. When it rained, the noise of raindrop hitting the roof of outside corridor was so large and disturbing. The exchange rate from yen to peso was worse than other hotels in Davao. The airport transfer is not complementary but costed 100 peso per person. T'Boli weaving center is in the garden. It is a small bower where a T'Boli woman shows you weaving.

Davao's oldest premier hotel

by stamporama about Waterfront Insular Hotel

Despite changes in name and ownership over the years, the Insular hotel has remained to be one of the choice locations when in Davao. The hotel is located outside the city proper, about 15 mins. from the airport, and right beside the Davao gulf from where you can see Samal Island in the distance. Rooms are located in 3 2-story wings and while they have been regularly refurbished, one can't help but notice the 1960's style of design. The breakfast is OK, the pool is big and warm, and the grassy grounds have a lot of coconut trees that provide shade.

While the place is generally good, there was only one experience when I got VERY disappointed. When we had lunch at the Cafe Uno resto, we had to wait for our orders for ONE HOUR!!! The waiter did say that the cooking time would take 30 mins., but one hour was for me a record of sorts. Good thing we weren't that hungry when we came but I'm sure many others would not have been as patient. So except for the buffet breakfast, DON'T eat lunch or dinner there. The hotel might have a beach but unfortunately the water is not so clean so nobody actually swims in it. Their grounds have a big tent where wedding receptions and other functions can be held.

Thanks for your great Advice

by jlconaco

I have decided that I will do the inland trip such ask going to the crocodile farm,phil eagle and etc. So I have another question for this though I want to know which is the best way to go about visiting the tourist places with the little time I've got on my hand. Should I visit the farthest first and do the last one that is closest to the terminal. So maybe if you can help me with this as well please.

Re: Thanks for your great Advice

by sanggano

If you can leave early, best to go to the farthest first (philippine eagle) and work your way back to the city. That way traffic will be lighter and you can reach the center at opening time. Check out: www.philippineeagle.org/index?pageval=thepecenter

Do a 20-30 minute stop at the Davao Ethnographic Museum at Insular Village, Lanang (beside the Waterfront Insular Hotel).

As for food, Davao is known for its grilled tuna and local sashimi (called kinilaw). If you care for Chinese food, AhFat - behind the Victoria Mall - is a good bet (I love their spicy garlic crabs). Oh, and try the durian coffee at Blugre coffee shop. Enjoy!

Comments