Talisay Hotels

• ivo_24 profile photo ivo_24
  • Reviews: 3

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Club Lake Talisay: Amazing hospitality at a great price

I stayed in Talisay for two nights when I was backpacking around the Philippines in February 2010. I arrived in town with no idea where to go (nothing in the lonely planet), managed to flag down a tricycle motorbike taxi who said he knew of a few guesthouses in the area. I had been to a couple before flagging the taxi, but it seemed that there was nowhere that was less than 800 peso a night, and these rooms had much to be desired.

I was taken to a guesthouse, very close to the centre of town, but on the shores on the lake (and very private). They had two types of accommodation, basic cheaper rooms (700 peso per night I think) with coconut woven walls, and shared bathroom, in the guesthouse, as well as more upmarket air conditioned units in a separate building. The hotel had a swimming pool, a bar and some great areas for relaxing. BUt the best part of the accommodation was the hospitality. Gil the owner, a Californian philippino, was very helpful and friendly. Jojo, the owners nephew, was the manager of the resort and was brilliant. I was travelling alone, so was invited out on the lake with the owner on his yacht, for a few beers and a swim. I made some good friends with some of the local Philippino guests and couldn't recommend a better place to stay.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Beaches, Water Sports, Budget Travel
  • Written June 12, 2010

• victorwkf profile photo victorwkf
  • Reviews: 4529

Accomodation at Talisay

Some locals at Talisay have transformed some rooms of their houses into budget accomodation for tourists. These houses are located along the waterfront area of the town and they also offer trip to the Taal Volcano island. I did not stay here but was being shown some of the rooms in one of the houses. They are clean and good, and the owners can cook your meals for you at a small fee. The price of the room ranges between 1500 to 2500 Pesos. Some houses like the one shown in the photos even have their own small swimming pool next to the Taal Lake.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written July 30, 2006

• AlbuqRay profile photo AlbuqRay
  • Reviews: 1795

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Amparo Resort: Nice Place on Taal Lake

When Gloria de Castro's only air conditioned room turned out to be rented, she recommended the Villa Amparo Resort. It is just down the road east from her place. An air conditioned room with a hot shower is 1500 pesos. A room with a fan is only 400 pesos. Villa Amparo is very clean and the people are friendly. We enjoyed our stay. See also my travelogue on the Villa Amparo Resort.

There is a big covered patio overlooking the lake with a great view of the Taal island and one of the volcanic cones. The inner volcano is actually part of the island.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Fishing, Sailing and Boating, Road Trip
  • Written June 5, 2004

Covered Patio Overlooking the Lake

• AlbuqRay profile photo AlbuqRay
  • Reviews: 1795

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Buco Resort: Hidden Bargin

We had driven by this resort on the way to Gloria de Castro's. I had seen it in an on-line list of resorts in Talisay but there was no information about it. It did not look like much from the road, so we passed without stopping. As we were leaving the next day, we stopped at the volcano museum. The Buco Resort was next door so we decided to check it out. It turned out to be much more than we expected. The grounds include four swimming pools, videoke room, basketball court, artificial island, and picnic shelter. There is even a monkey in a cage. Kids would love it here. The owner is Mrs. Leticia Arayata (043-773-0306). There was lots of construction going on; I think they were building new rooms, which they definitely need. Some of their rooms are showing their age. I'll do a travelogue with some pictures of the facilities.

The artificial island looks great. It extends out into the lake, has a great view of the Taal volcano, and can be used for picnics and fishing.

• Opinion of Price: about average