Cebu City Hotels

Our Members Say

• fcampos86 profile photo fcampos86
  • Reviews: 5

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SDR Apartments: Great place to stay!

I stayed at the SDR Apartments, they're located in Mactan and extremely nice. We paid $50 US a night, but very very nice apartment. There's a small kitchen, and a living room/bedroom. It's walking distance from a small mall and lots of restaurants. Would definitely recommend to anyone. They also have internet downstairs for a small fee and shaky wifi in the rooms.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written April 27, 2008

• metalmartin profile photo metalmartin
  • Reviews: 25

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Honeybee Inn Hotel: Closed down for unknown reason (march 2012)

Had the furtune to stay here a few days in october 2007 and found it very nice, had a long look around at the hotels and this was the best and actually had a window :) not a great view but it added light into the room. The cheap price (by Cebu standard) with a very clean room in this newly established hotel

will use this as we will return to Cebu many many times

no no no
but impecible service and a good location with jeepneys taking u everywhere u need to go when u figured th numbers out, close to tourist spots and bars, lots of internet cafe everywhere.....

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written December 17, 2007

The reception

• pete75 profile photo pete75
  • Reviews: 3

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hilton Cebu Resort & Spa: Is this really a Hilton?

The price one pays, definitely has an impact on expectations...

I paid the equivalent of USD185 per night for a room with a view of another building. Two single beds - as they run out of the queen size ones - barely big enough for my 6ft frame to rest upon. We were not off to a good start.

The rooms are tiny. I asked and was told they were approx. 28 sqm. Well, errr, not so sure about the size but it seemed half the size of my tiny Hong Kong apartment; which is 40 sqm. Anyway, once I got over the bed situation, the poor view and the size of the room; it was time to explore the resort.

I ventured down to the swimming pool, which was overloaded with people. The resort's beach (man-made) was about 40 metres long. The entire resort footprint was only 3 hectares... compared to the Shangri-La (next door) 16 hectares.

On the positive side, the breakfast spread was amazing. Fantastic service, awesome food. And the gym was also brilliant. All modern equipment (like a year old), very spacious and good assistants milling around ready to help and assist.

All in all, I would not return unless they reduced their rates to under USD100 per night. It is not worth the money they charge and for what you get you'll be very dissapointed.

• Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written October 30, 2007

• pete75 profile photo pete75
  • Reviews: 3

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SDR Mactan Serviced Apartments: Value for money sleeps - SDR Serviced Apartments

Firstly to say that I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. I stayed at SDR Serviced Apartments Cebu, based on what I had read in reviews etc. on the web. The cost was USD899 for the month (inc. GST). This price included a free airport pick-up, free internet, the apartment was a hefty 400 sqf, had a kitchen (with microwave, toasters, gas stove etc), DVD player, Sat. TV, etc.

My expectations was not high prior to arrival. I was paying only USD29 per night... Upon arrival at the establishment, I was welcomed by a friendly SDR team. I was quickly shown to my apartment. WOW! Was I shocked! Clean, modern and comfy. The icing on the cake was the genuinely friendly staff.

The location is excellent. Perfect for tourists. Only 3 minutes from the airport and minutes by foot to Malls, restaurants, banks, supermarkets etc. This is truly a place for those that want to live cheap but still have change in their pocket to splurge. And by living cheap, you are truly not doing it hard. This place is of equal standard to any 4 star hotel that I have stayed in. The kitchen is a bonus.

I was told that the rooms are less than 3 years old. The only downside was that the internet went down for a few hours during one of the days on our stay. Clearly not the end of the world and for God sake; it was free afterall.

I would highly recommend this place.

SDR has a small pool, nice lobby area and a good business centre with internet access, computers, printers etc. We paid US1 per hour to use a slick new PC.

• Related to: Water Sports, Budget Travel
  • Written October 30, 2007

kitchen in the apartment

• Yla profile photo Yla
  • Reviews: 193

Costabella Resort: Garden resort by the beach

Costabella is a garden resort with beachfront. Gardens and resort property is very well-maintained, the pool clean and the staff seemed very efficient, but may need to smile more and act more concerned. Lost my beloved camera at the Taoist Temple and reported at frontdesk in case it may be returned by someone. All i got was an 'ok po'. Specially loved the buffet breakfast.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Adventure Travel
  • Written October 12, 2007

twin room

• englishlalaki profile photo englishlalaki
  • Reviews: 6

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cebu patria: really cheap stay

a very cheap option in clean rooms. It was only 300peso a day when i was there for Xmas 2006. that was a room with shared shower/toilet though it had 2 beds. Also there are no towels so take your own. It's basic, but if you want cheap and don't mind living without all mod cons its a great place to stay. Theres no TV also and any noise is not allowed. It is run by nuns and theres a few house rules you need to read. Basically no noisey behaviour.
I also stayed in the Century hotel which was 600 a night and a bit more comfort with Tv etc. The best hotel i stayed in was the Ellicon, that was 900 pesos for a really nice room with 2 beds and hot water shower and nice TV. If you just need a bed to sleep though, i'd recommend the Patria, it's very near santa nino church and magellans cross and close to the pier. you can walk from the pier in about 7 or 8 minutes.

basically it's peaceful, simple and very very cheap.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Religious Travel, Study Abroad
  • Written October 11, 2007

• Brycekenshin profile photo Brycekenshin
  • Reviews: 5

Waterfront Lahug Hotel

The service was great, the food was good and the place was really accomodating and flexible to last minute changes because we we're actually there for work. Basically it was very satisfactory.

I really didn't have enough time to describe accurately but they were quite nice and really accomodating. the staff was friendly, corteous and very good but don't take it from me cause you may have experienced a different treatment or whatever... :)

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 3, 2007

A shot of the hotel...

• jamiesamui profile photo jamiesamui
  • Reviews: 76

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Second Home: My home in Cebu City

Second Home has 8 Apartell style rooms on 2 levels (4 on each).
Those of you who have read my pages before might recall I gave Second Home a pretty good review from my previous visits.

How 3 years changes.I hadn't planned to stay here on this trip due to the fact we now have a 1yr old and didn't think Second home suited an infant(i got that right)but our planned accom fell through at the last moment so my wife rang Second Home spoke to the owners in Visayan explained everything we needed emphasising the needs of our baby and we were assured that everything would be ok and the room would suit a baby.

They told us renovations had been done(if there had been it certainly wasn't the room we were given)The air con worked but was flat out or nothing.The fridge was in one word disgusting.The water in the shower was at best warm,there was no shower curtain or soap or toilet paper.The floor was dirty and the small kitchenette well you`d struggle with your conscience cooking your dog food in there.

We lasted 1 hour there payed for a night and left and went and found other accommmodation.

This place has slipped so far I couldn`t possibly recommend it to anybody.

This place is just so badly in need of renovations plus a good clean.I wasn`t angry with the state of the room just really disappointed that they hadn`t even made any effeort to have the room in a habitable state.

• Written June 20, 2007

Second Home

• eljae profile photo eljae
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

De Luxe: Bad experience at Eddie's Hotel in Cebu

We always stay at Eddie's Hotel whenever we're in Cebu. But after the last experienced I had with them, I don't think I will ever set foot in that hotel again. I lost money in my "safe box" at the hotel's lobby. Eddie's hotel does not have a safe box inside the hotelroom. What they have is this wooden box at the frontdesk, which they claim only have one key (which is given to the hotelguest, ofcourse). To make the story short, someone was able to have an access to my safebox and help her/himself with the cash. I should be thankful that he/she did not take everything, just P5,000 pesos, maybe hoping I will not notice it. I wrote the general manager to complain. No reaction. After several phone calls (all I got on the phone was the frontdesk staff), nothing came out of it. I would advise others to stay clear of this hotel, there are better hotels in Cebu wherein you will find better service for the same amount.

• Written April 19, 2007

• galatea234 profile photo galatea234
  • Reviews: 29

Villa Inez: Homey Feel

Villa Inez located in Andres Abellana St. Guadalupe, Cebu City. Room rates range from Php500-700. Spacious rooms, clean bathrooms and that homey feel of wood floorings and walls. Common living area just outside the room with cable channeled TV where we spent the 2 hours waiting for our rooms to be cleaned, since the guests prior to us just left.

own bathroom//2 single beds//clean bed sheets//spacious room//common living area

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 10, 2007

Honeymooners and Scuba Divers' Favorite: Alegre Beach Resort

If you want a real get-away, go to Alegre Beach Resort. It’s an hour and a half drive from Cebu City, 80 kilometers North, close to the farming and fishing town of Sogod.

The five-star resort is perched atop a white sand beach that sets off an emerald sea. It feels rustic compared to the Shang. The thatched roofed Spanish styled cabanas are set in lush tropical grounds overlooking either private gardens or endless ocean. Guests stroll through coconut groves, hibiscus and bougainvillea clusters to get around.

And they have the most magnificent bath fit for a queen. The tub sits high, on a marble platform at the hindmost part of the cabana, softly lit, with a centerpiece arrangement of palm leaves and flowers in a glazed Oriental jar. The effect is Zen-like and yet grand.

Yet it will cost you. A Deluxe Room goes for over US$270 per day; a Super Deluxe Oceanview with garden, $355; while an Oceanview Suite with garden costs $545 per day. They have peak season surcharges of over $40 for Holy Week, Japanese Golden Week, Japanese Obon, Christmas, New Year and Chinese New Year.

The service is good and unobtrusive, with a more personal touch. Before retiring, you will find calachuchi flowers and chocolate kisses thoughtfully laid out on your night table.

However, the gastronomic experience at Alegre is not as exciting, although their creamy Carbonara and Alegre Bouillabaise - fresh seafood soup, are worth trying. You can dine al fresco on the terrace of The Pavilion Restaurant or inside the airconditioned hall. Dinner buffet goes for P650 per person. A la carte orders cost P300 to P550 per person. Mango juice and strawberry milk shake goes for about P50; orange juice, for P160.

Anyway, I came here for the sea. The resort has three private beach coves of sugary white sand and you can do shore entry for fun dives.

If you like to do a sea wall, there’s an expansive drop-off a hundred and fifty feet deep just in front of the resort, a few minutes boat ride away. I had the first dive of my life on this wall and became addicted to diving ever since.

I have followed the 2,400 feet long lip of this abyss, taking in the spectacular sight of ledges decked with soft and hard corals, barrel sponges and giant clams.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling, Luxury Travel

colonial type accommodations: PLANTATION BAY HOTEL

If you want to feel like a “haciendero” in your own estate – at least for the length of your respite, try Plantation Bay Resort and Spa at the far southeastern corner of Mactan, half an hour away from Cebu City.

This colonial-looking village sprawls over eight hectares of secluded grounds. Developers scooped out a 3.5 hectare sand-lined bathtub over barren rocks and turned it to a vast concrete saltwater swimming lagoon, with built-in jacuzzis, waterfalls, water-slides, dive-rocks, and hydro-massage pools.

On the fringes, they created white sand beaches from powdered mountain stone, built villas around the water’s edge, strung hammocks between palm trees and carved out meandering jogging trails.

The hotel also offers a wide range of sports – from diving and snorkeling, jetskiing, para-sailing, motorboating, sailing, water-skiing and fishing to pistol-shooting, golf, tennis, billiards, and tabletop sports.

Plantation Bay charges about USD$145-$220 per night for their Waterview rooms, depending on the season; USD$185-$260 per night for Water's Edge rooms described as just "0-2 seconds from the water", and USD$190-$250 per night for Verandah Suites "5-10 seconds from the water".

Their huge bedrooms are reminiscent of old Vigan houses, paneled with dark-colored wood salvaged from ancient residences and churches and trimmed with coconut timber. The ceilings are plywood skillfully hand-stained to simulate mahogany.

My room was 46 square meters, with two queen-sized beds swathed in white sheets, antique wood furnishings, remote-control TV, mini-bar, electronic safe, and split-package air-conditioning. The bath was spacious, with black stone and marble finishes, separate shower and deep tub, hair-dryer, and extension phone. My verandah was just a few steps from the edge of the lagoon and I enjoyed swimming in the miniature sea in front of my room.

While the water is fun, the food choices are limited and the prices, outrageous. Famished after swimming, my friends and I trooped to the Kilimanjaro Kafe. I guess we were too hungry to mind the prices, until later. Caesar salad with grilled chicken was P590 per plate, good for one person; chicken pita was P250 and mango shake, P180. And if dinner was expensive, breakfast was obscene, at P825 per person, to think that we only ate bread, eggs, yoghurt and potatoes.

Still, Plantation Bay offers a convenient take-off point for the underwater action. The resort faces the Hilutungan Channel, which is 900 feet deep with a steady current, an ideal place for scuba diving.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Diving and Snorkeling, Water Sports

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mactan Shang, Plantation Bay, Alegre Beach Resort: MY FAVORITE 5-STAR HOTELS IN CEBU

I only favor three hotels when vacationing in Cebu, although not one of them is cheap or near the urban center. Two are in Mactan - Shangri-la and Plantation Bay, and the third is Alegre Beach Resort, near Sogod.

Nature lovers who want a true respite from the world should try Alegre or Plantation Bay but if they prefer more modern facilities, Shangri-la will be ideal.

Shangri-La's Mactan Island Resort & Spa, which is around 45 minutes from Cebu City, will set you back by around USD$220 per night for a Superior Gardenview room and USD$250 per night for a Bayview room. But it will be worth it.

The rooms are bright and airy, with a tropical Filipino touch, like woven sea-grass headboards, and amenities, from flat irons to International Direct Dialing (IDD) telephones, tea and coffee makers, electronic safe and satellite TV.

The hotel has putting greens and tennis courts on its 13 hectare expanse, plus a private white-sand cove. It offers varied water sports – snorkeling and diving in the house reef, jet-skiing, fishing, windsurfing, parasailing or viewing corals in a glass-bottomed boat.

Shangri-La’s marine sanctuary lies directly in front of its private 350-metre beach cove. Some 54 feet below the gradual slopes, coral heads sprout from the sandy bottom, sheltering frog fish, bat fish and reef dwellers of all colors and sizes.

I had a sumptuous Japanese dinner at Tides, which charges P1,200 per head. But at least, I can say that when it comes to food, Shangri-La offers more variety compared to Alegre and Plantation Bay. You have more than a handful of restaurants to choose from: Garden Patio - their coffee shop, Asiatica, which specializes in Asian Food, Shang Palace whose forte is Chinese, Cowrie Cove which offers seafood, and Paparazzi for Italian dishes.

I have also tried Shangri-La’s in-house service, which Palm Garden, my favorite spa in Manila, operates. The quality is the same, only it’s almost three times the Manila price, at P2,000 for an hour of full-body massage.

The hotel’s newly opened Chi Spa Village offers wider choices - over 30 Chinese and Himalayan-style body and water massage, ranging from a USD$95 one and a half hour water shiatsu, where you float in a warm water pool while an attendant stretches and works over your body, to a USD$348 four and a half hour vitality ritual combining bath therapy, body scrub and firming wrap with healing stone massage and facial

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written April 3, 2007

• brownkoala profile photo brownkoala
  • Reviews: 29

3 star hotel in uptown Cebu city: Vacation Hotel, Cebu City

This hotel is 3 star class but you'll get great value for your money. If you really plan to go around Cebu while you're there and would just like to have an airconditioned, clean, comfortable, with hot & cold water, cable TV lodging for maybe a week's stay, or you would just want to have a place to sleep, eat and take a bath after a full day's worth of traveling, then 3 star hotels like Vacation Hotel in Juana Osmeña street, near Sacred Heart School, would definitely be an excellent choice! The hotel is very accessible to Cebu's uptown and downtown areas. The staff are friendly too. We have no problem staying there.

This hotel has efficient room service, hot & cold water, cable TV, airconditioner, restaurant and swimming pool.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written March 30, 2007

• zoltan007 profile photo zoltan007
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel de Mercedes: The "In" Stay.

Very Clean the peopl very friendly! in downtown area! very easy to catch public transportaion. I would stay there again.

This is just a place to stay for sleep.AC rooms. make your stay a bit more comfertable. Get in Shower change and go! but very nice to just relax.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average