Mactan Island Resort Shangrila

Satisfaction Poor

Good For No Data
  • P0intman's Profile Photo

Disappointing 5-star hotel

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights because of a poker tournament held there so the decision was based on convenience. When we booked this hotel online, we were offered a shuttle ride from the airport to hotel for a steep price of Php600.00. We declined that of course and took a metered taxi which cost only Php175.00. The hotel is pretty much isolated, 15 minutes from the airport, 20-25 minutes to downtown Cebu depending on traffic.
    Kind of surprise when the lobby was open-air meaning it was not airconditioned because it was open on one side. I knew it was going to be muggy and humid when there is no wind. It is really uncomfortable drinking your high priced alcoholic drink in a bar lounge when there is no breeze. The ceiling fans were no help either because they were too high to even deliver a cool breeze down below.
    The complimentary buffet breakfast was good on the first day but then it gets old after a while. They serve the same menu every morning so it is really up to you to schedule what you want to eat that particular morning. When you ask for water, please specify that you want it in a big glass otherwise you will get it in a very small juice glass. The hamburger/cheeseburger is less to be desired because it breaks apart easily maybe due to too much meat extender in it.
    The room was comfortable which is a big plus when you are tired. The gym has an excellent equipment. The only negative thing to say is that it was kind of cold for a place that you want to workout. Had to turn off the fan inside since the airconditioning was a little bit cold.
    There were several swimming pools and my favorite is near the beach, the infinity pool. Too bad, all of them are only 4.5 feet deep and still have a lifeguard on duty just in case.

Despite all of these negatives mentioned above, I was willing to ignore them and still had a good and relaxing time in this hotel. Until after I just checked out. I asked to call a taxi for me to take us to the airport. I waited for more than 10 minutes only to find out that they don't allow taxis to enter the property unless they are dropping off guests. I was wondering why the security person did not make any attempt to flag down the empty taxi driving out of the property after I yelled to stop it. I was a little upset about this because I have no option but to wait for a taxi dropping off a guest or pay Php700.00 (remember it was offered to me online for Php600.00) for their shuttle van. Since I don't have plenty of time to waste, I had no choice but to give in to their expensive shuttle service. I already felt cheated when I paid Php700.00 when it will only cost me only Php175.00. As the hotel van was exiting the main entrance, there were available taxis parked right out of the gate. I don't understand they force their guest to take their high priced shuttle service by not letting taxis to enter the property to pick up guests. It would have been a nice stay but this forced expensive shuttle ride destroyed all of it! I left with disgust and will never stay in this hotel again!

Unique Quality: Infinity pool with a great view. Excellent gym equipment.

• uysijessa's Profile Photo

The best place to stay in Cebu

We recently traveled to Cebu (june 11-13, 2009) and availed of Shangri-la Mactan's package promo of just paying P6,500++ per night for a superior gardenview room for a minimum 2 nights stay. The package also included daily breakfast for 2, unlimited use of non-motorized watersports facilities, free use of the jetski for 15mins., complimentary shuttle service to the city center vis-a-vis the hotel, free broadband internet access, and free use of their health club facilities. And since we didn't plan on leaving the resort the package was sooo worth it as we were able to maximize what we paid for. But even if you don't avail of the package, even if the price is pretty steep, I think staying at this hotel is really worth the price you pay. Everything is just great, I have absolutely no complaints and will definitely go back.

Unique Quality: Shangri-la Mactan has the best beach on the island of Mactan and their beach facilities are just great! I loved that the beach is also a marine sanctuary and you can see fish swimming as soon as you enter the water. Loved that the water is super clear that it's great for snorkelling. Loved that they provided beach towels and offer all the equipment you need (i.e. snorkel set, jet ski, kayaks, etc) for a day at the beach. Loved that there's a nearby bar/resto where you can order food and drinks with waiters milling around the beach ready to take your order at the snap of your finger. No need to stand and stop sunbathing!

Directions: from the airport you can arrange with the hotel for airport pick up (for a fee) or take a cab to the hotel. it isn't so far since it's on the same island as the airport. another option is to take a jeep but i'm not too sure how to go about this.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Five Star Luxury in Mactan, great ocean views

We enjoyed staying in this 5-star hotel where we were given a suite with an amazing panoramic view. The check-in was easy, and the concierge answered to all our needs for seeing the vicinity. The weird thing is that the young man who greeted us at the reception said that his middle name was the same as my unusual last name -- and so we later discover he was a distant cousin (family who migrated from north to south of Philippines decades ago)!

The suite also had a verandah and it was nice to just sit there and enjoy the ocean and the lush greenery.

The beach was likewise nice and there's even a collection of fish (coralled by nets) that you can waddle in. The pools of the hotel are huge and well-maintained. I even saw a celebrity actress swimming with us in the pool! Apparently, this hotel is a favourite among politicians and showbusiness people.

The service is excellent as you would expect from a 5-star hotel. Food was well-prepared in the restaurant was just on the beach. Definitely, would stay here again when in Mactan!

Comments