1 Bonifacio St. cor. Quirino Blvd, Vigan, Philippines

• iam_rn's Profile Photo

Discourteous female front desk staff

After a long drive from Pagudpud, we decided to spend the night in Vigan and chanced upon this hotel. It was beautiful and clean and the room rates were resonable because it was the middle of typhoon/rainy season, meaning less tourists around. The female front desk staff on duty then was very rude and snotty during check-in and if I was not so tired from all that driving and if not for the warm welcome accorded to us by the bell boys, we would have turned back and looked for another place to stay in. I commend the bell boys for their service and wish that the front desk staff be retrained in basic courtesy especially since they are the front-liners of their industry.

Unique Quality: Beautiful Spanish-era architecture, beautiful 4-poster wooden beds. Authentic antique furniture. Walking distance to tourist areas and restaurants. Good in-house restaurant serving exotic and authentic Ilocano dishes.

Main parking is away from the inn's compound. Bathroom gave off a bad smell, possibly from age-old pipes.

• The Quaint and Easy place to be in Vigan

Service- Staff were friendly enough though they give the impression of "please don't bother me if it's not that important"-it's like they're scared of talking or something...

Facilities_ Room was okay enough, The AC was so cold but perfect for that time. It was scorching hot already! Faucet water had a foul smell that I hated but it was doable. I just had to use mineral water to brush my teeth...

Hotel was quaint and really gave you the vintage home feel in the Philippibnes. Nicely situated-walking distance to Calle Crisologo and the Plaza.

Rates were friendly enough-1700/night. Cable tv, hot/cold shower, free breakfast, AC and 2 beds! Worth It!

• Richard06's Profile Photo

Great place to stay in Vigan

We were in Vigan last Feb 12 - 14 and we opted to stay at Grandpa's Inn because I saw in their website that the place is good, and it really is.

Our first night was in a fan room only, the weather was fine so air-conditioning is not a necessity.
    The only problem is the lack of closet in the room, no sink in the bathroom, and no hot water. There is cable but the reception is awful.

The second night, we transferred to a better room. Room 5 to be exact.
    It is a good room! hot and cold water, sink, and a closet to organize our belongings. the room is meant for three persons because there is a spare bed.

I like the overall look of the place. Old but clean.

I recommend this place to relatives and friends, and will be back here if ever i happen to come to Vigan again.

Before i forget, staff were accommodating and helpful. They even helped arrange our Kalesa tour for the day.

Unique Quality: I loved the fact that Calle Crisolog is a mere 5-minute walk away.

Grandpa's is also a street across their UNO grille where food was very good.
    They have their own souvenir shop for your pasalubong.
    A cafe with bar, and their restaurant where we ate our delicious daily breakfast.

Directions: Two blocks away from Calle Crisologo

• Richard06's Profile Photo

Good place to stay

I visited Grandpa's inn's website before I reserved for two nights, and I was never wrong in doing so. We arrived there around 4:30PM on February 12.

The place was easy to locate, just a Kalesa or tricycle away from bus terminal or drop offs.

We first opted to stay in one of the fan rooms since they said it is cold in Vigan in February.
    The room was okay. But the comfort room does not have hot and cold and a sink.
    There isn't a drawer on the table nor a closet for your belongings.
    We then transferred to a new room, air-conditioned, with hot and cold, a closet and a spare bed since the room is good for three persons. . Room number was 5, i suggest you ask for this room.

Major credit cards accepted here.

What i loved is the fact that you only need to walk around 5 minutes, and boom, your in calle crisologo.

Loved the place, i'll be coming back here when i come to Vigan again for a vacation.

And lastly, staff are all accommodating. . Especially Joren who arranged our kalesa tour.

I'll spread the news Grandpa, wait for my friends and relatives at your doorsteps. :-)

Unique Quality: What's unique about this place is that it retained the old look, since it is one of the reasons people drop by Vigan, and yet they mixed it up with modern looks.

They have their own Bar, a restaurant and a grill.

Daily breakfast was good. I would like to commend their Tapa which is so tender.

And a souvenir shop also. All these four establishments are steps away from the hotel/inn.

• lakbayPinas's Profile Photo

Living in the past

Nostalgic is perhaps what best describes this place.

Once a Spanish residential house, it was converted into an inn housing 19 rooms, a coffee shop (Café Uno), and a restaurant (Kusina Felecitas).

The rooms impart an old-world character, and the entire inn is a mini-museum by itself, showcasing vintage furniture and collections of antique heirloom pieces displayed in different areas of the house.

Rooms are quite basic, and come with standard amenities (air-conditioning, private toilet and bath with hot shower, cable TV). Standard fan rooms are also available, and come with the same amenities except for the air-conditioning.

The inn provides 24 hour Internet WiFi access in all rooms, and room rates include complementary breakfast.

Unique Quality: The inn is just a few blocks away from Vigan’s heritage strip (Calle Crisologo), and a five-minute walk to the old town center (Plaza Burgos and Vigan Cathedral).

Directions: A short walk away from Calle Crisologo

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Museum Hotel

Calesa Room: P1350 for 2, P390 per additional bed (max of 4 persons/room)

Family Room: P2130 for 4 (2 calesa beds and 1 matrimonial bed), max of 6 persons/room

Dorm-type Room: P4,040 (4 double decks max of 6 persons/room) with cable tv, a/c, bathfree breakfast. 50% deposit, Confirm through fax or e-mail

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Unique Culturally Designed Beds

Grandpa’s Inn is strategically located in the heart of Vigan. It is a residential Spanish house of the Donato Family which was converted into an Inn in 1979. It has 19 rooms in the hotel, and it houses the coffee shop Cafe' Uno and the restaurant Kusina Felicitas. It has now added three dormitory rooms and the restaurant Uno Grille in its extension at another heritage house of the Pilar Encarnacion-Tongson Family.

Grandpa's Inn has unique culturally designed rooms with beds inspired by the Kalesa (Horse drawn carriage), Karison(Carabao drawn farm Carriage) and Pasagad ( farm sleds).

The inn's motif will surely appeal to travelers who welcome non-conventional designs/motifs in the hotel bedroom.

(All photos by my daughter)

• janbonivic's Profile Photo

Indeed our home away from home...

Excellent location and the staff are very accommodating and friendly... Which is very helpful since we have with us our 1 year old son...

Unique Quality: Just a minute away from the famous cobbledstone CALLE CRISOLOGO.

• Old School Theme

We reserved a room through email. We booked during high season. The rate that was given to us was Php1,680.00 for 2pax with breakfast. If you're gonna book during off peak, they will give the room at a much lower rate. Most of the tricycle drivers know this place so it was easy for us to find it. It is situated near Plaza Burgos, bus station, market, church so it is very convenient.

The theme of this inn is like the old school Pinoy houses. Almost all the furnitures are made of wood. Upstairs where the rooms are located has a common living room. The room has an aircon, tv with cable, a writing desk, bathroom with hot and cold water. It is clean and comfortable.

At the lobby, you will find Cafe Uno. The food is reasonably price and tastes good.

I definitely recommend this place.

Unique Quality: Staffs and the inn's policies are considerate.

• screamcheese's Profile Photo

Your home away from home

We were on a tight budget so we decided to stay in one of their non-airconditioned rooms. yOur room had 2 separate beds, a TV and a shower room. We also got to check out the other rooms, which were far too much for me, just imagine you're bed shaped like a kalesa, etc. Ours was the most ordinary, not too comfy but fare enough for the price we paid.

My only complain was the water that came out of the shower head. It kinda smelled different and it wasn't as clear as manila water. I'm not sure if that's really the kind of water they have in Vigan or they just have rusty water pipes in Grandpa's Inn.

The staff was very accomodating and helpful in terms of commenting on our itinerary. They even allowed us to leave our bags during check out time. We didn't leave Vigan right after check-out time so we left our belongings at the front desk. We paid a couple of bucks to rent our same room for 2 hours (i think) It was well-worth it since we needed a place to rest and to shower without having to pay for another day's worth of stay.

• myspices's Profile Photo

Like a Museum within..

When we arrived at Vigan and unsure of our bearings, we had difficulty finding Grandpa's Inn. We had taken a round-about way of going into Grandpa's inn. Once we have established our bearings, the Inn is actually very easy to find - the landmark is Plaza Burgos. From Plaza Burgos which is very near to the Max Restaurant where the statue of Leona Florentina stood, you are then on the right track. Keep right and take the 1st left turn and you will see the Inn at the end of the road.

The inn is dimly lit - which is almost like dark - hmm.. i guess it's their setting - you know the museum type of ambience.. Lots of antiques, machines and even a kalesa are on display. The reception area is hung with lots of procelain plates and ornaments - a bit overdone. On the table laid the certificate on the accreditation of Grandpa's Inn. We were led to our room upstairs - more decos and antiques and paintings . There is a common living room for guests to hang out upstairs and a table next to the window if you wish to see the view outside.

For a standard room for 2 paxs with hot water - 900 pesos per night with breakfast thrown in.
    See more pics of Grandpa's Inn on my travelogue entitled " A Museum within Grandpa's Inn" - see if you like it here.

Unique Quality: I like staying here basically because :-
    1) situated at a convenient place along the Crisologo Street. The click-clad sound of the kalesa is melodious to me
    2) accessible to the rest of the places of interests
    3) sheets are old but clean
    4) I like the breakfast served here

Directions: At the juction where you see Max Restaurant, keep to your right, 1st turning on left and straight down at the end. It's a corner lot building.

• magic_jersey's Profile Photo

Budget Accomodation

rooms are not bad but it's kinda old, staffs are very accomodating.....we choose this place just to leave our bags for a day....not a good idea if you plan to stay for an overnight

Comments