El Nido, Philippines

Agoda.com Asiatravel.com

• crewrower's Profile Photo

Las Cabanas - relaxing away from El Nido town

This is not a bargain option. Current price is P9800 for two (at time of writing this is over US$200), but it includes 3 meals a day.

The selling points are that the place is extremely relaxing. Very few people in the area. The resort only has 5 rooms. There are neighboring cottages, and the pretty beach attracts some daytrippers, but for the most part it is quite and you have a lot of space. The meals are very good. Ordinarily I wouldn't like to be forced into paying for 3 square meals a day in advance, but these are home cooked meals from scratch (which has downsides: you order from a menu and need to put your meal request in in advance; some items will be unavailable on given days). So I think it's ' worth it', and your only other practical feeding option would be to tricycle into town (a 30 minute journey by combo of walking and tricycle for 150 pesos), or bring your own food (no self cooking facilities). The owner also has a restaurnt in the town where you can eat for free as part of your package -- this is a good deal because it means you can go into town during the afternoon or evening and not feel like you are "wasting" one of your meals. The staff are good -- very responsive to your needs but stay out of your way otherwise. The owner, Dan, is a French Canadian who has lived most of his life in Asia and is an interesting guy to chat with. The groundskeeping/gardens are very nice and are what to help create the relaxing charm of the place.

Downsides are that this is a remote location. Power is provided by generator. You can only charge items for a few hours a day during the evenings. Your lights and fan are powered by a solar charger. If it's a cloudy day, you won't get a good charge, which means you might not be able to run your fan all night. Other than the good food, there are no frills of staying here. It's a basic (but comfortable) cottage. Mosquitos and - much worse- fleas, were a problem when I visited in February 2011. The fleas were the worst for me at dusk, and bit me relentlessly. I used Deep Woods Off but got bit my mosiqutos and fleas on nearly every square inch that I forgot to spray. There are no fleas in the room, and the staff is good about setting up the mosquiot net over your bed each night. Another downside to some is that there may be 8-10 inch geckos in your room. They are completely harmless and won't bother you, and actually help by eating insects. But if you're not accostomed to them, it can be disturbing. Luckily they tend to not move around much (they stay very still to suprise their prey), but they call out in the night and you will occasionally hear them climbing into the walls and roof of your cabin. They will get into your room. But you have a mosquito net that they cannot penetrate, and they don't want to come near you anyway. Another issue, which I wouldn't call a downside, is that you are far from El Nido town. You will need to walk 15 minutes (on a pitch black beach and wooded path) at night (bring a torch!), and take a tricycle for 15 minutes into town. As for swimming, the beach outside the resort is great, but the water is very very shallow and rocky in many places. I was never able to walk out far enough barefooted to get into a deep area. There is a good swimming spot but you need to walk 500 meters or so down the beach.

Something to keep in mind is that you can stay in El Nido town for much - MUCH - cheaper. However, the town just feels depressing. From what I could tell from the outside of most places, they are very basic and probably dirty inside, and definitely noisy. The beach in El Nido town isn't so great. We walked along it and were somewhat dismayed that one of the beachfront hotels ran its wastewater down the beach into the ocean. I think if you're in El Nido with a few friends and on a budget, then staying in the town rather than Las Cabanas makes sense. But there is a reason Las Cabanas can charge so much even though it doesn't have steady electricity -- it's location is just so much better.

Directions: 3km south of El Nido. If you hapeen to be coming from TayTay/Puerto Princessa, it is before you hit El Nido, so ask to be dropped off directly rather than going to El Nido town and backtracking.

• TonyBagnall's Profile Photo

Best resort in El Nido

Las Cabanas is a small resort south of el nido town. It is owned by Dan and Bhing, who are most hospitable hosts. It currently consists of just three beach huts, with another planned. We stayed for four nights in December 2006. We had a great time, and I would recommend it to anyone (see below). It is not officially open as yet so has not advertised at all and does not have a website, but can be booked in el nido from Bhing's shop opposite the catholic church (Bhing's Bizz) or talk to judith at the arts cafe who will ring them. In advance you can email Dan on Las_Cabanas_resort@yahoo.com.

Dolorog looks posher (we walked past), but I am very glad we chose las cabanas, as we had a really memorable trip. I've stayed in a lot of beach resorts at this level in south east asia, and this is now probably my favorite (up there with sailing club in mui ne, paradise resort on long beach phi phi and sensi lodge on koh tau). Overall, this place feels like a labour of love. They ar elucky to have had the freedom to design a resort exactly as they would like without having to pack in huts, and I dont think I could have done better myself.

Also, no mosquitos! At least when we were there, there we no mossers at all. It gets worse in the rainy season, but I put it down to the cleanliness of the resort and the lack of people in the area.

Unique Quality: 1. Location: The plot is at the headland of two beaches. There is some coral off the beach which is easy to swim to, and fish stocks are growing because they have banned fishing in the area. The area is very lightly populated and the beaches are more or less deserted. We walked a way along the beach in both directions, no hassle, a few friendly local kids, just the right atmosphere.

2. The hosts: Dan and Bhing were charming hosts, made us most welcome and were interesting and friendly to chat to. They get exactly the right balance between giving you the space to do your thing and the attention and conversation to make your trip great. Attention to detail was superb. For example, one evening I was chatting to Dan about my liking for spicy food. The next day on our boat trip, some spicy chilli sauce has been added to the picnic. Staff are also very friendly and helpful.

3. The huts: While not as high specification as dolorog (no A/C or hot water), the huts are widely spaced apart and nicely fitted out. Each has a balcony and hammocks near by, and is solar powered giving light even when the generator is off. The beds are large, shutters block out all light and the surrounding area is very quiet (no dogs or cockerels!). We slept very well.
    4. The food: The deal is all in, and Bhing cooks the food. She is a great cook, and the food was gorgeous and plentiful. Think I put on several pounds in the four days!
    5. The resort: There are attractive benches set on the beach and the huts and raised dining area are set in lovingly cared for, well maintained gardens.
    6. The trips: They will hire out a boat with a guide and a driver to let you construct your own trip. Whilst this is (relatively) not exactly cheap (2-3k per day for two people) it does offer tremendous freedom. The guys will pitch up at any beach you want and cook you a gigantic lunch of fish, port, chicken, salad and rice. It feels like true luxury to have that freedom. We also hired a Kayak and went accross the bay, great fun.

Directions: They will arrange airport transfer, or they will pick you up by boat from el nido and take you directly there (500 peso iirc). Alternatively get a bike and take a short walk (150 peso).

More about El Nido

bacon and eggsbacon and eggs

3 jam crepe3 jam crepe

My VanMy Van

Me loving Helicopter Island in El nidoMe loving Helicopter Island in El nido

5 days in El Nido -- stay in El Nido town or elsewhere?

by crewrower

We will be there in early February. Obviously we want to do some island hopping but it's also likely that we'll want to have 1-2 days where we just stay put and relax right at the hotel. Is a beachfront hotel in El Nido a recommended place to do this, or can you suggest some place else?

Thanks!

Re: 5 days in El Nido -- stay in El Nido town or elsewhere?

by DSwede

El Nido is a relatively small town. Not many accommodations exists outside of the town. If you do not want to pay the higher price of staying on a waterfront hotel, you will never be any further than a ~5 minute walk from the beach.

Re: 5 days in El Nido -- stay in El Nido town or elsewhere?

by shunruili

You can check lally and abet resort. the balcony on the second floor offers a very nice view of the beach.

Travel Tips for El Nido

Entering Secret Beach

by gerryexide

Visit El NIdo during April and May .Timing of August might prevent you from entering the secret beach. We visited it last April 7.At around 11am. The water level was just enough for the hole that we were able to come in without much problem.. Clean,white sand beach and beautiful corals

the rainy season

by bogwurst

the country gets an average of 20-23 hurricanes every year and about 90% of them arrive between the months of june - october. it's called rainy season for a reason :D but it doesn't mean that it rains everyday, nor does it mean that every hurricane is sure to hit the province of palawan. it's a big gamble though. my advice to you is to not book a tour package, just rooms, coz the odds are against you. hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

cheers!

Travel Tour in El Nido - Puerto Prinsesa

by judayandryan

I DO NOT GO FOR A TOUR AGENTS/COMPANY, but I did it just take a trip to El Nido last February 12-16, 2010 and had the experience of a LIFETIME.

If you go to El Nido, you will undoubtedly do some island hopping, but its how we did it that really made our trip.

HADEFE Travel and Tours with Kuya Hanny a 5 days tour, it includes trip to EL Nido and Puerto Prinsesa. (and im not sure if this tip will permit by Mr G and Tillman to post this)

but after the trip we are truly enjoy in their service.... it was superb promise...
here are their website.

09209523280 - Hanny Enor

Your Trusted service/shuttle Van to hire

by KarlMC

Maybe this could help others who are comming from Puerto Princessa going to Elnido or to other places. I have a Van that you can rent if you want to go anywhere in Palawan. Just send me an email at jc_jamesc@yahoo.com or just drop me a call/Text at +639186779661. Plan ahead of time and let me help you make your Itinerary if needed.

Art Café in El Nido – Your 1-stop shop in El Nido

by GenuinelyCurious

If you spend any time at all in El Nido, you’ll probably end up at the Art Café. This place is a great traveler’s resource. They arrange island hopping, ‘cliff climbing’ and boat rentals as well as close to a full service travel agency as El Nido has. They’ve got a decent restaurant where you can pick up little luxuries like imported wine. And although there’s nothing special about the food, it’s fine and the staff is friendly and competent. One nice bonus is the free wi-fi internet connection you can enjoy if you bring your laptop while eating there.

Swiss co-owner (and VTer) Judith is particularly well-informed about El Nido and has a lot of info about Palawan generally. As full service as they are, they are also a bit on the expensive side for just about everything, but only a bit. For my peace of mind, an extra 50 pesos for an all-day tour was worth it. And the free internet was definitely worth an extra 20 pesos on the meal. Judith VT ID

Art Cafe website