4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 169% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about El Nido Resort Lagen Island Palawan

Go a a Day Tour Binge

by enamorado7107

If you're financially-challenged as I am and yet you want to explore the best resorts of Palawan then go on Day Tours instead. Most resorts in palawan offer day tours.

Club Paradise - PHP 6250 (for two persons)inclusions land transfers from Coron Town and back, boat transfers, buffet lunch, use of swimming pool, snorkelling gear as well as your own guide, rooms (subject to availability)

Lagen Island - USD 18 (per person) lunch only, no rooms, book your own boat tranfers.

Club Noah Isabelle - PHP 1700 per person inclusive of boat transfers, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, snorkelling gear, rooms (subject to availability). BEST DEAL!!!

Dos Palmas - PHP 1650 per person inclusive of land and boat transfers, buffet lunch, snorkelling gear, unlimited supply of old bread for fish feeding, bike rental, kayaking, no rooms, common shower room, swimming pool is off limits

Three encounters with the last frontier

by enamorado7107

"The first trip"

Mid March 2005 - I went to Palawan summer of last year expecting nothing and at the end of my trip, astonished and enchanted by everything about it.

Our flight from Manila to Puerto Princesa was delayed by four hours. After the long wait and the short flight, we were met by the Princesa Holiday staff at the airport and we were whisked off to Tigman in Aborlan, around 2 hours ride from Puerto Princesa. We passed through winding roads along the mountainside. There were soldiers stationed at the roads and the driver told us that this was in preparation for arriving guests at a cockpit derby, which was very near the resort. It so happened that my friend and I are the only guests that have nothing to do with the derby.
As soon as we got off the van, I heard the splash of waves and told my friend that it was still habagat. She told me she couldn't hear a thing and was amazed at how strong my hearing was. Turns out I was right. The waves were huge and there were no boat trips scheduled. Nevertheless, the view was great. We had around 4 kilometers of beach to ourselves. Other guests were pre-occupied with the derby and it turns out that it was a big-time derby. There were politicians and businessmen from all over the country at the resort. Since we arrvied late in the afternoon, we settled for the swimming pool instead. The rooms, which were airconditioned and native in style, offered the basics and there were nothing exceptional about it. The food though was great and the restaurant staff are very accomodating.

The next day, we went to Estrella Falls by riding a trike. Our butts hurt so much during the long and bumpy ride but the travel was a memorable one. We passed through rice fields and various barangays and the people were friendly. The kids were smiling at us as we were passing by. As soon as we got to the falls, we had our pictures taken. After a short kodak moment, we swam and we splashed around the falls. The water was ice-cold and it was very refreshing on a very hot, near summer day. It turns out that the plenty of locals hang-out and have a picnic there. When the visitors start cooking their lunch by ihaw-ihaw, the monkeys come out. I have plenty of monkey pictures and I'll post it soon. It was still early in the afternoon so we asked the trike driver to bring us to Narra.

The next day, we woke up early and took a stroll along the beach. There were marines stationed at the resort because of the high security guests that were checked in. It was definitely one of the most memorable beach walks I've ever had. It made me think about retiring at that very spot and writing The Great Novel (told you the place was great, It made me hallucinate). It was a classic post card moment. The waves were splashing, the morning sun was barely peeking behind our backs and the wind was not fierce but its force was as if it wanted to be felt and be remembered. We swam for a few minutes during midday. We couldn't stay long enough at the beach because there was no lifeguard around and the waves were huge.

We left the resort at around 530 am the next day. The restaurant staff was kind enough to pack our breakfast for us even if it meant opening up the kitchen as early as 430 am. The van came late so the driver zoomed all the way to puerto princesa, unimindful of the rocky roads, potholes and sharp curves. We had reservations at the Hotel Fleuris. The reservation guy was rude. He insisted that the hotel was fully booked even after repeatedly telling him that we paid almost two months before for our rooms. After re-checking, he confirmed our reservations and we had our breakfast. We were booked by the staff of Princesa Holiday for a Honda Bay Tour . In Manila, we were asked to choose just one tour. While in Aborlan, I insisted, God knows why, to cut our stay short and go to Puerto earlier so we can join an island hopping tour. Turns out to be one of those life-changing decisions I have ever done.

"The second trip"

Last week of April 2005

We can't get enough of Palawan!!!

My friend and I decided to explore the province (it consists of around 1800 islands) again and start from the northermost tip.

First stop Coron (via Sea Air)------>>then El Nido (via Sea Air) ----->> lovely town of Taytay (via hired van)---->>then off to Puerto Princesa (via hired van which broke down in the middle of nowhere, transferred to a bus, got off at Roxas to ride another van again hoping to make up for lost time but as luck would have it, the van broke down again in the middle of nowhere so we had to hitchhike)

We wanted to see the best resorts in Palawan in just one trip and within a limited budget. Stayed at Seadive in the town of Coron for our base then arranged a day tour at Club Paradise Resort. Met Randy Yong (+639212447993) who took us to Dibutonay Island. Took a flight to El NIdo via Sea Air and went directly to Judith of El Nido Art Cafe to arrange our tours and accomodations. Went to the "White House" to arrange our lunch at Lagen Island. Hired Lolit's van (+6329162320489) to take us to Taytay. Stayed at Pem's Pension. Fetched at 430 am by Club Noah Staff for daytour. Headed off to puerto princesa. Stayed at Skylight Apartelle for our base then arranged a daytour at Dos Palmas. 10 days of bliss, 4 world class resorts, a dozen or so boat tours and eco-tours, tons of pasalubong all for 35K PHP per person.

"The third trip"

Summer of 2006

This place is always on my mind.

I know it sounds cheesy but this is the place where I found a home I've never known before. For a very long time I was lost and somehow the only place I can collect myself is by going back to Palawan. And so I decided to spend my birthday in Puerto Princesa.

Lagen Island ResortLagen Island Resort

12 best and most environment-friendly resorts in the world

by edwinic

Miniloc Island Resort and Lagen Island Resort in El Nido town in northern Palawan are among this year’s 12 best and most environment-friendly resorts in the world, according to Conde Nast Traveler, which published the Green List in its September issue.

The other tourist destinations cited are in Antarctica, South Africa, Italy, Indonesia, Honduras and the United States.

RE: 12 best and most environment-friendly resorts in the world

by scarp601

That's good to know as we are heading down there(Miniloc Island Resort) later this year!!

by backpackerpards

That's really amazing! We have been in Miniloc this June and we are very proud of the service they have and yes, they made us more aware of how to take care of the environment. They use biodegradable stuff and also makes sure that the trash of guests are collected after each visit by providing guests some plastics. I'm proud of them!

by bike_packer

but then......

very few filipinos could afford these 2 places.

by scarp601

Let's not turn this thread into a socio-economic debate/discussion about a particular resort's affordability. Condé Nast is a travel magazine geared towards the luxury market hence I am not surprised that their Green Lists are mostly the top-end resorts of the world.

Cheers.

by edwinic

Conde Nast Traveler is geared towards highend cliets. Lets just hope and strive that the place will be up to it.

Sure, there will be no economic debates...its just an amazing feeling and that (maybe) someone wishes that the place could be shared by many (Filipinos)..

Boracay or Palawan??

by hktoboracay

Hey guys,

I am planning a trip to either Boracay or Palawan, for later this month. It seems like the major hotels in Boracay (Friday's, Waling-Waling) are pretty much fully booked up already.
I've not really into the partying scene, just a few bars will do, along with solid diving centers and pristine beaches.. Do you think Palawan is a better bet? (I haven't checked hotel availabilities there though, but I like the look of Ed Nido Lagen Island resort..)

What do you think - Boracay or Palawan??

by Tijavi

Hands down, Palawan it is - very pristine, and so far has escaped the massive commercialism that has engulfed Boracay. Still, Boracay has the finest, most powdery white sand beach in the world!

Enjoy!

Re: Re: Boracay or Palawan??

by hktoboracay

I agree... but is there enough to do in Palawan for 10 days? I wouldn't want to dive everyday....

by thomyorke

i would go for palawan. it depends which part though. you won't get much if you're just staying in puerto princesa, the capital. i lived there for 3 months, but i usually stayed out of the city during the weekends for better beaches.

yes, Boracay has fine sands. but just recently after going to El Nido, some of the islands have finer sands than Boracay. there's one beach in El Nido that you could only go by swimming through an opening of a rock formation. they call it 'secret beach' which is actually not a secret anymore. :D

cheers!

by rohinimol

I havent been to Palawan (but want to go soon) but i have been to Boracay - in Feb 2004.

The weather was perfect.The diving is pretty good - although the corals are all dead. On one dive we saw a Sun fish (mola-mola), and on others large bat fish, red snappers, octopus. You can do night dives off white beach.

Boracay is pretty crowded but not as crowded as say Phuket. But this also means that there is a huge variety of food available. There are also many dive centres to choose from.

RE: Boracay or Palawan??

by ilonahjean

Hi,
Try The Saigon Beach Hotel in Boracay, it is a nipa hut accomodation but clean and comfortable.

Looking for romantic/secluded, beach getaway in March/April

by dragon888

Hi all,

We're seeking a place in the Philippines that we could escape for 2 or 3 days in March or April. We were thinking of trying to find a quiet spot on Boracay, but I've read that those two months are incredibly crowded there. So, can anyone suggest another place that might be suitable? We don't care so much for the night life or diving activities, but wouldn't mind finding a place that might have a nice restaurant or two and to do some kayaking, horse riding, and/or hiking. Time is rather limited too so, we would prefer a place that we could reach by plane from Manila and a short taxi/bus ride away once we land.

Any ideas?

Thanks all!

by Yob

YOu may also want to try Dos Palmas Resort in Puerto Princesa Palawan. Its a very nice secluded island resort. Or try El nido. In cebu, there are also lots of good beach resorts. The Plantation Bay and Shangri-la Mactan Resort.

by francis0927

When you reach Boracay, ask around how you could get to Isla de Carabao (Carabao Island). Been to the place... its how Boracay looks decades ago when it is not developed yet. The beach is as beautiful and sand as fine - minus the crowd. Though it is not as properly maintained as Boracay beaches so you might find some debris in the beach but still beautiful nevertheless.

There are some decent restaurants and lodges. I don't know about horses but you can rent motorcycles and ride around the island. When we went there we rented the boat of the Mayor's brother to see their place... the same boat took us to Boracay also.

by Libra12

Look at the website of El Nido Lagen Island or Miniloc Island. You can also check Sangat Island Reserve. Pictures are posted in my Coron travel page.

Comments