Port Barton Hotels

Our Members Say

CASSANDARA'S BEACH COTTAGES: IDEAL PLACE

While i was in Port Barton recently 2 new bungalows had just been erected, which are set in a secure compound with a nice garden. They are located just across the bridge at the northern end of the beach. The owner invited us in to view them and we were delighted with what we saw. Each have a large CR, a verandah and the furniture is well made and has everything you require. There is a good view of the beach and a short walk from the jeepney stop.
Prices during the busy season can be as high as 1,300 pesos but you can bargain for a cheaper price in the off season.

• Opinion of Price: N/A

cosy bungalow

GREENVIEWS RESORT: quiet place

Greenview Resort is the last place at the northern end of the beach. The bungalows are in a neat grassy compound and are well looked after. Unfortunately the swimming at this end of the beach is not as good here. They have their own boat for El Nido and other trips.

UPDATE DECEMBER 2014
There are a couple of new buildings here and a volleyball net outside on the beach for guests to have some exercise. Prices are displayed on a board and start at 1,700 pesos. Possibly you can get a discount in the off-season or for a long stay.

• Opinion of Price: N/A

EL DORADO: SAFE AND SECURE

The local lady who owns the place has a secure fenced compound with several concrete bungalows ranging in price from 700 upwards, but there is also one small backpackers bungalow with common CR for around 400 pesos. El Dorado is located just across the bridge at the north end of the beach.

concrete cottage

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BAMBOO HOUSE: CHEAP BUT WOULD WE STAY THERE AGAIN?

We stayed here for a couple of nights and although it was dirt cheap there was not much sleep those nights as there were many roosters next door, and also a puppy whined all night as it was tied on a leash. The bungalows were clean, they have bathroom and small terrace where you can hang your hammock. The bungalows are fifty metres back from the beach, with other building in between .
Update JUNE 2012-- the place was closed as they were renovating the bungalows which probably means a price increase, should be open for the season.
UPDATE DECEMBER 2014
This place has been renovated and there are two more bungalows, but the cheapest still cost 500 pesos.

• Written March 10, 2012

SIMPLE BAMBOO HUT AT THE BAMBOO HOUSE

• lotharscheer profile photo lotharscheer
  • Reviews: 989

Bamboo House: Not on the Beach, but cheap

Bungalows from 400 Pesos.
Update:
Has now only Bungalows, from 500 Pesos (off-season a bit cheaper) with shower and toilet, close to the beach, decent restaurant.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Budget Travel, Beaches
  • Written April 7, 2011

Bamboo House

• janbonivic profile photo janbonivic
  • Reviews: 86

Elsa's Cottage: The best location

Beachfront resort. Just at the center of everything...
Staff are friendly and very accommodating

• Written April 6, 2010

Elsa's Beach Cottages

El Dorado Sunset Gardens: Nipa and Brick Cottages

I did not stay here but went in to have a look around and take some photos. I wrote about El Dorado in my Nightlife tip section, so I wont focus too much on the atmosphere of the place here, just what the accommodation looks like.

I saw different rows of cottages, some were brick (the first two rows) and the rest were nipa style cottages towards the back. Only the first row gets a glimpse of the beach. The cottages lie dotted in a garden with lots of trees and plants and a path that you follow to get to your room.

First row of cottages were priced at P800.
Second row at P600
Nipa style cottages at back were only P400.

Front row cottages

Ayette's Bamboo Cottages: Not on the beach

I didn't stay here but I ate most days if not everyday at their adjoining restaurant so I had a look inside one of their cottages. The one I looked in was a little small and the floor was made from lined pieces of bamboo so there were some cracks here and there so creepy crawlies could get in if they wanted! But what's an insect between friends!!!?

They are not on the beach, so that could be the only negative thing going for them. They looked very clean and well maintained, and because the shop and restaurant is next door, you don't need to go far if you need anything!

Asking price was P350 a night.

One of their 3 cottages

Coconut Garden Island Resort: The Place to Relax

I did not stay here but came across a brochure on it and it sounded lovely, so am including it as one of my tips for those who are interested. Everything written below is taken from their leaflet:

The Tourists' Choice over Sabang (Underground River)
In Puerto Princesa, take a public jepney to Sabang. In Sabang, contact the Tourist Office for information on how to get to Coconut Garden Island Resort.

The Economical Choice over Port Barton
Take a public jeepney to Port Barton at the Terminal in the New Market at Brgy. San Jose. It leaves around 930am, depending if there are enough passengers. Coconut Garden Island Resort's service boat can pick you up anytime. Price per person P225.

From El Nido by Boat
Contact the Tourist Office about the schedule of the service boats' or El Nido Boutique for special trips. Check out the Tourist Office to see if our Super Promo package is available. Price per person P1550.

From El Nido by Bus and Service Boat
Take the bus no later than 8am. It takes only 4 hours to Itabak. Wait for transportation from Roxas to San Vicente. Call Coconut Garden Island Resort to pick you up. Price per person P250.

All our cottages are good for two people. Discount of 15% for walk-in guests (I think you should check this out before you go...sounds strange to me!)

Cottage with private shower and toilet, terrace (Full Price P940)

Cottage with solar elec. fan, private shower and toilet, terrace (Full Price P990)

We offer lodging house accommodations

Single room with private toilet and shower (Full Price P540)

Double room with private toilet and shower (Full Price P790)

Family room with shower and toilet (3pax Full Price P1080, 4 pax Full Price P1200, 5 pax Full Price P1300)

Activities include:
Badminton

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

The Resort

El Busero Inn: Great view, big room

I didn't stay here, but I did have breakfast and dinner here a couple of times and you can read about that in my restaurant tip section! One day I noticed a couple were leaving the only room I saw El Busero to have so I had a quick sneak peek inside so I could show you all what it looks like!

Great view of the beach each morning, lovely flowers and coconut trees all around, but it may not feel very secluded as it's right next to the restaurant so it may also be a little noisy. BUT, the porch area was very large and has a hammock so plenty of room to relax if you don't fancy being in the sun on the beach.

I didn't ask about the prices of the room, and I also didn't ask if they had other rooms, but you can always inquire about it yourself when you get there if you like the look of it!

I took the mobile number below from a website so I do not know if it is accurate. Because people use their mobiles to do business, if someone then leaves the business, the mobile number goes with them too, so it's hard to keep track of them sometimes!

The porch

• Reviews: 404

Ausan Cottages: Creepy Cottages!

My description of this place may be slightly one-sided and so please, take it all with a pinch of salt!!!

I first came across these cottages about 11pm one night when I was trying to find a route back to my cottage without having to walk along the beach as I didn't want to get wet from the rising tide. Armed with a very small flashlight, I made my way through the grounds of Ausan Cottages trying to find the main road and in the meantime got caught up in the undergrowth, almost had a heart attack when I shone my flashlight round to see a cockerel at eye level flapping his wings like crazy and making a lot of noise and then finding myself blocked in by a petrol station and big vans! Whilst all this is going on, there's music blaring from a three storey building, the only brick building in the village, and I suddenly felt like I was an extra in a horror film!

Now, come daylight and the whole place looks completely different and nothing like the horror film headquarters I thought I had walked into the night before! I took a tour of the grounds to find that the cockerels were indeed tied to a very high pole where they rested (maybe they don't like putting their feet on the ground!?), the petrol station was the only one in the village so all the vans, boats and jeepneys park there overnight sometimes, the cottages looked fairly large, but the grass and weeds were a little unkempt. The 'crazy house' as I had now dubbed it was standing there in perfect silence and I felt a little silly for having screamed so loud the night before as I ran away from it!

I inquired the prices of the cottages as they didn't look so bad and was amazed that all of them were priced at P400..that is the lowest price for a cottage in all of Port Barton! Is that because they're situated next to the 'crazy house'? I don't know, but for someone on a budget, I wouldn't care..that's a great price! There is also a convenience shop right there so you don't have to go far to get your essentials!

Ausan Cottages

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Elsa's Beach Resort: A little desperate?

I don't have much to comment on this place as I did not stay here. I met someone one night having dinner who was staying in Elsa's rooms (I didn't get to see these) and said they were perfectly acceptable. I did get to look inside one of the cottages, which look like Nipa style from the outside, but are brick inside. The floor was tiled and there was enough space to walk around the room. Maybe it was a little on the dark side though.

I had been looking for a place to stay after we left Greenviews, before I found the wonderful Ysobelle's, and so checked out Elsa's. They had two cottages for us on the dates we wanted but one looked considerably older and smaller although they wanted to charge us the same amount. When I told them it would be my birthday the day we would move in, they were very quick to say, "Oh you can have lots of food and drink here then!", which I thought was just a nice thing for them to suggest, but then they added " Even though you're staying somewhere else now, you should still come here and have your meals!", and that's when I felt they were a little bit pushy!

As it turns out, we didn't move there on my birthday but we told them the night before so they could then take new bookings thereby not lose out on any money. They didn't take this so well and made us feel quite bad about cancelling the booking. No sooner had we left did we see new arrivals checking in, so everything was ok...or so we thought!

We went back a few days later for some food as Elsa's was now the only place we hadn't tried food at and knowing I would be writing on VT after the holiday, I wanted to see what they had to offer! We arrived around 930pm so we knew it was already a little late, but they told us they would still make us something! The food offered however was only sandwiches and that wasn't what we wanted! They kept rushing us and when we said we wanted some seafood, they said "oh ok, anything you want, but that guy over there will cook it for you as the chef has gone!" Gradually I was losing interest in eating there as the menu didn't look interesting, the prices were higher than other places, and I didn't like the way they were pushing us, so we left!

The feeling that we had from cancelling our booking, mixed with the need they had to make some money from us by pushing us to eat and drink there, left me with a strange feeling. I would stay there if other places were booked up on my next visit as it does have a nice look to it, just not sure about the management.

Cottages for 2 people were priced at P800 and rooms were P300.

• Related to: School Holidays, Beaches, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written February 5, 2009

Beach entrance to Elsa's

Summer Homes: Picturesque Paradise

My research had told me that Summer Homes was possibly the most expensive accommodation at Port Barton, so I didn't really look into it in great detail as I was on a budget for this trip. On our jeepney ride to Port Barton, I noticed an older foreign couple and wondered where they were staying and it turns out they were staying here for about 2 weeks, maybe more. I looked on with a little jealousy as they got out and checked in as I would have liked to have stayed there too.

As fate would have it, on my return to Port Barton, I'll tell you about that later, there was no room at either of the places we had stayed at before so I called Summer Homes and asked if they had any rooms available. It turns out that they did, and so I was after all to experience the accommodation there! I was looking forward to it! I had inquired about the price a few days previous when I was doing my research of the place and know the cottages were a little pricey so was perfectly happy to be staying in one of their rooms. After all, I would be out most of the day, so it didn't matter if I didn't have a cottage.

We arrived on boat to Port Barton the second time round from San Vicente, and as we were approaching the beach Summer Homes looked really pretty. They have a nice garden with a few sunbeds/umbrellas and tables and chairs for lunch and dinner, with a stone path leading up the middle to their restaurant and reception area. As we walked in, we were greeted by one of the girls working there telling us to put down our bags and enjoy the complimentary welcome drink she had prepared for us! What a great first impression! They knew my name and were really welcoming!

The room was nice and clean and although the island only has electricity from 6pm to midnight, Summer Homes have their generator on most of the day so you can enjoy the fan in your room and the internet, which at the time of us being there, was the only place in Port Barton that had it. Jambalaya, a restaurant down the beach, claims to have the cheapest internet, but it hadn't been working for some time.

A couple of the staff need a bit more training, and their drink making skills need improvement, but everyone was friendly and I really enjoyed my time there. The restaurant was small but homely - the prices were a little on the high side, but those who were eating there seemed to really like the food. The cottages which are made out of stone are not as exotic looking as other places along the beach, but I'm sure they keep out the critters that seemed to be crawling or flying around the place! The cottages were P1200 and the rooms were P550.

A big thank you to everyone at Summer Homes and although you may not be my first choice next time because I do think the nipa huts at other places are very cool to stay in, I will definitely recommend you to my friends!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written February 4, 2009

Cottages facing the beach

Ysobelle's (formerly Swissippini Lodge & Resort): Beachfront Beauty

I had seen only one traveller's blog on this place so knew what to expect with the A-frame cottages, but no website advertised for this place seemed to open, so I was still fairly oblivious to what the grounds looked like or how much the cottages were. When we arrived in Port Barton two days previous, I had walked around to get my bearings and when I walked all the way down to the other end of the beach from Greenviews, I came across Ysobelle's Beach Resort. I was really excited as they were right on the beach and looked so picturesque and I really wanted to stay in one of them! I inquired about availability and there were 2 free for the day we wanted to move in, the next day, so being 4 people, I quickly reserved them!

The lady at reception, Jean, was really nice and had a lovely smile, so I had a good feeling about this place! They have a big seating area with tables and chairs where you can get a drink, play pool and watch tv. I don't think they do food there but that was ok as we always went into the village to try different places there. We did play pool there most evenings watching the sun set while drinking some homemade rum and cokes though! By 'homemade' I mean, we bought a bottle of each and mixed it ourselves as a bottle of rum is the same price as one mixed drink at most restaurants here! But that is not to say that it's expensive to drink here, as that one bottle of rum cost just over 1 pound!

This resort used to be 'Swissippini Lodge and Resort' and when I asked if they had an Ysobelle's website, they told me to just log onto www.portbartonswissippini.com website. The website is nice to look at, and does give you a rough idea of what to expect but the prices are not applicable and they do not do tours anymore, or didn't when I was there. Also, the layout of the reception and lounging area looks different now too. Hopefully with my review, you can have a much better and up-to-date idea of what they offer!

We stayed in a beachfront cottage, good for 2 people, and paid P800 a night. There were several bigger cottages behind us, one of which had 2 double beds for P1200 a night and could fit 4 people, good for a family.

We loved staying here, and may not have if Greenviews hadn't been booked, but I'm glad we got a chance to and would come back here in a heartbeat. There was a certain amount of 'wildlife' in our rooms however!!! Thank you to everyone at Ysobelle's...it was fun!

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written February 4, 2009

Beachfront cottages

Greenviews Resort: Clean, spacious and quiet

I had read through copious amounts of reviews for places to stay in Port Barton and Greenviews kept popping up all the time. I looked at their website and it did indeed sound very nice, but there are no photos of the cottages so I didn't really know what to expect. Fortunately, other VT members had stayed there and had uploaded their photos so I was able to get a view of the grounds of the resort, but still nothing about the cottages. So I have included photos for those, like me, who wanted to know where they would be sleeping! I have many more photos than VT will allow me to upload, so if you want to see more, just ask!

We were dropped off by a small bridge over a semi stagnant river (no smell!) by the jeepney we had arrived on and only had to walk about 30 seconds before we entered Greenviews. What a wonderful sight awaited us after a long dusty trip from Puerto Princesa! Beautiful gardens, flowers, trees, cottages and something I was dying for....quietness! All the cottages were booked (I had booked in advance as Dave said they were filling up fast as it was the Chinese New Year week holiday) so I was glad that we had somewhere to stay instead of walking up and down the beach looking for a place.

The staff here were knowledgeable about the area and were always polite and ready to help! I had a mango shake there which was super delicious and the food always looked great although we didn't eat there. We like to go out and try different places other than where we are staying, and being a resort, the prices were a little steeper than the smaller run places in the village proper.

The cottage we had was P900 and was good for 2 people. The rooms were clean and airy and they had a standing fan. Electricity was only from 6pm to midnight so make sure you get your camera and phone charged during this time!

Being at the end of the beach means less boats in the water, less noise and a section of the beach which was well and truly just ours!!! The sand right outside the resort was soft and white and they had a few sunbeds ready for us to use! The water at this end of the beach doesn't come in close which means you feel like you've walked for ages before the water even reaches your knees!!! So don't expect to be able to quickly run back in for anything you may have forgotten to bring out with you! I actually liked that it was shallow as I'm a bit of a baby about getting wet quickly when I go swimming..I like to do it in stages, so this was perfect for me!

The view from our cottage porch was lovely...the green grass, trees, butterflies, flowers and of course the sea...I couldn't really have asked for more! It was so serene in fact, that we booked for a second night! We would have ended up staying there the whole time if it hadn't been for the fact that a group of 8 were coming in on Day 3. But that was also ok because it made us try somewhere else which turned out to be equally wonderful!

I would just like to say to everyone there a huge thank you and we will definitely return one day!

• Related to: Beaches, Jungle and Rain Forest, Family Travel