Victoria Romasanta St. 4, Puerto Princesa, 5300, Philippines

Booking.com Agoda.com Despegar.com

• Makulit's Profile Photo

Defrauded in Palawan - Tourists Beware

I desperately want to warn as many people as possible about the Dolce Vita Hotel in Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines. Like most people, my wife and I saved our hard earned money for quite some time in order to go on "her" dream vacation. My wife was born and raised in Palawan and of course speaks the language fluently. First, the manager berated the clerk who checked us in (right in front of us) because she failed to inflate our room rate since I am an American! Ironically, it was not the clerk's fault because I always have my wife book the accomodations by herself. We were also outright lied to by the hotel staff. Before we checked into the Dolce Vita we asked whether they allow guests and more specifically we inquired about the use of the pool. We were told there was no problem having guests (my wife's family) visit us at the hotel and that they could absolutely use the pool. The only restriction was the 10 pm curfew for all guests.

The first night was uneventful and we managed to host a nice party for her family. The next day, however, we were told that a child had drowned in the pool (a terrible tragedy) and the pool would be off limits to all guests for the duration of our stay on the island. I am not going to comment on the exact details of this tragic accident BUT I do know for a fact that it occurred before we showed up and before we inquired (in person) about the hotel’s accommodations. We were blatantly lied to by the hotel staff – point blank – no excuses. In fact, they even admitted they had lied to us and apologized for it! My wife had not seen her family in several years and this was supposed to be a very special reunion.

The hotel and accommodations were adequate. No fridge but room service was prompt etc. However, since we lost an entire day and a considerable amount of money due to this incredibly frustrating experience I feel it is my duty to warn others. A 7,000 mile trip can be quite an undertaking and every moment at your destination is precious – especially in our situation. I understand they want to generate income but there is simply no excuse for treating guests this way. There are plenty of other hotels that will gladly treat you with respect and accommodate every reasonable request – just beware of Dolce Vita.

Unique Quality: Vegetation is out of control and there were huge spiders in the trees (right over head). Also, there were ants in both of the rooms we stayed in. Despite everything previously mentioned, I cannot deny the hotel is fairly new and the rooms were visually appealing.

More about Puerto Princesa

Live Starfish!Live Starfish!

the 2nd flr lobby infront of our roomthe 2nd flr lobby infront of our room

Simple, humble yet inviting ambience...Simple, humble yet inviting ambience...

bangkerows!..bangkerows!..

3D2N stay in Puerto Princess

by enail

Hi guyz! Really need your help. Me and 4 of my friends are going to puerto princesa next wednesday. We are all first-timers. Would appreciate your inputs on the following:

1) Affordable hotels/guesthouse/transient house that has room gud for 5 persons (we thinks its cheaper if we're on one room..hehe)

2) Get a travel agency or do the exploring on our own (we're adventurous, btw..hehe)?

3) If we're going to do it on our own, are there any public transpo going to the subterranean river (this is the highlight of our trip)? If not, how much are the rates for private vehicles? Are there vans for rent for groups of tourist, e.g. sharing the expense?

4) What other must-go and must-see places can you recommend?

5) And of course, what are the restos that must not be missed in PP?

6) Lastly, how much budget would be enough for this trip (e.g. the cheaper the better..hehe but not compromising the sights to see and food to taste! hehe)?

Thanks in advance

by asianbelle

1. Guess what you need is a small cottage. I'm not sure if they have, but try Casa Linda.

2. You can do the city tour on your own. If you course it through travel agency, it's about P800/pax half day. What I did, I rented a tricycle for whole day that cost me P500. Maybe you can rent a big trike or 2 trikes for a little more than P500.

3. There is a public transpo to Sabang (subterranean river), but I think there's only 2 trips so you have to make sure that you catch them. Otherwise, you may have to spend a night in Sabang. Going to the river, you need to rent a boat (don't know how much) plus pay the permits, etc. If you will rent a vehicle going to Sabang, might as well get the package tour of P1300/pax all in (land transpo, boat, permit, lunch and side trip to Vietville).

4. As part of city tour, go to Iwahig Penal Colony, Wildlife Conservation (crocodile farm), butterfly farm, Baker's Hill. Of course, don't miss the Honda Bay island hopping tour.

5. Ka Lui, Badjao, Kinamarikutan Cafe and another one which I can't recall. It's like their "gimik" place, Kinabutch or something.

7. Probably P5-6K per person would be enough.

by enail

Thanks a bunch asianbelle! Question still..hehe Where/what travel agency can we contact for 1.3k tour to the subterranean river?

Many thanks! =)

by asianbelle

Try Ellen's Travel and Tours. I don't have their contact number but you can "google" it.

You can also ask your hotel/inn to handle the arrangements for you. They normally have direct contacts to travel agencies. I stayed at Casa Linda and when I arrived, I requested the reception to assist me in looking for a trike to rent, to book the subterranean tour, etc.

by enail

ok then..we'll just inquire from our guesthouse. Additional inquiry po..Wouldd you know how much would it cost for a honda island hopping and how long it would take?

thanx!

by asianbelle

I think package is about P1200-P1300 for one day. Maybe you can do this on your own. Just take a trike to the wharf (forgot the name, but the trike drivers know it), then arrange for a boat, haggle for the price. Tell the boatman that you would prefer a half day tour only.

by enail

okhay! thanks asianbelle for all the help! looking forward to our PP getaway...

til d next adventure! =)

Travel Tips for Puerto Princesa

Sights Fit for A Princess

by purplefeet

"While in Puerto Princesa"

1. Book tours to the Underground River, Honday Bay Islands, Dos Palmas, and other interesting places.
2. Buy pasalubong of dried seafood, pearl earrings, t-shirts and sweetened cashew nuts from the public market for the best deals. It is usually just a tricycle away from most hotels/inns.

Puerto Princesa Adventure

by widjeje26

"Honda Bay"

Travel time was20 mins from the city going to the wharf. We bought some bread for fish feeding.
Honda Bay Island hopping consists of three islands or stops.

1st stop: Pambato Reef

We had snorkeling here but the water wasn't clear and there were too much corals.

2nd stop: Snake Island

This is where we had fish feeding and the water was very clear. There were too many fishes.

3rd stop: Pandan Beach

We had fish feeding again. The water was also very clear with white sand. We had underwater pics.

Comments