Boon Wah Hotel Singapore

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Boon Wah Hotel Singapore

Singapore slingSingapore sling

Me at the under water tunnel @ Sea World, SGMe at the under water tunnel @ Sea World, SG

Indian National Army Memorial, Near Pedang, SGIndian National Army Memorial, Near Pedang, SG

Siloso FortSiloso Fort

Anyone ever heard about/stayed at the Boon Wah Hotel/Hostel?

by CdnStrawberry

I know it won't be glamorous, but for a double private room w/ensuite, my bf and I will only pay about $100 for a three nights stay! Any comments, reviews, etc? Apparently it's near Little India and my aunt said that this isn't such a safe part of town. True or False?

Also, does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to cab from the airport to Little India?

And lastly, is the night safari worth going to?

Thaaaanks in advance!

Jen in Canada

Re: Anyone ever heard about/stayed at the Boon Wah Hotel/Hostel?

by zahid444

hi jen !

how r u ? hope fine. i was singapore several times for business purpose. little india is not bad place i also stay there. u find lot of tourist people there specially who r backpacker. if u r smart then nobody doing anything. after 11.00 at night cautious walk in the road if u alone. police r very helpful.

why u take cab i think u take mrt from airport on the way u change one train & take another one from other side.. its convinent also. when u arrive airport first take all brouhure about singapore from tourist deck. its help u lot. wish ur happy travel.

Re: Anyone ever heard about/stayed at the Boon Wah Hotel/Hostel?

by imstress

Singapore is a safe place even in Little India. Just avoid dark alleys if you are alone. I am not able to comment on the hotel bcos i hv never stayed there.

Taxi fare will cost about S$15.00. You can take the MRT from Changi Airport Terminal 2 and change another North East Line (NEL) Train at Dhoby Gaut MRT Station. Alight at Little India NEL Station.

Night Safari is worth going. Take a look at the tips in my Singapore Travel Page. You may find many more tips there.

Jen see u in Singapore soon.

Jen
i-am-stress

Thanks for all your help guys!

by CdnStrawberry

The reason why I want to take a taxi is because I think it will be a hassle to bring two pieces of luggage each on the MRT. But I will definitely try using this mode of transport to get around town!

In Singapore do you locals clutch your purses and keep them close to you all the time? I heard that there are lots of purse snatchings/pickpocketings/knife cuttings there. I'll have two travel belts to hide some money in, but I'm scared of having my cameras (my babies!) stolen out of my bag. Also, I'm a bit concerned that my bf is white! If I don't speak and I wear clothing from there, I doubt I would stand out as a tourist (I'm Chinese), but my boyfriend is blatantly white. Do you think that will be a problem both in Singapore and Malaysia?

Thanks again,
Jen

Re: Re: Thanks for all your help guys!

by YokuMoku

Singapore is a safe country. Do not worry too much.

It seems I will take a taxy too because dragging luggages to the Inn-Crowd will be a hassle.

You get a bargain for three nights, btw.

Nice cheap place to spend 1 night in Singapore

Hey,

We arrive in Singapore in the morning and leave very early the next day.
We need rec. for a nice and backpacker cheap place to stay.

RE: Nice cheap place to spend 1 night in Singapore

by SWFC_Fan

Hi

I enjoyed Sleepy Sam's (www.sleepysams.com).

It's cheap, clean, the staff are friendly and you get a good breakfast.

If you're moving on to Malaysia from there, it is also ideally located close to where many of the coaches leave from (Golden Mile complex).

If you're not, Bugis MRT station is only a short walk away so you can catch the MRT to the airport easily enough.

Enjoy Singapore!

Jonathan

RE: Nice cheap place to spend 1 night in Singapore

by DarkRay

Sleepy Sam's is an excellent backpacker's lodge with a very nice atmosphere around the entire place. Do note that some may not like the early morning and rather loud prayers from the mosque nearby (practically next door) though. There will be one during Fajr (Dawn) at 5.48am and another during Shorook (Sunrise) at 6:58.

Another 2 good ones around Bugis include The New 7th Storey Hotel (http://www.nsshotel.com) and Bugis Backpackers (http://www.bugisbackpackers.com). But some travellers are turned off by the fact that the latter is located on the 3rd storey and there are no elevators to it.

Hope this helps.... :-)

RE: RE: Nice cheap place to spend 1 night in Singapore

We will spend 3 days.
I understand it is better to be in little India rateher than Geylang in terms of distance to the center etc.
Is that true ?
I found a listing for Boon Wah Hotel Singapore for less than 50 S$ which is the same price or even less than a hostel. Where am I better off ?

RE: RE: Nice cheap place to spend 1 night in Singapore

by DarkRay

I personally think that Little India is better due to its closer proximity to Orchard. More importantly as well, Geylang (especially the "even" lorongs) is predominantly a red-light district.

I personally have no experience with Boon Wah Hotel, but have heard feedbacks from travellers who had stayed there before. From what I hear, they had mentioned that the hotel is very run down and is also used as a "love" hotel. Between Boon Wah and other accomodation options, they recommend the Inn Crowd (http://www.the-inncrowd.com) instead which is famous for their community and good service. A double room is available there for only S$48 per room per night. You may want to consider that.

Just my 2 cents.... :-)

Whats better Inn crowd or beetlebox ?

by ejoffe

Thanks for all the detailed replies BTW !!!

Boon Wah E-Mail Address

by sumanchak

Can anybody give me the contact email address of Boon Wah Hotel at little india, singapore?

RE: Boon Wah E-Mail Address

by mgmarcus

bwhotel@singnet.com.sg

Travel Tips for Singapore

Banking

by kissgurami

The local currency is Singapore dollars and cents. Notes come in denominations of SGD 2, SGD 5, SGD 10, SGD 20, SGD 50, SGD 100, SGD 500, SGD 1,000, and SGD 10,000.

Coins come in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents and SGD 1.

Banking hours are Monday to Friday: 10 am to 3 pm, and Saturday: 9.30 am to 1 pm (some banks are open until 3 pm). Sunday, 9.30 am to 3 pm (some banks in Orchard Road).

Most banks handle travellers' cheques and change foreign currencies. However, some banks do not have foreign exchange dealings on Saturday.

Passports are required when cashing travellers' cheques. A nominal commission may be charged.

Making friends with the locals

by phil_uk_net

Last time I was in Singapore (before Sars) I met loads of local cats living in the bushes down by Boat Quay.
On my latest trip I went back to reacquaint myself but could find only one, a cute little girl. It took quite a lot of coaxing to get her out from her home. I've been told that during the Sars crisis the authorities took the oppotunity to destroy thousands of the homeless cats. Poor things.
By the time I had made friends with this one she didn't want me to leave but I had to go.

Singapore National Day Parade

by robertgaz

Singapore celebrated its first National Day in 1966 one year after independence from Malaysia on 9 August 1965.

The National Day Parade 2008 (NDP 2008) was held at the Marina Bay Floating Stadium and it was the second time that the event was held in the Marina Bay area.

The National Day Parade has over the years since indepence become the biggest national event staged in Singapore.

The day includes thundering fly overs by fighter planes and helicopters from the Singapore Air Force and a dazzling fireworks display at night.

And to ensure that the event goes off to perfection on August the 9th, there are practise runs starting the month leading up to the actual day.

I was fortunate enough to be there to witness one of the practise runs and it was by no means a small affair.

All I can say is that the actual day must have been an awesome one!

Dress for the tropics indeed!

by snux_849

Light clothing as the weather can get real hot and sticky. Comfortable shoes as one will certainly do a lot of walking in Singapore. Mosquito repellant especially if you are going to Night Safari, the Zoo, or the Botanic Garden. Dengue is prevalent at this time. Bottled water!!!

Joo Chiat Road

by shawicortez

colorful shop houses and terrace houses. a trip here has portuguese architecture (?) similar to that of macau's. not normally found in travel books, this place is worth a visit. Take the East-West line of the mrt and alight at Paya Lebar.

Comments