Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel Singapore

Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore
Expedia.com Mercure Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Nice affordable hotel.

I was in Singapore for a combination of a business and a social visit. This hotel was at the right location for this purpose.

The location will not be the best for most Singapore visitors. It is not very near the city center, but if you enjoy local night life, I can surely recommend you to visit the East Coast area, which is at 5-10 minutes by taxi away from the hotel. Opposite of the hotel, there is a nice shopping mall with nice dinning facilities.

For travelers, it is also good, that the hotel is quite near the airport. This way it is a good hotel for passengers, who have to stay for a night in Singapore.

Unique Quality: Affordable for Singapore. It is clean and nice, one of the better Mercure hotels.

Directions: Opposite of Parkway Parade.

• nezz's Profile Photo

Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore

The GRAND MERCURE ROXY SINGAPORE as it is now known is one of the great secret gems in all of Singapore. My family has stayed at this hotel in May 2005 and again in Jan 2006 and both times we have enjoyed the stay tremendously. The staff are efficient but also very friendly, the service in all areas of the hotel are great.
    The rooms are spacious and very clean. The facilities provided for the cost of the rooms is truly amazing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who does not have to stay in the very centre of Singapore.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a shuttle bus that not only takes you free of charge to the airport on departure but on arrival you go to the Singapore tourist desk & they phone the hotel to come and collect you. The room rate included the best buffet breakfast you could imagine. All sorts of hot and cold foods. yummy...The hotel pool area is really well designed and there is a bar/ restaurant on that level too. The hotel has a spa & conference rooms too. All the staff are great and we were really impressed with the quick response to questions we emailed them. Just across the road is the Parkway Parade Shopping Centre a multi storyed shopping complex with everything you could need. So supermarkets , shops, food halls, takeaways etc.. are close by. Buses run regularly from the street in front of the hotel & the main street behind but we find it very easy to just hop in a taxi as its very cheap, and the drivers always act as tour guides....

Directions: Not too far from east coast parkway only 20 minutes from the airport.

More about Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel Singapore

Best Dining in Singapore Hotels

by TripAdvisor Member onlysue88

I am sending in my review to compliment the excellent and courteous service I was accorded with, while dining at the Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel located in Singapore on Nov 13, 2007.

The Banquet Director, Mr Ken, whom I've known while having my buffet dinner with my husband, was indeed very courteous and attentive to all his diners' needs, as he and one of his waiter actually took turns to walk around all dining tables, to watch out for diner's request etc. He even went to the extent of refilling some longan fruits for my husband personally, when he noticed that there was only a few pcs left on the buffet table.

I was impressed with Mr Ken's attentiveness and he even gave us a very good discount, when I told him that we are not carrying the Amex Card, as Amex Card does provide a 25% discount.

Anyway, I am writing in to compliment the Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel Singapore, for having employed Mr Ken and his team, which is definitely an asset to the hotel industry!

Pleasant diversion

by TripAdvisor Member flossyfizzdog

As we chose to stay 24hours in Singapore on our way back from the UK, we went with the Roxy's luxury option of the Royal Club.

After a rather drawn-out check in procedure, we had just enough time to pop into the Club Lounge to enjoy the complimentary hors d'oevres and "cocktails" (beer, wine, basic mixed drinks).

Our room was spacious, clean (stains on the carpet) and comfortable, and we had partially obscured views of the harbour. The breakfast buffet in the Club room was very good, and with personal service and attention usually lacking at a buffet!

Our room was quiet, and we were also granted an extended checkout time of 3pm, which enabled us to take full advantage of its position across the road from a good-sized shopping mall and market, as well as the pool area.

A couple of cautions:

We received two vouchers for drinks at the Level 4 bar. The vouchers stipulated house wine, beer, juice or soft drink. My husband ordered a beer and a mineral water. Beer no problem, mineral water (which was a bottle of Perrier), and we were charged S$9.50 for the water! The barman told us the voucher was only good for wine or beer. I assume it would have covered soft drink "on tap", but I was gob-smacked at the price!

Secondly, we were offered the complimentary shuttle to the airport which leaves every half hour on the half hour. You have to book, so we did so for 5pm. We arrived at 5 to 5 and discovered (at 5 past when we asked where it was) that the 5pm shuttle had left. Without us, and another party, who had also booked. The bellboy insisted we couldn't have been there on time, and we ended up having to take a taxi.

Nevertheless, these were minor drawbacks and I would stay here again for an overnight (and forget mineral water!) for its convenience to the airport and its quiet location.

Great Suite

by TripAdvisor Member STEVEFR

I stayed in a suite on the top floor of this hotel with which was spacious and comprised of a large lounge area. Seperate bed room with bed quality closer to a sofitel. Kitchen, and a bathroom. Only downside was no seperate walk in shower just the normal bath with wall fitting. 2 large telvisions and good view towards the sea though partially blocked by building in front. Excellant quality breakfast included in exclusive 17th floor eating area again with views.
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. 2 shopping centres near by and excellant food market just across the road to the left for great local food at local prices. Airport shuttle but taxi also very good value or bus link to central town area or with link to MRT.
Pool was slightly small but nice just the same. Drinks in the bars were over priced but that is the case anywhere in Singapore... Get over the road to where the locals eat and drink.. It is the best option with great food.

Great for a stopover

by TripAdvisor Member Haggis45

We stayed here for a night on our way to the UK with our 2 kids. Arriving in at 6pm after a 10 min taxi ride, check in was smooth and we headed straight for the pool. Great area with a sports bar that opens out to the decking around the pool - it works. We ordered some snacks while the kids swam and we patted ourselves on the back for being so relaxed and not being back on the plane for a 13 hour leg to arrive at Heathrow at 5am.

No fault of the hotel but there was an earth tremor and we had to evacuate the hotel until checked by the fire service. Leaving our yummy snacks behind, we waited on the street in our bathers and towels. the staff were excellent bringing water and robes for us.

The room had 2 double beds (not Queen) so it was a litlle squishy, and the beds were quite hard and the pillows flat. Bathroom clean and shower good.

Breakfast the next morning was as expected, all you would want - the kids gave it the thumbs up. Check out was fine. They do have a shuttle bus to the airport but we decided to jump in a taxi. Ready for the 9am flight to London rested, arriving at 3pm not completely shattered.

We booked on Asia rooms website and for what we wanted, the hotel suited. If we had any longer than a 12 hour stopover, we would head to the city, but for the price would recommend to others. The location was good and used the shopping mall across the road which was open until 10pm.

Great Location for beach weekend

by TripAdvisor Member Yom07

I spent a week end in the Roxy Mercure Hotel, looking to get out of Bangkok where I’m living. We booked that hotel more or less by accident because there was no room available in our first choice hotels. Basically, it was kind of luck as the hotel and the location where perfectly matching what we were looking for.

Rooms:
We booked a room at the executive floor. The room was big, clear and the bathroom size was great as well. There’s an executive lounge on the floor where you can have breakfast, snacks and drinks along the day. Be aware you will be charged $50 per night for an extra bed in the room. Not mentioned anywhere on the
Accor website.

Location:
The hotel is located on the east coast, quite far from the city center. However, it’s at walking distance from the east coast park. Great location to ride a bicycle or practice roller. There’s a shopping mall on the other side of the road and a food center as well. No need to go to the city center at all, and even though, there are plenty of bus or taxi.

Conclusion:
This hotel is perfect to stay in Singapore, out of the crowded city center for a week end break. Not too far from the airport, next to the beach with a lot of shops and restaurants around. Service was good.

Barely adequate stay.

by TripAdvisor Member HarryKensington

We stayed at the Roxy for 2 nights. The courtesy bus was very convenient if a little worn. We had a lovely greeting from the doorman/porter but the tone changed at reception. The receptionist barely raised a smile, she queried something wiith a colleague and he came over and spoke in his own language (that's fair enough) but without so much as a nod to us. There was no explaination as to the problem once the man had resolved it. We had booked a junior suite comprising of a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and sitting room. The room
was just okay. Definately in need of a makeover which seemed to be happening in the corridor outside our room. It appeared dingy and we were reluctant to hang up our clothes and also put out our toiletries on the bathroom worktop. Maybe it was clean but the dimly lit rooms made it all look worse. Showers of dust appeared in the air
when my wife closed the curtains- not very good for her asthma. We realised around 11pm that we were situated next to the lifts. With the constant noise and after attempting to get to sleep my wife phoned reception at midnight to complain and asked to be moved. They said all their other junior suites were full and they were all beside
the lifts as well. She told them we would see reception the following
day. The next day we had booked a morning cookery lesson at a nearby private home (the main reason for staying at the Roxy) and decided to see reception when we returned. I left my wife doing some shopping
after the cookery and went to return to the room but found that the key did not work. I trudged back down to reception only to be told that as we were moving out the key had been cancelled. We had decided that morning to stay put as we had some ear plugs wiith us and only had to get through one more night before moving on. No apology was offered for either the noise or the blocked key. Key problem now resolved I met my wife at the shopping centre across the road, which as reported before is very good. We had a lovely meal in a Japanese restaurant, the staff were lovely and very friendly. It was a pity they didn't work at the Roxy!

The other thing we must mention is the breakfast. We went to the makeshiift breakfast room- the other was being renovated. It was dark, dingy and dirty. Tables left unlaid, lack of cups and saucers. My wife queued for an omelet and was so long being served I had finished my breakfast before she got back to the table. Whilst waiting in the queue to request an omelet a few Japanese men came up and were served before her by the Japenese (I think) egg chef. Others were leaving the queue because it took so long.

The hotel is situated close to the East Coast Park and has some wonderful old shophouses to look at on Joo Chiat Road. You can do all that from a hotel in the city as it doen't take long to get there. We were very dissapointed with the Roxy, it felt grubby, unfriendly except for the doormen and a few staff in the downstairs coffee bar. It was very dated. The improvised breakfast room was awful! A totally impersonal hotel, we were given the impression that their guests aren't important to them. They couln't be bothered. I wouldn't advise my friends or family to stay there but maybe an enemy! Don't stay is my advice, we booked the Novotel Clarke Quay after the Roxy and that was fabulous, I'll review that one soon.

Very short but nice

by TripAdvisor Member spyke5

Had an overnight layover so this was a great place that had airport pick up and a late check out. The room came with a breakfast buffet and all the staff was very helpful as well as nice. It is getting remodeled right now so there are some older looking rooms and halls but for the short stay that I had it didn't matter much. Easy to grab a cab here to anyplace quick and cheep. Close to bus too.

by anom

Hi
we are a family of 4 - will be staying at grand Mercure roxy,singapore in late december.
Does anyone know how convenient this hotel is to Sentosa Island,Zoo etc.

thanks in anticipation.

Re: hOTEL gRAND mERCURE ROXY, SINGAPORE FOR 4 NIGHTS - CONVENIENCE,PROXIMITY TO SIGHTS

by lynnehamman

This hotel appears to be on the East Coast Road- so not very close to Sentosa & Zoo. The taxi service is good in Singapore= and the MRT is also excellent. One can get into city centre by bus or MRT. To get to Sentosa, there is a bus from Orchard Road which can take you to embarkation point for the cable-car to Sentosa.
Also in Orchard Road there is a visitors centre that has excellent free maps and guide-books.
The Singapore Hop on/Hop Off bus is also very convienent for getting around the interesting tourist spots. It does a continuous loop, stopping also in Orchard Road. Get more info & tickets from visitors centre.

by anom

Hi
thank you for the input.
sincerely appreciate it.