Hotel 1929

See Amenities
litekimchi's Profile Photo

I will come back!

by written on January 17, 2006

Yes, the rooms are very small. I was still a little bit surprised even if I've been forewarned and have seen countless pictures. It was small, and one had little room to manoeuver. The standard can only comfortably fit one person.

The bathroom, too, was small. And it had glass walls. Unless you're travelling with a partner, I would not recommend these to parents with children or friends (unless you're very comfortable with each other). There is very little room to manoeuver when taking a shower, but they do provide both an overhead and a telephone shower.

But the negatives aside, I love this place. It was warm and cozy. My bed was cozy, and I had a radio/cd player (that doubled as an alarm clock) on my small bedside table. Overhead, I had a small reading light. The TV was indeed a flat screen; it was small, but it fit the room quite well. On a small table opposite my bed had a speaker phone, a very small refrigerator (it was so tiny it could only fit a can of coke and a bottle of water!), a heating kettle, and some coffee and tea.

Breakfast was OK, it was nothing exceptional. But I was not expecting much, as this is a bit of a budget boutique. On the buffet table was a choice of two types of bread (small croissants and sliced cream bread, which you can toast), two kinds of cereal, two kinds of yogurt (didn't find out if they were homemade), a limited selection of fruits, orange juice, milk, tea and coffee.

This kind lady who was in charge of breakfast would courteously ask everyone how s/he preferred his/her eggs. You can choose between fried or scrambled. After a few minutes, you will be served your plate of eggs with a small serving of pork and beans, a strip of bacon and a small fried potato cut in half. It's true about the salt and pepper shakers--but I didn't need to fight with anyone for it as I had my breakfast quite early on a Saturday morning.

Embers opens at 7:30am for breakfast. They do serve breakfast quite late, and you're more likely to miss it if you have an early morning flight.

Unique Quality: I was recently in Singapore for a business trip. I decided to extend a day and stay at Hotel 1929. I've heard about good (and the occassional bad) reviews. I was not at all disappointed and pleasantly surprised. Previously, I stayed at the Swissotel, but my 1929 room was more memorable as it was cozy and unique.

It's best quality? A toss between the staff and the location.

The staff are very friendly and very professional--from the front desk down to the cleaning lady. They contribute greatly to the welcoming atmosphere of the hotel. They always greet you with a smile, something I never really felt at the Swissotel. Hazley, the receptionist, was exceptional. He allowed me to check in early (at about a little past 1pm, published check in was 2 or 3pm) and to check out a bit later (2pm, even if published check out is 12pm) with ease and no extra charge. He was very accommodating and would effectively answer all of my queries.

Location was perfect, especially now when they're preparing for the New Year. Only five minutes away is Chinatown's colorful shops/street market (Trengganu, Sago, Pagoda, Smith--the Food Street). It's the place to be at night. It's also a place to buy cheap souvenirs. Most go for 3 for $10, like shirts and other trinkets. I did manage to score clay magnets for 3 for $5. Those Singapore flower pendants and earrings go for 3 for $10, although I did see a stall selling it for 4 for $10.

I had a small balcony which overlooked Keong Saik Road. It was wonderful, the street was generally quiet--except during prayer time in the nearby hindu (?) temple. Next to my hotel were these mom and pop eateries--good but cheap Chinese food.

I only stayed a night, but I will definitely come back!

The Chinatown MRT is also only a 10 minutes away. I checked with the map, though, and found that the Outram station is supposed to be nearer, but I could never find it. In any case, the MRT's entrance along Pagoda street is a sight to behold. It also has an upstairs garden, which is worthwhile to see.

Directions: Taxis don't know this hotel. I suggest you bring with you a copy of the address or a map.

If you're taking the MRT, exit either Outram Station or Chinatown Station. Use the MRT only if you have a few things with you.

justagirlinasia's Profile Photo

Best Boutique Hotel

by written on June 26, 2005

I threw yet another party in 1929's suite. 1929 is superbly cool! It's a stone's throw away from good old Chinatown and because in Singapore, it's really not a problem getting around, sometimes it doesn't really matter where you stay.

Unique Quality: The absolute coolest thing about 1929? The suite has an amazing outdoor rainshower bath. 1929 has designer chairs in every room and I just love the interior of this hotel. It's not like any others I've seen!

Eurasian68's Profile Photo

Funky Boutique Hotel

by written on December 5, 2004

If you are looking for a funky hotel, this is it!The beautiful building of year 1929 ( a masterpiece) and its tasteful design of this hotel cannot be overseen. The rooms are pretty small comparing to to other hotels in S´pore. I stayed there for 2 weeks in a suite (only suites have bath tubs, and my bath tub was IN THE GARDEN!!)! Very extraordinary:-)
Ok, staffs are not as "professional" as in other international hotel chains, but they make you feel homely and they are very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is situated near (within walking mins) MRT stations "Chinatown" and "Outram".
Furthermore, its location enables you to go clubbing within minutes of walk away. There are several gay and lesbian bars just around the corner (Neil Road), and of course lots and lots of straight bars:-)) for heteros *smile*
Not to forget the many hawker centers nearby (eg. People´s Park). There is also small but very yummy hawker center right around the corner which opens almost 24 hours a day!
The Pagoda Street provides different souveniors articles and shops which is also minutes away.
The hotel´s only restaurant (Italien food) is famous for its excellent cuisine. I was too busy eating local food....!

Unique Quality: The most outstanding characteristic of this hotel is it´s funky interior design. The owner of the hotel is a chair collector. therefore the hotel is also known as "The Chair Hotel".
There is a jacuzzi located on the 2nd floor.
If you didn´t bring your own notebook, you can always borrow one at the reception if you need to go online.
Only suites have a bath tub! Mine was situated in the garden. There is no electricity in the garden, but they provide you with lots of tea candles. Very romantic!!!
The housekeeper also fills the tub everyday with fresh flowers (no surcharge!). A very tasteful note...

Directions: Chinatown, right opposite a beautiful Hindu Temple.

1920s !! Retro !!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 23, 2004

had a fren who stayed there. they took a suite with a huge outdoor terrace n a outdoor bathtub.

Words of advice
- it has quite a number of corners which eats up the ceiling.
- as for the restroom it is a little small as the toilet n shower in cramped in a area.
- it can a little crampy if u r more than 1.8m
- there wasn't a wardrobe
- the desk isn't very big. . TV is hung on the wall. LCD type. prob 15-17 inch.

Unique Quality: people go there for the unique style n for it's individuality. it's a boutique hotel n it's very near the chinatown n gd food.

Directions: 50 Keong Saik Road Singapore 089154

Shino~'s Profile Photo

Cool Hotel Design

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 27, 2003

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. One of the major reason of why I chose this hotel is because its unique design really impressed me. Plus it has various design of chairs. It really did attract me to stay there.

Their hotel service is nice and friendly. When you enter the restaurant to take dinner, waiteress or waiter will greet and ask if you want scramble or sunny set breakfast. Though I'm having the same breakfast for two days, but I enjoy their courteous, I feel very comfortable.

Unique Quality: The hotel is very near to Chinatown, and the nearest MRT is Outram Park station and Chinatown station. You can walk to the MRT stations with walking distance.

You can enjoy Chinese food nearby a food court center in a plaza.

Nearby Hotel 1929

• Restaurant
  • Room Service
  • Free High Speed Internet

Singapore Travel Forum

Need advice about Singapore, Singapore? Visit the Travel Forum for Singapore and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Singapore hotel reviews