50 Keong Saik Road, Singapore, 089154, Singapore

Agoda.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• litekimchi's Profile Photo

I will come back!

Yes, the rooms are very small. I was still a little bit surprised even if I've been forewarned and have seen countless pictures. It was small, and one had little room to manoeuver. The standard can only comfortably fit one person.

The bathroom, too, was small. And it had glass walls. Unless you're travelling with a partner, I would not recommend these to parents with children or friends (unless you're very comfortable with each other). There is very little room to manoeuver when taking a shower, but they do provide both an overhead and a telephone shower.

But the negatives aside, I love this place. It was warm and cozy. My bed was cozy, and I had a radio/cd player (that doubled as an alarm clock) on my small bedside table. Overhead, I had a small reading light. The TV was indeed a flat screen; it was small, but it fit the room quite well. On a small table opposite my bed had a speaker phone, a very small refrigerator (it was so tiny it could only fit a can of coke and a bottle of water!), a heating kettle, and some coffee and tea.

Breakfast was OK, it was nothing exceptional. But I was not expecting much, as this is a bit of a budget boutique. On the buffet table was a choice of two types of bread (small croissants and sliced cream bread, which you can toast), two kinds of cereal, two kinds of yogurt (didn't find out if they were homemade), a limited selection of fruits, orange juice, milk, tea and coffee.

This kind lady who was in charge of breakfast would courteously ask everyone how s/he preferred his/her eggs. You can choose between fried or scrambled. After a few minutes, you will be served your plate of eggs with a small serving of pork and beans, a strip of bacon and a small fried potato cut in half. It's true about the salt and pepper shakers--but I didn't need to fight with anyone for it as I had my breakfast quite early on a Saturday morning.

Embers opens at 7:30am for breakfast. They do serve breakfast quite late, and you're more likely to miss it if you have an early morning flight.

Unique Quality: I was recently in Singapore for a business trip. I decided to extend a day and stay at Hotel 1929. I've heard about good (and the occassional bad) reviews. I was not at all disappointed and pleasantly surprised. Previously, I stayed at the Swissotel, but my 1929 room was more memorable as it was cozy and unique.

It's best quality? A toss between the staff and the location.

The staff are very friendly and very professional--from the front desk down to the cleaning lady. They contribute greatly to the welcoming atmosphere of the hotel. They always greet you with a smile, something I never really felt at the Swissotel. Hazley, the receptionist, was exceptional. He allowed me to check in early (at about a little past 1pm, published check in was 2 or 3pm) and to check out a bit later (2pm, even if published check out is 12pm) with ease and no extra charge. He was very accommodating and would effectively answer all of my queries.

Location was perfect, especially now when they're preparing for the New Year. Only five minutes away is Chinatown's colorful shops/street market (Trengganu, Sago, Pagoda, Smith--the Food Street). It's the place to be at night. It's also a place to buy cheap souvenirs. Most go for 3 for $10, like shirts and other trinkets. I did manage to score clay magnets for 3 for $5. Those Singapore flower pendants and earrings go for 3 for $10, although I did see a stall selling it for 4 for $10.

I had a small balcony which overlooked Keong Saik Road. It was wonderful, the street was generally quiet--except during prayer time in the nearby hindu (?) temple. Next to my hotel were these mom and pop eateries--good but cheap Chinese food.

I only stayed a night, but I will definitely come back!

The Chinatown MRT is also only a 10 minutes away. I checked with the map, though, and found that the Outram station is supposed to be nearer, but I could never find it. In any case, the MRT's entrance along Pagoda street is a sight to behold. It also has an upstairs garden, which is worthwhile to see.

Directions: Taxis don't know this hotel. I suggest you bring with you a copy of the address or a map.

If you're taking the MRT, exit either Outram Station or Chinatown Station. Use the MRT only if you have a few things with you.

• justagirlinasia's Profile Photo

Best Boutique Hotel

I threw yet another party in 1929's suite. 1929 is superbly cool! It's a stone's throw away from good old Chinatown and because in Singapore, it's really not a problem getting around, sometimes it doesn't really matter where you stay.

Unique Quality: The absolute coolest thing about 1929? The suite has an amazing outdoor rainshower bath. 1929 has designer chairs in every room and I just love the interior of this hotel. It's not like any others I've seen!

• Eurasian68's Profile Photo

Funky Boutique Hotel

If you are looking for a funky hotel, this is it!The beautiful building of year 1929 ( a masterpiece) and its tasteful design of this hotel cannot be overseen. The rooms are pretty small comparing to to other hotels in S´pore. I stayed there for 2 weeks in a suite (only suites have bath tubs, and my bath tub was IN THE GARDEN!!)! Very extraordinary:-)
    Ok, staffs are not as "professional" as in other international hotel chains, but they make you feel homely and they are very friendly and helpful.
    The hotel is situated near (within walking mins) MRT stations "Chinatown" and "Outram".
    Furthermore, its location enables you to go clubbing within minutes of walk away. There are several gay and lesbian bars just around the corner (Neil Road), and of course lots and lots of straight bars:-)) for heteros *smile*
    Not to forget the many hawker centers nearby (eg. People´s Park). There is also small but very yummy hawker center right around the corner which opens almost 24 hours a day!
    The Pagoda Street provides different souveniors articles and shops which is also minutes away.
    The hotel´s only restaurant (Italien food) is famous for its excellent cuisine. I was too busy eating local food....!

Unique Quality: The most outstanding characteristic of this hotel is it´s funky interior design. The owner of the hotel is a chair collector. therefore the hotel is also known as "The Chair Hotel".
    There is a jacuzzi located on the 2nd floor.
    If you didn´t bring your own notebook, you can always borrow one at the reception if you need to go online.
    Only suites have a bath tub! Mine was situated in the garden. There is no electricity in the garden, but they provide you with lots of tea candles. Very romantic!!!
    The housekeeper also fills the tub everyday with fresh flowers (no surcharge!). A very tasteful note...

Directions: Chinatown, right opposite a beautiful Hindu Temple.

• 1920s !! Retro !!

had a fren who stayed there. they took a suite with a huge outdoor terrace n a outdoor bathtub.

Words of advice
    - it has quite a number of corners which eats up the ceiling.
    - as for the restroom it is a little small as the toilet n shower in cramped in a area.
    - it can a little crampy if u r more than 1.8m
    - there wasn't a wardrobe
    - the desk isn't very big. . TV is hung on the wall. LCD type. prob 15-17 inch.

Unique Quality: people go there for the unique style n for it's individuality. it's a boutique hotel n it's very near the chinatown n gd food.

Directions: 50 Keong Saik Road Singapore 089154

• Shino~'s Profile Photo

Cool Hotel Design

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. One of the major reason of why I chose this hotel is because its unique design really impressed me. Plus it has various design of chairs. It really did attract me to stay there.

Their hotel service is nice and friendly. When you enter the restaurant to take dinner, waiteress or waiter will greet and ask if you want scramble or sunny set breakfast. Though I'm having the same breakfast for two days, but I enjoy their courteous, I feel very comfortable.

Unique Quality: The hotel is very near to Chinatown, and the nearest MRT is Outram Park station and Chinatown station. You can walk to the MRT stations with walking distance.

You can enjoy Chinese food nearby a food court center in a plaza.

More about Hotel 1929

Small is not enough, it is TINY!

by msmm about Hotel 1929

It is an overated hotel a short walk from Chinatown. The room is tiny but the bed is really comfortable though. The bathroom in my standard single room is smaller than a pool table that you stand in front of the toilet to shower. The jacuzzi is quite a nice feature.

However with that room rate I could have stayed Furama instead (with a proper shower-room).

A Very Unique and Interesting Hotel

by ZENDER about Hotel 1929

I stayed at this very interesting and unique hotel which is made up of several Chinatown shophouses tastefully renovated into a small boutique hotel; when it was just opened.
And I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Although service could have had been much better, it is still good considered that it just opened then. Well, there is a very small pool at the top of the hotel but it is a pool with an interesting view since it gives you a perspective of a city's skyline especially of the roofs of Chinatown..hehe.
The rooms are all very unique in their own ways as is the hotel lobby...this is because the hotel's owner uses his personal collection of chairs..yes..chairs..chairs with personality, chairs with unique characteristics to be a central focus of the hotel's interior decor.
Oh yes, it must be stated that there is only ONE restaurant in this Hotel 1929 and it is a happening eating place especially in the evenings. But why restrict yourself to that eating outlet when the hotel is in the vicinity of Chinatown...go out and try out the many eating places in Chinatown.
This hotel is thus a good base to start exploring the heart of Chinatown.

Hotel 1929Hotel 1929

Hotel 1929Hotel 1929

by Eurasian68

Any comments on Hotel 1929 in Chinatown? I have booked already, was it a good choice?

Thanks.

by dixonchan

Rooms are small. So if you intend to add a bed for triple sharing, I highly discourage it.

But nice location with the MRT nearby. Located pretty centrally.

by LuvNature

you obviously have check out their website. If you have not ---- www.hotel1929.com

On location, it is situated in Chinatown. Near the MRT (subway, or metro). Very easy to go all places of interest.

On the hotel, it is very popular and HIP with Retro and funky furnishing. Room is rather small but the better room (more expensive one) have open air bathtub. Most will like it. Look at their website and you will see a lot of magazines have featured them.

by ammy28

yeah nice location,nearby Outram Park MRT Station. I stayed next door to Hotel1929,Royal Peacock Hotel.

by Eurasian68

Big Hello to all of you, thanks for your response.
Yes, I realised the room are pretty small, but since I am travelling alone, I didn´t mind as the hotel seem to be so HIP *laugh*
Honestly, I booked the suite with the bathtub in the garden, which I am very, very curious about it already!! They also offered to provide rose petals in the tub when I arrive, WOW *smile*
The contact with the hotel also seem to be very friendly. and they were very patient with me....

by ammy28

Oh my lord! Please tell me when you are back how was the hotel ,services and everything pls!!!!pls!! It sounds so fabulous to have a rose and all! If they could do all things you reguested and the room in in garden like that,I would stay there for my next S'pore trip!!!

by Eurasian68

You can count on it that I will write a report about this trip! BTW, the suite only costs net S$165 per night (apx. 80 Euros!), which is why I am so generous to myself:-) If you compare the prices with other hotels on the island, I don´t think I have made a bad choice.

Since I am leaving my kids and dogs and everything at home, I intend to pamper myself with all kinds of goodies. After all this is my first trip alone in ages!

I also intend to try out yoga classes and cooking classes during this trip. Would also want to learn more about buddhism and meditation (all the stuff that one never has time to do here at home) during my 2 week´s stay, in order to gather some positv energy when I get back.

Will do my best to write an interesting report:-)

Comments