Lavendar Of Bugis

My husband at the RafflesMy husband at the Raffles

MSEUF Engineering batch'04MSEUF Engineering batch'04

Baby Stroller in Buses

by Prettyfuljan

Hi! Are baby strollers allowed to get in buses? Do 1-yr olds have to pay fares for Buses and MRT? Thank you!

by Mozumbus

bookmark

by xdaliv

(frm my research to visit S'pore with my 1 year old and from friends reports)

Official line: You have to fold the stroller before boarding a bus.
Unless you have a driver with a kind heart and the bus is empty with standing room and not during rush hour, you probably dont have too. Rarely does it happen since the LAW requires folding of stroller.

For MRT, open stroller is allowed if it is not rush hour. and lifts are available. Seen this myself when i was there.

As for fares on boths. it depends on your childs HEIGHT!. yup height. weird right? so check his/her height right before you travel.

Children up to 0.9 m in height and accompanied by a fare-paying passenger may travel free. Children above 0.9 m and below 1.2 m in height are eligible for concessionary travel without a concession card. Passengers who are 1.2m and above in height will need to possess a valid concession ez-link card to be eligible for concessionary travel.

TIP: Have EXACT fare. Seriously, the scowl the driver would give you if you don't, brrrrr. You have to get off the bus, get change and then catch another bus. ...and that happened when i was obviously pregnant.

by Mozumbus

thanks for the knowledge xdaliv :)

your tip regadring Exact fare is worth making an official tip!

by Prettyfuljan

thanks for the information. great help for us. now i will have to get a stroller that's light and easy to fold...

Travel Tips for Singapore

Discounts on public transports and other things

by Arfah

If you go to Singapore (especially not planning to drive or to get a car there) I would really suggest you get the Singapore Tourist Pass. It was really helpful during my trip. I don't have to keep on buying tickets, instead just tap the card at the public transport gate reader...no hassle at all.

The pass give you unlimited rides on almost all public transport system (MRT, LRT and basic bus services). You can buy the pass at a few places such as the Transit Link ticket office at Changi International Airport...open at 12pm, 3.45pm, 4.45pm and 7.30pm, the one at Orchard Road is operational from 10am - 9pm daily while the office at City Hall MRT Station operates from 9 am - 9 pm daily. Other places you can get this pass are at Chinatown, Raffles Place, Ang Mo Kio, Harbour Front and also Bugis MRT Station.

You can choose a one day pass sold at $8, 2 days pass $26 and 3 days pass cost $34. Upon purchase of the pass you shall be charged $10 as the pass deposit (refundable - so long as you returned it within 5 days of issuance).

The pass validity will depend on the duration of days selected (if you choose a 1 day pass, then the pass is only valid for 1 day starting at the time of issuance). If you're planning to take the public transport and will be on the move almost all the time...this pass will definitely be very useful because it's much cheaper than buying tickets at the stations. During my trip...I bought a 1 day pass and used it from morning to night...took ride on the MRT more than 20 times...returned it just before going home and got back my $10....which means I only paid $8 for so many MRT rides...really worth it.

FIRST BEACH VISIT IN SINGAPORE

by mamasan69

Even though this was my first visit to Singapore and I'm no expert; I think many of the sites I was taken to including Sentosa would be a nice start for anybody visiting here. I really had many good memories of Singapore once I returned to Bangkok; mainly because Singapore is so clean and quiet in comparison. However, even though I enjoyed all the activities I did, the beach near the end of my trip was a very good memory. Like many of the places I saw on this trip, the beach was very clean and seemed to have many things for people to do. Everthing here on Sentosa seemed to me that it was very organized even though it was busy.
I spent the whole day here and when I go back for a return visit to Singapore, I plan to come back again for more.

Accomodation and Eating

by meteerna

Great food! Don't worry at all and do not bother cooking by yourself to save money. It can be very reasonably priced, delicious and easy to find at every corner.

However, it is not easy to find cheap accomodation. You better check before you arrive there.

Sit by Lotus pond at Botanic Gardens

by Fudge

This is a wonderful lake (Symphony lake) situated in the heart of the Botanic Gardens> it is actually nearer from the main entrance at Cluny gate where the taxi stand is.

You can have a lil picnic or just read or walk or lie down and let the lotus flowers smile at your soul. Also remember to check out Swan Lake. Here you will catch a glimpse of the legendary white swans that have been occupying these spaces for as long as i can remember of my 20 odd years in Singapore.

There used to be black swans as well, but my latest trip there two weeks back revealed only white swans.

Plus it's Singapore and the amount of upkeep they do here, mostly brings abt change upon change, so i wont be surprised if after these white swans, some other species takes its place!

For pics of Swan Lake, click on the other pics below main pic. Cheers!

DURIANS

by RoyJava

No secret I do love durian! Famous as well hated in the enitre Orient my mom loved the fruit when pregnant of me. I love the smell, I love the taste, I love the looks! See >>>

BIGBENDA - Fruitlover Number 1 It is quite remarkable all of my friends, includes the fashion ones, do not like durian. So when possible they stay far away as I sneak to the hawkers to enjoy my delicious durian ... having it for my very own (well, when mom's in the neighbourhood ... ... ...)

DURIAN - KING OF FRUIT