Singapore Hotels

Our Members Say

• HebaM profile photo HebaM
  • Reviews: 125

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

River City Inn: Hostel from hell!

First of all, this hostel wasn’t my first choice. I just ended up there after the other one was fully booked. I only decided to give it a shot because of the location and the high rating in Hostel World.
The only good thing about this place is the location.
Now for the bad things:
- There’s no elevator, so you have to drag your heavy luggage to the 4th floor all by yourself.
- You have to take off your shoes and place them in a bucket before entering the hostel.
- The entire hostel is just one small apartment. I was staying in a 9 bed female dorm; the room is basic with no window, very dull and cramped.
- They turn off the A/C in the dorm from 8:00 am till 6:00 pm. Once, I had to beg them to leave it on for just one hour because it was too hot, and they did after giving me a lecture.
- They don’t change the sheets or the pillow cases during your stay.
- No privacy whatsoever! The washing up area/sink is next to the kitchen, dining table,reception and common area. So while you’re eating in the dining table, expect to watch people brushing their teeth. And you can’t eat inside your dorm because it’s not allowed.
- The bathroom area is not that clean.
- The owner of the place once entered without knocking into my female dorm room at 7:00 am just to scold me for eating inside!
- Such a noisy place! I couldn’t sleep the first night from all the noise.
- Forget about feeling welcomed, most of the stuff is unfriendly except one – Adrianne; he is the only nice person in that place.
- I am not gonna say you get what you pay for because I didn’t get anything other than a bad treatment. In fact, I felt like I am staying in a prison not a hostel from all that ridiculous rules and treatment. All I can see is that the people who run that place are trying to save money at our expense.
Expect to be scolded if:
- You forget to take off your shoes
- Eat inside the dorm
- Try to take a photo of the place
- Eat more than one slice of toast at breakfast
- Spend too much time in the shower
- Complain about the fact that they turn off the A/C during the day
Bottom line, I am not gonna stay in that place ever again, no matter what!

Absolutely NOTHING!

• Written September 12, 2013

9 beds female dorm

• SWFC_Fan profile photo SWFC_Fan
  • Reviews: 1283

Soluxe Inn: Good value, modern hotel next to Little India MRT

My girlfriend and I stayed at Soluxe Inn for 3 nights during our visit to Singapore in May 2013.

We booked our stay through www.travelrepublic.co.uk and paid £63 per night for a double room with no breakfast.

We paid by debit card in advance of our stay.

This was my fourth visit to Singapore and on previous visits I have travelled alone and stayed in simple rooms around the Bugis area of the city. This time, travelling as a couple, we needed a more spacious room. Our priorities were location and value for money. We wanted a simple room, but also a room with a window and private bathroom facilities. We wanted to be fairly central (to maximise our limited time in the city) and as close as possible to an MRT station. These were the factors that led to us choosing Soluxe Inn.

We ruled out various other budget hotels on the basis of the fact that they either had shared bathroom facilities, had rooms without windows or were seedy looking establishments located around the red light district of Geylang. For the price, Soluxe Inn looked to be a bargain – a fairly new hotel, with modern rooms, en-suite facilities and practically next to Little India MRT station.

Location

Soluxe Inn is located on Mackenzie Road, just a couple of minutes walk from Little India MRT station. Take the Mackenzie Road exit from the station, walk across the car park and you'll find the hotel on the corner of Mackenzie Road and Niven Road, above Selera Restaurant.

From Little India you can travel directly to Clarke Quay and Chinatown on the purple (North-East) MRT line, but we found that many of our journeys involved changing to the more useful red (North-South) and yellow (Circle) lines at Dhoby Ghaut, just one stop from Little India. On these lines we could travel to Orchard Road, Marina Bay, Esplanade, City Hall (for Raffles) and Ang Mo Kio (for bus connection to Singapore Zoo).

The MRT journey from the airport to Little India was not as straightforward as it might have been; we first had to change at Tanah Merah, then change at City Hall and then change again at Dhoby Ghaut. This isn't particularly convenient with heavy luggage and you might want to consider travelling to the hotel by taxi instead.

As well as Little India MRT station, the hotel is also within walking distance (10 minutes along Rochor Road) of Bugis station on the very useful green (East-West) line.

All of the sights in Little India are within easy walking distance of the hotel. Just a couple of minutes walk brings you to the main street of Serangoon Road. Along this road, and the various side streets that shoot off it, you will find Indian restaurants, all sorts of shopping opportunities, colourful temples and grocery stores selling fresh produce. For example, the Tekka Centre (a shopping arcade with a food market) is 5 minutes walk from the hotel and the 24 hour Mustafa Centre is a little over 10 minutes walk away.

There are plenty of restaurants and cafes on the streets surrounding the hotel. In fact, there is a restaurant (Selera) directly below the hotel, a Thai restaurant just a few doors away and a very impressive ice cream parlour ("320 Below") between the hotel and Little India MRT station.

Although we never did so, you could quite easily walk from the hotel to Orchard Road.

Bedroom

I knew from previous visits to Singapore and from our hotel searching that budget hotels in Singapore do not generally come with spacious rooms. Indeed, many of the reviews we read for Soluxe Inn commented on the fact that the rooms were compact but made good use of the limited space. I would say that I agree with that assessment.

Although our double room was fairly small, it was still larger than any of the rooms I've stayed in previously in Singapore.

It contained a comfortable double bed and there was a flat screen TV mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed. It only picked up a handful of channels, but one of them was the English language "Channel News Asia".

The wardrobe was small, particularly as the bottom third of it housed a (very cold!) fridge and a shelf above that contained the free code operated safe. You could only hang a few days worth of clothes in there – which was no problem for me.

The room also contained a writing desk and chair and a bedside cabinet next to one side of the bed.

Our room contained two windows looking out onto Mount Emily Road at the back of the hotel.

Absolutely essential when staying in Singapore is a room with air-conditioning. The air-con in our room was effective and quiet. The air-con was turned off during the day time (power was only connected to it when the key card was inserted in the slot in the room) and we realised how hot and stuffy the room would be without air-conditioning.

A kettle was provided, complimentary mineral water was received each day and the coffee and tea sachets were replenished daily.

There were a few (English style) electrical sockets in the room, but two of them, above the writing desk, were positioned so close to the surface of the non-movable desk that we couldn't fit our battery chargers into them. We could use them for recharging our phones and netbook, but only had one socket that could accommodate our battery chargers.

The free in-room wi-fi worked perfectly and was a decent speed.

The bathroom was attached to the bedroom and was separated by a frosted glass screen and a sliding glass door. It isn't ideal for privacy, but it is to be assumed that most people in such a room would be sharing with a close partner (given that there's only one bed).

The bathroom was effectively a wet room, almost like a large walk-in shower with a toilet and a washbasin. There was no separate shower cubicle, the water simply ran down a drain in the tiled floor area.

All of the bathroom appliances were modern and clean, looking almost new.

We received fresh towels and complimentary toiletries (soap, shower gel and shampoo) each day. There was always plenty of warm water, but we tended to take cool showers given the heat outdoors.

General

The hotel's reception area is a small room on the 5th floor of the building. It can be reached by lift from the ground floor entrance. You can take the lift from street level to reception without using your key card (for example when you first arrive at the hotel), but to reach any of the other floors you need to use your key card to activate the lift. Our room was on the 2nd floor.

We were able to store our luggage in a locked storage room next to reception, free of charge, between checking out of the hotel at midday and travelling to the airport late in the evening.

There are very few facilities available at the hotel and it is not possible to have breakfast there. The hotel consists of a small reception room and a few floors of bedrooms. That was fine by us; we required nothing more than a basic en-suite room.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Soluxe Inn. Our room was clean, comfortable and air-conditioned and we were in a decent location just 2 minutes walk from Little India MRT station. At £63 a night it was good value for money by Singapore standards – even though we'd have probably been disappointed with the size of the room for that price in many other cities! We'd happily stay there again and would recommend it to other budget travellers.

• Written June 8, 2013

Soluxe Inn, Little India, Singapore

• santeria01 profile photo santeria01
  • Reviews: 74

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wink Hostel: One of them Hostels in Chinatown, but very nice!

Singapore is quite an expensive place to stay in, so staying in a hotel was crossed out. Fortunately, Singapore has abundant hostels and this one is highly recommended by a friend who has tried it before. We were 4 in a group and we took the mixed dorm-type. I love sleeping in my own small pod lol. Usually at the end of the day you get really tired from all that walking, so a very cushy orthopedic mattress would be awesome to sleep in :-) And Wink Hostel have it!

They have free breakfast, just cereals, juice, coffee, toast and jam, but you can eat them as much as you can. Dining area is available for everyone so it was fun chatting with other backpackers too.

The sleeping pods are awesome!

• Related to: Singles, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written January 13, 2013
Tip Photo

Front signage of the hostel

• TheAndos profile photo TheAndos
  • Reviews: 93

Park Royal Beach Road: Stopver

Stayed night of 19 Sept as a stopover on way from Europe to Australia so arrived at 8.30am. All staff welcoming and friendly, was told room would be available at 11am but it was ready earlier. In meantime went to pool (pleasant but noisy from adjacent building work) and gym (very good, take your earphones for the cardio).

I had asked for a king bed but room looked on to construction so asked for another. Prompt response and was moved across hall to one with twin beds overlooking front and main road. Fine, not noisy, spacious.

Location is excellent. Got the airport shuttle in but because hotel is located on north side of city, it is an easy taxi ride to airport ($S17 at 8.30pm on way back). It is a ten minute walk to Bugis shopping centre/MRT, and less to Nicholl Highway MRT. Across the road is Arab Street with bars and restaurants, shops and exchanges. If you like to meander, you can also walk to Little India; I actually walked down to Raffles and the Marina before getting the MRT to Gardens by the Bay.

Travelling alone, I feel perfectly safe in S'pore. I would prefer to stay in this location rather than in Orchard Road, it is also better value. I would stay there again but I understand from other reviews that the construction problem is going to get worse and the pool will be closed so beware. Otherwise, recommended.

• Written September 21, 2012

• Jimbo222 profile photo Jimbo222
  • Reviews: 68

Hilton Hotel: Center of orchard

Was not able to use the gym spa or pool but the room was good. I loved the breakfast as well. Room was spacious. I loved the pillows.and had a really good sleep.

Good breakfast! Room have a working desk which is good for corporate travellers. Lamp for reading at night,

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel
  • Written August 4, 2012

• cokes profile photo cokes
  • Reviews: 583

V Hotel Lavender: Hotel in a Great Location

This is a lovely hotel. The room is not very big but it`s not too bad even though it is a 4 star hotel we expected it be a bit bigger. The bathroom is small but quiet nice. The room is equiped with a nice size flat screen TV , kettle and so on. The pool area is also quiet nice to go and relax , there is a gym at the swimming pool and also a restaurant. The pool is situated on the 4th floor. The reception area always seems full of people for some reason. There is also a money changer next to the entrance of the hotel.

One that I can say is really great for this hotel is location. It has a food court which is next to the hotel and also the Lavender MRT is right there. Also the bus stops at the food court so interms of transportation and food it`s in a really good location. Also Bugis Junction is 1 stop away by MRT if you need to go and do some shopping.

• Written May 1, 2012

• Jimbo222 profile photo Jimbo222
  • Reviews: 68

Oasia Hotel: My favorite in terms of consistency in theme

Oasia Hotel is located beside Velocity (Novena) and few minutes walk to Novena MRT. Among the different hotels i've stayed in Singapore, this I would say would be one of my favorites. I believe it has to do with the theme. There's nothing too 'grand' but that's what made it really nice. It's simple and consistent with its theme. As I stayed in the room, 2 single beds, then another 'cushion' which i guess can be a 'small/mini bed' by the window. The cabinets are integrated in the walls, so at first you would not recognize immediately. Even the toilet is in theme with the room, and there is option to use the rainshower showerhead.

Simple, nice, clean, consistent theme in room, HDTV.

• Related to: Singles, Business Travel
  • Written May 1, 2012

• pres_16 profile photo pres_16
  • Reviews: 473

The Hive Backpacker's Hostel: Comfortable stay at comfortable prices

Nice staff here, I did not experience any arrogance from them like what I usually encounter from chinky-eyed, chinese speaking people.

Stayed in an all-female dorm, everything clean here. American breakfast included.

Location close to bus stops and train station. A short walking distance to Lavender food court for an affordable meal, lots of stuff to choose from.

• Written March 12, 2012
Tip Photo

• balhannah profile photo balhannah
  • Reviews: 9817

PARK VIEW HOTEL: Reasonably priced

I chose this Hotel for price and situation, plus most of the review's were fairly good.

The 1st good point was that we caught the Airport shuttle and it took us right to the front door of the Hotel, that was excellent.
We checked in ok, were given Breakfast voucher's, as Breakfast was included in the price.

Next, into the lift, and to the second floor where our SUPERIOR room was.
A small room that did overlook an uninteresting park, that didn't matter though! It had airconditioning, much needed in Singapore, a Safe, Fridge, Television, Tea & Coffee facilities, a large desk with two chairs and plenty of cupboard space.
The downside, was in a small room, there was nowhere to put our luggage. Luckily, our smaller stuff fitted inside of the wardrobe.
It wasn't noisy, it was clean, and the room was serviced every day.

The reception was helpful with everything we asked them, and we could leave out baggage in the lobby until the evening. There wasn't a storage room, but it was quite safe where it was, and we made sure it was locked.

Breakfast was the same choice each day, in a separate room next to reception. It was Buffet, help yourself to Juice, Cereal, Egg's, Sausages & chinese food and usually only watermelon for fruit. Tea & Coffee.
One day, it was so busy, we had to wait for a table for about quarter an hour, as there weren't any vacant! I wouldn't call the breakfast anything much, but we ate it, and it filled us until lunchtime.

The Hotel position was great, as right outside is a Bus Stop, a short walk is to Bugis MRT station, and the huge Suntec shopping complex was a short walk away.

I also liked be able to sit outside under the shady verandah, and being able to enjoy a drink and watch the people and traffic go by.

For the price we paid, which was a good one for Singapore, we were happy with what we got.
If we wanted better, then we would have stayed somewhere else.

• Written November 16, 2011

Park View Hotel

• zuyao profile photo zuyao
  • Reviews: 345

Parkroyal on Kitchener Road: Comfy & convenient hotel

Would definitely recommend this hotel. It's very comfortable and nice. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The MRT station is just opposite and you are basically surrounded by many amenities like shops, restaurants and such. The hotel is located in Little India and would be ideal if you are interested in soaking up to the culture of India in a sanitized city like Singapore.

• Written May 25, 2011

• Stentorian profile photo Stentorian
  • Reviews: 50

Hotel V.I.P: Singapore's best accomodation in cheap price

I stayed there twice. I liked the place very much. Clam and quite, clean, good helpful clerks. Location is in a posh area, not too far from MRT. Breakfast included. I'd like to stay there again.

* Not a busy hotel.
* Calm and quite.
* Located in good residential area.
* not very far from Newton food market and MRT Station.
* CHEAP, CLEAN, Suitable for family.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written May 3, 2011
Tip Photo

My sister standing at the entrance of the hotel.

• arianne_1504 profile photo arianne_1504
  • Reviews: 405

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Grand Pacific Hotel (ex Allson Hotel): Nothing Grand At All

Unpleasant, unpleasant and unpleasant.

First class business hotel my ass!!! Be warned - this hotel looks nothing like what it does on the website. I would never recommend anyone stay here and am very upset that I subjected my Mum to 4 nights in this hotel.

Except for the two receptionists, the staff were rude. The doorman even snapped at us when we went to take our own bags to our room. Extremely noisy room floor - it was as if the walls were paper thin. The person in the room next to us seemed as though he lived there and we had to listen to his daily routine (including morning pee and doorbell ringing when someone came to collect him - just what you want when you are on holidays and trying to sleep in!) Smelt very musty. One temperature in the room - freezing. No laundry powder provided in the laundrette - which would have been fine if we were told that when we asked reception to change our notes into coins so we could use the laundrette - not impressed at tracking our bundles of laundry down the windy stairs only to find no powder, then had to take the laundry back to our roooms, go and get powder from the 7-Eleven and then track the clothes back down to the laundry. Very expensive too (especially given we had to provide our own powder). One day, we had no replacement toilet roll and no hand towels. Internet prices were daylight robbery

The location was good - its only good redeeming feature.

None at all.

• Written May 3, 2010
Tip Photo

The room you think you're going to get....

• sangria07 profile photo sangria07
  • Reviews: 20

Hotel Re!: Funky Boutique Hotel

This is a funky hotel perched at the foot of Pearl Hill in Singapore. We were greeted with a reception with bright pink wall panels when we walked in. The colours and theme of the hotel has a sense of chirpiness to it.

We had opted for the Re!laxation package which was SGD148++ inclusive of breakfast. Our room was rather tiny but not to the point of being suffocating (and I am claustrophobic). It was decorated prettily in a pink coloured theme with the silhouette of Marilyn Monroe above each bed. The beds were comfortable and clean and there were extra pillows in the closet - a plus point as we didn't need to contact housekeeping for those. The room came equipped with a big flat screen LCD tv (although it was not of much use to us seeing that we were out all the time except for bedtime), coffee and tea making facilities and a mini bar.

I loved the bathroom as it was decorated with sparkly tiles in numerous shades of pink! Best of all, it came with a shower stall installed as I really hate tubs. The size of the bathroom was comfortable enough for one person to manoeuvre in. When we booked the package, my friend and I were a bit thrilled as the package indicated that L'Occitane toiletries would be provided. Unfortunately, we saw no L'Occitane products ... only the usual standard hotel toiletries/amenities. There is also a hair dryer available in the bathroom. On the second day, we found that the housekeeping staff had failed to replenish the bath gel and shampoo and my friend tried to call for some. Unfortunately, no one picked up the line and she had to run down to the reception to request for more bath gel.

This is not the first time we experienced the hotel staff not attending to calls. When we arrived in Singapore in the morning, we tried to contact the hotel to see if it was possible to check-in earlier than the usual check-in time of 2pm. We called multiple times but no one ever answered our calls. Our booking was made via the internet and that seemed to work much better than calling them on the phone apparently.

The American buffet breakfast was mediocre and if I stayed there again, I'd opt for the package sans breakfast and head down to nearby Chinatown for better food.

Our package came with a complimentary 10 minute head and shoulders massage in the adjacent shop which provided massage, manicure and pedicure facilities. This was one of the highlights of the package and I appreciate the quick massage after two whole days of traipsing around Singapore.

The nearest MRT station is the Outram station which is a 10 minute walk downhill from the hotel (would be quite a walk back up!). It would be a pleasant walk down if the weather cooperates. However, it is a lonely path and not advisable for women to walk back alone after dark. We chose to ride in a cab back to the hotel which was not too expensive. The hotel also provides free shuttle service to the Outram MRT station but the times are quite limited ... for example, the earliest shuttle down to the Outram station was at 11am whereas we were always out and roaming by 10am latest. So the shuttle services were not much help.

The hotel is basic and functional. A good place to have a decent night's sleep if that is what one requires. Just don't expect frills and this hotel is almost perfect.

Complimentary 10 minutes head and shoulders massage with the Re!laxation package.

Chirpy interior decoration.

• Related to: Singles, Women's Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written December 4, 2009

• Penelope4 profile photo Penelope4
  • Reviews: 461

Hotel Ibis on Bencoolen: 3-star chain hotel in Singapore

This hotel provides coffee-tea making facility. Its restaurant, TASTE, offers tapas-styled Singaporean dishes. Nice selection of cocktails and wines and beer. The room is good for two persons.

The location is excellent. Walking distance to Bugis and Orchard Road.

• Related to: Singles, Budget Travel
  • Written April 27, 2009

• cachaseiro profile photo cachaseiro
  • Reviews: 1926

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel tai seng.: Cheap and grotty.

I stayed one night at the tai seng hotel and i have to ssay that it's cheap, but it's also a bit of a grotty hole especially when you compare it to the much nicer haising hotel just around the corner that is much nicer and only slightly more expensive.
My room was a small room with an ok bed, but the bathroom was kinda stuffy and the plug in my room did not work and it gave me an electrical schock when i tried to recharge my cell phone.
Imoved the little table next to my bed to see if there was another plug, but all i found was two old condon wrappers.

I know this sounds really bad, but i could stay there again if everything else in the same price range is full, but it is one of the last places i will go looking in the future.

• Written January 31, 2009