New Park Hotel

PARKROYAL on Kitchener Road
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Agoda.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• New Park Hotel

Nice hotel with good location. Near to MRT station (3mins walk) and is just next to Mustafa shopping centre which opens 24hours. Area is still very much alive when it gets late at night. Many nice local food stalls nearby.

Clean rooms and good facilities, friendly staffs.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Located in Little India

This hotel was average,its a medium class hotel and quite basic which did not exactly bother me but when I revisit Singapore though I will stay somewhere else.

I remember the rooms being SO hot - the AC wasnt that great and it smelt a little musty.*

Unique Quality: It has a pool - fab for cooling off, a restaurant and a shopping centre underneath.

Located in Little India, its completly safe, but for a young female I felt a little uneasy late at night outside the hotel as I was here during the Deepvali festival the district was full of natives and I stuck out like a sore thumb with my pale skin colour!

All in all, fine, clean, staff helpful and friendly - Dont go expecting an outstanding Far Eastern City hotel - its not!
    Its basic, clean, well located and the staff are helpful - Raffles its not!

More about New Park Hotel

Mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member MickiAustralia

We booked into this hotel (prepaid unfortunately) to be told renovations were being carried out between 9.30 and 6 pm. Our standard room was apalling. Smelt of "poverty" - really shabby and way overpriced at S $150 per night. The banging with slegdhammers and jackhammers was unbelievable. Our room actually vibrated and within 10 mins I had a headache. Our room was unusable so we asked nicely for a room change. No availability apparently. we spent 10 hours out of the hotel to escape the noise. The next morning the work started in ernest again so I asked to speak to the duty manager who gave us an upgrade to a newly renovated room...wow it was like a TOTALLY different hotel. Much quieter and beautifully refurbished - all new - from top to toe - very happy with that. My only complaint was that we were between 2 families of children (parents in different room) who ran up and down the hallway banging doors til 12 midnight and no way could they be stopped - the noise was unbelievable. I have had this experience several times and wonder how you address the problem. It can and does happen at the very best hotels and can make life very uncomfortable :(
Yes I would go back for the great position but would not even consider doing so til all the rooms are refurbished and the work has been completed. Old rooms and pool area are extremely poor. I am surprised that Parkroyal have put their name on it at this stage.

Hotel from Hell

by TripAdvisor Member trabeck

Never again 1 night was 1 to many. We arrived by taxi and were left standing out the front with our luggage for 20 mins. Finally inside, 35 mins until someone decided to make an effort and check us in. We had 2 rooms both of which were out dated very dirty and smelly. A request for some ice was met with the response "go to reception pay for it and we will give you some". A request for milk was met with "come to reception " .I did and they directed myself and my 12 year old daughter to the 7/11 via a back alley this was at 11pm. The next morning we almost missed our flight home because we didn't get our wake up call, no they didn;t apologise. And lastly we asked for a taxi to be called and the bellboy arranged a friend of his to do it at 3 times the price. By that stage we had no time to argue. Over all opinion of this hotel I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Nice & Clean

by TripAdvisor Member tallusion

I stayed at the Park Royal Hotel on Kitchener Road from 27th May until 31st May 2007.

Arriving early, I had to wait a few hours in the lobby for my room to be cleaned. Like others waiting, I chose to fall asleep - which staff did not seem to mind. Despite being told I would be notified when my room was ready, I wasn't, but I went up to the reception desk after a 2 hour nap and found my room to be ready.

Porters took my bags up to my room quite promptly and they have this little travelator that can take your bags up/down from the entrance of the hotel so you don't have to drag it up/down the stairs.

The room was clean and tidy and despite notices of ongoing maintenance to the hotel during the daytime hours, I did not really notice too much of a disturbance. In fact, the light hammering sounded almost apologetic.

I did have to ask for toilet paper during my stay even tho there was an empty roll there prior to them cleaning the room.

I only had dinner once there, which was for the Japanese buffet. It was nice and there was an abundance of staff on hand to tend to your needs. I even had one waitress nearby to get me food and drinks if I chose.

Breakfast buffet was quite bland and I ended up just eating toast in the mornings as I wasn't interested in the tinned fruits (peach / longan / rambutan), the porridge (chook) station, and the fried sausages/bacon etc were covered in a good splattering of grease.
There is a nice hawker stall next door to the hotel if you don't mind it where you can get cheap drinks, indian food and chinese noodles for about 3-5 SG.

Next door is the Shing Hotel which has the Shing Health Spa. It's about $50 SG for a 1 hour massage but they will advise you to have a shower before having a nude massage. (Came as quite a shock to me!) They do cover you in towels once you lie down tho but they don't leave the room when you proceed to get dressed afterwards.

Overall found it a suitable hotel and would quite happily stay there again.

Very Average in 2003

by TripAdvisor Member mcb208

I stayed in 2003 and the experience was very average - meaning not good. There was something wrong with the A/C which is a problem in hot-humid Singapore.

The room was very stuffy and poorly ventilated, the windows were very dirty and it felt like a third-world hotel and out of place in modern Singapore

Hell's Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member snoopyjazz

This is simply the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. True, they were undergoing renovations but it is not that which has irked me!!

I drove from Malaysia to Singapore and on going to park at the hotel, found that the carpark uses a cash card, not available to most non-Singaporeans. There was no information whatsoever to prepare you for this. I was actually obstructing traffic and it took them 5 minutes before someone appeared to help me into the carpark. All this time I had to put up with an SUV who was hoking away at me

After all that commotion, my family and I were pretty glad to get into a fairly comfortable to room or so we think - aircondition in the hotel was supposed to have individual controls but even though its switched off, it still feels like the North Pole in the room. Bathroom was all right, thank goodness.

On the second night there, we found that our sheets were musty, that sort of smell you get when clothes are not properly dried. My wife called housekeeping at 11pm and was told that the department was closed. Which hotel in the world has housekeeping that closes at night?? However they told us that they would send someone up. Someone did turn up with blankets. When I told him that it wasn't blankets I wanted but sheets, he grumpily went away, and returned a few minutes later with ONE fresh sheet. which he handed to me. When I asked him if he was going to make the bed for us, he told me that he did not know how to make beds as he was just the porter. My wife complained to the night manager who after a few minutes of argument said that he will send someone to make the bed for us. Two men came about 15 minutes later and asked us if we had made the sheets wet while looking at my 5 years old daughter accusingly.
My poor daughter at that time had fallen asleep on my lap. They made the bed with ONE sheet but we were just too tired to argue then. They were probably the night manager and the concierge!!

Believe me I had never been treated so badly at a hotel before. The next morning I found out from my friends who were staying in other rooms that their sheets were musty too.

It rained daily in Singapore while we were there and as they were renovating the entrance of the hotel, we got wet as well coming out of cabs or walking in and out of the hotel as the makeshift roof they have was leaking.

All in all a horrible experience and I am definitely not going back to that hotel!!!

Fantastic stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member billyaztec

Our short stay here was very comfortable and we were impressed by the level of service, cleanliness and overall standard of our room. After six weeks of travelling in the UK and Europe, and experiencing many different levels of accommodation, this place was like a breath of fresh air. We loved it and would highly recommend it. The staff were very obliging and friendly, nothing was a bother. Excellent value for money!

by TripAdvisor Member Vinzeph

Stayed in this hotel for one night as our flight from Kathmandu was delayed and we were not able to connect to our flight to Australia. This hotel was booked by SilkAir for us so i cannot comment on the price.

The room was clean but very basic and nothing impressive. it was adequate for our needs as we were only there for a night. the surrounding area seems not so desirable.

I am planning to visit again Singapore next year on the way to Europe but I will not stay in this hotel for sure.

Great hotel great location

by TripAdvisor Member michele_6169

Friendly staff, clean large rooms. Location 1 minute from Farrer MRT Station. Pool area is well kept and clean, pool towels provided. Can't fault it in any way, great place to stay with children.

Which hotel?

by ralfcam

Hi,
I have narrowed my choices down to Park Royal Kitchener Rd, York Hotel, and the two Holiday Inns.

All are similar in price so if anyone can make one stand out for me that would be great or mention another hotel that will accommodate two adults and two children (2 and 3 years) for under 330SGD.

A nice pool (greenery, sunshine, child friendly), nice buffet breakfast, and clean rooms are what's most important to me.

Does anyone know if any of the above four hotels are currently renovating?

Cheers

Ralf

by Nissanmit

these 4 hotels are in different locations. what do u intend to do? shop? if so, york hotel. its near enough to the heart of orchard road and yet remains tranquail due to its "backyard of orchard road" location. holiday inn park view is very old although its also near to the tail end of orchard road and nearer to the mrt station as compared to york hotel.

i won't recommend the other holiday inn as it is not near any mrt station nor shopping mall (except one which is about ten mins walk away) and the hotel is nothing to shout about.

park royal is off orchard also. the area is a bit more messy. won't recommend unless you are a fan of mustafa shopping mall.

by urbanmale_tods

My recommendation:

1. Holiday Inn Park View
2. York Hotel
3. Holiday Inn Atrium
4. Park Royal

Holiday Inn Park View is 5 minutes walk away from Somerset MRT and walking distance to Orchard Road and downtown Dhobby Ghaut. Going down to Marina City Centre is also very convenient.

As mention, York Hotel is "hidden" behind Orchard Road and may be hard to find especially at night. It is also tucked away from all the action.

The other 2 hotel needs no saying, their location is hard to get to.

by smurfsingapore

I have stayed at York Hotel & Holiday Inn Park View. Think I would prefer Holiday Inn Park View, more posh hotel with a big swimming pool and a 8man jaccuzzi pool. AS for Park Royal Hotel at Kitchener, it's a bit old, unless you are an indian and prefer to stay there for the food, else can forget about it.

by ralfcam

Have booked HI Parkview.
Can't wait to get there now.
Can anyone recommend which floor or room type/view to ask for.
Regards