1 Florence Close, Singapore, 549588, Singapore

Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• PandawitchElphie's Profile Photo

Cheap but Good place to stay in Singapore!

The place is quaint. Set in a quiet neighborhood but far from downtown. It's near an MRT though so you can walk and take the MRT to any place you want.

Let me break it down:

Safety:
    Good. You get private rooms for S$88. You can either be a single person, a couple or trio and the rate remains the same. Keys to enter the main door...and each private room has a unique lock system. You can BAR the door! :D I found that interesting. And when you leave, you can lock it outside and take your keys with you.

CLEANLINESS:
    Private rooms are very clean.
    Toilets and showers are clean too...but it really depends on how far along the line you are when you shower. I always wake up early so I'm the first to use the facilities.

Privacy/Sleeping areas:
    I think I already mentioned that you get private rooms.
    Beds are just really mattresses/futons on the floor. Still, I was surprisingly comfortable and with individual aircons in each room, a nice comforter and 2 pillows...I slept very well. Oh! The walls are thin... so you have to speak in whispers and avoid any...err...night time noises. :) I didn't hear anyone snore tho. :D

Toilets/Shower Area:
    2 shower stalls and 2 toilets.
    TINY though...so you have to minimize your movements. I'm a big girl though and I fit. :)
    You CAN bring a robe and just change in your room (you'll have to walk thru the common area tho).
    The sink is in the common area... so you can be seen brushing your teeth or washing your face by anybody.

Staff:
    1 girl. Filipina. She's nice and friendly and speaks good English.

** Don't expect much. It's just a tiny place to stay at. A good, VERY QUIET place to sleep in after a long day touring. It's not a hangout place. Just... a sleeping area.

Unique Quality: It's a nice little place to stay if you're on a budget and you want privacy. Other cheap places to stay have common bedrooms...here you have a private room.

Directions: MRT:
    From Airport, take Green Line (to Boonlay), get off at Outram then transfer to Purple line (to Punggol) and get off at KOVAN station. Use Exit B and you'll just walk straight until you get there (next to Red Ponggol).

More about One Florence Close

Singapore on a Budget

by jlcurtis287

"General Impressions"

The city was a great welcome to South East Asia, with its impeccably clean streets and public establishments. Food was cheap and plentiful, offer a wide range of ehtnic cuisine, and more than a few original choices, like fried-carrot cake (a must try for any visitor).
Our hostel, One Florence Close, was located off of Upper Serangoon, just a short MRT ride from the Central/Colonial District.
Public transportation was cheap and plentiful

"Out and About"

"Food"

There was a suprising mix of food. What we enjoyed the most were the peanut butter options everywhere. As a lover of peanut butter, I was pleasantly surprized to find peanut butter rolls (pancakes with peanut butter rolled), fresh-made waffles with PB, and plenty of little cookies with PB--delicious. Our favorite were the PB waffles, costing on 1.30SGD each.
Food was really cheap overall, especially since we choose to eat at various Hawker stalls throughout the city.

Breakfasts were usually PB pancakes/waffles, however Mattie did pick up a mix of mini pastries for only 2.40SGD. There were plenty of pastry shops, with an interesting mix of sweet, flaky treats and sweet-and-savory mixed meat flaky treats.

Portion sizes are a lot smaller than what the typical Westerner is used to, but they are more than adequate. It takes a few days to get used to the bite-sized snack portions, but they actually turn out to be much more satisfying in these smaller portions.

We tried the green-tea and red bean (aduzki bean) paste rolls as well, however, they were a bit to chalky-tasting for our liking, preferring the thicker, creamier taste of the peanut butter roll.

Lunch and dinner meals consisted of the noodles in one form or another.
Yong Tau Foo, which literally means 'stuffed bean curd', is a fish-based soup with noodles and an assortment of vegetables quickly blanched in the broth then served in a giant soup bowl. I got this dish a few times at various mall-food courts (such as the Funan IT mall). It was a pretty good choice for healthy-fare, and I found myself overwhelmed with the selection of exotic fresh-veg to thrown in (which also included a bunch of tofu and fish-options). While it was a good, hearty meal for only 3.50SGD, the fish overtones of the broth got a bit overwhelming towards the end. However, it was a welcome meal for a veggie-lover.

Fish seems to be used for a base of most of the meals. Though it is possile
Another 'Singapore Must Try' is the fried carrot cake, not made from carrot cake at all. An oily, fried mix of egg, scallions, and white radish (aka Chinese carrot) soy sauce, and garlic. It was really good, picked up from a local hawker stall on the Lucky Mall on Orchard Road. It cost only 3.50, and was delicious, just very heavy. It is a good dish to split with someone if you aren't a huge fan of oily fare.

Advice

by mae5381

Hi, can anyone advice me if One Florence Close Hostel is a nice and decent place to stay. is the location ok? how about the place, is it clean? thanks

Re: Advice

by fucshia1818

i haven't been to one florence close, but i think it's very near the MRT station....

Re: Advice

by Ven1841

Hi,

Hope I'm not too late for this, I've checked thru website, Florence Close is located at Sarangoon Gardens area. I don't find this area is conveniently access to shopping area, I personally have not come across this hotel.

It all depends on the purpose of your trip, it might be ideal is you plan to get out of all shoppings & be quiet.

just my 2 cents worth......

Ven

Budget Accomodation

Hi all,

Could you give me some advice in choosing accomodation.
Gathering from prev threads, I'm interested in the following:
- The new 7th Storey Hotel
- Sleepy Sam's
- Bugis Backpackers

I'm inclined towards the 7th Storey, mainly because they have good reviews all
around (clean, friendly, and near the city & MRT).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

RE: Budget Accomodation

by DarkRay

If you are looking for backpacking accomodation, you may want to consider The InnCrowd (http://www.the-inncrowd.com/) as well. But otherwise, if you are looking for a basic room, there is really no better one than The New 7th Storey Hotel (http://www.nsshotel.com).

Just my 2 cents.... :-)

RE: Budget Accomodation

by LuvNature

There are lots of hostel near MRT.

New 7th Storey Hotel,Sleepy Sam's and Bugis Backpackers are all near BUGIS Mrt with Bugis backpackers the nearest and NSS and Sleepy sam not far away. Generally review in www.hostelworld.com will prompt you to choose Sleepy sam, NSS and finally Bugis backapackers. But Sleepy sam is a bit cost more $$$$ then NSS.

Also Inn crowd hostel which is Singapore most popular hostel where you can meet lots of travellers but be prepared to stay in BIG Dorm.

Here is the rest of hostels in Singapore which is near MRT:

Hostel Mackenzie

Waterloo Hostel
www.waterloohostel.com.sg/

One Florence Close Hostel

by hck79

Thanks for the replies...

Based on that, I think I'll go with the NSS Hotel.
I think I'll have a blast in Sing :)

by litekimchi

If you're staying during the Chinese New Year, I would suggest A Traveller's Rest Stop, because its in Chinatown and near an MRT station, too. Great place to stay, and the whole neighborhood has great character.

by hck79

Thanks for the suggestion lightkimchi, but I'm already in Singapore since yesterday... Having a very good time....

by litekimchi

Too bad, I was a little too late. In any case, one can enjoy Singapore wherever one chooses to stay. Hope you love it as much as I did!

Affordable, Accessible and Clean Accommodations in Singapore

by SexyJewel

Hi guys! I'm currently looking for a place to stay in Singapore. I'll be going end of June and will be staying for 5-7days. I was thinking of trying out some guesthouses or hostels, something different from hotels i've stayed in before. I did see a lot of good feedbacks about several hostels, namely, Fragrance Backpackers, One Florence Close, Summer Tavern Hostel, The InnCrowd Backpackers and A Travellers Rest Stop... I'm looking for a double bed/room since i'll be travelling with my sister and we prefer to have our own bathroom, plus it should be near the MRT. We would probably be out most of the day, so just need somewhere to rest and bathe and a secure place where we can leave our stuff. Free breakfast would be great, too.

RE: Affordable, Accessible and Clean Accommodations in Singapore

by xuessium

HI! Yvonne:

Budget lodging-wise, you could try the New 7th Storey Hotel (http://www.nsshotel.com) just across Bugis Junction Mall. The Deluxe Room should be able to fit your bill. Review of hotel on my VT Singapore page.

Other backpacker lodgings in the city include:
- Bugis Backpackers (http://www.bugisbackpackers.com) - some folks complain that you have to climb up to the 3rd floor
- Sleepy Sam (http://www.sleepysams.com/) - some folks complain that the call for prayer of the mosque next door disturbed their sleep. Fellow VTer "SWFC_Fan" aka Jonathan has a review of this lodging on his VT Singapore page.

Just my 2 cents worth.

RE: RE: Affordable, Accessible and Clean Accommodations in Singapore

by trav4bus

i would also recommend www.nsshotel.com

its nice and clean and cheap as well.

I ay alos visit it in first week of july.

cheers

RE: Affordable, Accessible and Clean Accommodations in Singapore

by ratinacage

well, if u dun mind the reps of the hotels,you can try hotel 81. they must have over 20 or so outlets all over SG.some of the locations are really bad as they are in the red light district and the main clients of these hotels are hookers and their tricks.but some of them are nice.but if u need more info on the different location,do lemme know.
their website :http://www.hotel81.com.sg/