3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Agoda.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 42% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Decent hotel in a superb location.

I have stayed a couple of times at the Peninsula Excelsior while at work in singapore and i really like the location of the hotel.
    The staff at the hotel is extremely helpful too and makes staying there a pleasure.
    The rooms are very functional for someone like me who is there to work.
    Only complaint i have about the hotel is that they have shabby wifi that requiers passwords, payments and so on.
    When you have a 5 star hotel that costs as much as it does then why not charge an additional 5 dollars per night and include it without having to deal with passwords and log ins which is very very annoying when you are working and sometimes very busy.

Unique Quality: The staff and the location is what makes me come back to this hotel time after time.

Directions: Right in the center, 300 meters from Raffles Hotel.

• dezert_roz's Profile Photo

Outstanding comfortable Hotel

I had a 2 night stay in this hotel.
    Very decent and comfortable rooms.
    The staff was very congenial and effecient.Especially the staff at the club lounge was very professional and hospitable, they went out of the way to provide us things which were out of the evening menu as we were vegetarians.

The pool is also good and the morning breakfast buffet was also sumptuos.

Overall a very good stay.

Unique Quality: The location is very fantastic.
    The view from the rooftop Lounge is simple awesome.

• AlettaCrofton's Profile Photo

A Comfortable and Centrally Located Hotel

We spent a pleasant four days in this hotel. There are two swimming pools where one can relax after a long day of sightseeing. The breakfast offered gives one a good idea of what Orientals enjoy for breakfast - dishes such as noodles, stir fries, tapioca dumplings and much more. The rooms were comfortable, the service excellent and hotel staff friendly and polite.

Unique Quality: We enjoyed the fact that the hotel is so centrally located, within walking distance to the famous Raffles hotel, Little China and the Waterfront. There is an hourly Sentosa bus stop right on the doorstep of this hotel.

• Happy guest

Hi every one, I stayed at Peninsula Excelsior hotel from 26th to 29th November 2010. I was surprised to have that experience at the hotel which is very much contradictory to most of the negative revives. We were at the hotel early in the morning at around 7 am since that was the time of our arrival. There were no rooms available at that time but the front office staff was very friendly and help full. I requested for two interconnected rooms since I was with my cousins we wanted to stay together. They provided that with a newly refurbished room from the new wing. Bell captain Krishna was very friendly and gave us some good advice to make maximum use of the time and told us to go to Singapore flyer and come till the rooms are been arranged. He was more help full to get our voucher for Universal Studios because the SIA stop over counter didn’t give it to us at Air port. Service was very good, rooms were very clean and tidy, there were new towels every day. rooms are bit small but after all we were there for a holiday and to go around the city so size of the room was not important. We stayed in the 10th florr and the view was nothing but below average, but in was told that there are rooms with better views.
    We requested for a late check out since our return flight was in the late night, they gave us one hour free and the staff was very courteous.

I would recommend to use the MRT as much as possible because it is cheap and convenient and it runs to all the important places in the city

All in all we had a good and comfortable stay in Peninsula Excelsior , and I recommend this hotel and I would most certainly stay again

• jasper667's Profile Photo

Cental location

Stayed in the club room, quick check in as they have their own in the 22nd floor. I was offered drinks on arrival. The room is clean and spacious and the bed is firm and comfortable. The floor is quite during the night, however it is a non smoking floor but I can still smell cigarette in the corridor.
    Breakfast choices are limited but service is excellent.
    The hotel is walking distance to train station, to raffles city and funan centre. I took taxi to majority of places visited, it very affordable and honest taxi drivers. I even left all my luggage including my expensive camera and lens in the taxi while I went to fetch my niece at the airport and the taxi driver patiently waited for us.
    I would recommend this hotel and will come back again.

• Amar_kirale's Profile Photo

Hotel having the Best View Of Singapore

I stayed in Peninsula Excelsior which is at Coleman Street.
    Its a good 3 star Hotel. I stayed in a room costing me 150SGD per day (Including Breakfast). I did not do any advance bookings. But if you book it 3 months in advance or through some travel agent it would definitely be much cheaper(somewhere round about 115-125SGD). Negotiate hard with your travel agent

Room was awesome on the 14th floor with huge French windows on 2 sides. It had a mind blowing view of city Skyline on the right side, Singapore flyer, river and a sea view in the front and City Mall and Raffles shopping arcade on right.

I enjoyed the view of the city skyline so much that every night after a tiering city tour I used to sit near the French windows with a glass of GlenFiddich and enjoy the skyline and Lamborginies passing on the streets below

Unique Quality: Rooms are hygenic and well maintained. It has a swimming pool with glass as one side of the wall. So you can actually have an under water view of people swimming which I have never seen any where else. Service is good and staff is polite. Food is good...

It has quite a big lobby and a piano that plays automatically. It seems as some ghost is playing the piano because you see Keys moving and hear sound of the symphony without some one actually playing it.

Overall I was happy with the hotel.....

Directions: Cab from Hotel to Airport would cost you near 28SGD. There is a bus service available from the airport which will cost you 8SGD per head

• Beds infested with bed bugs, Poor customer service

I checked into the hotel with my spouse for Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon. And to our dismay, we were bitten by bed bugs early morning at 2 am. This had affected our sleep as we needed a good rest for our marathon run at 5:30 am.

When we complained it during check-out, they just passed us a 'customer satisfaction' form to fill up. what kind a service is this ? they dont even bother to go and check it out.
    Then we were charged for 'consuming' 2 small bottles of drinking water from the mini-bar.

Here is the conversatiion;

hotel staff : Do u take anything from the mini-bar
    me : No

hotel staff after rang up room service : You had consuming 2 bottle of mineral water (actualy it is just drinking water)

me : there are not complientary ?
    hotel staff : no, any thing from the mini bar are charged

me : Sorry, I dont know about that, can i pay you back with 2 new bottles of 'mineral water' ?
    hotel staff : no

me: why ?
    hotel staff : because you consumed already and there are big different in price of outside and hotel charge

me : so you are trying to overcharge me ? (fyi, the 2 bottles of 500ml drinking water were charged SGD9.60. it was a rip-off.). You dont provide guest with drinking water ?

hotel staff (her name is Peggy) : hmm, every hotel practise differently, we dun provide mineral water (it is just drinking water actually) for guests. so you have to pay for taking from the minibar

me : then you should inform us about the charge

Peggy: shall we ? (with so much ego)

me : yes

peggy : then, next time we will tell our guest.

me: ......

And there were false alarm of morning calls at 12:30 am twice. The phone just rang and no staff answer.

Unique Quality: nothing

• buffybird's Profile Photo

Fantastic Location

Ive heard some conflicting reviews on this hotel but i couldn't have been happier. I did email beforehand to ensure we were in a newly renovated room and was given a free upgrade.

Unique Quality: We were upgraded to a deluxe room on the 18th floor. We requested interconnecting rooms and this was not a problem. Rooms were tastefully decorated, views fantastic. The Hotel is in a fantastic location and within walking distance to Clarke Quay and Boat Quay. City Hall MRT station is a short 2 minute walk across the park. Several shopping centres are conveniently located by a short walk.

Directions: 5 min stroll to Clarke Quay around the corner from the Funan Centre

• Save your money elsewhere. It's a 1 star hotel

Bought a prepaid voucher from Jakarta. Trave with my wife and 2 kids (8 and 4 yrs)
    Check in on Aug 12 2007aroung 4:00 PM. Front desk question my voucher. they have to call the travel agent in Jakarta. After 40 min waiting we finally given a room.
    Open the door, the smell of the room like a public toilet after a soccer game, smell of urine every where. Mold in the bathroom. Went downstair to get another room. Wait for another 40 min. Check the room it was decent not really clean but we only stay for 2 nights. Kids has their shower, guess what, only 2 towels. Call front desk again.
    August 13 2007.
    Breakfast buffet, not enough plates and utensil. Even in the buffet table. Have to share 1 fork with the fruits and cheese plates.

Came back at 4:00 PM from shopping, room was not made until 5:30PM until we call the front desk.

August 14 6:45 AM go for breakfast. All the food not ready. Restaurant open at 6:30 AM

This hotel is cater to Indian, Indonesian and cheap tour.

Spend US$160.00 a noght should have spend another US$25.00 at the Mandarin.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

CBD accomodations

This is a very nice hotel in the Central Business District (CBD) or colonial district of Singapore. It's an easy walking distance to the Marina and the Boat Quay.

• A bit tired & worn, but OK

I've had several good and one quite bad experience at this hotel. The bad: I couldn't shower because the water from the taps was rusty/filthy, and although I asked for it to be repaired it was still the same when I returned in the afternoon. Singapore is hot and humid, and one definitely wants to be able to shower frequently! Eventually, after making a big fuss on my first & second days, I was moved to another room and that was fine.

The hotel is clean but worn. The carpets and linen are tired, and the skirting boards scuffed, etc. I've found the housekeeping staff are generally unhelpful, but if you complain in person to one of the reception supervisors, things will be fixed promptly.

Check-in/check-out at peak times can take ten minutes or more as there are often queues. I find this annoyingly slow. During the day and in the late evening it's usually nice and quick.

My summary: if you're after luxury, avoid the Pen-Excelsior, and for value-for-money you might choose someone else unless you're getting a good rate such as that offered by the Singapore Airlines stopover package. But, if you want a relatively inexpensive, conveniently located, clean and adequate hotel, Pen-Excelsior is fine. I?ve tried various other Singapore hotels, some of which are newer and less shabby, but the service issues seem to be fairly standard across the board. As the Pen-Excelsior?s location is so good, you can get good deals on its price, and its problems are minor, I've kept going back on my regular business trips to Singapore.

Unique Quality: the location is perfect : within 10-15 mins easy walk of conference centres, Boat Quay and Marina Square, Raffles Hotel, Raffles huge shopping plaza, hub MRT station (with easy, quick access to airport if you don't have a stopover transfer and don't want to take a taxi), Bugis Junction (tourist shopping bazaar), Chinatown, Suntec city shopping, and the electronics shopping centres of Sim Lim Square and Funan IT mall (the latter is right next door). The lovely Fort Canning Park is just down the road. Orchard Road is about 1/2 hr on foot, or quick and easy by MRT or bus. There are bus stops right outside the hotel, and combined with the MRT it's a wonderful location for getting to just about anywhere in Singapore.

I've stayed in both the Peninsula and Excelsior -- two adjoining hotels with a common reception, pools, etc -- and the former is probably newer and better. The pools are lovely. The gym looks fine, though I haven't used it. The reception supervisors are competent and eager to please/help, though some of their staff could do with training in helpfulness and friendliness (some can be a bit abrupt, verging on officious). The porters are generally very helpful, and will give you plenty of advice on how to get around by public transport and where to get good deals shopping.

• LotusV8's Profile Photo

Midclass stopoverhotel

This is a 3 star hotel and is all right for sleeping. The staff was a little bit snobby and not serviceminded at all, the looked at us like we was someone the didnt want to serve at all, and they made charades at the back of a disabled man - terrible girls at the receptions!
    After spending 2 weeks at a five star resort at Bali, this was a place that you want to leave immediately

Unique Quality: 2 swimmingpools, spa, shops, gym, etc.....

More about Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Hotel room view, Peninsula Excelsior, SingaporeHotel room view, Peninsula Excelsior, Singapore

Peninsula/Excelsior HotelPeninsula/Excelsior Hotel

River City Restaurant at Peninsula Excelsior HotelRiver City Restaurant at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

peninsula excelsior

by selena12

Has anybody stayed at this hotel? How is it location wise,in terms of proximity to MRT stations,shops, etc? Are the rooms ok? Customer service excellent or so-so? Your comments please, thanks!

RE: peninsula excelsior

by grahamNI

HI Selena,
Good place to check it out is on the following web site;

www.asiarooms.com

They have gen.info. and also reviews from people who have stayed there.

Have fun in Singapore, I love the place.

Graham.

RE: peninsula excelsior

by xuessium

HI! The Excelsior-Peninsula is right in the middle of town, a less than 5 minutes walk to the nearest MRT - City Hall. You are in the midst of the museum district, walking distance to Raffles City, Esplanade, Suntec City and Marina Square, as well as Singapore River, Boat Quay and Clarke Quay on the other side. You are only 4-5 bus stops away from Chinatown and Orchard Road. Location-wise, I don't think you should have any worries. Cheers!

by vyxxyn

It's an old hotel, rooms smell bit stale, and service level depends on your country of origin. Location is great in terms of amenities but it's located in the dodgier parts of the city centre.

by xuessium

I beg to respectfully disagree with the previous reply that the part of the city where the Excelsior-Peninsula is, is "dodgier".

by DarkRay

Peninsula Excelsior is definitely not located in a "dodgier" part of the city, unless one considers being located close to the Supreme Court and Parliament House dodgy. It is also near Funan Centre and Raffles City.

Sure, the building is a little old and despite the recent spruce up, the attached shopping centre still seem somewhat dated and uninviting. But the hotel's generally okay for its price.

Just my 2 cents.... :-)

by selena12

thank you graham and thank you everyone for replying.i'll keep all your advice in mind!

by vyxxyn

Dodgier part of the city... well I was referring to Peninsula Plaza where crime is rampant. Sorry maybe I hang out there in the night. Witnessed snatch-theft, robbery, and gang fights.

by DarkRay

Peninsula Plaza (and Peninsula Plaza only) is somewhat dodgier for various reasons. But Peninsula Excelsior opposite is not at all in my opinion. :-)

Comments