15 Merbau Road, Singapore, 239032, Singapore

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 25% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Co2laser's Profile Photo

Aviod if you can

The area that the hotel is situated has a large number of new looking bars and restaurants but is still very quiet. From the outside the hotel looks fine but it slowly goes down hill fast as you enter. The reception area is very basic that could be so more welcoming. I’ve stayed in a number of low priced hotels around the world but the rooms in this hotel are awful shabby and filthy with no evidence of any attempt to clean them the shower/toilet is a tiny wet room type so when you have a shower the toilet and toilet paper gets wet and you also need to have shoes on if you use the bathroom for the rest or the day because the floor is still wet. The main room walls have stains on them the curtains are filthy and I made the mistake of looking at the pillow under it’s cover and felt a little ill at the condition of it I thought it best not to look at the mattress. Do yourself a favour and spend the extra and avoid this hotel. This hotel had a lot going for it in the area and position but is sadly let down by it’s upkeep.

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Cosy hotel in Clarke Quay

There seems to be one million hotels in little Singapore, but very few of them I found in the "right" price level.
    Cosy Robertson Quay Hotel was though. For S$130/night (for a double room) I found a great hotel in a very nice area.

The room itself was a bit small, but small in a positive way. Enough space for luggage and with a romantic touch.
    Bathroom was kinda special, with the shower and toilet area in one. That meant that everytime one took a shower the whole bathroom was drenched. Very rarely one could get into the bathroom with socks on in other words.
    But on the other side the shower was quite huge then. :)

From the fifth floor I had a great view over the Singapore River (switched from the other side of the building where there was a view over a construction area instead...) and the pool area.
    The pool was a bit small, but very rarely plenty of people there. Whenever I wanted I could get a sun chair without problem.

Breakfast, served 6am-10am, was nice although simple. Toast, and then different versions of egg and sausage Bananas were available too, those sweet ones one never can find back in Europe. Very nice!

Then of course tea and coffee, plus water and orange juice too.
    The breakfast area is small, right beside the reception, but again never any problems to find a seat.

Internet available wi-fi from the hotel, but not for free. Free was instead the Singapore networks that the government has put up. Not the best quality, quite slow and not always working as one had wished.
    But for free.

Directions: Right next to Clemenceau Road and Clemenceau Bridge. In the Robertson Quay area.

• Robertson Quay rips customers off - stay away!!

I stayed there for several days in October / November 2007. I made a cancellation to one of my reserved nights several days in advance. They charged me for a no show anyway. The manager argues with customers and accused me of "getting my dates mixed up" and he refused to give me a refund. This hotel is not reputable and my advice is to stay away.

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo

Not exciting, but value for money

Robertson Quay Hotel offers basic rooms at a price (SGD 98 nett = USD 63) considerably lower than average in Singapore. Still expensive in absolute terms - the same money gives you also a huge bungalow near a Malaysian beach- but you cannot compare Singapore with surrounding countries for hotel prices. Considering that I found this Hotel reasonable value for money. I stayed in the RQ hotel twice myself and booked friends in here on 2 occasions as well.

It is true what you read in many reviews on the internet. Rooms are tiny, bathrooms cramped, finishing and maintenance of the rooms qutie poor. Regard the rooms just as a place to sleep rather then a living room and I'm sure you will easily come over this. All I needed was there: a clean queensize bed, hot shower, TV, safe, phone, blocnote with pen, complimentary coffee making facilities, a quiet environment, a great riverside location near lots of pubs and restaurants and so on.

A bit inconvenient is the airco - it comes with only three settings (high, medium, low), all of which I found too cold - and the blankets provided were on the thin side. Also the control panels are hardly useful.

While the hotel is on the budget side, the prices of bottled drinks in the hotel are extra ordinarily high. Fortunately, there's a supermaket almost next door (UE Mall). Make sure you bring water along.

The swimming pool is small but all right and offers river views. The breakfast buffet is very basic (nothing special).

Unique Quality: As for service, don't expect too much.

I had a funny incident happened around midnight upon check in. I collected the key of my room but when I put the key card in the holder everything remained dark. No lights at all seemed to work. So I went down 9 floors again to address this to the receptionists. One of the gentlemen mentioned that there was a switch at the wardrobe that I should turn down. If it still didn't work I had to call them by room phone. In the darkness I couldn't find any switch and neither could I read the instructions on the telephone. So I went down again and one of them came now along. I had to keep my roomdoor open to allowed some light in, while he took a hanger, climbed on a chair and started smashing the thing against the wall far out of reach above the wardrobe. Only after numerous attempts he succeeded. I had a better look at the switches, there were 7 tiny ones in a row.

I wondered how these guys could possibly think that I would be able to find the right one myself, or find one at all, in the sheer darkness...guess they had a lot of fun together sending me up...

• Stentorian's Profile Photo

My Biggest Disappointment.

I stayed there for 5 days.Though I stayed at Singapore for 27 days.It was the biggest disappointment during my singapore tour. The room was so small, when I entered into the room, I was shocked to see ash on the dressing table.The bathroom was so small that even my tiny body can hardly fit into it. Moreover, the bathroom DOESN'T HAVE a door.It was a 2 nad a half feet wide and 7 feet long passage separated by single part sliding door. Bed was a good one. I paid USD 70 per night. I will never stay there again. I moved from there and stayed at the other hotel.

Unique Quality: Lift was good with decoration. The continental food was also good. But Drink is very expensive. I paid S$11 for a bottle of beer. Damn it! The roof top pool was a nightmare. It's only 3 feet deep with very cold water. The ONLY good reason to stay is, The Fun Area of Singapore, Mohammad Sultan Road is just 2 min walk from the hotel.

• Tanechka's Profile Photo

Good accomodation for low money

I was lucky to stay in that hotel. First it was centrally located. Second - the stuff was very helpful .

• Arjaree's Profile Photo

Decent But Disappointed

The second trip to S'pore we stayed at Robertson Quay Hotel. When I booked online I expected it to be big, at least bigger than City Bay View - the hotel I stayed last time. I was disappointed when I saw the hotel and the room. It was decent but I would prefer to stay at City Bay View next time. The room is too small for the price compared to CBV. The swimming pool is rather small. What's cool about it is there is a water slide.

Book online could be a little cheaper.

Directions: Not so far from Novotel or Clarke Quay

• design, quiet & close to downtown

This hotel is just a 10 minutes walk from many tourist attractions. It's in a quiet residential aerea (although there are several good restaurants and bars close to the hotel).

Regular rooms are small and chilly (powerful airco) and very quiet. Staff is young & helpfull but very cool.

I stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed the breakfast room (with free internet while finishing my tea) and the outside swimming pool : a glass tank on one of the roofs with a superb view over the city.

Unique Quality: design à la Starck ; good value for money ; very silent rooms ; good situation

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Good value hotel by the river!

I stayed at the Robertson Quay Hotel for 3 nights in December 2005.

A couple of weeks previous I had stayed at the excellent Sleepy Sam's Hostel in Singapore (see other tip) and would have returned there but for the fact that I wanted a little more luxury (air conditioning, satellite TV, private bathroom) for my final few days in Singapore.

So, while in Kuala Lumpur I searched for a reasonably priced hotel (in either the Orchard Road or Singapore River districts) and spotted this hotel on www.hostelworld.com. The price per night was approx. 32 GBP (including a very good breakfast) which, while considerably more expensive than the hostel, was still much cheaper than most hotels in the surrounding area.

For my money, I got a small (but clean and well-equipped) en-suite room in a very good location overlooking Singapore River. While the room (a "superior queen" room) was small, it was ok for me as I was alone. I suspect the room is used to accommodate couples, in which case it would get kind of cramped in there.

The facilities in the room included tea and coffee making facilities, a large comfortable bed, a good air conditioning system, satellite TV (with various international channels), a safe deposit box, a telephone, a dressing table/desk, a bedside clock and a wardrobe. Maid service was daily.

Breakfast consisted of cereals, toast and jam, 2 different types of eggs (from hard boiled, scrambled, fried and omelettes), sausages, baked beans, coffee, tea and ice cold fruit juice. Breakfast is buffet-style and you can eat as much as you like. If your room rate doesn't include breakfast, it can be purchased for S$8 (approx 3 GBP) per day.

Facilities in the hotel include a swimming pool and a gym (neither of which I ever visited), Internet access in reception and snacks for sale in the ground floor restaurant. Free luggage storage is also offered.

Unique Quality: The best thing about this hotel is its riverside location and the fact that it is much cheaper than other hotels in a similar location. The nightlife of Clarke Quay and Mohamed Sultan Road can both be reached on foot in about 5 minutes, while Orchard Road is a 10-15 minute walk away.

Many rooms (mine included) have great views over the river and are clean and well-equipped, despite being on the small side.

A good value, mid-range hotel in a great location.

Directions: Robertson Quay, close to the river. Near Clemenceau Bridge.

• freshia's Profile Photo

Budget Accomodation near Clarke Quay

I only stayed there for a night. We were on our way to NZ but decided to spend 2 days first in Singapore to shop :P I got this hotel from internet, looks like a good value for SIN$80/night (exclude breakfast). I booked it via www.expedia.com
    The hotel turned to be quite a walk from Clarke Quay MRT station. Luckily we stored our big luggage in the airport and only carrying small backpack. It's a compact little hotel and quite new. The bedroom and bathroom (shower only) is very small but they have cable TV. After talking to the receptionist we found out that there is a bus stop very near from the hotel and there is a bus to Orchard Road (Yippe....!)
    It's quite a good value for such price. It's cheaper than most hotels in Orchard (Orchard Hotels can cost ($100-$120) and generally lousy except for the luxury hotel such as Mariott and Mandarin. This hotel despite the size, is clean and has a swimming pool (didn't have a chance to swim though)

• grahamopey's Profile Photo

Small rooms - but good location

The Robetson Quay hotel is on the cheaper side of the hotels in Singapore, costing around s$100 per night. The room I stayed in was pretty small but it does benefit by being just across the road from a small complex of shops and bars and is a mere 10 minute walk to Clarke Quay.

O.K. so I didn't make use of the gym, pool, sightseeing tours or babysitting services but hey - it served it's purpose.

Unique Quality: Nice bar next to the river, good access to facilities, friendly and helpful staff. Close enough to the main centre to shop, eat and drink, far enough away to just r-e-l-a-x.

• lukky's Profile Photo

An OK hotel

I found great rates for this hotel online (through wwte.com). It is very near a supermarket and within walking distance to the MRT (it's probably also possible to walk to Orchard Rd), so it's at a convenient location even though it's not right in the center of the city. Many of the rooms overlook the river.

The room I stayed in was quite small but definitely enough space for one or two persons. It had TV and an electric kettle so you could make coffee or tea.

However, the bed sheets had stains on them, and the kettle in my room was dirty. Apart from that, the room was clean. I guess it was OK for the price that I paid, but I wouldn't pay their normal price for that room.

Unique Quality: Broadband internet connection in the rooms (an extra S$5 per day) and the lobby has a bar and a couple of computers where you can access the internet as well (I don't know the cost for that). I think there is also a pool but I didn't try it.

Directions: Near the river and Fort Canning Park

More about Robertson Quay Hotel

Alkaff Bridge, Robertson QuayAlkaff Bridge, Robertson Quay

Oxford hotel (queen str) or Robertson Quay

by sorcieus

Hi

Has anyone stayed in these hotels before?
I am contemplating between the two.

Re: Oxford hotel (queen str) or Robertson Quay

by chiabh

hi ellin,

when are you going to singapore... haven't stayed in oxford hotel but heard that it is clean and comfortable...if you will let me know your requirements.. perhaps i can recommend you some good hotels in singapore which i visit often...

regards.chia

Re: Re: Oxford hotel (queen str) or Robertson Quay

by sorcieus

Thanks for your respond.
I am still contemplating the two.

Have you ever used singapore priceline service?
I am their loyal customer for US market.
I wonder if I should just use them again this time.

Re: Re: Oxford hotel (queen str) or Robertson Quay

by vyxxyn

Oxford Hotel has a better location, and bigger rooms. RQ hotel rooms are one of the smallest in Singapore. And for that price, I'd not recommend it. Cheap is not always good. RQ is relatively new and clean, but the rooms are really crammed, the bed takes up about 95% of the room already. I am not joking. Why don't you try Strand Hotel? Bit old but value for money, and spacious for that price range. Excelsior Hotel is about same quality as Strand, more central for shoppers. Strand Hotel's location's ideal for keen diners.

Re: Oxford hotel (queen str) or Robertson Quay

by aprilnana

ok, I've not stayed at either. In fact, I don't even know of Oxford. But if you like nightlife, Robertson Quay sounds great. It's easy access to Chinatown and Orchard Road too. There is a shopping mall nearby if you need to do grocery.

Comments