22 Orange Grove Rd., Singapore, 258350, Singapore

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Jenelle7's Profile Photo

Shangri-La Heaven

Where do I start. We arrived at the Shangri-La on the 12th November for the start of our honeymoon. We were staying in the Valley Wing and as soon as we entered the reception, we were whisked away upstairs to our room for check-in. Upon entering our room, I became slightly confused as it was not what we had booked. When I questioned this, the check-in staff member replied that the Shangri-La had upgraded us for our honeymoon.
    We were upgraded to a City View Suite and had our own Butler!!! Though for the life of me, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to ask the Butler to do, so we didn't use him on our two night stay.
    As soon as we had been checked in and the door closed behind our Butler, both my husband and I started jumping around like school kids. The room was absolutely beautiful, there was complmentary chocolates and a congratulations cake for us, and I was also presented with an orchid on arrival. We even found our names printed on Business Cards in the desk drawer!!
    The bathroom was something else, with doube vanity, seperate toilet and a tv above the spa!!
    That evening, before dinner, we went downstairs to the lounge for some free drinks. The lounge is beautiful, but we felt very out of place, as we were dressed in what I would call Smart Casual clothes, but everyone else there was dressed in Chanel and Prada and Gucci etc. We ate in the Line restaurant that night and had the buffet. It was amazing, so much choice, and very fresh, but for S$90 per person, you would hope that it was. It was worth it though, and we were on our honeymoon, so why not.
    We had breakfast one morning at the Line and one morning at the Valley Wing Summit Room. The Line was much more inviting and comfortable to us, as the Summit Room was a little too posh for us.
    Overall, our stay was fantastic, and I would certainly stay at this hotel again, just maybe not in the Valley Wing, as we felt very out of place, which you really don't want on your holiday.

Liked — The beautiful suite and helpful staff
    Disliked — Very business oriented and slightly uncomfortable for us

Unique Quality: The pool was probably the best that we have seen in Singapore, almost a resort feel, with lots of greenery and squirrels playing around in the trees.

Directions: Just off Orchard Rd

• jamie_uk's Profile Photo

Faultless

If you can afford it, I recommend this place wholeheartedly.
    Great facilities for business, especially in the Tower Wing, but also great for a leisure break.
    Large tropical garden and pool area, great restaurants, peerless service.
    This is often where VIP's choose to stay when in town.
    I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about it.

Unique Quality: Buffet restaurant 'The Line' is the BEST buffet place I have ever visited - the choice has to be seen to be believed.

Pool area has a lovely garden which feels like tropical forest rather than the city.

Shangri-La service is the best I have experienced.

Directions: 5 mins walk north of Orchard / Tanglin Road.

• chrisruns's Profile Photo

One of the best in Singapore

I had to travel to Singapore quite a bit for business. The Shangri la was the perfect hotel to have to stay in during my travels. It is very comfortable, clean, and has all the facilities I need (a good fitness center is a must for me).

Unique Quality: the pool and fitness center is nice, and I enjoy the afternoon tea delivery to the room.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

5 Star hotel in lush downtown

I enjoyed of staying at this strategic location at the end of Orchard Road and yet hidden in a lush green belt area with its own waterfall and gardens.

The gym is well equiped with sauna and jacuzzi and you see a lot of greenery. The service is excellent and many fine restaurants to choose from.

Only thing is that it is not close to a MRT statio. So use the taxi or take a 10 minutes stroll to Orchard Road.

• awladhassan's Profile Photo

Central.

Close to Orchard Street, and the shopping district.
    It's not the best 5 star hotel I've ever stayed at, but came part of a package from Emirates Airlines.
    All the usual facilities for businessmen are available.
    The exchange rate at the hotel was not very good.
    The food was good, especially the burgers.

Unique Quality: It has a very nice swimming hotel.

Directions: near Orchard Road

• Superb and Never Disappointed, Excellent service

We stayed in the Palm section which was beautiful and could walk to Orchard Avenue. We had a beautiful view of the gardens and pool, and the bathtub even had a television. THere was Japanese tea service on the en-suite table when we arrived, with a large selection of coffees and teas that we could naje ub-room. It had huge closets and service was impeccable. When entering the Palm Suite we were greeted with free champagne and snacks, a smile and a comfortable seat. This was available all day long.

If had to search for flaws which I found only in their eggs benedict which were overcooked the first time, and the second time, the egg yellow was missing.

I was not so happy with the in-room body massage service which could have been better. The HongKong Shangri-La massage is much better. Everything else was outstanding and we are happy to pay the price for this level of service. Well done.

Unique Quality: Impeccable service.
    Beautiful hostesses and hospitable hosts.

Directions: 7 minute walk to Orchard road and restaurants.

• truesally's Profile Photo

Lovely & Lush - but birds for alarm clocks

The room was comfortable with a small veranda on which lovely, fragrant flowers were growing. Fresh fruit was delivered each afternoon with complimentary water (do not drink tap water anywhere in Asia) and a pot of hot tea.

There was a cafeteria-style restaurant where we had breakfast vouchers each day. It was unclear which areas we were allowed to choose from; my husband took something from each station and no one reprimanded him. The espresso drinks were different from our expectations, but not bad. There is also a separate deli with cases full of pastries that are half-price at closing.

At the top of the tower-side of the hotel, we ate at Blu. Normally we avoid any American-style food when travelling but this came highly recommended and with a coupon in the room :) The food was delicious, not too outrageously expensive (around $100US for dinner & drinks), but the view was worth it. I think we could see the entire island from there, and the sky was gorgeously colored at sunset. We were startled & amazed to see a gecko clinging to the wall outside our window. Service was pleasant and prompt.

This was our first stop on our trip and I didn't realize doing your own laundry in Asia is considered ridiculous. I found a number for a "Laundry Room" in the directory and received directions for how to get there. I loaded my bag, grabbed my coins & book, and headed out. At the lobby, the concierge very graciously explained the "Laundry Room" is only for apartment guests (different part of the hotel) and I would need to leave my items for their service. I actually like doing laundry, wanted to read while I waited for my husband, and was horrified at the prices charged by the hotel ($200 for our couple outfits; I washed undergarments in our bathroom - there is a retractable clothesline).

The front desk was extremely helpful - changing money, selling stamps, writing directions, and arranging for cabs. Taxis are usually waiting outside and the queue is very organized.

Unique Quality: The garden side of the hotel is more expensive (we found out later) and although gorgeous, not entirely worth the extra price. It is a lush courtyard filled with tropical plants (most labeled) and koi ponds - the downside is the loud birds who attracted to this area at 5am...We were awakened everyday by their not-pleasant chirping.

There is a large pool and average-sized spa by the gardens, but also just outside the glass-walled restaurant.

Live jazz was playing most nights in the main lobby and complimentary small desserts & tea were available.

Directions: A good hike from Orchard Road shopping area, but possible

• The best hotel in Singapore?

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stopover on the way back from Sydney earlier this year. We arrived late in the evening tired after the flight. The welcome could not have been warmer. The hotel is very luxurious and the attention to detail is almost overwhelming.
    Our room rate included breakfast as well as free champagne, cocktails etc throughout our stay. So although the room rate initially appears quite steep the final bill does not have pages of extras.
    The hotel is very handy for the shops of Orchard Road.

Unique Quality: The hotel pool is beautiful and set in lush gardens. During the day staff bring round complimentary cold face cloths, fruit and iced water.
    If you choose you can get a foot massage by the pool - very relaxing and quite good value.
    The "Line" restaurant is the more casual of the dining options and is open 24 hours. The buffet in the evening has to be seen to be believed with a vast array of freshly prepared dishes from around the world.
    The service at every level is amazing. The staff appear to anticipate what you are going to ask for. But they are never intrusive. It is a very relaxing experience.

More about Shangri-La Singapore

advice on singapore and borneo

by 98apple

Hi this is a first time user, we are going to singapore in september 05 for 3 days and then onto borneo for 12 days staying at shangri la hotels (tanjung in borneo) but need to know what is best to take UK currency or travellers cheque (don't believe in using cards)as both countries have different currency and what gets the best deal us dollers or sterling any advice would be gratefull, also any other tips would be very gratefull to recieve on either country many thanks thanks

by DarkRay

For Singapore, both UK currency and travellers cheque (either Thomas Cook or Amex) can be easily converted to Singapore dollars at money changers available literally all over Singapore.

Check with the reception at your place of accomodation (Shangri La Singapore?) and I am sure they will be happy to refer you to one. Please do not change at a hotel though because they will give you some of the worst exchange rates around. Nearby Shangri La, it is the Orchard Road shopping belt and the exchange rates of the money changers there will be a little higher than most other areas, and similar to that at Changi Airport.

As for other tips, a lot of VTers have different opinions on what constitute as "tips" to a traveller. I suggest maybe telling us if you have anything specific in mind or you will get a whole range of replies. Just browse around VT for the pages on both countries. I am sure you will find something you like.

Hope this helps.... :-)

by xuessium

HI! You are welcome to take a look at my VT pages on Singapore. I am not sure what you have in mind for 3 days so hopefully you can trawl for some useful tips, if not on my page, from other VTers as well. The UK Sterling Pound is a "common" foreign currency here so you should not have any problems exchanging them into the Singapore Dollar. It's about ~S$3.1 to the UK1Pound now.

by colin_bramso

Don't even think about changing Sterling to US$ first. It means you then have a second change from $ into the local currency, so you pay commission/charges twice.

Comments