Shangri-La Singapore

See Amenities
Jenelle7's Profile Photo

Shangri-La Heaven

by written on May 5, 2008

Where do I start. We arrived at the Shangri-La on the 12th November for the start of our honeymoon. We were staying in the Valley Wing and as soon as we entered the reception, we were whisked away upstairs to our room for check-in. Upon entering our room, I became slightly confused as it was not what we had booked. When I questioned this, the check-in staff member replied that the Shangri-La had upgraded us for our honeymoon.
We were upgraded to a City View Suite and had our own Butler!!! Though for the life of me, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to ask the Butler to do, so we didn't use him on our two night stay.
As soon as we had been checked in and the door closed behind our Butler, both my husband and I started jumping around like school kids. The room was absolutely beautiful, there was complmentary chocolates and a congratulations cake for us, and I was also presented with an orchid on arrival. We even found our names printed on Business Cards in the desk drawer!!
The bathroom was something else, with doube vanity, seperate toilet and a tv above the spa!!
That evening, before dinner, we went downstairs to the lounge for some free drinks. The lounge is beautiful, but we felt very out of place, as we were dressed in what I would call Smart Casual clothes, but everyone else there was dressed in Chanel and Prada and Gucci etc. We ate in the Line restaurant that night and had the buffet. It was amazing, so much choice, and very fresh, but for S$90 per person, you would hope that it was. It was worth it though, and we were on our honeymoon, so why not.
We had breakfast one morning at the Line and one morning at the Valley Wing Summit Room. The Line was much more inviting and comfortable to us, as the Summit Room was a little too posh for us.
Overall, our stay was fantastic, and I would certainly stay at this hotel again, just maybe not in the Valley Wing, as we felt very out of place, which you really don't want on your holiday.

Liked — The beautiful suite and helpful staff
Disliked — Very business oriented and slightly uncomfortable for us

Unique Quality: The pool was probably the best that we have seen in Singapore, almost a resort feel, with lots of greenery and squirrels playing around in the trees.

Directions: Just off Orchard Rd

jamie_uk's Profile Photo

by written on February 27, 2008

If you can afford it, I recommend this place wholeheartedly.
Great facilities for business, especially in the Tower Wing, but also great for a leisure break.
Large tropical garden and pool area, great restaurants, peerless service.
This is often where VIP's choose to stay when in town.
I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about it.

Unique Quality: Buffet restaurant 'The Line' is the BEST buffet place I have ever visited - the choice has to be seen to be believed.

Pool area has a lovely garden which feels like tropical forest rather than the city.

Shangri-La service is the best I have experienced.

Directions: 5 mins walk north of Orchard / Tanglin Road.

chrisruns's Profile Photo

One of the best in Singapore

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 18, 2007

I had to travel to Singapore quite a bit for business. The Shangri la was the perfect hotel to have to stay in during my travels. It is very comfortable, clean, and has all the facilities I need (a good fitness center is a must for me).

Unique Quality: the pool and fitness center is nice, and I enjoy the afternoon tea delivery to the room.

SLLiew's Profile Photo

5 Star hotel in lush downtown

by written on October 3, 2006

I enjoyed of staying at this strategic location at the end of Orchard Road and yet hidden in a lush green belt area with its own waterfall and gardens.

The gym is well equiped with sauna and jacuzzi and you see a lot of greenery. The service is excellent and many fine restaurants to choose from.

Only thing is that it is not close to a MRT statio. So use the taxi or take a 10 minutes stroll to Orchard Road.

awladhassan's Profile Photo

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 12, 2006

Close to Orchard Street, and the shopping district.
It's not the best 5 star hotel I've ever stayed at, but came part of a package from Emirates Airlines.
All the usual facilities for businessmen are available.
The exchange rate at the hotel was not very good.
The food was good, especially the burgers.

Unique Quality: It has a very nice swimming hotel.

Directions: near Orchard Road

Superb and Never Disappointed, Excellent service

by written on January 10, 2006

We stayed in the Palm section which was beautiful and could walk to Orchard Avenue. We had a beautiful view of the gardens and pool, and the bathtub even had a television. THere was Japanese tea service on the en-suite table when we arrived, with a large selection of coffees and teas that we could naje ub-room. It had huge closets and service was impeccable. When entering the Palm Suite we were greeted with free champagne and snacks, a smile and a comfortable seat. This was available all day long.

If had to search for flaws which I found only in their eggs benedict which were overcooked the first time, and the second time, the egg yellow was missing.

I was not so happy with the in-room body massage service which could have been better. The HongKong Shangri-La massage is much better. Everything else was outstanding and we are happy to pay the price for this level of service. Well done.

Unique Quality: Impeccable service.
Beautiful hostesses and hospitable hosts.

Directions: 7 minute walk to Orchard road and restaurants.

truesally's Profile Photo

Lovely & Lush - but birds for alarm clocks

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 5, 2006

The room was comfortable with a small veranda on which lovely, fragrant flowers were growing. Fresh fruit was delivered each afternoon with complimentary water (do not drink tap water anywhere in Asia) and a pot of hot tea.

There was a cafeteria-style restaurant where we had breakfast vouchers each day. It was unclear which areas we were allowed to choose from; my husband took something from each station and no one reprimanded him. The espresso drinks were different from our expectations, but not bad. There is also a separate deli with cases full of pastries that are half-price at closing.

At the top of the tower-side of the hotel, we ate at Blu. Normally we avoid any American-style food when travelling but this came highly recommended and with a coupon in the room :) The food was delicious, not too outrageously expensive (around $100US for dinner & drinks), but the view was worth it. I think we could see the entire island from there, and the sky was gorgeously colored at sunset. We were startled & amazed to see a gecko clinging to the wall outside our window. Service was pleasant and prompt.

This was our first stop on our trip and I didn't realize doing your own laundry in Asia is considered ridiculous. I found a number for a "Laundry Room" in the directory and received directions for how to get there. I loaded my bag, grabbed my coins & book, and headed out. At the lobby, the concierge very graciously explained the "Laundry Room" is only for apartment guests (different part of the hotel) and I would need to leave my items for their service. I actually like doing laundry, wanted to read while I waited for my husband, and was horrified at the prices charged by the hotel ($200 for our couple outfits; I washed undergarments in our bathroom - there is a retractable clothesline).

The front desk was extremely helpful - changing money, selling stamps, writing directions, and arranging for cabs. Taxis are usually waiting outside and the queue is very organized.

Unique Quality: The garden side of the hotel is more expensive (we found out later) and although gorgeous, not entirely worth the extra price. It is a lush courtyard filled with tropical plants (most labeled) and koi ponds - the downside is the loud birds who attracted to this area at 5am...We were awakened everyday by their not-pleasant chirping.

There is a large pool and average-sized spa by the gardens, but also just outside the glass-walled restaurant.

Live jazz was playing most nights in the main lobby and complimentary small desserts & tea were available.

Directions: A good hike from Orchard Road shopping area, but possible

The best hotel in Singapore?

by written on December 1, 2005

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stopover on the way back from Sydney earlier this year. We arrived late in the evening tired after the flight. The welcome could not have been warmer. The hotel is very luxurious and the attention to detail is almost overwhelming.
Our room rate included breakfast as well as free champagne, cocktails etc throughout our stay. So although the room rate initially appears quite steep the final bill does not have pages of extras.
The hotel is very handy for the shops of Orchard Road.

Unique Quality: The hotel pool is beautiful and set in lush gardens. During the day staff bring round complimentary cold face cloths, fruit and iced water.
If you choose you can get a foot massage by the pool - very relaxing and quite good value.
The "Line" restaurant is the more casual of the dining options and is open 24 hours. The buffet in the evening has to be seen to be believed with a vast array of freshly prepared dishes from around the world.
The service at every level is amazing. The staff appear to anticipate what you are going to ask for. But they are never intrusive. It is a very relaxing experience.

Nearby Shangri-La Singapore

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Singapore Travel Forum

Need advice about Singapore, Singapore? Visit the Travel Forum for Singapore and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Singapore hotel reviews