York Hotel Singapore

York Hotel
Agoda.com Orbitz.com Asiatravel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• alcyone's Profile Photo

Good location for a mid-budget hotel

It's our second stay at York Hotel Singapore. We chose this hotel because it's near Mt. Elizabeth Hospital (parents need medical check up). And..it's just 10-15mins walk to Orchard Road which offer shopping paradise and food in various shopping malls.
    We booked the room via internet for S$220 (exclusive tax and breakfast) per night for a deluxe room.
    The room was spacious and although it was a smoking room *we asked for a non-smoking room, but apparently the hotel was fully booked. There was no smoke odor anywhere.

The staff was quite helpful though some are somewhat rude, and they look busy most of the time.

I won't recommend this hotel for elderly who has problem walking quite a long walk or weak feet. It's quite tiring to walk back to the hotel from Orchard Road, and it's quite an uphill kind of road.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Hotel at Mt. Elizabeth, downtown

Stayed at this 4 Star hotel for a business trip.

Hotel has an old world charm. It is located on a small hill slope and so if you walk back to the hotel from Orchard, it is a good short climb up.

It is downtown and a bit quieter than Orchard Road hotels.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

4 Star Hotel near Orchard Road

Stayed for a few nights on a company trip at York Hotel.

Excellent room facilities and has a English homely ambience.

It is a short walk to Orchard Road but walking uphill back to the hotel, I can do without.

Has the advantage of being more quiet, ust being outside the busy hustle and bustle of Orchard.

Directions: Near Orchard Road

• Hewer's Profile Photo

The York!

I stayed at the York Hotel for four nights in October 2004. I had been there as part of a work conference a few years earlier and decided to come back.

It was a good place to stay, though I found it a bit frustrating having to walk uphill from Orchard Road every time I returned to the hotel. It`s probably ok if you aren`t planning to do much shopping, but a ten minute-walk turns into an arduous trek if you are laden with shopping bags. Mind you, the taxis are cheap so why am I complaining?

Promotional material for the hotel always shows a vast, grandiose, sloping structure. The entire time I was there, I couldn`t figure out where they had taken these pictures from. Bottom line, in this case at least, it`s what`s inside that counts.

Unique Quality: The porters and concierge at the York are outstanding. They are always ready to help out.

The international calling rates from the room are CHEAP! I have never experienced this before. My phone bill was as follows:

England 7 minutes: S$2.39
    Canada 3 minutes: S$1.70

Obviously you should check with reception first, but if you plan to make a lot of calls, then this is a convenient option.

Directions: Close to the intersection of Scotts and Orchard Road (10 minutes` walk). Mount Elizabeth runs off Orchard Road near Takashimaya.

More about York Hotel Singapore

Our opinion of the York Hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member EnglandKatie

My husband and I have had just a two night stay in the York Hotel. I wish it could have been longer. We where upgraded to a rather old fashiond but very clean and comfortable self contained apartment on the ground floor by the pool. We enjoyed every minute of our stay and found the staff to be really great. There is lots of improvments being made to the hotel at the moment, but none of them intruded on our stay. I think that the alterations do need to be done to bring the York up to the standard that people will expect of a Singapore Hotel. But in saying that, the Hotel is good value for money , and i would go there again. One little thing that I would have liked is that there was someone who could have helped with our cases when we first arrived. My husband and I are geting on a bit and we did struggle on our own after such a long flight. But I do not wish to moan, as I am sure that was just an oversite!! I would like to say thanks to the staff and I hope we see them again one day.

Our favourite on Orchard Rd. area

by biawak about The York Hotel

The York Hotel is actually in the back of the old Goodwood Hotel. It is not very expensive for a hotel with access to Scotts Rd/Orchard Rd. It's clean and well managed. The wake up calls are on time but the Room Service is not so complete at night. The pool is OK but we've never tried it. We wanted to try the jacuzzi but it is closed at night! The breakfast buffet is OK as well. The best thing is that it is located within walking distance to the corner of Orchard rd. and Scotts rd.

Cute Boutique Hotel

by Hewer about Elizabeth Hotel

I went to this hotel on a work trip and I thought it was quite good. It had a nice exterior, convenient facilities and not too far from Orchard Road.

Overall, it seems a bit glitzier than the 3.5 star rating. Pretty difficult to split it from the York Hotel across the street. The Elizabeth looks better but the York has a nicer pool... This is a pretty reliable hotel. The staff are friendly and seem quite genuine.

It's about a ten minute walk up from Orchard Road - all uphill. Basically it's just far enough for it to be a hassle and just short enough for you to feel embarrassed getting a taxi, if you know what I mean...

wound not stay again

My husband, daughter (aged 8 years) and I stayed at the York Hotel in April 2006 for a two day stop over on route to Europe.

We found this hotel to be rather run down with wall paper peeling in the bedroom and the baftroom had chipped and rather grubby tiles.We had booked a triple room and my daughters bed was made up on a couch which was covered in a plastic material and was very uncomfortable. The room looked out onto a very unattractive concrete courtyard.

The York Hotel is listed as a four star hotel we feel there is no way it deserves this listing. We have stayed in Singapore three times in the last 5 years and have always stayed at 4/5 star hotels. The other hotels we have stayed at were of a much hgher standard than the York Hotel.

We would definately not stay there again.

For Travellers with a small Budget

by TripAdvisor Member Riaz_Ali

The York Hotel in Singapore is ideal for budget travellers. The hotel is relatively inexpensive and the service is excellent. We stayed two nights at the hotel which was always clean and very presentable. The breakfast was very good; however the seating was a bit cramped. The hotel is a distance from the Orchard Street. Even though the hotel boasts no views, it is a clean, cheap hotel.

a poor hotel, overall

by TripAdvisor Member Irvinedoc

I stayed at the York hotel for two weeks on a business trip and my family were with me for the first week. in general this is a poor hotel and it has a number of failings.
1. the staff in general are difficult and make it plain they would rather not help you. most of the staff at reception were poor. they avoided eye contact and gave you clear messages that you were interupting their day, rather than they were there to help you. the staff at breakfast varied, but the head waiter's main job was to find out that you had signed for your breakfast. and after two weeks of being there this interaction with him got on my nerves. he had no other purpose it would seem.
2. rooms were basic and uncomfortable. our beds were very hard, almost like sleeping on a shelf and my wife found she was sore in the mornings.
3. very little hot water in the morning, not enough to shave with, never mind a bath or shower
I can't think of other specifics. there are lots of hotels in singapore. this is a cheap hotel, but you are very much getting what you paid for.

The York Hotel pool areaThe York Hotel pool area

York Hotel, Near Orchard Road

by BritBabe1

Hi there! I am planning a trip to Singapore and have been looking at staying at the York Hotel just off Orchard Road. Is this a good hotel?

RE: York Hotel, Near Orchard Road

by xuessium

HI!

I have never stayed there but location wise, it's a little off Orchard Road, tucked away at the end of a dead-end street. It's about a 15-minutes walk to the hotel from the main road. The pros: You get your peace & quiet along noisy Orchard Road.

Just my 2 cents worth....

RE: York Hotel, Near Orchard Road

by DarkRay

The Hotel itself, while being near Orchard MRT Station, is a little off Orchard Road and I personally don't like that you need to climb up a small hill to reach it.

Although the hotel is somewhat old (with their superior rooms looking worse for the color than the deluxe rooms - not sure why), it is well managed by the Goodwood Park Group. Service is okay and it serves a more than decent breakfast for a 4-star hotel (the weekend spread is especially sumptuous). I consider it a standard tourist class hotel for package groups.

Hope this helps.... :-)

by BritBabe1

Many thanks for your replies. Much appreciated!

Dark Ray - which 4* hotel would you recommend for a 3 day short stay in Singapore near or on Orchard Road?

by DarkRay

Hi BritBabe1! For 4-stars hotel in the Orchard vicinity, I personally would prefer the Holiday Inn Parkview for location. It is a 10 minutes walk away from Orchard MRT Station and is near major shopping centres such as Centrepoint, and Orchard Point. Lots of interesting eateries nearby as well. It also serves a fantastic breakfast spread. Only thing I did not like was that its service while good, felt "clinical" and they use pillows which in my opinion are way to soft to support my over-sized head (hehe :-P).

However, if you do not mind being a little further away (it's at one end of Orchard Road near Tanglin and is a 15 minutes walk away from Orchard MRT Station), the award winning Orchard Hotel is a very good bet with excellent room and excellent service.

Do note that Orchard Hotel is next to Orchard Towers, a seedy establishment which has a dubious reputation of having part of its shopping arcade known as the "4 floor of whores". But whatever seediness is confined within the Orchard Towers building and some people may actually consider it an attraction of sorts!

Just my 2 cents.... :-)

by BritBabe1

Many thanks Dark Ray for your prompt response! It is very much appreciated and it's great to get a locals' perspective on the hotels!

I'm relatively new to the VT site and I think it's a fantastic site for travellers!

BB1