Gwangju Kukje Tourist Hotel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Gwangju

Rising from the mistRising from the mist

suinstru_losuinstru_lo

Dodgem CarsDodgem Cars

Soswaewon gardenSoswaewon garden

by Dannyfe

I don't have a picture at the moment but I suppose I was wondering, generally, am I likely to bump into other Westerners; I wouldn't be too concerned normally but I just wanted to know in case I need the advice of some who are already out there??

by LAOWAI

Read the section on Korea in BLOWBACK by Chambers Johnson and you will get an idea. The 80s were not good times for Kwangju- in 1980 at least 3,000 civilians were massacred by the Korean military with America's full support. It has been suggested that America ordered it because America controlled/ s the Korean military apparently...

Re: Re: What can I expect when I arrive in Gwangju, South Korea? (I know it's a big question!!)

by Christianzagar

I've only visited Gwangju once, but it seemed like a nice place.... has a lot of interesting things to see (concerning the May 18th masacre) There is a pretty decent downtown area, and a few foriegners here and there. The Korean people I met there were friendly... I visited on the May 18th anniversary, and it was one of my highlights of Korea (so far) I'm pretty sure some people on vt live in Gwangju, you'll probably get more information if you contact them personally...

Travel Tips for Gwangju

May 18th Liberty Hall

by MEdelmann

It was built in memorial to all the people who where killed or arrested from the dictators during the rebellion in 1983.

It is situated next to the police camp.... and it also shows the way of Korea from a dictatorship to a modern democracy.

Wolchulsan - Just a hop, skip and a jump away.

by skootter01

Wolchulsan is a small mountain about an hour out of Gwangju. You can get there by bus via the town of Yeong-am. In Yeong-am you will have to transfer to a city bus that will take you out to the trailhead. Don't worry, it's fairly easy to do and the desk staff is helpful, even though their English is limited.

Once at the park you head past a small camping area and a bizarre sculpture park to get to the trailhead. From there it's a strenuous hike up to the summit, crossing a 52m suspension bridge along the way. The views down the valley are great and there aren't as many people as there can be along more popular mountain trails.

As an option, try walking back to Yeong-am when you are finished. It takes about 40-50 minutes along the country road at the base of the mountain. You'll pass by some rice fields as well as some persimmon orchards and get a chance to see a little of the Korean countryside.

Comments