272-34 Youn-Dong, Jeju City, 59000, South Korea

AMOMA.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• stamporama's Profile Photo

Not fit for royals

The hotel is centrally located and is just a block from the main pedestrian street where restos and shops abound. The design looks old and tired (seems like 60's vintage) as well as its furniture, the ground floor restaurant is only occupied during breakfast and serves only continental fare. Most guests are either Koreans or Chinese who take their breakfast at the second floor resto that serve Asian food that Western tourists are unlikely to eat. There is a sauna and massage service at the basement but no pool.

The bedroom is nothing to crow about. The mattress is firm and the pillows are too thin it could make your neck ache in the morning. The bathroom sink is as high as your mid-thigh which made me wonder what sort of guests the hotel cater to. It is not standard for them to provide big, cotton bath towels but only a pair of hand towels that's made of cotton and another non-absorbent material.

Overall, I was not satisfied with this hotel and I stayed here only because I was invited over and my stay was paid for (so I don't know the room rates).

More about Jeju (city)

Wood-and-rock sculptureWood-and-rock sculpture

A Mischievious Foul, Jeju. Pic: Aaron IrvingA Mischievious Foul, Jeju. Pic: Aaron Irving

Going to Jeju for 3 nights - any suggestions?

by pkhrjhdh

Hi
I will be going with my husband to Jeju for 3 nights we are staying near the beach in the north west (near the dragon rock i think!) we will hire a car for the time we are there and wondered where to go in the evenings?

We will be joined by a friend for 2 nights and plan to see most of the island - but as we arrive mid day we wont have time to do much on 1st day - or will we? the tour guides I have looked through all seem to say most places of interest are closed at 6pm ish (we will be there begining of September)so I am not sure where to go in the evenings we will have car so we can get to most places (just need a good map!)

We wll probably go to most of the tourist areas, my friend wondered about going up Mount Halla - does it take long??

Any suggestions welcome including places to eat!

Re: Going to Jeju for 3 nights - any suggestions?

by Kakapo2

A good idea to climb Hallasan (Mt. Halla). There are several routes, and all can be done within a day. (And you have to, as you are only allowed to climb in the national park during daylight hours.)

I do not know how fit and ambitious you are... But there are not very difficult routes for several levels of fitness. Just make sure to stay on the well marked tracks, and you will be fine.

First you have to decide on which side you want to walk. Three tracks start on the east side and two on the west side. You get detailed maps at the ticket counters at the respective entrances to the park.

The shorter tracks are on the west side: Oh Sung Sang and Yong Sil. It would take you 4 to 5 hours return.

If you start on the east side it takes you 4 to 5 hours for the ascent only, so if you are not a fast walker it takes 8 to 9 hours return. You can combine the tracks and make a loop walk.

There is information on the Visitkorea website but I find the descriptions a bit irritating... Anyway, it gives you an idea:

Start as early as possible as the weather can change fast.

I stayed in Sogwipo when I was on Jeju-do, as there are not many attractions in Jeju-shi (City), so cannot really give good info about where to go in the evenings up there. I went to restaurants in the evening, and to bars for an after dinner drink, and then back to my yogwan, so I could get up early and visit all attractions and relax.

Travel Tips for Jeju (city)

Pumpkins and a Thatched Roof?

by Hmmmm

The Gourds and Pumpkins grow very nicely on the roof, especially since both plants are water loving, and Jeju in the summer has the 'Chang Ma' or the summer monsoon. So it rains like %&$#!

These vegetables would grow huge, and in Traditional Korea these veggies were well utilised. The weight of the pumpkins and gourds would help hold down the thatch during the fierce summer rains, they would also serve as an ingredient in soups. Also they are used in Kimch'i, very spicey pickled vegetables, and eaten in the winter.

In the picture you can see that the gourd has had its flesh harvested, and is still kept intact. These dried vegetables, make naural bottles. Even entire pumpkins were dried and were used as serving dishes. In teh picture above you can see that the gourds have a elongated appendage that sticks up from the bulbous base. These gourds were dried and used as ladels....

How cool huh.

Look at the picture to the left, you can also see crudely woven rope, to which stones would have been tied as an addition roof support.

Comments