Kyongju Hotels

Our Members Say

• Mr.Sparkle profile photo Mr.Sparkle
  • Reviews: 327

Sa Rang Chae: The Best Place to stay

Gyeongju is a wonderful place with the most lackluster hotels known to man. There is only really place worth staying, and that's Sa Rang Chae.

it is a guesthouse, but its fun to sleep the traditional Korean way. We stayed here in the dead of winter and it was so awesome.

Better make reservations in advanced.

The staff has activities going on every night, from concerts to arts and crafts.

The owners are out of this world. some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Friendly dogs ;)

Multi-lingual staff.

All the guests are wonderful. Made a lot of friends.

Really cheap.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written August 20, 2010

• WStat profile photo WStat
  • Reviews: 490

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kolon Hotel: Big AND beautiful !

Kolon Hotel is a 5-star hotel in the old city of Gyeongju (Kyongju) which was once the capital city of the ancient Silla Dynasty. Located just beside Bulguksa Temple (a world-class cultural treasure), the hotel is surrounded by a wide and beautiful garden with fresh air and clean water. Guests can enjoy nearby Toham Mountain, touring Gyeongju City, spa baths, various family-oriented facilities, and even a nine-hole natural grass golf course.
Rooms are modern-style, nice furnished and offering amenities like safe, minibar, internet-access etc.There is a huge coffee-shop ("Panorama-Restaurant") adjacent to the Lobby, serving also as breakfast- and 24-hour-restaurant. A Japanese and Korean restaurant are also available,but rather expensive.

Nice and friendly waitresses in the Panorama Restaurant serve fine Korean beer and snacks.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Eco-Tourism, Road Trip, Arts and Culture
  • Written May 19, 2008

Welcome to Kolon Hotel, Gyeongju

• glazaro profile photo glazaro
  • Reviews: 25

Hanjin Hostel: Relatively Cheap Option Near The Bus Station

The room I had was a clean single with a private bath. There was no bed, only a futon or mat on the floor (it was comfy enough for me, but may not be good for people not used to living around Asia) and an old b&w TV in the room. The shower was a bit dirty, though I suppose it could've been worse. The place had what people would call character...to politely describe a building that isn't in ruins but has passed its best days. Still if you're in town on a budget, it's an acceptable option.

The best part of the experience is most likely the friendly owner, who likes to talk whether it's Korean, English, or Japanese, as he was chatting away with folks from all over. He seemed to be keen to help you get around to where you had to go. He may invite you to his lounge area for some drinks, tv and conversation. There's also a lounge area on the 2nd floor to hang out.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 27, 2007
Tip Photo

the sign can't be wrong right?

• akikonomu profile photo akikonomu
  • Reviews: 467

Sarang Chae Guesthouse

Tucked away in a narrow alley and 2 streets behind the Tumuli Park, the guesthouse is a convenient spot to orientate yourself around downtown Gyeongju. Also 15 minutes away from the main bus terminal and a short walk to the bus stops with buses heading to Namsan.

The guesthouse itself is basic and clean. Some of the rooms are situated around the gravel courtyard which is quaint and cosy.

The 2 dogs of the GH - one sleeps all day, the other is hyperactive.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 11, 2006

• trek06 profile photo trek06
  • Reviews: 155

Motel Deorim Jang

Very nice clean basic ondal room for 30,000 wan (30US) night. There are many motels behind the intercity bus terminal for 30,000 a night. I also stayed next to this motel for 40000 wan/N that had a PC with free internet in the room, a 27" flatscreen and a jet tub.
There are many of these motels/hotels to choose from.

• Written April 26, 2006

Ondal room

• mfenne profile photo mfenne
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Seo-Cheon Yeoin Suk Inn Guest House: Korean Hospitality at its best!

Getting off the bus in Kyeongju with a group of 9, our first task upon arriving was finding a place to stay. We didn't have to look far. A man who was talking to the bicycle rental guy offered us his card and a polite offer to check out the rooms in his guest house and see if we liked it. The guesthouse is about a 1 minute walk from the bus terminal and the bus stop for Bulguk-sa.

The accomodations are clean and comfortable, there are 3 rooms surrounding a common kitchen area with a bathroom and nice hot shower. Pretty typical clean well maintained guesthouse/hostel settings.

What was so special about our stay was the kindness and travel tips given by our host, Master Park Eui Young. He has lived in Kyeongju the past 30 years, speaks English and Japanese and has incredible knowledge and pride for his area.

Whatever we needed we were helped immediately with a kind smile. On the second day , we all wanted to do different things and he helped us create various itineraries. We asked for restaurant recommendations, and he took us to a local place and helped us order. He helped my group plan a bicycle tour of the country side, got us a discount on our bikes and gave us a map of the area he'd drawn himself.

If you're like me and you like to meet locals and like a personal touch to your stay, this is the place to go. Great for backpackers as the price was 15,000 won (about 15$ US) a room, divided amongst us we paid 7$ each for a memorable stay in Kyeongju.

• Related to: Road Trip, Hiking and Walking
  • Written October 16, 2005

• amambaw profile photo amambaw
  • Reviews: 176

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lotte Jang Yeogwan (Motel): From the Lonely Planet...

Another basic yeogwan. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all. The room basically consisted of a bed, a TV, a mini-fridge, and a fan. The room was relatively clean. We did, unfortunately, have a wasp's nest right outside our window and a big hole in the screen, so we kept our window shut.

One thing that didn't work out for us was our reservation. We had called ahead because it was a long weekend. When we arrived, the lady had no idea that we had even called. Be warned!

One couple that was with us on our trip had a room that was not very clean and they decided to switch to another motel. Hair all over the place, bathroom not very clean, etc.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written June 8, 2005

• i-s-a profile photo i-s-a
  • Reviews: 391

Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse: Lovely Hanok Guesthouse

Highly recommended!

Even before I actually see the place, it already earned plus points from me. I had an exhausting 5hour travel from Seoul and visited the Info Center....from there the staff called the guesthouse and the owner offered to fetch me from the bus station free of charge.

Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse is an authentic Korean house; old, rustic, homey and very charming. The compound has four separate small buildings; the main house (where the family is staying plus the adjacent receiving room cum dining room cum kitchen), the buildings at both sides (each has two separate rooms with private toilet and bath) and another near the gate with three separate rooms. There is a common toilet and bath nearby. Aside from the main building, all rooms are for paying guests.

I was lucky to have an available room since it is peak season and I was unable to make an advanced reservation. Mine is the one located near the gate, with separate toilet and bath. It is worth W20000 a night with free breakfast, computer and internet use. It is an Ondol-type room with just bed and mirror, very basic but very cute.

For the free-and-easy traveller, the owner (Mr. Choo) is very knowledgable about the place and would recommend some wonderful places for you to visit.

It is near the Tumuli Park and a few minutes walk from downtown Gyeongju.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture, Backpacking
  • Written April 26, 2005

charming hanok

• Assenczo profile photo Assenczo
  • Reviews: 619

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kolon Hotel: Modern companion of ancient temple

I would recommend this hotel to people who are golf oriented, those who want to be located close to historical monuments so they can visit them again and again, or in the case of Korea do not want to leave the European kind of hotel when staying in oriental country.

Five minute walk from Pulguksa, one of the most revered temples in Korea.
Situated on a higher ground and if on the appropriate side one can see the whole valley of Kyongju and beyound.
It has golf course and training center. Even if you are not a golfer walking around the grounds of the hotel is pleasant exercise.
Staff speaks English, Internet access.
Tourist shows. Look at my Seoul page.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written March 2, 2005

Fan Dance Show at Kolon Hotel

• amambaw profile photo amambaw
  • Reviews: 176

Royal Yeogwan: Cheap, but you get what you paid for

This motel is very close to the bus terminals (less than a block away), and only a 20 minute walk from the train station. The room was small, but very clean. The windows to the outside were big, so we were able to let lots of light in during the day. There were all the usual amenities: TV, air conditioning, in room mini-fridge, and so on.

Unfortunately, the bed was brutally hard, and there was only a blanket, no bed sheet. The pillows were quite thin as well. This was a little bit difficult for me, as I'm used to a much softer bed. My back was very achy in the morning, and I didn't sleep very well.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 22, 2004

• bpacker profile photo bpacker
  • Reviews: 1892

Kolon Hotel: Stay near Bulguksa Temple

Though this hotel is some distance away from the city centre, I'm recommending it because of its proximity to Bulguksa , its lush-really-lush open parks, jade-green lake and the bath that overlooks all these marvelous greenery. The room, on the other hand, was only so-so with musty smelling carpets that gave me a frightful static shock . But at $100, I can't really complain. This is way cheaper than any of the hotels in the Bomun Lake Area!

The lovely bath that I mentioned earlier is the highlight of staying in this place. Unlike the fake hot baths you sometimes get in Japan, this one is au naturel as it gets all its water from a sodium bicarbonate hot spring underground. It's bloody hot too. At about 40c, the heat is probably enough to boil a small egg so it takes some getting used to.God knows how long I took before I immersed myself in the bath!Of course, once I was inside, I had the pleasure of enjoying the scenery of the beautiful garden which, at that time was all pink and white with spring blossoms.

• Written April 13, 2004