Banana Backpackers

helipad @ top of Yongmasanhelipad @ top of Yongmasan

Bustling Insa-DongBustling Insa-Dong

Cats Hotel, Seoul

by SandiM

I am searching for a hotel in Insadong and expedia came up with one called the Cats Hotel. I tried searching for reviews or a website for this property but nothing comes up except on expedia. Has anyone heard of this place? is it nice? It looks like it got renovated in 2007 (expedia source). Is there a direct website to make further inquiries etc? I dont' see it listed on tripadvisor or on VT. thanks!

Re: Cats Hotel, Seoul

by Jake_Kim

I haven't used this facility myself, but from what I could gather, not all guests of this place necessarily have accomodation per se in mind. They have a 'daytime rent' scheme apart from regular accomodation booking.
(Source: http://www.hotel365.co.kr/Lodg/Onepage.asp?acode=A5000254 ; you might as well think of it as a Korean equivalent of Expedia Hotel section)

Their own website doesn't seem to exist.

Travel Tips for Seoul

Seoul Tip

by jeaniek13

I've been to Seoul 5 times since 1985. In '85, I was in Korea for 2 weeks with my family. It was culture shock for our family, especially for my sister and me who'd been raised in the States. 10 years later, I returned for 2 months to attend a summer Korean language session at Yonsei University in Seoul. I later realized that this was a summer party for Korean-Americans. It didn't matter, as those 2 months broke any stereotypes I had of Seoul after my visit in '85. Then, in Summer '95 I came to Korea for a year--a volunteer stint at an orphange/social welfare center in NW Seoul. It was a memorable year, I met and still maintain contact with many special caring individuals. It was also a time to enjoy and relish life, escapism really. 2 years later, in '99, I visited my sister who was attending the same summer session I had 4 years before her. I stayed in Korea for 2 weeks--during which we visited Hong Kong and Macao. Late last year, I was in Seoul for 10 days on business. I draw whatever opinions and suggestions based on these stays.

Seoul Has a Surprising Number of Churches

by AKtravelers

One of the more surprising aspects of Seoul is the number of Christian churches, often located in prominent places. With the exception of the Philippines, there are more Christians in South Korea than any other East Asian nation. I believe about 20% of the Korean population claims to belong to one of the Christian religions.

Ginseng

by yellowbell

If a visit to China is not complete without drinking tea, a visit to Korea is not complete without having a taste of ginseng. We went to this ginseng factory where this venerable root was sold as tea, as beauty powder, and mixed in soup.

I have tasted this ginseng chicken soup with the chicken so tender, it easily breaks apart, so you can eat the sticky rice inside. I love it because it's not spicy!

Business: Business Cards are...

by carstenj

Business: Business Cards are used as name cards so stock up before going, you'll need them.
When handing it to someone, you do so using both hands and holding your card so your name is easily read.

Head for the hills

by LegalAlien

Korea has about 13 resorts scattered within an easy drive of Seoul. The largest is Yong Pyong (as far as lifts and runs) but Muju is higher in elevation and quickly becoming as large. You can rent anything and everything you'd ever need for skiing, but keep in mind that Koreans are normally smaller than westerners so if you have big feet, you may have a problem. Having skied at every resort during my 3 years in Seoul, Muju was by far my favorite and Yong Pyong the most challenging. If you are an average to above average skier the crowd thins the higher you go. So, if you don't mind herds of Koreans on their cell phones while skiing and all the other things associated with an over crowded Asian mountain than head for the hills. Rental rental everywhere but you can find some good deals on buying some gear, like gloves and glasses.

Comments