Centro

Costs 45% more and rated 20% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Seoul

Hangang ParkHangang Park

Donhwamun GateDonhwamun Gate

Store with masks of courseStore with masks of course

Insa-dongInsa-dong

Trip to Korea

by TeresaLim

Hi..Me again..

I am planning to go Korea 2012. I have some questions to plan my trip:

1) I don't like to cold so winter is out of topic. I like windy, not too cold weather...which season do you suggest if suitable?
2) Hotel suggestion: clean, have tv, hair dryer, safe facilities, moderate price. location to be near to main station for easy transportation.
3) Must eat restaurant..i like to try at the restaurant that local peoople like..
4) Cinemas - i like to watch movie there..what is the ticket price?
5) Dos & Don't of local culture..

Thank you.

by pieter_jan_v

5) Dos & Don't of local culture

Don't ask question that you know must be answered with NO (NO is a no-no).

PJ

by DSwede

1) Second half of September and October would be my first recommendation. Second would be May and first half of June.
2) Seoul is massive city with hundreds of neighborhoods. Bus and subway make the entire city very easy to navigate. You should choose what neighborhood you want to stay in first, then look for hotel second.
3) With a population of the greater area over 18M, there is no shortage of restaurants. Unless you read hangul or have Korean friends, I would simply walk around and choose by which has the best looking pictures (they will many times have pictures of their food on the signs outside) and by which smells the best. I will tell you that the better, more-local restaurants will not have any English.
4) Tickets for movies will start at ~8000 KRW. The new 3D movies will be about 14000 KRW
5) I have some cultural tips on my pages for starters

by TeresaLim

Thanks for the information!!

Travel Tips for Seoul

Public Toilet

by GracesTrips

I didn't use this type of public toilet but I took a photo of it for your reference. There are public restrooms that can be found in the underground shopping areas. See my warning tip on how to get the toilet paper.

I didn't see too many of these types of toilets but this one was located in the Namdaemun Market area.

Korean Restaurants

by machomikemd

Korean Restaurants are obviously found everywhere in south korea. One major tip here is that all small korean restaurants have a particular specialty (it doesn't mean that they only serve that specialty, but besides the specialty, only limited culinary offerings are on the menu) like bulgogi, samgyeopsal, sanmgyetang, dak galbi, etc.

if you want to have a wide variety of dishes, then go to the big restaurants.

the secret of JARS

by ancient_traveler

When one visits any countryside area in Korea,there stand rows of large and small jars resting on platforms. Spices, sauces and pickles that have fermented over this process can last for many years, gaining depth in taste. All in all, the jar- platform is the treasure house that ‘holds’ Korean flavor.

Learn Korean little bit before...

by happytrip

Learn Korean little bit before starting your trip. If you speak Korean a little to Koreans, they will fell you respect Korea nad it's culture.
EX> An-Nyoung-Ha-Se-Yo---> Hi, Hello!
Ko-Map-Sum-Ni-Da ---> Thank you.

Bitter cold

by Edith49

I needed an extra bag to bring home all the things I bought in South Korea. I found things very inexpensive there and I bought quite a few souvenirs. I visited in February and it was bitter, bitter cold. I live in the Pacific Northwest and our winters are relatively mild, so I froze my you know what off. Although my son told me it was cold, I was just not prepared for the reality of it and I had to buy a scarf and a hat and I wished I'd had my long johns, too! The only problem I really had is that I don't read Korean, so I was never sure what things were and I had a hard time finding hand lotion. Not sure why that was, but I eventually found some in the bus station of all places. I was able to find film and batteries for my 35m and rechargeable batteries for my digital. I was unable to recharge my video camera however. And I couldn't view my pictures on my son's computer because the USB cables are different there or something like that - not my area of expertise, sorry. I highly recommend sturdy walking shoes - there are stairs everywhere and if you do any of the temples or palaces, some of the grounds are quite extensive. We rode the bus everywhere we went and both my son and I carried a paperback book with us to pass the time. I also took a map and a guidebook with me everywhere I went.

Comments