Grand Intercontinental Seoul

Booking.com InterContinental Expedia.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

another top-end Asian hotel

This is yet another example of great top-end Asian hotels. Everyone is bowing to you from before you enter the lobby.

We had booked an Executive Club room. We went to the main check-in counter and waited maybe 40 seconds. The lady saw our reservation and was horrified that we had had to wait at the common check-in area. She came from behind the counter and ushered us over to the Executive Club check-in lounge and seated us on a sofa. The lady in charge of that area immediately offered us courtesy drinks and proceeded to check us in.

The rooms were large, modern, spotless, and had luxurious en-suite bathrooms. Most of the staff can speak some English. I would recommend this hotel to others, especially the Executive Club experience.

More about Grand Intercontinental Seoul

Stylish Bar and Lounge

by mjlee about Blush

I recommend that you should visit the bar and lounge "Blush" at Grand Intercontinental Seoul. Cozy sofas, cushions and unique interior design inspired by trees and flowers create an even more relaxing atmosphere. The price is very reasonable. If you order one drink, you can get one extra free drink every Monday. Also, you can enjoy 5 drinks for only the price of W30,000 (around $30) every Tuesday. You should go and enjoy with excellet circumstance. Any Special dress code is not required.

Mainly a Hotel Tip

by SurfaceTravel

"1992 - twelve hours"

I first stayed here for 12 hours when transferring on Korean Airlines from Canada to Bangkok. Back then the airline used to bus you into the centre of town, put you up at the Lotte Hotel overnight, complete with meal vouchers, and bus you back to the airport the next morning. This was an excellent deal, especially since I had booked this airline because they were the cheapest option. The Lotte is an excellent top-end 5-star hotel right downtown. I was able to walk around and see the city.

You are supposed to cross the roads using pedestrian underpasses. I jay-walked across the surface once and was immediately accosted by a police officer. He was bawling me out and had his ticket book open, scribbling away, but the language barrier was so absolute that he had to give up in the end.

"2000 - two days"

This was another stop-over on the way home from South East Asia, this time with my wife. It was quite chilly and there was snow on the ground. We stayed at the excellent Grand InterContinental Seoul hotel (see tip). We went to a museum where the signs of the exhibits were very pro-Korea and slightly anti-Japan. We saw an old palace (sorry, I forget which one; this is before I blogged) with under-floor heating. We also went shopping at the Marks & Spencers: same goods, half the price.

I had yet another brush with the law in Korea. There is a lot of security at the airport. I estimate that we went through 2 metal detectors and luggage scans, passed 3 sets of guards armed with submachine guns, and showed our passports to at least 6 officials between the plane and the taxi.

I had purchased a dozen $20 Rolex watches from Chinatown, Kuala Lumpur to bring home for friends. One of the first x-ray machines must have seen them. We were in the very long line for customs. An official walked up to us and motioned us to follow him over to a separate area. We could not communicate to each other at all, except by hand motions. He motioned us to open one specific bag. I shrugged and asked if he was looking for anything specific. He motioned his watch. The watches were in the bag we had opened. This was what he was concerned about. We managed to convey that they were fake, but maybe that was the problem. Long, long story short: we signed some piece of paper (which was Korean) and he took the watches. We think he was saying that we could retrieve them again on the way out of the country; he said the word "receipt".

When heading out to Canada, we arrived at the airport well and early to see if we could figure this out. Another long story, but in the end we handed in the receipt and got the watches back.

Where to shop if staying at Coex Intercontinental Seoul

by mcao1

Hi, i will be staying in Seoul from 19-22 Jan'08 at the Coex Intercontinental Seoul. It's my first time there.Virtually I have the 19th & 20th (weekend) to spend shopping. So can you advise some main shopping area that I can get through this 2 days. Is location of the hotel convenient to go shopping. Thanks

Re: Where to shop if staying at Coex Intercontinental Seoul

by olddude

Seoul itself is one huge shopping area. That said, where you are staying is an area called Gangnam and is one of the most expensive parts of Seoul. The major shopping areas are Dongdaemun, Namdaemun, Myongdong, Itaewon, Insadong, and Apkujong. Apkujong is close to your hotel but it is rather expensive. The other areas are easily accessible via subway. Don't worry the subway is very easy to use. Just check my pages or Vita500 (Robert) pages for more info. Here is one of the most extensive sites about Korea that you will find on the web:

www.tour2korea.com

Re: Where to shop if staying at Coex Intercontinental Seoul

by exitnotebook

Coex is actually a large mall, so you could start there. Depending on what you're looking for, MyeongDong, is the most popular shopping district for people 20 ~ 30. Apgujeong is full of designer shops and there's an upscale Hyundai department store there. Dongdaemun caters more to the high-school crowd and many of the shops require bartering skills.

MyeongDong is probably your best bet because it's centrally located, easy to get to by subway, and there are also lots of great restaurants. MyeongDong is also close to InsaDong. This is a great neighbourhood to shop for souvenirs as well as traditional and contemporary art. Many great restaurants in traditional houses along the back alleys of InsaDong, as well.

Happy shopping!