JIN Guest House

80-1 Pildong 2-ga Jung-gu Seoul, Jung-gu Seoul, Seoul, 100-272, South Korea
HostelBookers.com

More about Seoul

JumpingMommy with me in South Korea, June 7, 2010JumpingMommy with me in South Korea, June 7, 2010

Seoul, City HallSeoul, City Hall

Amsa-dong "Ecosystem Landscape Conservation Area"Amsa-dong "Ecosystem Landscape Conservation Area"

drink!drink!

Let's meet up in Seoul (February 28 or March 1, 2010) :-)

Hello!

We are now planning a trip to Seoul!
And we would love to meet VTers living or visiting there. :-)

For example, eating dinner (Korean food) together sounds great, doesn't it?
We will arrive at Seoul on February 27th evening, and then we will leave Seoul on March 2.

Looking forward to your replies :-)
Hope to see you...

by Eurasian68

Tooooo bad I cannot be there!!! I miss Korean fooooooooooood. Have fun!

by AyurinHiro

Thanks for your reply :-)

Yes, I also miss Korean food and Korean massage!
This time, I am planning to stay at Korean style hotel (traditional korean house). We are looking forward to it :-)

by bryankang

Hi Ayurin, Hiro sang

Let me propose MAKGULI( traditional rice wine ) tour with me!
It will be great when you can bear hang-over :-)
Also I wish we can gather with another VTers together !

Hi,Bryan-san!

Wow, we are really happy to receive your reply!!
To be honest, after receiving your comment on the other day, I was thinking to write to you an email to ask if we could meet you and your family :-)

Thank you very much for your reply!
About MAKGULI, unfortunately we can't drink alcohol :-( I'm sorry...
We feel dizzy when we drink alcohol... Oh, we wish we could enjoy Korean rice wine! Korean MAKGULI is famous in Japan,too.
But we are sure we can enjoy delicious Korean foods together!
(We like Korean foods...such as Kimchee, Barbeque, Seaweed sheet, etc..)

We are so happy to be able to meet you and your family :-)
Thank you so much!
Ohh, really looking forward to seeing you!

by bryankang

I am disappointed to miss MAGUKY with you :-)
But I am looking forward to meet you with my family
My wife will host our ordinary humble dinner !

I forward my adress and phone number for your visit'

Bryan

Hi again, Bryan!

Thank you very much for your reply :-)

Yes, It is a pity that we can't drink Magkuli :-(
But we like Korean foods!

Just now I sent you an email to tell you our contact numbers,
and to discuss our meeting :-)

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing you!

Travel Tips for Seoul

Food: Bibimbab

by emilytyc

This is also a popular dish... I love the taste. You have rice, meat, vegetables and paste served on a HOT claypot. Once the dish is served, use your utensils, and MIX everything together. You will hear sizzling sounds as you mix! ;o)

Enjoy!

Palaces, Palaces, Palaces ....

by MEdelmann

Even if you have less time, Seoul offers a lot.
Here are some tips what to do in Seoul. Start your sight seeing tour at Gyeongbokgung Palace. There are five palaces of the Joseon Dynasty in Seoul, but Gyeongbokgung is the most comprehensive and grandest of all ....

The Asian Style Toilet

by kdoc13

If you have read my other pages, you have probably seen this already, if not, pay attention. It just may save your life!

For the uninitiated, the Asian style toilet is supposed to be more sanitary than the western ones. However they are a little confusing to the savages from the west. So, here is a little primer on the privies of the far east.

Most importantly, bring toilet paper and towels with you as they are not always provided in public facilities! The other thing to remember is that some places charge for use of their facilities, so bring change otherwise you may be on the outside looking in. This is especially true in Japan, not so much in Korea, although some places do.

First thing to know, the front of the toilet is the raised curved part below the tank in the picture here. You stand with legs on either side of the basin and drop your pants around your knees. Next, you squat over the basin, and go about business, making sure to keep your balance while you do.

The next part is the trickiest, to flush the paper or not. There is some debate over this. Many Asian style toilets will have a small trash can next to them with a plastic bag in them, I have been told this is where you place the soiled paper. But I have also seen ones that don't have this little can. If that is the case, I have assumed that it is ok to flush the toilet paper there. I am waiting for someone with more experience to correct me on this, so far none have.

If you are in some places in Asia, there may be a pair of slippers outside the door. This is so you don't dirty your own shoes, or in case you are in your socks.

If you are at the home of a person who has an Asian style toilet, don't be afraid to ask them how to use one, it is not uncommon, and you won't lose face for doing so. For further instruction, see the web page linked below for general instructions.

Lastly, public toilets are very hard to find in Korea. The key word to know is Hwajongshil. Most of the locals can point you in the right direction from there.

HANBOK

by ancient_traveler

Hanbok has been the Korean traditional costume for thousands years, has straight lines, gentle curves and simple design. Exquisite materials, color and texture add variety and beauty. The beauty and grace of Korean culture can be seen in photographs of women dressed in the Hanbok. Before the arrival of Western-style clothing one hundred years ago, the hanbok was everyday attire. Hanbok is worn on traditional holidays, ceremonious occasion and special events.

The song of Heyri

by yukisanto

Heyri Art Valley (or as some folks call, Heyri art village) is about an hour's ride from Seoul. It's in gyeonggi-do, paju-si. What's really unique here is the architecture and the way of life. Artists live on the upper floors and exhibit their work in the galleries on the basement or ground floor. Entrance to the various galleries is a token 1000won.

You can also chill out at the many cafes there. I loved the chocolate design gallery (it's a cafe). Prices are around 5000-7000won for a latte or dessert. (www.chocolategallery.co.kr)
Lovely in spring, and poetic in winter. Really gives you inspiration for your artistic works =)

How to get there: At Exit no. 5 of Daehwa Station (Seoul Subway Line no. 3), walk to the bus station at the backside. Take bus no. 200 which comes about every hour. (1,400 won, 50 minute ride)

Comments