Sheraton Grande Walker Hill Hotel and Towers Seoul

Booking.com Travelocity Sheraton.com

Costs 68% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• jburron's Profile Photo

Up and Away From it All

I stayed here during my first trip to Seoul in Nov 99. It was quite a good spot. Not all that convenient compared to the downtown places like, say, Westin Chosun or Fraser Suites, but it it nice to get away from the city for a while, too.

Actually, Walker Hill is still in Seoul, but it is perched high up on a hill and feels more like you're not in the middle of a dense city (yet, you are).

Unique Quality: The Walker Hill was the centerpiece to one of the SK chaebol's a few decades back when it was built. Since then it has retained a top-class feel (and clientele) with many visitors from Japan (some floors are pure Japanese) and elsewhere. The show (see my review) is a sight to be seen--half Korean, half Nevadan/Vegas. There's also a casino, if that's your pleasure.

The rack rate is 340,000 won a night (USD 300) plus 10% VAT and service charge (Diamond Suites in the Tower are 3,100,000 won!) so you'd better have the corporate card for this one.

Directions: Free shuttle every 20 mins from Kangbyun Station (Line 2) and Gwangnaru (Line 5) as well as from Incheon Airport (12,000 won) or kimpo (6,000 won). Any taxi will know as well.

• kumachan200x's Profile Photo

Casino Hotel in Seoul

The Sheraton Walker Hill Hotel and Towers is located in northeastern Seoul, on the 139-acre site of the ancient A-Cha fortress, which dates back to the Shilla Dynasty (57 BC-668 AD). The Sheraton is just far enough from downtown to enjoy clean, fresh air - yet still near enough to allow guests to reach almost any section of the city by a short taxi ride, on one of the hotel's regular shuttles or via the safe and efficient subway system.

More about Sheraton Grande Walker Hill Hotel and Towers Seoul

Luxurious to-the-power-of-three!

by ghweeh about Sheraton Grande Walker Hill – Douglas Executive Cl

We stayed in the Douglas Executive Club which was probably the cheapest range in this 5* hotel. It was located in its own separate section from the main hotel, with even a laptop in every room. It was grand and yet cosy….and the services were rather unexpected. I wanted to call home but was not able to find a public phone so I asked the Duty Manager. He told me that public phones were only available at the main hotel. So I asked him for the direction to the main hotel. But he said he would arrange for a transport to take me there. Then I waited…waited….and waited…for about half-an-hour but the transport never appeared. I decided to wait no more and asked the Duty Manager to point me the direction so that I could find my own way there… But he kept telling me NO…and started talking in Korean over the phone…and this time, we waited at the entrance together! Finally “my” limousine with chauffeur arrived… Once again, the Duty Manager mumbled some Koreans to the driver. Thought the sequel ended here….but NOPE. After my call, I walked towards the bellboy trying to ask him for the direction back to the hotel. Then I noticed someone walking quickly over and realised that it was “my” chauffeur waiting outside the hotel. The mumbling was probably some instruction for him to wait around to send me back.

My first experience with Korean’s thoughtful service industry, given that a foreigner could be rather handicap in Korea if we do not speak the language.

Walker Hill Casino

by clsan

This casino only allow tourist to be there and it is pretty small scale. If you are not keen for casino, you can walk around the place for some photography. Walk down the road, following the river, you can see Han Jang Bridge which is pretty spectacular.

The Walker Hill Show

by kdoc13 about The Walker Hill Show

I think when I read the card for this I mis-read it as the Benny Hill show. I mean, who wouldn't want to see that, right? unfortunately Benny hill died in the 90's and I went to the Walker Hill show instead. I only say unfortunately because it was so expensive.

The show itself is actually pretty neat. There is a lot of traditional Korean folk music, and dance, and if you get the meal package, the meal is very nice. Plus, there are ladies in skimpy clothing during the "rock show" which is always something that the Kdoc enjoys. (read that as, kdoc desperately needs a girlfriend.)

There are 2 shows nightly, one at 5pm the other around 9. Costs range from 60,000 won to 90,000, depending on whether you want just wine, or a four course meal and decent seating. It is a nicer show. I wore a suit and was not at all out of place.

searching for a guesthouse

by cdevega

Hi!

I'll be in South Korea first week of February for a convention at Sheraton Walker Hill Hotel( at 21 Gwangjang-Dong, Gwangjin-Gu) . I am travelling on a tight budget, can someone please advise me what guesthouse is nearest to the venue? My budget is maximum 40-5O dollars per night. Preferably a guesthouse, that offers a single room with private toilet and bath? Do I need to make reservations? And how far away is it from the venue? Thanks alot!

RE: searching for a guesthouse

by olddude

This is a link to a list of hostels and guesthouses in Seoul. The ones I would recommend are on the northern and western side of Seoul, but the Shraton Walker Hill is in eastern Seoul. However the subway is quick and efficent. Check my pages for how to use the subway. Also another option for you would be to stay at a yeogwan (small motel) which are all over the place and they would be within your budget as well.

RE: RE: searching for a guesthouse

by Vita500

The Walker Hill Hotel is actually a little off the path, very nice location but hard to get to by public transport. It's quite a long walk from the closest subway station. They do offer free shuttle buses though... even though they are not easy to find.

Best way would probably be the take the subway to Gangbyeon station (line 2) and the proceed by taxi. It's a good 5-minute ride and not very expensive.

For guesthouses, I think olddude gave you a good link to check out.
Yeogwans or Motels (no reservations possible though) might also be an interesting idea as they can be found everywhere...

Cheers,