Grand

Orbitz.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Costs 31% more and rated 18% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Daegu

Sing it! Let it all out!Sing it! Let it all out!

Two other hikers enjoying the view and some soju.Two other hikers enjoying the view and some soju.

Daegu anyone?

by iwys

Has anyone been to Daegu? If so, could you tell me what you thought of the place? I've scoured VT, but there is almost nothing about it.

Re: Daegu anyone?

by olddude

I've been a few times. It is just another big Korean city (third largest). It's nickname is the "apple capital". It has subway system, but only 2 lines (smaller than Seoul's) It is also the location of the world famous Daegu subway disaster (some *** tried to kill himself by setting a fire in the subway...he lived; about 200 other people didn't) Some of the World Cup 2002 games were played there. Daegu is like Seoul, but has a lot more greenery and the pace is a little slower.
Anything else you want to know in particular?

by iwys

Is it the sort of place you'd be happy to live in for a year? Is there a big foreign community there?

by olddude

That is a bad question. Happy is what you make it; anywhere you go. I lived in Korea for 8 years and loved it. Check out the city's website at:

and decide for yourself (don't worry, it is mostly in English). As far as a foreigner "community" of sorts I am not sure. There are 3 US military installations there and there are civilians that work for them so there are quite a few foreigners in the area. Population of Daegu is about 3 million wiht about 25,000 foreigners. I am betting you are going there to teach English? I don't think you will be lonely though. Here is another link for you:

It is a community forum so you can hook up with other expats all over Korea as well as in Daegu.

Re: Daegu anyone?

by detroitguy

Hi Iways,

I was wondering if you're in Daegu yet? I'm going to be arriving on November 23rd. I'm going to be teaching English at LCI Kids Club for one year and don't know a soul yet. I'm a little nervous, but very excited!

by iwys

I'll be at Woosong University, if everything goes according to plan. I'm going to be there on my own too, so it sure would be great to meet up.

by jckim

Welcome to Mystery( ? ) Country Korea ^^.
Dae-gu is in the 3rd city of Korea.
just called city of Apple. and modern city..
Brian and Ian! have a great time at Korea!!
sorry my poor english, in the presence of english teacher^^
Cheers...
kim

RE: RE: Daegu anyone?

by miketrudeau

My wife and I have been teaching here for almost two months, and we love it. It is a bit more laid back than Seoul or Busan, and the locals are just such a friendly bunch that they've really charmed the socks off us both. That is to say, as long as you're courteous to them, they will return it generously. Because it's surrounded by forested hills, it doesn't feel like a sprawling concrete jungle.
I know, it's strange that there's really nothing on VT about it eh? I'm trying to slowly change that...
Overall I'd say come one come all! Don't listen to people who say it's just one more big city.
Oh, there's an American military base here, and the soldiers have a very bad rep. So make sure you don't look or act like a soldier on leave!

RE: Daegu anyone?

by chokl8chip

I wanted to visit my GI friend who is stationed at Daegu and I am currently in Uijongbu. He suggested to take the bullet train from Seoul to Dongdaegu but I dont have much information on how much it cost, the time schedule, and how I would get from the station to his post or nearby accommodation (I'm a GI myself, so I have to be in a "safe lodging" before curfew). I also read that there is a bus from Seoul to Daegu, apparently its cheaper but I dont know what route it will take. Please advise.

Travel Tips for Daegu

Hiking on the Weekends

by miketrudeau

The Koreans of Daegu love hiking. The city is surrounded by forested mountains, and riddled with trails. On nice summer weekends there is an exodus to these mountains, and the trails fill up with people decked out in hiking gear.
In Canada, there are people who bike to work every day and yet wear the most scientifically advanced biking gear, and have two water bottles strapped around there waste. You see the same sort of thing here, with hikers. On a three km trail you'll see people with titanium climbing sticks, special shoes, and vests loaded with pockets. These guys could survive for a month in the Amazon Jungle decked out like this. Anyways, it's just a funny quirk of some of the population.
So that being said, the hiking is really fun. Even though the trails are generally crowded on weekends, they are still really nice and fresh air is always welcome. Give it a try!

Comments