Amaya Hills Hotel Kandy

Tags

Arts and Culture Historical Travel Festivals
See Amenities

We felt cheated and shortened our trip in Amaya Hi

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 6, 2009

I and my husband planned a three day visit to Kandy and planned to stay in Amaya Hills. Since I am pregnant I wanted a peaceful stay in a Kandy. To our great shock the manager Mr. Manager charged us $110 per room saying that it is a deluxe room, and when I inquired with the staff at Amaya Hills I came to know that there are no rooms such as deluxe room or standard rooms, all rooms are same in the hotel . Further I also contacted a travel agent who quoted only $ 80 for the same room. When I asked Mr. Manager regarding this matter he bluntly and rudely said that this is a hotel business and that you will have to pay $110 irrespective of the service and the type of room. The room was pathetic and smelly and two single beds were joined for a couple which was a bad idea. The food was average and less variety. Over all it was a humiliating experience at Amaya Hills and we cut short our visit in the hotel. Did not get value for money. I would never recommend it to anyone. I should add that the staff is quite good excluding the manager.

WStat's Profile Photo

Colonial Hill Resort

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 20, 2006

After having mastered the long and winding "road" 7 km way up the hill from Kandy, you will feel in the last century. (although the hotel seems to have been refurbished a couple of years ago)
A very nice and (on the first glance ) "luxurious" reception area above the pool in connection with the stunning views down in the Kandy valley,gives you the feeling of having arrived in former colonial times.So does the valley-view room in Sri Lankan style, with bathroom, tub and shower
Those are more or less the positive sides of the coin; service is average, the dining-room resembles a waiting-room in a train-station, the food just lives up to the expectation, you might have to a waiting-room also. Waiters are not very well trained and adhere to a rather complicated checklist, before serving your order.
Food as such, especially at the buffet-dinners, has been sometimes good, but never reaching a 4-star standard.

Unique Quality: Wonderful, breathtaking views; superb sunsets with the distant sounds of Kandyan temple ceremonies.
7 km out of Kandy, taking about 30 minutes from Kandy center.

Directions: Shortly before reaching Kandy`s city limits a small unpaved road leads up to Amaya Hill

Nearby Amaya Hills Hotel Kandy

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Kandy Travel Forum

Need advice about Kandy, Sri Lanka? Visit the Travel Forum for Kandy and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kandy hotel reviews