Kandy Hotels

Our Members Say

• aleciani profile photo aleciani
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sedevo Chalets: budget accommodation and friendly hosts

Our stay in Kandy was for 1 week and after researching many places we decided to stay at this place.. The hosts (a young couple) were fantastic and went out of the way to make our stay comfortable. It's located in a village surrounding and we were even taken on a mini tour to view the village. Gave us great insight into the real village life. The place itself is very new, and clean. You get your own private bungalow and there are only 3 in the complex with a nice garden. not much activity offered in the premises but great place to relax. Shana and Kanishka, hope to visit you all again in our next visit.

Good place to relax with calm quiet surroundings.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written April 1, 2014

• jo104 profile photo jo104

Ancient Lanka: Stylish hotel affordable prices

I stayed here for the first time in July and seeing as I am blessed to be residing in Sri Lanka and really enjoyed my stay here I have been back 2 more times since.

The hotel is situated in the beautiful leafy Aniwathatha district and being set on a hill gives spectacular views of Kandy. The rooms have that boutique feel about them all with king size beds and thick sprung mattresses.including delicious hot water on tap.

Dining is a wonderful experience their rice and curry is to die for and if you want that romantic vibe ask for a table to be put on the balcony. There is also a swimming pool so a pre dinner dip was in order a nice welcome addition.

The staff and management were very accomodating and friendly.

great views, stunning pool, modern vibe

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written September 5, 2013

• jo104 profile photo jo104

Nethmi Villa: Nethmi Villa - Upper Lake District

Nalin manages a great guesthouse with 7 rooms on 2 levels each with its own balcony and a roof top veranda offering spectacular views of the Kandy Lake. The rooms are clean, comfortable and affordable with the benefit of having amazing hot showers. There is free wifi which is a big bonus and the staff are friendly & the management can arrange any onward travel or trips that you need.

I always stay here whenever I am in Kandy and send my guests from trincomalee here too. It is a nice quiet haven to relax in while you take in the kandy sights. Ahead of time Nalin can organise train tickets etc.

• Related to: Trains, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 22, 2013
Tip Photo

• abi_maha profile photo abi_maha
  • Reviews: 581

Villa 49: Villa 49- A Charming Bungalow

We had a very pleasant stay at Villa 49 in Kandy. The hostess was very well spoken and considerate. This bungalow is very close to the tooth relic temple and the kandy lake. However the car park is cramped and can accomodate only 1 or 2 cars at a time. Also there is no lift and all the rooms are located in the upper floors. The breakfast is good home made food and jams.

• Written February 19, 2013

The breakfast area

• Traveling-Roy profile photo Traveling-Roy
  • Reviews: 2

Sujatha's Homestay: Excellent Value for Money and Friendly Hosts

After a long drive from Hambantota we arrived around 10:00 PM, much later than we had announced but our hosts welcomed us with a big smile. We were tired and hungry and we had booked only bed & breakfast. But our hosts, Sujatha and Onella had a warm complete dinner ready on the table for us when we had refreshed after a shower. A rice & curry had never tasted any better. Our hosts were very attentive and helpful right throughout our stay and we will recommend this homestay for anyone who seek an alternative to a hotel.

This is a recently started homestay with 2 double rooms for guests. The room on the ground floor has an attached bathroom and for the room upstairs, the bathroom is detached. Both the bathrooms are modern and have running hot water. The room on the ground floor did not have a window blind, so the sun came in through the thin curtains after about 09:00 AM. We pointed out this to our hosts and this might have now been rectified. Our stay was in mid March 2012.

During our stay, we were told that a website is been constructed. If someone googles for "sujatha's homestay kandy" their website could be found if now online.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written May 16, 2012

Our host family with Anna from Germany

• HansDK profile photo HansDK
  • Reviews: 14

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Senani Hotel: Average

Stayed one night during visit to Kandy for the Perahera.

The rooms just below the open air restaurant are said to be the best in the hotel, but the noise from the restaurant is a great disadvantage, especially the lift from the kitchen in the basement to the restaurant. People were coming back from the Perahera to have their dinner until after 1 am, and they started the breakfast already at 530 am.

I had room 205 which had a great view (I guess that room 204 has an even better view). It was a nice big room with satellite TV and minibar. However too much space was taken up by a third bed. The bed was nice but the pillows were horrible.

Nice big bathroom, but the shower cubicle in the corner was tiny.

Food was at the best average. Midnight dinner was a 5 course set menu. As in many other hotels the chicken was steaming hot, while the mashed potatoes and vegetables were cold. Breakfast was buffet. Only service from the waiter was when he asked how I wanted my eggs prepared.

I was happy that my guide avoided to pay the Perahera supplement, so I only paid LKR 5,000 for the room.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture, Festivals
  • Written September 25, 2010

• ViajesdelMundo profile photo ViajesdelMundo
  • Reviews: 277

SPICA HOLIDAY HOME: Quiet, Garden Setting Home Stay in KANDY

I have stayed here twice and thoroughly enjoyed both times. The rooms are very reasonably priced and comfortable with own baths, great food upon request,and you can even book pick-up from Colombo if needed. The owners/hosts are lovely people who do their best to answer questions and provide assistance.

A quiet location in nearby hills with good views; very attentive, hospitable hosts

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Arts and Culture, Budget Travel
  • Written August 19, 2008

MY Room on both stays

• kentishgirl profile photo kentishgirl
  • Reviews: 1390

Highest View Hotel: Cheap Hotel with super views

This budget hotel is located on the same steep road where most of Kandy's budget hotels are. The views from up here are absolutely superb, but it is a fairly steep road to walk up with a lot of luggage! There are always tuktuks hanging around though so it wont be a problem.

He has a few different types of rooms here, we took a double with a balcony and our own bathroom. There was hot water and a fan.

We were told to keep our room door closed onto the balcony and to not keep clothes lying around on the balcony. I became concerned and the man said that the monkeys have been known to take what they like and come in if the doors are left open!! LOL....I witnessed the monkeys later climbing into a window a few buildings over later in the week!

This is probably the cleanest hotel I ever stayed in, the man here used to run a hotel in Switzerland and the cleanliness there has obviously rubbed off on him which is great!
They serve food upstairs in the modern restaurant and will bring you tea and coffee to drink in your room if you would like.

I found this hotel to be exceptionally friendly, clean and pleasant and if I was heading back to Kandy I would head straight back here.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written April 8, 2007

Kandy Views

• hydronetta profile photo hydronetta

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Star Light Guesthouse: Spartan budget option

For 900 SLR (single room) it was just not bad for strict budget accommodation. Rather small room, ensuite bathroom but reasonably kept. It’s not situated in the heart of Kandy but on a lane where most budget accommodations are located. Nevertheless it’s a pleasant walk to downtown by the lake shores.

• Written September 9, 2006
Tip Photo

• alycat profile photo alycat
  • Reviews: 436

The Planters Hotel: Opulent

For pure opulence I stayed at the Planters Hotel Suisse for a night. I reached late for check-in, took a warm and still had a yummy dinner at 12 midnight. It has a plush look and I got a huge marbled paradise room. The room and giant balcony overlook Kandy's picturesque lake and the hotel also has a swimming pool. Take a walk round the lake to The Temple of the Tooth and hire a guide, there's too much too miss if you don't. The fascinating history of Buddhism is explained throughout the temple's buildings and Monks still live and worship here.

Serene and a gr8 view from the open air dining hall of the Kandy Lake.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written July 1, 2006

• LS18 profile photo LS18
  • Reviews: 12

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Castle Hill Guest House: Kandy Guest House

Castle Hill Guest House , as its name suggests, is situated high on the hill overlooking the lake in Kandy. Its an old colonial house, which was obviously owned by a very wealthy family-it has beautiful gardens and a fantastic view over Kandy. It is however quite a long walk into town- around 15 minutes down a steep hill. You definitely need a tuk-tuk to get back.

If you like a taste of the past , this place is for you. In terms of furniture etc, it fells like stepping back into the 1950's. The rooms are absolutely huge-around 3 times the size of a normal hotel room. However, I got the feeling that the current owners aren't really devoting much attention to the place. We never met the owner-it seems to be run by house keepers. Also, it was a bit 'frayed around the edges'. eg carpets were well worn, ants in the bathroom, shower curtain covered in mildew, lights fused when plugging an adaptor in!!. All little things which could be easily fixed and make this a really nice place to stay. Its a shame the owners don't seem willing to put the effort in.

Another point to note-breakfast (and dinner if you opt for half board) is eaten at one communal table with other guests. Not ideal therefore if you're planning a romantic night!

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written February 17, 2006

• matseb profile photo matseb
  • Reviews: 73

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Empire: ~~~ Low Budget guesthouse ~~~

This place is really unique. You can't call it a hotel though. In the Western world, it would get no rating stars.

The building is made out of wood and seems to be at least 70 years old. The rooms are all located in the first floor. The hotel is only good for sleeping and washing (few showers on the hall way). I found it very nice to sit at the balcony in the first floor looking to the temple (see pic at my Kandy intro) though.

By the way part I: On checking out procedures they wanted me to pay a 10 % service charge. That was not part of the deal on checking in procedures and most important they haven't done any service for me at all that four days (bed sheets, cleaning)! I insisted no to pay this and so it had been waived.
By the way part II: in case of fire one is really F*C**D (no outside stairs, no extingushers)

* no private bathrooms
* no air con, just a fan (you can't stay there at daytime because it's too hot)
* no protection of insects (multiple ripped moskito net, spaces between the wall)
* bad insulation (yes it get's gold in the night)
* insect visits
* bad to no service (bed sheets used by the pre-pre-pre guest, spider webs everywhere)
* low key restaurant
* bad business performance

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written December 8, 2004

• thelittlevoice profile photo thelittlevoice
  • Reviews: 226

Le Kandyan Resort: Le Kandyan Resort

I wanna say that this was the best hotel I stayed in Sri Lanka but I can't because I couldn't sleep much at all. There were lots of mosquitos in my room. I'm not blaming anyone though, I had my window opened for a while without thinking they would come in. There was one point that I thought I wouldn't get to wake up to see tomorrow because they bit me too much. Anyway, I had my dinner and breakfast here and they were brilliant!

Le Kandyan rises from the bedrock on which it lies: majestic in all its Kandyan finery. Decorated in the traditional Kandyan colours of red, yellow and black, every corner holds a piece of work from the rich historical past of the town, beautifully incorporated into the layout of the hotel. The massive carved columns that once held up a castle roof now decorate the front lobby, and locally significant murals, flags and carvings now decorate the passageways and rooms.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written May 11, 2004
Tip Photo

• freya_heaven profile photo freya_heaven
  • Reviews: 1730

Thailanka Hotel: The 3 Amigoes

We stayed at the Thailanka Hotel during our travels around Sri Lanka. The evenings entertainment were these 3, playing South American Music. They were actually very good.

It was a bit surreal to be in Sri Lanka, in a Thai related hotel, being sung to by 3 Sri Lankan men dressed as Mexicans, singing South American Music, whilst eating European food!

(~_~)

• Written April 10, 2004

3 Amigos

• jennifermueller profile photo jennifermueller
  • Reviews: 66

Lake Mount Tourist Inn: Great Guesthouse in Kandy

The Lake Mount Tourist Inn was great (2 nights - Rs 6604 for 2 rooms, 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, several of pots of tea and bottles of water and a couple of phone calls, one international).

The rooms are tiny but clean (traveling companion -"It reminds me of home. They-re about the size of a studio apartment in DC" - grin). There are also several very pleasant common areas where we played cards after dinner.

We shared a very clean bathroom with some other rooms on the floor. Enough of the rooms apparently had their own bathrooms (some do) that we never had to wait for the bathroom.

We thought the food was very good (we just ordered the vegetable curry 90% of the time in Sri Lanka) if slightly more expensive than eating in town. It was just so convenient to eat dinner and breakfast in the rest house.

You can also buy tickets to the Kandyan Art Association & Cultural Center's dance performance (Rs 300) from the inn's owner, which was really helpful the first night.

The inn staff was really helpful. The main greeter/waiter/jack-of-all-trades guy didn-t appear to ever sleep. He was pretty surprised to see us a 5:30 in the morning as we left for the 6 am ceremony at the Sri Dalaga Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth).

They'll pick you up from town when you arrive if you call.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel